• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox backward compatible games program ends today. No more games.

intbal

They made an honest statement. Feels better than deliberately lying. They delivered so much, I am 100% satisfied with their effort.

Was it honest when they said the exact same thing 2 years ago?

Ezt2nN6.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to Shpehsal_Nick on the latest episode of the XboxEra podcast, licensing barriers for certain games would no longer be an issue under Microsoft. What these games are have not yet been revealed, although the source does say that players should not hold out hope for Marvel games, like Spider-Man and X-Men, because they involve more complicated licensing with Disney. If the Activision and Blizzard deal goes through, the insider states that the possible games to become available on Xbox One and Xbox Series X/S via backward compatibility should amount to two or three Xbox 360 titles under the umbrella of those studios. Despite Xbox backward compatibility updates coming to an end, this deal would bring these welcomed surprises to Xbox's collection of backward compatible titles.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The biggest problem with more BC games is licensing, not inability. The moment the ink is dry on the deal I expect a boat-load of Acti-Bizz games going back to the OG Xbox to hit Gamepass.
Are there that many xbox 360 Activision games out there?

Are there that many xbox 360 Activision games out there?
List of Acivision-published Xbox games.

Now obviously not every one of those games will be able to come to the BC program due to licensing issues. The Mouse sure as hell doesn't want people playing the Deadpool game for some reason for example. It will be interesting to actually play the CoD games when the entire back-catalogue hits Game Pass, as I've never cared enough to play them.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
was it Activision that bought Bizarre creations? could this mean we could finally see PGR in backwards compat if the deal goes through?

Kupfer

I need to know :

If I buy a Series X now, can I insert and play my supported OG XBOX and 360 games out of the box, without an internet connection and without updating anything?

My last Xbox was a 360 (first model with HDMI).

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I need to know :

If I buy a Series X now, can I insert and play my supported OG XBOX and 360 games out of the box, without an internet connection and without updating anything?

No, a profle needs to be downloaded.

SomeGit

I need to know :

You need internet, for 360 and OG games the disk only acts a check, you download the game completely.

This applies to Series X and Xbox one consoles.

Last edited:

Kupfer

How can you type here if you don't have Internet? 🤔
I have internet, but more importantly, I don't want to have to rely on providers, updates and downloads. So I just connect the old console to the TV and can play the original games - offline. It would have been handy to have one console for all games. If MS decides at some point to stop offering this BC service, you'll look stupid if you relied on it. Worst case scenario, I want to be able to run my TV and console completely offline via power storage / battery / power unit. Times are fragile.
And I don't find xbox games from the past 2 generations that important to have to buy a series x just for them.

Last edited:
I have internet, but more importantly, I don't want to have to rely on providers, updates and downloads. So I just connect the old console to the TV and can play the original games - offline. It would have been handy to have one console for all games. If MS decides at some point to stop offering this BC service, you'll look stupid if you relied on it. Worst case scenario, I want to be able to run my TV and console completely offline via power storage / battery / power unit. Times are fragile.
And I don't find xbox games from the past 2 generations that important to have to buy a series x just for them.
I understand your reasoning, but there's a reason they're making everybody download the games instead of being able to install from the DVD drive. The games they're delivering are custom modified/patched for the emulation method they have in place. If I recall correctly they don't even have the same size as the original DVD's, 7.5 GB becomes a 10 GB download or something.

You have no guarantee they'll still offer those for next gen after Xbox Series S/X, but you have the guarantee they'll keep the support this gen and probably a while afterwards even if they eventually drop it.

Kupfer

I understand your reasoning, but there's a reason they're making everybody download the games instead of being able to install from the DVD drive. The games they're delivering are custom modified/patched for the emulation method they have in place. If I recall correctly they don't even have the same size as the original DVD's, 7.5 GB becomes a 10 GB download or something.

You have no guarantee they'll still offer those for next gen after Xbox Series S/X, but you have the guarantee they'll keep the support this gen and probably a while afterwards even if they eventually drop it.
I have no problem with Microsoft's approach and am glad that they offer it at all. Only for me the feature becomes uninteresting in terms of preservation due to the online only limitation. So it makes more sense for me to keep the old consoles, which I do anyway, and plug them in when needed.

I have no problem with Microsoft's approach and am glad that they offer it at all. Only for me the feature becomes uninteresting in terms of preservation due to the online only limitation. So it makes more sense for me to keep the old consoles, which I do anyway, and plug them in when needed.
That's fair enough.

My only complaint with Xbox 360 in 2022 is that installing a SSD is impossible without RGH/JTAG. I don't like mechanical HDD's at this point, and if it breaks and I can't find a replacement the console is toast. It's probably the only console where SSD (or any off the shelf HDD) is impossible to install as I can easily put one on a PS2, PS3, OG Xbox... Drives me mad and I'm still waiting for a solution like using a raspberry pico as a controller to trick the system or something.

