• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

ParityBit

I noticed through the windows app, there are not many configurations I can download. Are there other ways to get some? I plan on picking up some games and I am wondering if I can use someone else's settings somehow rather than do my own every time.

I paid 150 for my elite over 6 months ago and it was the best purchase I've made this gen.

I make profiles for every game I play.
I use the paddles as extra buttons with no hesitation. Using the right paddle for jump is now universally in my muscle memory for every game.

I want to train my brain to use 4 paddles instead of two.

We should all start sharing our profiles for different games!

They REALLY should add profile uploads from the users. I'd love to try new configs.

I'm now using the 4 paddles permanently. I just left they on and forced myself to use it until it became more natural. Now I only use the face buttons for fighting games mostly. It does wonders in shooters, being able to do every action without ever letting go of both sticks is so awesome.

I just picked one up and have only used it in FH3. It feels so comfortable! I am hoping to try it within Gears (Finished just before I got it) and when I get TF2.

As i mentioned previously, go to the settings in gears and select single press for weapon change. Then select a paddle as either left or right on the d-pad and you can switch between lancer/gnasher or whatever you preference, on the fly without your left thumb leaving the stick.

Enjoy ;o)

Justinh

It does wonders in shooters, being able to do every action without ever letting go of both sticks is so awesome.

Yeah, I will sometimes play games with a regular controller (stuff like Lost Odyssey, the Forza games and the Dead Rising games), but I feel like I have to play shooters (and oddly enough, Dark Souls 2+3*) now with my elite when I play a shooter on console.

*It feels really good to be able to set up the option to use L3 for jump and map L3 to my "jump paddle," and of course running around larger bosses while still being able to look at them

Can anyone who's used one on PC explain if there's a method to map the paddles to a control otherwise not on the controller. Say in the Xbox menu, it allows me to map the paddles to a control like A or B. If all these buttons are in use is there some other third party software I can use to override this and map them as completely separate buttons? Seems like a bit of an oversight considering these also work on PC.

Can anyone who's used one on PC explain if there's a method to map the paddles to a control otherwise not on the controller. Say in the Xbox menu, it allows me to map the paddles to a control like A or B. If all these buttons are in use is there some other third party software I can use to override this and map them as completely separate buttons? Seems like a bit of an oversight considering these also work on PC.

There's a guy in here who has an app. Not sure if it does what you're looking for.

Head.spawn

I'm only just now seeing all of this Elite/Scuf upgrade/replacement stuff.

Very cool, I'd definitely like to try some of that stuff.

scuf_elite_paddlehatch.jpg

scuf_elite_dpad3.jpg

How the hell would you go about installing the "SCUF Infinity1 Precision Thumbsticks"? Would that involve taking the entire controller apart or is a hot swap/magnetic solution?

Justinh

How the hell would you go about installing the "SCUF Infinity1 Precision Thumbsticks"? Would that involve taking the entire controller apart or is a hot swap/magnetic solution?

I think they're just replaceable thumbsticks, like the ones that come with the controller but slightly different on top.

Magnetic technology for easy thumbstick change.

The patent covers a range of trigger accessories for the peripheral, which are held in place by a “magnetic attraction” – similar to accessories available for the d-pad and analogue stick on the current Elite design – and can be easily removed by the user without tools.

Strange, I personally couldn't imagine an application for this, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Did the monochromatic, original version of the Elite get the Bluetooth update yet? I thought the Gears of War 4 Elite Controller was going to do it, but all the blood+gore theming on Gears stuff looks awful and tacky, despite me being a fan of Gears.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Picked up that power A gears kit.

Kinda disappointing. The cross dpad straight up just doesn't fit correctly. You can see the green outline around the dpad. It's too small.

The 8 way/puck style is ever so slightly off. Just enough that there's a tiny wiggle with it.

The paddles are nice. But four shorty's isn't my style.

Sticks seems to be OK but I wish it came with two dome sticks.

Vuze

Did the monochromatic, original version of the Elite get the Bluetooth update yet? I thought the Gears of War 4 Elite Controller was going to do it, but all the blood+gore theming on Gears stuff looks awful and tacky, despite me being a fan of Gears.
I don't think any Elite model has Bluetooth yet.

