• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The June 2011 Thread

1XG27.gif

Be careful what you wish for. After moaning about how rubbish last month was, this month has been one of the very best for Xbox LIVE Indie Games with a number of games that could easily have been the game of the month. Of course, it was ol’ muggins here that had to choose between them. They said it couldn’t be done. “It can’t be done,” they said. But no! I simply asked Sepp Blatter to choose for me, and he told me he’d choose whoever gave him the fattest envelope, then refused to answer any questions about it and said he’d sort it out within his family. Okay, in all seriousness, I’m a decisive motherfucker, and I’ve chosen the hell out of it. So, enjoy a round-up about the games from May 2011, or as I’m (not really) calling it, aMAYzing 2011.

You can buy any of these games via xbox.com by clicking the link associated with each game, or on the Games Marketplace on your Xbox 360. Simply enter the marketplace and scroll up to Indie Games, where you can check the top rated titles, the games that have just come out, or “browse” to find the games mentioned in this thread. Indie Game trials last eight minutes, which is often enough to establish what you think about it. Even if you don’t buy any of these games, at least trial them, tell people what you think, get more people trying them.

Go. Play. Enjoy. Tell us what you think! Tell all your friends! Get them to tell all their friends…

(Xbox LIVE Indie Games are available in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom and the United States. If you’re outside those countries you can still play these games by setting up a Gamertag for free for one of those countries. It’s worth doing.)

eknpv.jpg

The Gold award, for the absolute best game that came out last month.

Sequence gets it, ‘cause even though if I was giving them early 90s magazine style review scores they’d both get 97% or something, Sequence feels a bit fresher, a bit newer than Blocks that Matter. And so it edges it. Sorry Kafel.

jwZwk.jpg

Sequence, if you don’t know by now, is a hybrid of RPG mechanics like hit points, crafting, and levelling up with, well, DDR. Outside of battle you must climb a tower by crafting items using items that you’ve gained from monsters, and watch amusing cut-scenes that’ll make you laugh. It’s not just the cut-scenes that’ll make you laugh, either, because there’s a great sense of humour throughout the game. Every item you collect will have a description, and usually these will consist of terrible puns, but the kind of terrible puns that are actually awesome and make you laugh.

And then there’s the battles. These are pretty complex at first, and really take some explaining, so I’ll leave that to the tutorial because you should have queued it for download by now. You have, haven’t you? The basic premise is that you have three fields, one attacks, one defends and one charges your MP. You simply switch between them with the triggers and press the buttons on your controller/dance mat/guitar in time to the arrows that appear on screen. There’s a little more to it than that, but that’s it in a nutshell and it works brilliantly. There’s a great challenge to be found in the battle system and it’s easy enough to use that you’re able to meet it.

rHxf3.jpg

And the music, of course, the music! Ronald Jenkees and DJ Plaeskool provide tunes for the battles, and they’re all really ace. I don’t know how to review music so I’ll cut some words from a pretentious online review of a random unrelated-to-Sequence song so that I can pretend I know what I’m talking about even though the words are largely meaningless. “Musically it’s the cream of nostalgic pop; but in purely conceptual terms, the music is too busy flying on clouds of giddy adolescent wonder to plunder the depths of its pretensions with conviction.”

What does that even mean? I sure don’t know.

And that’s Sequence, great music, great mechanics, and a great laugh. All for a great price! (Oh yeah, I don’t just throw this together, you know.)

5x6gz6.jpg

The Silver award, for games that are incredible, but hey, only one game can be the Gold award winner. In any other month, any of these could have earned it!

So that leaves Blocks that Matter just narrowly missing out. It was the narrowest of margins, too, because Blocks that Matter really is tremendous.

