• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox exploring alternatives to 1 vs 100, says Phil Spencer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sitting down with Phil Spencer in London at X019, I hadn’t even gotten my question about the return of 1 vs 100 out before he interrupted me.

“We should do it again,” he said with a smile.

“The problem with 1 vs 100 specifically is it’s an IP that’s owned by a a game show company. But I’ll say Matt [Booty, head of Xbox Game Studios] and I have had a lot of discussions about the idea, whether it’s that IP specifically or just the idea of what it was, is something that we’d love to go do,” Spencer continued. “So we’re out there kind of looking at ideas and talking to teams. Because I think that was one of those ideas — and it’s a cliche, almost — that might’ve been a little ahead of its time.”

With Microsoft technologies like Project xCloud and Mixer now on the table, a stark contrast to what was available in 2010, Spencer said that it’s the perfect time to bring a live event inspired by 1 vs 100 back to the Xbox service.

“The idea that you’re going to have live events where you know, 100 plus one people, come together and there’s prizes and it’s community driven and stuff,” Spencer said. “With Mixer? You could even do it where it doesn’t even need a local version of the game to go play. So Matt and I have been riffing on these ideas for quite a while. I suspect you’ll see something from us in that space because I think it just should happen.”

Kagey K

Banned
Nice to see them exploring the idea again. 1 vs 100 was super fun for the short time it existed. The live Gameshow concept is a great idea and deserves further exploration. Especially now with “sponsored content” and “influencers.” It seems like it could be more valid then ever.

They need to find a way to do it without infringing on 1 vs 100 rights and being able to sidestep googling somehow.

Psykodad

Banned
Goes with the Netflix of gaming narrative.

Wouldn't be surprised if MS completely changes it's focus to the "Wii-crowd" and compete with Nintendo and Stadia.
Would also give more reason to Lockhart, if that's really coming. Use next-gen to test the waters in a new market.

Pull their own Wii.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Goes with the Netflix of gaming narrative.

Wouldn't be surprised if MS completely changes it's focus to the "Wii-crowd" and compete with Nintendo and Stadia.
Would also give more reason to Lockhart, if that's really coming. Use next-gen to test the waters in a new market.

Pull their own Wii.
??????

Do you even know what you are talking about here? None of this makes sense if you ever played 1 vs 100 on Xbox, or have a basic understanding of what it was.

Seems like now you are just trying to shit on something because it says Xbox in the title, without having the faintest idea of what you are trying to shit on.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
??????

Do you even know what you are talking about here? None of this makes sense if you ever played 1 vs 100 on Xbox, or have a basic understanding of what it was.

Seems like now you are just trying to shit on something because it says Xbox in the title, without having the faintest idea of what you are trying to shit on.
Wtf you on about?

It's like that tv show 1v100.
Makes perfect sense to go for the casual crowd, like Nintendo did with Wii.

How about not being a defensive fanboy for once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom