• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The June 2011 Thread

bathala

Banned
thanks for the impressions

the graphics look really like minecraft at least fortress craft looks different

oh well the OG is coming soon

I appreciate the impressions as well! I love Minecraft so much that I welcome these so-called "knockoffs"; with the real deal being released on the same system, a lot of them are going to have to incorporate unique elements that will hopefully differentiate them. I'm debating whether either of the two crafting games on the Indie service are worth my $3 dollars right now, but I guess we'll have to see which one gets more features.

Does anyone have a real preference between FortressCraft and Total Miner?

Also:

Holy hell is Kung Fu FIGHT awesome! I realize it's essentially a Bit.Trip Runner clone, but it's clever and the fact that it looks a lot like "Bruce Lee Lives" definitely doesn't hurt it. I played the credits screen alone for about twenty minutes! Am I just really easily amused?

IndieJones said:
I appreciate the impressions as well! I love Minecraft so much that I welcome these so-called "knockoffs"; with the real deal being released on the same system, a lot of them are going to have to incorporate unique elements that will hopefully differentiate them. I'm debating whether either of the two crafting games on the Indie service are worth my $3 dollars right now, but I guess we'll have to see which one gets more features.

Does anyone have a real preference between FortressCraft and Total Miner?

Well right now, if you want something more structured with having to mine and collect blocks and worrying about surviving, Total Miner is the only way to go. I haven't tried it's creative mode to see how it stacks up against FortressCraft.

FortrssCraft's focus, at least thus far, is on the creative free building with infinite of every block. Though it does have more unique blocks, tools, and options that probably make it the better option if you prefer free building.

fernoca

By coincidence, I also (just) got Kung Fu Fight..and yep that was my impression too. XD

And I was also debating between which of the "Minecraft clones" to get, while waiting for "the real thing". I went with Total Miner; just because it reminds me of Minecraft more. :p I admit that my experience with the "real one" is quite limited, but I liked the visual similarities in Total Miner more. Probably won't get as much support as FortressCraft; though for some reason the "FortressCraft demo never clicked with me, but Total Miner did...don't know if I was already biased because of the visuals. XD

But someone might be able to post more detailed impressions and comparisons between them; in my case I'm just happy with the purchase(s). :p

wwm0nkey said:
How about we just wait for Minecraft on the 360? lol

That's the option I'm going with.

And maybe by then one or more of these Indie Games clones will have established their own identity further removed from Minecraft than they are now. Since that's always the "plan" for these games, "Yeah right now it's a lot like Minecraft, but just you wait!".

Though if someone desperately wants a Minecraft-like experience on their Xbox RIGHT NOW, $3 is pretty reasonable for either game.

wwm0nkey said:
How about we just wait for Minecraft on the 360? lol

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy that as well. I have it for PC already and plan to own it on 360.

The reason I'm interested in these "clones" is that this whole block/crafting thing is becoming its own little genre; I see enormous potential here. Every design decision these guys make and new feature they add can totally change the way the game is approached. So, like FPSes that mostly have the same basic mechanics, I see the actual flavour of the games being wildly different.

Just look at roguelikes. Superficially, games like Nethack and Angband look nearly identical, yet in actual features and gameplay, they're worlds apart. It would be easy to say, "Oh, Angband looks so much like Nethack, it must be a clone," but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

They haven't necessarily proven themselves yet, but I'm actually looking forward to a flood of these "Minecraft clones" so that they have to adapt or die. I think we're going to see some innovation.

There's not been a Minecraft clone yet that's shown any ambition at all to do something different to Minecraft. The developers seem to spend so much time insisting that their game isn't Minecraft that they've got no time left to actually prove it, so we end up with game after game that does nothing new at all, and that isn't even 10% as good as Minecraft is.