As you can quite clearly see from the screenshot, it’s a 2D platformer, but more than that it’s a 2D platformer with heart and with a love for videogames. Each of the game’s forty or so levels has a block to find within it and each of these blocks corresponds to a block-based videogame throughout history that you’ve probably played and loved, because Swing Swing Submarine have. It’s even cleverer than just that, though, and it was pointed out on another forum that even the location of the blocks is as awesome as the blocks themselves sometimes. Remember that Super Mario block you picked up? Remember what you had to do to get it? It’s just an amazing amount of care and love that’s gone in to this.

ibFeX.jpg

Love isn’t enough to make a good game, though, otherwise surely you’d be reading about ‘Sex or Love?’ instead of Sequence. Blocks that Matter is a tribute to videogames by being an awesome game in its own right. The platforming mechanics are great, with everything being blocky, you always know exactly how high you can jump, where you can get to and stuff like that.

Then there are puzzles, too. The gameplay gets you to collect blocks of matter, and then use them to build your own platforms to continue. These can only be placed as Tetrominoes, though, and so you have to make sure you’ve got enough blocks, you’ve got enough space, and you keep enough blocks back to make sure you can build more platforms later.

All of this set against a heart-warming tale of kidnap, robots and intrigue.

It really doesn’t do anything wrong at all.

=================

Avatar Legends is another game that could easily have been the best game of the month. It’s, well, it’s an RPG with avatars. What more is there to say?

Well plenty actually. Because if you read the title you’d be forgiven for thinking that it’s another shit cash-in using avatars to sell a game that isn’t good enough to survive on its own. But that’s not the case here, because Avatar Legends is full of more content, care and skill than pretty much every other avatar game on the service.

At its core you’ve got a ten-hour single player quest. This is full of dialogue and specifically, dialogue choices that make me laugh. There seems to always be something silly that you can choose to say, and I love that about it. The fighting is cool, too, a simple action-RPG mechanic but implemented really competently, and so it doesn’t remove you from the world to partake in it. There’s a coherence there.

mLLA7.jpg

That would be enough.

But there’s more! If you feel like a change from the single player campaign, or you just feel like you could do better, you can! There’s an extensive editing mode that you can use to create worlds, quests, and basically your whole game from scratch. Then you can share it with friends.

That would be enough. And it is. A bargain, and get it now because it’s cheap, and will be increasing its price in the future!

=================

greenTech+ is a puzzle game about global warming with a fairly interesting visual style. It’s bloody hard as well.

CiYYt.jpg

The goal is to get some orb-thingys to some reactor-thingys that make the orb-thingys safe, and that stops global warming. I’ll confess, I wasn’t paying that much attention to the plot. Anyway, you do this by moving a wisp-thingy (sorry) around, because the orbs are always attracted to it and follow it wherever it goes. So you collect them, and then lead them to where they’ve got to go.

This sounds simple enough, but there are some areas which you have to avoid hitting with the orbs because you’ll lose health. This means that you have to lead them safely around the screen and when there’s a bunch of orbs coming from loads of different places at once, keeping them all safe at once isn’t easy. That’s where the puzzle comes in, because you’ll have to replay and replay to work out where the best places to lead the orbs are at any one time, and it’s quite satisfying to work it out and then execute your plan.

=================

Hedge Wizard is another puzzle game that I really like. You’re a peasant who has to collect gold for a lazy wizard, and bring it to his tower. If the wizard pisses you off, though, you won’t want to give him gold so you control the wizard’s magic to avoid the aforementioned off-pissing.

How might a wizard piss off a peasant? Well, by burning his village down. Or crushing it. Or flooding it. Or via the medium of zombie outbreak. Loads of ways, basically, so you have to use the magic to prevent these disasters occurring before the gold can be obtained.

oUtXg.jpg

For example, you could cast a water spell in a dried up river to stop a fire crossing from one side to the other and burning the village down. That’s a simple level, but it gets loads more complicated than that. And even that simple example could be more complex than it first seems. If you’ve flooded the river, how can you cross to the other side to take the gold to the wizard’s tower? There’s lots of moments like this, and I love puzzle games that do this – make it seem like you’ve solved the puzzle but then throw in a final unexpected twist that makes you have to think again.

If you have to think again, you can use the game’s excellent time travelling feature. As you play, the game creates a number of points you can return to, so you can go back to the moment you cast a spell and cast it again on a different spot, and stuff like that. It’s really very good, and if you like puzzles at all you’ll want this.