ParityBit

This one maybe? I have not tried it yet.

https://github.com/mhvuze/Elite/blob/non-enhanced-with-config/README.md

ParityBit

Yeah that looks like it should do the job. The paddles will see most all of their use as air roll left/right on Rocket League, which I'd otherwise ran out of buttons for. Thanks a bunch! Gonna have to put some time into getting used to it now as the paddles feel a bit strange at first.

Let mus know it goes! I just got the controller myself but have only played Horizon 3 mainly.

Yaari

SCUF stuff looks interesting. DPAD especially, wonder if thats actually an improvement. I won't be the one to try it out though, a little too expensive of an experiment for me.

Let mus know it goes! I just got the controller myself but have only played Horizon 3 mainly.

Seems like it should be fine, have to unflag a few false positives in AV as you go and will need to figure out how to install a couple files via Powershell along the way. Unfortunately I won't be able to get my hands on the controller until tomorrow, but it looks fairly straight forward, especially so if you've ever used Powershell or DOS, which I've honestly got really rusty on so I'll have to sort that out a bit later.

Dolobill

I just got one of these controllers for Christmas and am loving it so far. However, it seems my controller has one minor flaw and I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the controller. When I remove the right thumbstick, the thumbstick base slides up from the internal mechanism. It doesn't feel loose normally and I don't notice anything during regular usage. My concern is that over time I might cause wear on the internal mechanism and end up with a wiggly thumbstick. Anyone have experience with this issue?

Podge293

My elite controller right stick has slight movement in titanfall 2 (moving constantly right). TF2 is the only game it impacts. Is this a TF2 thing or is it a potential controller fault?

If so is there anything I can do in the settings to fix it or just send it to Microsoft for repair (still under warranty)

TheShocker

I've had my elite controller for a year, but have only used it heavily in the past 4 months or so. I've notes the left thumb stick is getting loose. Any solution to fixing it? Just send it in?

Deepo

I have 2 elite controllers, and both have stick drift problems. Pretty sure it's been there all the time, it just doesn't manifest in all games.

_Clash_

My elite controller right stick has slight movement in titanfall 2 (moving constantly right). TF2 is the only game it impacts. Is this a TF2 thing or is it a potential controller fault?

If so is there anything I can do in the settings to fix it or just send it to Microsoft for repair (still under warranty)

Shake the controller if the thumbstick moves and you've got a bit of a maraca get on that return IMO

Has anybody had any experience getting their Elite controller repaired or replaced by Microsoft. Was it simple or was it a giant pain in the ass?

This evening the start and select buttons (or whatever the hell they're called) stopped working. Shortly there-after, the controller refused to turn on regardless of battery charge or whether it was connected to the console.

Vuze

Has there been any talk of a Bluetooth version of the Elite pad?
I'd be surprised if they wouldn't show a revised version of the pad this year going along with Scorpio reveal. There have been several hints at features for an upcoming version but nothing in particular in regards to BT support afaik.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Welp, after having the controller for a year my left stick has really bad stick drift... Was there a way to fix this? Because the MS rep gave me no options on sending it in for repair.

Welp, after having the controller for a year my left stick has really bad stick drift... Was there a way to fix this? Because the MS rep gave me no options on sending it in for repair.
If you're handy, you can disassemble the controller and replace the actual stick. Some electronics rework experience would be beneficial.

Otherwise, don't buy expensive hardware that the company doesn't feel is worth warrantying. I was lucky enough that the first two I tried were broken from the start. Those gave me a pretty good idea of what Microsoft really feels about the quality of their hardware.

Has anybody had any experience getting their Elite controller repaired or replaced by Microsoft. Was it simple or was it a giant pain in the ass?

This evening the start and select buttons (or whatever the hell they're called) stopped working. Shortly there-after, the controller refused to turn on regardless of battery charge or whether it was connected to the console.
My brother had the rubber wearing off. He contacted support, they ended up sending a brand new controller, without requiring him to send the defective one and gave him a small in store credit for the trouble. So the contrary of a pain in the ass lol.

gamz

I'm sure a refresh is coming. Wonder if they'll announce it at E3 or before?