Today I've been playing Esoterica America, which is completely batshit mental. Someone mentioned the voice acting before, how it sounds like one guy doing all the voices, but nothing can prepare you for how terrible this voice acting is. You can even hear him swaying to and fro going quiet loud quiet as he keeps moving in relation to the mic. I've just encountered a guy whose accent kept veering from comedy Scandinavian to comedy Scottish to some other accent that I can't even identify. I couldn't follow a word he was saying because I was so concerned with trying to work out what it was he was even trying to attempt.

IndieJones said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm going to buy that as well. I have it for PC already and plan to own it on 360.

The reason I'm interested in these "clones" is that this whole block/crafting thing is becoming its own little genre; I see enormous potential here. Every design decision these guys make and new feature they add can totally change the way the game is approached. So, like FPSes that mostly have the same basic mechanics, I see the actual flavour of the games being wildly different.

Just look at roguelikes. Superficially, games like Nethack and Angband look nearly identical, yet in actual features and gameplay, they're worlds apart. It would be easy to say, "Oh, Angband looks so much like Nethack, it must be a clone," but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

They haven't necessarily proven themselves yet, but I'm actually looking forward to a flood of these "Minecraft clones" so that they have to adapt or die. I think we're going to see some innovation.

Plus anything to light a fire under Mojang's corpulent, lazy bottom and get them to add more content I actually give a shit about.

I don't get the appeal of the whole genre but seeing how well they sell, it sure is tempting to join in. I think I get more into games that have clearly defined goals (like defeat M. Bison, save the Princess, pass go and collect $200).

GcRayden

I just wanted everyone to know I released an Xbox Live Indie Game today called "House of 1000 Demons". It's a old school text adventure filled with pop-culture references and takes some twists on creating a different game style than most text adventures.

I would really like you guys to try it out and give me your opinions on what you think of the game! I'll even link you to the marketplace!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/House-of-1000-Demons/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585508c5

This is my first XBLIG, so let me know how you like it!

FunInfusedGames said:
I don't get the appeal of the whole genre but seeing how well they sell, it sure is tempting to join in. I think I get more into games that have clearly defined goals (like defeat M. Bison, save the Princess, pass go and collect $200).
We'll all decide in this thread what we'd want to see in a Minecraft game that will make it a bit less shameless and bit more goal-oriented, and then force you to make it for us =P

toythatkills said:
We'll all decide in this thread what we'd want to see in a Minecraft game that will make it a bit less shameless and bit more goal-oriented, and then force you to make it for us =P
the fortress craft dude mentioned on the app hub that he's about to break $750k in sales, with little signs of slowing down. so those are like million dollar ideas you are talking about.

i'm just sayin...

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Ventron said:
Now over 60 games want to be in the summer uprising:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...ViMlNsMlBxRkE&hl=en_US&authkey=CPvv0eUM#gid=0

Which ones do you think look good enough to make it?
From what I've heard, there are 10 spaces to be voted by XNA premium members, and 2 that will go on a Facebook poll afterwards.

Yes, I am working on one of the games in that list, and I hope XNA-GAF will vote for Andromium :p

How do I get off that list? I withdrew and I think a couple others did too.

The latest Kotaku list is pretty solid - just noticed it. Also, did anyone play through TIC?

I played through TIC. It's awesome, the challenges are awesome, but you'll complete the story mode in half an hour and see everything the story mode has to offer in about five minutes. There are three levels, but the objectives and environments are the same throughout all three so you're really just playing the same one three times with new enemy patterns. The challenges offer better value for money, but I think most people will buy it for the story and that's over far too quickly.

I tried Total Miner and cringed with embarrassment at the title screen.

GcRayden said:
I just wanted everyone to know I released an Xbox Live Indie Game today called "House of 1000 Demons". It's a old school text adventure filled with pop-culture references and takes some twists on creating a different game style than most text adventures.

I would really like you guys to try it out and give me your opinions on what you think of the game! I'll even link you to the marketplace!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/House-of-1000-Demons/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802585508c5

This is my first XBLIG, so let me know how you like it!
This seems like it's alright, but it's not for me. I like a text adventure with more in the way of puzzles, whereas here I just have to choose random sentences and am killed through no real fault of my own, because there's no way to know that I'm making a mistake. I'm being punished for nothing, basically.