=================

UpBot Goes Up is another brilliant puzzle game. As someone who’s slightly mental for puzzle games, this month really is terribly good.

UpBot is probably the most traditional of them, being influenced quite heavily by Sokoban. The goal is as it is in that game, get the blocks to the correctly coloured spaces. The twist here is that each block moves at the same time as all the blocks of that colour, and can only move in the direction indicated on its top.

3YTKg.jpg

So you have to move them around, using blocks to push other blocks into place while ensuring that those blocks can still get where they’re going, etc. It’s all so well designed, and the concept is so good, that it’s one of my favourite puzzle games on the service. The presentation, particularly, is really good. I hope this ends up on iPhone or something where people might actually buy it, because it deserves far more than it’ll get on Xbox LIVE Indie Games.

================

And the puzzles keep coming with Shape Shop! This is more traditional, as puzzles go. You get a bunch of pentominoes, a silhouette, and you have to fill it using whatever shapes you need. It controls really well, there are a number of similar things on iPhone but having the triggers to rotate pieces is so much more user friendly.

KGEz8.jpg

It’s the presentation I really like, though. Maybe not so much the visuals, but the sounds. Each piece has its own little tone and it plays when you select it, and then completing a puzzle plays a little jingle of the tones of all the pieces you used. It’s just weirdly satisfying, for some reason.

There are 111 puzzles. Stupid amounts of content for yo’ dolla’.

27yn4nr.jpg

The Bronze Award, not the best games out this month, but every one of these is still either great, or has a really unique aspect to it that more than makes it worth trying.

Explosive Gas is Bomberman with, well, with gas. It’s a pretty good representation of it, and there’s a level editor too which is fun. The included Minesweeper mode is an interesting, if totally broken, twist. Definitely worth trying if you’ve got mates round.

Minions! is a cool little, I dunno, third person adventure game? Something like that. You just get a few tasks to complete (“kill the boss!”) and then you go around the level finding enemies and trying to, well, kill them. It controls pretty nice, and is fun.

Mr. Gravity is a puzzle game that I respect for what it tries, but it doesn’t always work. That is to say, it works, but it can be kinda confusing and frustrating as a result. You simply have to alter the gravity to direct your guy through a maze, avoiding hazards, etc. Moveable blocks is where it gets annoying, but it’s worth seeing if you can get the hang of it.

Sky Ninja War is a side scrolling shmup. I like it mainly because it’s a bit a silly. The first boss is a bunch of guys cycling to power a helicopter type enemy. It’s, as I say, silly. It’s all lovely and colourful, too. Blue skies in gaming.

Call of the Underworld is a more traditional shmup, kinda, because it’s all bosses. It looks retro, and the bullet hell nature of it works pretty well.

Battle for Venga Islands isn’t the best game, but it’s a very interesting experiment. The game part of it is a twin-stick shooter that works, but isn’t spectacular. Where it’s interesting is that when you play, you’re either red or blue. If you’re red, you have to capture blue territories (by winning the twin-stick) and vice-versa. The world is shared between everyone that’s playing at the same time, though, so it really feels like a full-on war between nations. It’s pretty ace in that respect.

Akane the Kunoichi is a neat 2D platformer which I enjoyed, the jumping is nice and the platforming is too, if a little slippery. There’s a decent range of enemies and the levels are well designed, with exploration in mind to find some hidden items that’ll unlock a secret ending. It can be frustrating sometimes, though, because if you lose all your energy you have to start the whole level again, no checkpoints, and the levels can be long.

bumblepig is kinda of a scrolling shmup, but your aim is to collect pollen and then deliver it to flowers. Depending on the colour of the flower or of the pollen, the flower will change colour. If you keep making them the same colour you’ll build your combo and get more and more money. You use this money to buy what every bee always spends their money on: new hats.

160yng3.jpg

Even in good months, some games are bad. Really bad. So bad that they don’t even deserve a functioning link to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace. But if you’re in the mood for some punishment, or just want to be reminded how much better the games above are, check these out, last month’s most terrible games.

10 Amazingly Awful Games. Haha! Ironic title! No, actually, it’s perfectly accurate.

Shoot or Date. Shoot. Myself. In the face.