I've love to know how many controllers they have sold this gen. Has to be a ton.

pitchfork

I've love to know how many controllers they have sold this gen. Has to be a ton.

Yeah, i'm certain they'll announce some new variants at E3. Some colour options similar to the recent 'Ocean Shadow' would be nice

My Gears Elite is still going strong though!

Lima

Even if they haven't sold a ton the margin on this thing is insane.

So I got an elite controller a couple days ago and I'm liking it okay, not really thrilled with the paddles not being unique inputs.

Anyway, I'm using the Xbox Accessories app to reconfigure it but I can only save two configurations and their names don't save. When I make a new config and go back to the main menu, it's not there. Names will save until I close the app and when I reopen it, they're back to Config 1 and Config 2. I'm on Windows 10 Pro version 1607 and the XA app is version 100.1611.3004.0.

Also, is there anyway to custom design the stick response? The presets are okay but I'd like a bit more control over deadzone size.

What do you mean by the paddles not being unique inputs? You can set them up to be any button I believe.

If a game allows you to change every single button on the controller, including the 4 d-pad directions, clicking the sticks, and menu and view, but not the guide button, that's 16 total buttons. You can only map the paddles to any of those 16 buttons. If the paddles were unique inputs, you could assign 20 different things to buttons on the controller.

This is mostly a complaint related to PC games, where you have the option of assigning more keys to things in the game. Like in Doom 2016 where you use a weapon wheel on console, but on PC you have the option of pressing 1-9 to instantly switch to any weapon. If the paddles were unique inputs, you could assign them to 1, 2, 3, and 4 to have instant access to those 4 weapons without using the weapon wheel. I say this is mostly a PC thing because doing this on console games would require the game to allow you to individually remap any button, and would also need to have those extra functions available to be assigned. Even with console games that do allow you to remap everything, there are only as many functions as there are buttons.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My elite sticks seem fine but now they are loose.

If I turn the controller upside down, you can hear them shaking around if that makes sense.

Again, no stick drift or anything, but I'm guessing that's not good lol.

_Clash_

If I turn the controller upside down, you can hear them shaking around if that makes sense.

Not good, joystick module issue and not a trivial fix.

Return

TheShocker

The "cap" that houses the joystick is cracked. Same thing happened to mine. If your controller is under warranty MS will replace the controller. If it's not, you can pay $20 for new parts or do a quick fix with a cotton ball. I already paid $150 for the controller, so they got nothing else from me.

I think because I mostly play FPS, and run is usually L3 and I always assign L3 to one of the paddles, that my thumb hardly ever applies any type of real pressure to the thumb sticks, so that's why I have avoided that problem.

As far as something I saw up above posted back in December in regards to the paddle placement

I easily prefer the The Xbox one paddle placement over the scuff, that just doesn't work for me. (Especially paying for ever single modification when you only pay one price for the Xbox 1). The paddles on the elite just become extensions of your fingers casually resting on the controller, you never have to move them, just flex it to hit the button (I have my fingers on all paddles at all times, just resting there with out pressing them in)

Edit: oh we talking the d pad? Yeah that shit don't stay in if you turn it upside and shake it a little, act least the circular one won't.

If a game allows you to change every single button on the controller, including the 4 d-pad directions, clicking the sticks, and menu and view, but not the guide button, that's 16 total buttons. You can only map the paddles to any of those 16 buttons. If the paddles were unique inputs, you could assign 20 different things to buttons on the controller.

This is mostly a complaint related to PC games, where you have the option of assigning more keys to things in the game. Like in Doom 2016 where you use a weapon wheel on console, but on PC you have the option of pressing 1-9 to instantly switch to any weapon. If the paddles were unique inputs, you could assign them to 1, 2, 3, and 4 to have instant access to those 4 weapons without using the weapon wheel. I say this is mostly a PC thing because doing this on console games would require the game to allow you to individually remap any button, and would also need to have those extra functions available to be assigned. Even with console games that do allow you to remap everything, there are only as many functions as there are buttons.
I see. For some reason I thought the accessories app on pc would let you map them for more than the regular keys.

Guess that's not the case.

Top Bottom