Then I'm forced to start again, where sending me back to that choice would have been a much more user-friendly approach and the random deaths would have been a lot less frustrating.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
When Maidens Attack reviewed by your buddy, your pal, your chum....
Hah, ace. Definitely covers all the bases. The story is amazing in a "what the hell did I just see" kind of way, and the collection of the enemys' still beating hearts is somewhat at odds with the unicorn/fairy theme.

But I have to question this:

The enemies don’t make any sense at all. Why is the maiden wiping out the universes’ unicorn and fairy population? Maybe while growing up her parents forced that nonsense onto her because “That’s what girls like”.
And what it comes down to, the meaning of the shoes. I feel that you've overlooked a fundamental point regarding the shoes, and that's the girls, traditionally, like shoes. Assuming her parents had guided her development away from such trivialities, one can only assume that she would have no interest in shoes.

Which makes the question of the meaning of the shoes even more essential.

Could it be that she has no interest in the retrieval of the shoes at all? That, in fact, the man-clone that she's chasing through portal after portal is actually a sexual predator, who steals women's shoes for his own gratification? Her quest is simply to stop another man who sees women as nothing more than objects.

It's a simple theory, but one that's doomed to failure are we to examine it more closely, and realise that even if that were the case, why does she own so many shoes in the first place if she has no interest in them?

The shoes are surely symbolic of something, as are the unicorns. Unicorns, of course, have horns, and shoes do not. Is this relevant? I would say no. But what can it all mean? Why am I even writing all this? Could the meaning of life, even, be contained within this game?

In trying to get to grips with When Maidens Attack one can, as in science, only come up with a theory before debunking it. There's no way to translate the game in the traditional way because its message is hidden so deep, the shoes even being a symbol of this. The shoe goes on the foot which, when you look at a person, is the "deepest" part. The game is mocking us, telling us that its message is so deeply hidden that we can't find it.

I believe in us, PepsimanVsJoe. I believe in us, NeoGAF. We can't let the game win.

Would love to hear any other theories people have on the meaning of this game. I'd like to get it deciphered as soon as possible so we can start working on what Pong's all about. Schizophrenia? One man's struggle with his alter ego?

SmallCaveGames said:
How do I get off that list? I withdrew and I think a couple others did too.

The latest Kotaku list is pretty solid - just noticed it. Also, did anyone play through TIC?

I understand the confusion - you are looking at the older list. That list contains all of the original information for everyone who submitted games. Kris has an updated list, which has removed those who have withdrawn, aren't eligible, etc. as well as new trailers, media, etc.

It will launch with the finished website, most likely at some point next week.

I've played through TIC. Beautiful game. If you enjoy platformers then you'll definitely like it. Tough on some parts, the area where the columns are rising and lowering constantly in particular. Overall, I'd definitely recommend the game, as the art style is top notch. Whoever is responsible for the art on that project needs to start making games full time.

For a more browse-able list of Summer Uprising games, check this out: http://www.liveindiegaming.com/UprisingGame.aspx?gameID=1

I can't remove you from the Google spreadsheet since it wasn't mine to setup, but I can remove you from this list I just posted (which is the official one). Email kris@funinfused.com if you're still there.

I'll be waiting... wouldn't mind making a million dollars at all :)

Gaspode_T

The most obvious 'twists' on Minecraft are so obvious I'm not going to keep them to myself:

Tower Defense -> Take 60 seconds to build, shelter down, then fend off zombies, repeat wave

Minecraft Worms in 3D -> The worms in 3D games were never as fun as the 2D counterparts, but if you throw in being able to build up towers and hurl stuff at each other from nearly random locations (let's say you give the player 30 seconds to build before each round, each building a nice vantage point to shoot or building defenses)

There you go, 1 million dollars. Please remember me in your last will and testament.