Sex or Love? Sex. Myself. In the- no, wait.

G.O.R.K. is kinda like Feeding Frenzy, but with foes that home in on you, chase you, and move quicker than you do. There is no evading them and there’s really not much fun to be had here.

Urban Micro Racers is a top-down racer, what I wouldn’t give for a decent one of these. This isn’t it. If you crash into walls or your opponents a few times you explode and it’s very difficult to avoid doing so due to the controls and the unpredictable nature of your opponents. It’s difficult to even finish a single lap. It’s a bizarre mechanic that’s totally unnecessary.

Story Tale Mania Apocalypse is a game that puts a bunch of words of your choosing into a story. Unfortunately, it’s such a huge bunch of words that the story is always nonsense, so there’s no point at all.

Dragon Forge is a game where you pilot a dragon around barren landscapes until you… I don’t know. I’ve no idea what you have to do. You can kill a few enemies and then a few minutes later they come back, and then you kill them again and nothing continues to happen.

Rushing Punch<&#12521;&#12483;&#12471;&#12531;&#12464;&#12497;&#12531;&#12481;>. Where to begin. You know that bit in Ghost World where Thora Birch says that a band are so bad that they’ve gone past “so bad they’re good” and back to bad again? That’s Rushing Punch.

Avatar's Rock Paper Scissors is quite astonishingly bad. First there's the peculiar apostrophe in the title that means I can't quite work out what it means. Then there's the fact the the dev hasn't even bothered to animate the avatars, so you play rock paper scissors by standing perfectly still and then doing that shitty default celebration hand in the air thing if you win. Then there's the same Kevin MacLeod music that I am utterly sick of at this point. Best of all, there's three difficulty levels. As you are probably aware, rock paper scissors is a game that is totally random and requires no skill at all. The only thing that these difficulty levels could mean is that on hard the AI is going to be a massive cheat. This is the worst game this month by some margin, I think.

Plane Traffic is Flight Control, but it doesn’t work. You begin with a menu screen with a woman that might actually be a man, I can’t tell. The problem is in the way you select planes. You use the right stick to select them and if there’s a plane slightly off screen you sometimes select it and it means you can never be sure when you press the button whether you’re going to select the plane you want. At first, this doesn’t matter. When it gets even a tiny bit busy it’s unplayable.

Zombie Sausages 2 is… what? I honestly can’t work out what’s different between this and Zombie Sausages. It’s exactly the same game as far as I can tell. Same controls. Same modes. What?

lW3M1.gif

And to end on an awesome note…

Well shit, you know what? This thread means that I’ve been playing Indie Games and then making threads about them for an entire year. Howsaboutthatthen? And so, in an incredible feat of copy and pasting skillz, here’s twelve of my favourite things from the last year that you just might have forgotten about… You probably haven’t forgotten Hypership so I’ll leave it for this time!

OSR Unhinged is the sequel to Old School Racer, which I awarded the very first Game of the Month award to. That was a year ago and I still go back and play it now, and OSR Unhinged is every bit as good, and even better, for all the same reasons.

People will accuse it of being a Trials clone, but they miss the point. While it’s similar, OSRU has a much more lenient feel to it, so rather than falling off all the time, many positions are recoverable. I know that Trials HD frustrates a lot of people and for them, this is the game they need. It’s also got loads of other little tricks, like messed up gravity in some levels, night levels, that make it interesting.

7pfzp.jpg

Where it’s amazing though is in the sheer amount of stuff to do. There are loads of levels and medals to be won on each when you’ve unlocked the faster bikes. Bikes are unlocked by collecting tokens in each level which are hidden or placed around each course.

Soon, to collect all the tokens and compete on the online leaderboards for quick times, you’ll have played each level ten or twenty times. There’s loads of levels, some mini-games, it’s just content-city and it’s only 80 Microsoft Points. Essential.

=================

Aah Little Atlantis is a strategy, almost puzzle game, the like of which I’ve never played before.

