• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Game Pass has 25 millions subscribers August 2023

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Xbox senior marketing director just changed his linkedin

He removed the over 30 millions part and changed it to 25 millions, could be that Xbox want to announce first that they jumped to 30 millions thanks to starfield
Before
wVqlOW6.jpg

After

0LFFscN.jpg

previous news and thread

Godot25

Banned
probably removed the GOLD conversion numbers?
How he could have removed conversion numbers when that conversion happened few days ago and not in august?

It's more like "I said something I shouldn't" because Microsoft is waiting for whole ABK stuff to be done when they will provide new numbers.

Even Nadella said that Game Pass grew every quarter after January 2022, so it's pretty foolish to think that Game Pass is still at 25 million.
Even Sony said at the end of last year that Game Pass has 29 million subs.

GHG

It seems that Microsoft want 25m to remain the latest "official" number, for now at least:

Update: Since publishing, the LinkedIn account in question removed references to Xbox Game Pass hitting 30 million. Microsoft also sent us a statement to reiterate the previous 25 million milestone as being the official tally.

Monitoring the LinkedIn of Microsoft employees, for the purpose of warring.

That’s some next level dedication.

Hey now, don't accuse Jez Corden of warring, he's very much above all that.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
How he could have removed conversion numbers when that conversion happened few days ago and not in august?

It's more like "I said something I shouldn't" because Microsoft is waiting for whole ABK stuff to be done when they will provide new numbers.

Even Nadella said that Game Pass grew every quarter after January 2022, so it's pretty foolish to think that Game Pass is still at 25 million.
Even Sony said at the end of last year that Game Pass has 29 million subs.

Exactly, they are waiting to announce a big jump

if it was at 30 millions in august i expect we'll get 35M thanks to starfield/Forza, 6 millions at launch was huge

and even more with ABK and free COD in gamepass

NickFire

if Game Pass had reached 30 million I find it hard to believe that Xbox folk wouldn’t be all over social media crowing about it
Better to announce that after a new game comes out. Announce it before and how will people attribute the increase to a new game?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's not that complicated, it just hadn't been officially announced so he had to match the latest company line.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Read the OP.
The OP is misrepresenting what the screenshot actually says. It doesn't say gamepass was only at 25M subscribers. It says this person was responsible for growing it until it reached 25M subscribers. It's an assumption based on the title change date that this was the subscriber count at the end of August.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Good to see not everybody is on copium in this thread.

I agree with the notion that this guy spoke out of turn. GP as over 30 million and an announcement is forthcoming. Just makes the most sense given recent success.

MacReady13

Here we go the "Gamepass is a flop" crowd, your OT.
Well if it's as good as everyone goes on about, and there are so many millions of gamers, why aren't more people buying Xbox consoles and just renting their games through this sub service???
So yes, it's a flop considering it's the "best deal in gaming"!!!

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well if it's as good as everyone goes on about, and there are so many millions of gamers, why aren't more people buying Xbox consoles and just renting their games through this sub service???
If someone already has a capable PC they don't need to buy an Xbox console to take advantage of game pass. That's why they aren't selling more consoles. Lots of people are using game pass on PC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If someone already has a capable PC they don't need to buy an Xbox console to take advantage of game pass. That's why they aren't selling more consoles. Lots of people are using game pass on PC.
But the subscriber count isn't rapidly growing. That number includes both console and PC. Most on the PC don't mess with the Windows Store either. Most are on Steam.

JackMcGunns

Insert conspiracy theory here: _______

Or:

A) Maybe the figure was an estimate at the time of posting and he received more accurate numbers later and therefore updated accordingly.
B) He was expecting the number to grow to that amount by the time a public announcement was made, maybe to coincide with Starfield's release.
C) Chicken & beer is the best combination.

MacReady13

You mean the hundreds of millions of PC owners, and all they have to show for it are 25 million subscribers?

graywolf323

Good to see not everybody is on copium in this thread.

I agree with the notion that this guy spoke out of turn. GP as over 30 million and an announcement is forthcoming. Just makes the most sense given recent success.
it’s been nearly 2 weeks since Game Pass subs could play Starfield (without paying to upgrade), so what are they waiting for exactly if that’s the case? 🤔

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
But the subscriber count isn't rapidly growing. That number includes both console and PC. Most on the PC don't mess with the Windows Store either. Most are on Steam.

Believe they reported significant GP growth last year due to PC. Outside of that, however, I would not be surprised if some gamer are selling their Xbox to game fully on PC like I did. That a zero sum game as far as subs are concerned.

L*][*N*K

Banned
strength 💪🏻

ergem

No games will save gamepass at this point. It’s not the quality of games offered, it’s the business model.

Most gamers don’t have the time, energy, or interest in playing so many games to make the sub worthwhile. Most gamers will just buy their favorite games day 1, on sale, or 2nd hand.

It’s a good thing. It means sub services will be a side hustle going forward and not the main business model for these companies.

Gamespass is a failure if we measure it using its original goal of forcing the games industry into subscription service future. But as a little service offering on the side, I suppose gamepass will thrive and it will be profitable considering games will still sell outside the service.

Top Bottom