It'd be cool if there was a kind of reverse Minecraft, where the world is already made but you can make your own character/enemies out of blocks and give them a few frames of animation. Within certain boundaries, like 8x8x4 blocks or something. So the game would say "build a dragon!" to put at the point where the dragon boss is, and you'd build it and then KILL IT. Outside that, it'd be a turn-based RPG.

Even better would be if somehow the way you build your characters affect their stats/behaviour. If you use loads of red for your dragon it'll have REALLY STRONG FIRE but if you use green it'll just be more normal. If you make a giant penis I don't know what would happen.

There have been a few attempts at allowing the user to design a character in the past, but not in 3D, could be awesome.

This idea is yours for 10% of any sales =P

wwm0nkey

3D version of Terraria please!

A more action packed version of Minecraft would be awesome...also needs lots and lots of loot and 2-8 player Online. Also bosses, giant awesome boss fights.

toythatkills said:
It'd be cool if there was a kind of reverse Minecraft, where the world is already made but you can make your own character/enemies out of blocks and give them a few frames of animation. Within certain boundaries, like 8x8x4 blocks or something. So the game would say "build a dragon!" to put at the point where the dragon boss is, and you'd build it and then KILL IT. Outside that, it'd be a turn-based RPG.

Even better would be if somehow the way you build your characters affect their stats/behaviour. If you use loads of red for your dragon it'll have REALLY STRONG FIRE but if you use green it'll just be more normal. If you make a giant penis I don't know what would happen.

There have been a few attempts at allowing the user to design a character in the past, but not in 3D, could be awesome.

3D Dot Heroes has a character designer that is exactly like that. Though you can only design your player character in such a way, I think. (Never played it)

HadesGigas said:
3D Dot Heroes has a character designer that is exactly like that. Though you can only design your player character in such a way, I think. (Never played it)
Interesting. I should get that game

Gaspode_T

toythatkills said:

Yeah 3D Dot Heroes is kind of like that but with more Zelda ripping off thrown in

Kodu Game Lab thing on XBLIG is actually able to do a game that looks surprisingly like Minecraft:

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/Features/2011/jun11/06-13KoduCup.mspx

Graphics aren't running very well in the YouTube video linked, but kind of neat anyway

wwm0nkey

Really think it would be amazing if there was something like Minecraft but

-Loot
-Tower Defense
-NPC's
-Bosses
-High focus on action and combat.

Again pretty much a 3D version of Terraria

j00ce

Neo Member
<delurk>

Finally got my NG account approved, so figured it was time to introduce myself, after toythatkills kindly mentioned my website back in February ;)

Essentially, when Community Games launched, I decided to try and download/play every single title on the platform. And while I've fallen a bit behind of late (partly due to a holiday in China!), I've still managed to check out - and write up - around 1800 games. As well as a few tools to make life a bit easier - a reasonably flexible search engine and a set of graphing tools which provide an overview on the service as a whole.

All of which is available here:
http://www.xboxindiegames.co.uk/index.html

Anyhow: hopefully the stuff I've produced will be of use and/or interest - and I'm more than happy to take feedback and/or critiques for both the website and the reviews...

Gaspode_T

Wow, that's an amazing effort and your site is very well made...there are probably no more than a little over 2000 XBLIG games right??

My only advice is to write more about the games in a way that people can relate to, like "Top 20 games for zombie fans" or "Top 20 RPGs", not sure if there's a nice way to fit it into your site, maybe you can be a guest of honor on some of these other sites that feature reviews?

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I can't play these Craft games for anything.

Digging holes...building stuff...being bored to tears.

Yep.

The strange part is, I've always loved world editors. Droppped tons of hours into various level editors for Warcrafts and so forth. I just can't grasp these Craft games for some reason.

What I might enjoy is a sort of dungeon-creator approach, where you build the dungeon, set traps, create the enemies, make a maze - and then torment the heroes. Keep them from the treasure = win condition.