Last edited:

Kupfer

That's fair enough.

My only complaint with Xbox 360 in 2022 is that installing a SSD is impossible without RGH/JTAG. I don't like mechanical HDD's at this point, and if it breaks and I can't find a replacement the console is toast. It's probably the only console where SSD is impossible to install as I can easily put one on a PS2, PS3, OG Xbox... Drives me mad.
I remember replacing my 20gb HDD with a 120gb one back in the days. Basically making an Elite out of an Arcade for cheap.
So I really only changed the HDD, not the whole unit. I think I had to flash some bios on it, formatting in a special way or something like that. It's been a while, but you can teach yourself again. It was all possible with an ordinary windows machine. At that time there where no consumer 2,5'' SSDs yet, or at least not that I knew of, but I do not know why that should not work today. Even an OG xbox is expandable with an SSD. However, I'm not sure if the console benefits from the speed or if the connection is too slow.

Last edited:
I remember replacing my 20gb HDD with a 120gb one back in the days. Basically making an Elite out of an Arcade for cheap.
So I really only changed the HDD, not the whole unit. I think you had to flash some bios or something on it. It's been a while, but you can teach yourself again. At that time there where no consumer 2,5'' SSDs yet, or at least not that I knew of, but I do not know why that should not work today. Even an OG xbox is expandable with an SSD.
Only worked on certain HDD's. Microsoft was buying western digital (I think) and punching modified firmwares into them. The community caught wind of it, ripped those firmwares, reverse engineered the different "blocks" and made a list of compatible/patchable stuff.

EDIT: Here it is, and yes, they were Western Digital drives. It also explains that Microsoft was charging a 300% premium for drives with compatible firmware.

But they were never able to make HDD's from any manufacturer work on it, and by the time SSD's become popular there was never a hack to do the same thing. Probably because Microsoft themselves never made a X360 with a SSD. If you do that hack on a SSD and it goes through (dunno if possible) it would just install HDD firmware onto a SSD and brick it.

Like I said, I'm still waiting for a solution that tricks the system and allows me to install a regular SSD with DRAM before they turn off the online support altogether and I lose access to patches and DLC.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Only worked on certain HDD's. Microsoft was buying western digital (I think) and punching modified firmwares into them. The community caught wind of it, ripped those firmwares, reverse engineered the different "blocks" and made a list of compatible/patchable stuff. Here it is.

But they were never able to make HDD's from any manufacturer work on it, and by the time SSD's become popular there was never a hack to do the same thing. Probably because they never made a X360 with a SSD. If you do that hack on a SSD and it goes through (dunno if possible) it would just install HDD firmware onto a SSD and brick it.

Like I said, I'm still waiting for a solution that tricks the system and allows me to install a regular SSD with DRAM before they turn off the online support altogether and I lose access to patches and DLC.
Ah, you're right, now I remember. It had to be a certain one! Ah good times.
The future will certainly deliver something suitable. Once the 360 is "retro" and new or more lovers deal with it ... a few weeks ago I modded my old gamecube with a raspberrry pi pico to read data from micro sd card, maybe we can hope for a similar solution some day.

Last edited:
Ah, you're right, now I remember. It had to be a certain one! Ah good times.
The future will certainly deliver something suitable. Once the 360 is "retro" and new or more lovers deal with it ... a few weeks ago I modded my old gamecube with a raspberrry pi pico to read data from micro sd card, maybe we can hope for a similar solution.
Yes! I've been seeing those developments on other platforms and have my fingers crossed :)

RAIDEN1

Its crazy to think if you want to play the best tennis game released in the past 10 years, you still need to plug in the 360 or PS3

Reactions: Isa

Drew1440

Only worked on certain HDD's. Microsoft was buying western digital (I think) and punching modified firmwares into them. The community caught wind of it, ripped those firmwares, reverse engineered the different "blocks" and made a list of compatible/patchable stuff.

EDIT: Here it is, and yes, they were Western Digital drives. It also explains that Microsoft was charging a 300% premium for drives with compatible firmware.

But they were never able to make HDD's from any manufacturer work on it, and by the time SSD's become popular there was never a hack to do the same thing. Probably because Microsoft themselves never made a X360 with a SSD. If you do that hack on a SSD and it goes through (dunno if possible) it would just install HDD firmware onto a SSD and brick it.

They did allow upto 2TB of USB storage per drive, for upto 4TB storage in total. But even with an SSD you're stuck with USB 2.0 speeds, and on the S models the USB bus is quite congested since bandwidth is shared with the WiFi adaptor and the on board memory unit. The Kinect port supposedly uses its own bus and is USB based, so it might be possible to use that through cable modding.

An alternative is to use a modded dashboard/kernel which isn't easy to do on the 360, very few softmods exist that work on the later releases.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Like this. I'm on a DoD connection. I don't have access to internet for my personal devices at the moment and won't until sometime next year. There are some of us out there who literally can't download anything

RaZoR No1

They didn't want to, probably thought it was a waste of time if they made no money from it.

