• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The April 2011 Thread

Gaspode_T

toythatkills: As a suggestion, for your next thread it would be cool to see a summary of all the games that were featured in "Kotaku's Favorites" since it seems to have changed 2 or 3 times. I think those are a pretty solid list of games, both new stuff and older overlooked games.

I tried Little Kingdom but even though it features my favorite gaming shape (the hexagon...) I couldn't figure out what is going on and I am not patient enough to sit through a tutorial.

Similarly the Neon Prime game hooked me with a NES style cover but I got to the menu and the up/down on menu options was so sloppy that I accidentally hit "Exit Game" instead of start...

So many games lack polish on the "non fun bits" (menu system, tutorial, score display/HUDs), I think that makes a huge difference. At the end of the day, we are at the end of a console generation and gaming in general is in a super saturated state...there are way too many gaming options so the game really does need to kind of make it clear why you should play it instead of some other game within like 5 seconds of seeing the cover and within 30 seconds of starting a trial of it.

That said: Lasercat, bought! Another good example of why I love XBLIG.

Gaspode_T

I really don't think the situation is as bad as most people say, I am looking at a game on iOS right now called "Rats Fart" - a game about rats...farting...seriously! There is another one with some guy dressed up in a rat suit, with just some buttons to press. Most of the games on mobile have the polish I am talking about but less gameplay and often lack creativity under the cloud of "oh you touch to move around".

One thing that would help both XBLIG, mobile indie games, and Steam indie games would be to have a single indie game website that just totally dominates other websites as an authority about indie games. I wouldn't have known about the Steam game Capsized if I didn't randomly see someone tweet about it. It's bad to rely 100% on word of mouth for games like these, when the creators obviously can't pay for marketing either.

There are many feed sites even for XBLIG but none of them seem to be "The place to go to". I still go to YouTube and just punch in the name, here is a video for Lasercat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtR9yBYiFLM

What's hard is to be fair...there are way more games than can be covered in a blog fashion like indiegames.com is doing. Doing a rating site is not going to be easy to get people to do ratings and people might as well just look at ratings in Steam/Mobile/XBLIG instead.

TouchArcade is pretty close to what I'm imagining but it doesn't have Steam or XBLIG...maybe some website editors are reading this, it's a whole genre of website that doesn't have a de facto winner...(talk about an opportunity)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I sort of use TouchArcade for iOS, GAF for Steam, and these threads for XBLIG and I don't feel like I miss anything. Sometimes I'll do a brief pass through Steam by saying "Show me everything under $10, alphabetized" and if something catches my eye that wasn't there before I add it to my wishlist or Google further.

Gaspode_T said:
One thing that would help both XBLIG, mobile indie games, and Steam indie games would be to have a single indie game website that just totally dominates other websites as an authority about indie games. I wouldn't have known about the Steam game Capsized if I didn't randomly see someone tweet about it. It's bad to rely 100% on word of mouth for games like these, when the creators obviously can't pay for marketing either.
Try http://xboxindies.com

They aggregate news from a bunch of XBLIG sites, and their pivot database is amazing.

Gaspode_T said:
Similarly the Neon Prime game hooked me with a NES style cover but I got to the menu and the up/down on menu options was so sloppy that I accidentally hit "Exit Game" instead of start...

And I thought I was the only one. Holy crap how in the world did that pass certification?

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Futureman said:
Anyone in here develope for XBOX Indie? I have a game idea, not sure if it is viable for this service though.

Yep there's a bunch of us in here.

It would be cool if there was a youtube channel dedicated to XBLIG trailers and previews.

Anyone use IndieDB at all?

Feep

Banned
Silver Dollar Games literally has a game entitled "Why Did I Buy This?" in Peer Review. Apparently you have to listen to a telemarketer. (It failed its first shot)

I wonder if the community can just, like...decide to never review something. = D

Nelo Ice said:
there has to be a way to stop this "game" from ever releasing right?!

Eh, it's less offensive than about 1/3 of their catalog. And probably won't do that well anyway because it doesn't have farts or breasts.

Duck Hunt:

iphone-duck-hunt.jpg

Modern Hunt:

screen3.jpg

Ventron said:
I just noticed Duck Hunt's clouds are the same graphics as SMB's cloudbushes.
Does the videogame facts thread know?! It's another megaton.

I've made the thread ready for next month. Between gold and silver there are three games. I'd say "who wants to guess" but since there was only three good games that came out this month I can't imagine anyone would get it wrong.

And Kafel won't be happy

Kafel

Banned
I got a code for Modern Hunt. Could be fun during 2 minutes in the multiplayer mode (split-screen).

It's modern because you have to aim with the left trigger, move the cursor with the right stick and shoot with the right trigger.

But not modern enough to include the possibility to leave the game after 1 minute of boredom : the start button only activates the pause.

Kafel said:
I got a code for Modern Hunt. Could be fun during 2 minutes in the multiplayer mode (split-screen).

It's modern because you have to aim with the left trigger, move the cursor with the right stick and shoot with the right trigger.

But not modern enough to include the possibility to leave the game after 1 minute of boredom : the start button only activates the pause.
Did you like how when you aim, the gun covers literally half of the screen? Bizarre.

The trees in Duck Hunt are still the same though, aren't they? Every screenshot on a Google Image search has those same trees and bushes and long grass.

Kafel

Banned
toythatkills said:
Did you like how when you aim, the gun covers literally half of the screen? Bizarre.

Not really.

I didn't like either how I had to press the left trigger before being able to do anything, I was kind of lost at first. Oh and the menus are awful but that's quite unoriginal among Indie Games.

Top Bottom