SmallCaveGames said:
Yep.

The strange part is, I've always loved world editors. Droppped tons of hours into various level editors for Warcrafts and so forth. I just can't grasp these Craft games for some reason.
It's because there's just nothing to do in any of these clones. What's the point of making a world when there's nothing to do in it?

SmallCaveGames said:
What I might enjoy is a sort of dungeon-creator approach, where you build the dungeon, set traps, create the enemies, make a maze - and then torment the heroes. Keep them from the treasure = win condition.
Have you played Badman What Did I Do To Deserve This? or whatever it's called?

OnPoint

robotnjik said:
There is one game from friends of mine - T.E.C. 3001, it's like Mirrors Edge meets Wipeout. It's still under development, but it should be ready in next few weeks.

Early gameplay video>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_P97BJXSJQ

Latest video>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JF4z0U1_Y

So it's like a 3D auto-scrolling platformer? That's pretty cool, actually

FunInfusedGames said:
Even though this video isn't brand new, I've just been activated so I'll share now. This is from my game Volchaos (http://www.funinfused.com/volchaos.aspx) coming in August for XBLIG

http://youtu.be/SMxATNA_Wjw

Looks so good, but your character looks like Walker Texas Ranger

Looks so good, but your character looks like Walker Texas Ranger

Thanks. Yeah, he was supposed to look like Indiana Jones but ended up looking more cowboy. The game is pretty tongue in cheek though so it actually kinda fits. We've got funny intro stills that tell more of the story before each level (40 total).

j00ce

Neo Member
Gaspode_T said:
Wow, that's an amazing effort and your site is very well made...there are probably no more than a little over 2000 XBLIG games right??

My only advice is to write more about the games in a way that people can relate to, like "Top 20 games for zombie fans" or "Top 20 RPGs", not sure if there's a nice way to fit it into your site, maybe you can be a guest of honor on some of these other sites that feature reviews?

Cheers :)

Adding "top twenty" lists isn't a big issue - all games can be given special tags, which can then be picked up by the search engine - s'how I added the Winter Uprising details.

Admittedly, the site is currently lacking an "editorial/blog" system to tie such lists together - s'on the to-do list. Got a few game reviews to catch up on first ;)

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
robotnjik said:
There is one game from friends of mine - T.E.C. 3001, it's like Mirrors Edge meets Wipeout. It's still under development, but it should be ready in next few weeks.

Early gameplay video>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_P97BJXSJQ

Latest video>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JF4z0U1_Y

I often have a game idea/dream where I can run 60-70 mph passing cars on the highway. As I pass people I give them a thumbs up and throw pickles in the windows.

Always thought that would be fun.

This game is probably the closest I can get to that. Looks cool.

toythatkills said:
Have you played Badman What Did I Do To Deserve This? or whatever it's called?

Cool, thanks.

emz

Neo Member
hey guys, my account just got approved, but I registered back Feb (just like j00ce!) when our game (Train Frontier Express) was posted to Feb's XBLIGs thread. Had just wanted to say thanks for, well, posting about it then--small as it was, it was a cool motivator on a we-thought-it-would-take-one-month-now-going-on-ten kind of project. I won't spam our first video we just put up in my first post, but it's easy to find searching for TFE.

Anyway, thanks again and glad to be in the thread!

emz said:
hey guys, my account just got approved, but I registered back Feb (just like j00ce!) when our game (Train Frontier Express) was posted to Feb's XBLIGs thread. Had just wanted to say thanks for, well, posting about it then--small as it was, it was a cool motivator on a we-thought-it-would-take-one-month-now-going-on-ten kind of project. I won't spam our first video we just put up in my first post, but it's easy to find searching for TFE.

Anyway, thanks again and glad to be in the thread!
This is how ours is turning out as well. Very simple game but "hey what if we add this" feature creep and other problems has really added up the months.

Design document. Make one and stick to it. Good luck with your games.

Top Bottom