Forza 4 is/was a pity.
FM4 is a real pitty...
IMO still the most complete and best Forza Motorsport game.
I mean even modes like Car Soccer etc. were in the game and the awesome car list including normal everyday cars.. none of the newer titles ever came close..

SomeGit

FM4 is a real pitty...
IMO still the most complete and best Forza Motorsport game.
I mean even modes like Car Soccer etc. were in the game and the awesome car list including normal everyday cars.. none of the newer titles ever came close..
And they never even released a complete edition like they did with FM3. So now all DLC is gone for someone who didn’t buy it at the time.

All that content lost to time, unless you sail the seas…

And they never even released a complete edition like they did with FM3. So now all DLC is gone for someone who didn’t buy it at the time.

I still keep my 360 just for Forza Motorsport 4.

Xenia is improving but is still quite rough around the edges, and FM4 is not really playable. It runs, but you'll hit game-breaking graphical glitches and/or regular crashes.

Banned
I need to know :

Xbox and Xbox 360 games will download a modified version of these games from the Servers. the disk is only a physical activation key

that's the whole reason it isn't fully backwards compatible with every game.
the way they do backwards compatibility is they modify the games to almost play like a native app, and then emulate certain things from the original consoles to make them work correctly.
like if you play a 360 game the console will basically boot up a virtual 360 because the games need the 360 OS and its features to function.

this modifying of the games makes it so they need permission from publishers and the licenses need to be still active or renewed.

I really hope they are secretly working on a full 360 and og Xbox Emulator that can simply read discs, which would make the Series X possibly almost 100% compatible with those games.
this wasn't possible on Xbox One due to the dogshit CPU it used. but now it should absolutely be possible to fully emulate an Xbox 360 on Series X

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
A terrible shame "The Thing"(Based on the amazing John Carpenter movie) and "The Chronicles of Riddick: Attack on Butcher Bay"
OG Xbox discs won't play in my Xbox One X. My brother game me brand new ones sealed and I cracked them open, hoping I'd
be able to play them on my One X through backwards compatibility but yeah...not happening. Sucks man.

6429e7ec38ecaa1ab1a10cfc979b461b2624fcfc.gifv

RaZoR No1

Is there a way to check what DLC I miss etc. without hooking up the x360?

If not, then I need to check what DLCs I missed in the past..

"unless you sail the seas"
Probably only possible with a RGH/JTAG 360?

intbal

A terrible shame "The Thing"(Based on the amazing John Carpenter movie) and "The Chronicles of Riddick: Attack on Butcher Bay"
OG Xbox discs won't play in my Xbox One X. My brother game me brand new ones sealed and I cracked them open, hoping I'd
be able to play them on my One X through backwards compatibility but yeah...not happening. Sucks man.

The Thing works pretty well on the 360's BC system, if you happen to have a 360.
Not Riddick, although that one got its own remaster on 360.

DaGwaphics

IKR. The classic problem with this type of argument when it is presented ON THE INTERNET. :messenger_grinning:

On OG Xbox/360 titles I think you need to download the whole game (the disk is a license but the game doesn't run from there) and Xbox One games need the quick profile update.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean - you're obviously familiar with modding consoles, so at this point you're probably well aware that the best option for preservation would be to buy a Series X now and keep it in the box until a system kernel exploit is found. Sure, that might be years after Microsoft phases it out - but I guarantee you that you'll eventually be able to play these games 100% offline. The sooner you do it, the better odds you are of having a low enough firmware to make this possible the soonest.

Better yet - buy two consoles. Play one now, keep the other in the box. Buy and play the games your interested in. Worry about Microsoft shutting everything off later, when you don't really care if they do or don't.

SomeGit

Is there a way to check what DLC I miss etc. without hooking up the x360?

If not, then I need to check what DLCs I missed in the past..

"unless you sail the seas"
Probably only possible with a RGH/JTAG 360?
You need to double check with a list of release DLC, they’ve all been unlisted.

Kupfer

I mean - you're obviously familiar with modding consoles, so at this point you're probably well aware that the best option for preservation would be to buy a Series X now and keep it in the box until a system kernel exploit is found. Sure, that might be years after Microsoft phases it out - but I guarantee you that you'll eventually be able to play these games 100% offline. The sooner you do it, the better odds you are of having a low enough firmware to make this possible the soonest.

Better yet - buy two consoles. Play one now, keep the other in the box. Buy and play the games your interested in. Worry about Microsoft shutting everything off later, when you don't really care if they do or don't.
Call me crazy but I did that with the PS5 at release. Got one for playing and one with day 0 FW sitting around untouched even still in it's shipping package. I can imagine that something like this is already a rarity.

The Xbox wasn't and isn't worth it to me right now to spend that much money on contingencies. But you're right, it would be cool...

Top Bottom