Your aim is to rescue all the Atlanteans from Atlantis which (oh noes!) is sinking. Well, you can kill them all too if you like... Let's assume you want to rescue them though, you have 25 turns to do it. Each turn you flood one piece of land, and then launch a meteor, preferably not at an Atlantean, please. The Atlanteans then move.

screen1_Web.jpg

Atlanteans move based on where you flooded, they're afraid of it so they move a square away if they can. If they can't move away though, they will move a square closer, everyone moves exactly one space every turn. The sea may stop them moving away, another Atlantean might be in the way, or the land might prevent them moving away. They can only move one height up or down from where they are now, in this order:

Sandbar > Beach > Grass > Woods > Mountains > Meteors

So if they're on grass, they can only move to the beach or the forest. Every five turns, the lowest land is flooded by the sea, and everyone on it drowns, until the mountains are eventually flooded and we see who you've rescued.

So, as God, it's up to you to flood squares of land to ferry your Atlanteans to higher ground, and eventually get them on to meteorites where they’re safe. You've got to make sure they stay on those meteorites too, they'll hop off again if you have a turn and there's nowhere else for them to go.

You can see the graphical style is basic, but it's charming and works really well. The music is excellent too and the tutorial, which I recommend, is funny. It says at the end of the overview tutorial that you can ignore the rest, but I wouldn’t advise it!

There's tons to watch out for with every move you make, it's just an excellent little strategy title, you’ve played nothing like this before, and it’s yours for 80 Microsoft Points.

=================

Gravitron360 is excellent. It’s a stylish, beautiful game which I guess most brings to mind memories of Thrust. You pilot a ship that feels perfect to control, with every boost with the right trigger making the ship react exactly how you’d expect. Rather than rotating the ship left and right with, well, left and right, the direction you press the analogue stick in is the direction in which the ship heads. Your mission is to destroy a number of targets and then escape the planet’s atmosphere. Choosing to save some engineers along the way, or not.

screen4_Web.jpg

The engineers can repair your ship and are worth a few hundred points, but if you take too long to pick them up, or don’t have enough damage to make it worthwhile, it’s probably better to just leave them and pick up the time bonus. Unless you’ve got a conscience, or are excellent at the game and just don’t take that long to pick them up.

screen3_Web.jpg

To help with getting excellent, your skills are forced to improve in a number of challenge modes. There’s one where you have to pick up engineers quickly, and another which forces you to race through checkpoints, and a couple more besides. These challenges are very, very difficult, and will take a lot of practice to beat but developing the skills in these challenges will lead to much improved scores over the main game’s 70 levels.

It’s 80 Microsoft Points, this one, which is an absolute pittance for the amount of quality gameplay you’re getting.

=================

MILITARY SNIPER-SIM 3.18 was ridiculously close to getting my shout for best game of the month last September. It’s a sniping game, you're given targets and you have to hit them. It doesn’t look great, but what makes this excellent is how in depth it is, and in particular its logbook.

screen1_Web.jpg

First, you take a shot under normal conditions, but even then you have to take into account your breathing and trigger action. Then you can change stuff up, the wind, the temperature, the target distance. Each of these affect the path of the bullet. When you get a successful hit it's noted in your logbook and you can then use the settings you found out to adjust your rifle and make sure next time you have a shot in those conditions, your shot is perfect. Practice practice practice and fill in the logbook, and you can take on a ten shot challenge under variable conditions and see how well you can score. The first sniping game on XBLIGs or even anywhere that's been done really well, and genuinely feels like how I’d expect sniping to feel. Brilliant stuff.

Go rate this one high, because it’s got a fairly low score right now, and I can only assume it’s because people were expecting some depth-free sniping experience like their generic FPSs would give them.

=================

Treasure Treasure: FFEE is a one or two player 2D platformer in which the player has to explore a huge single level looking for treasure. Don’t let the fact that there’s one level put you off, there’s loads to do here. There are 21 treasure chests dotted around the fortress, and a boy and girl are searching for them. Each one is a test for the player in how to reach and then open it; they can only be opened from the side so clearing obstructions or simply getting to each chest is a self-contained puzzle.

kmIH7.png

The game can be played on your own by pressing Y to switch between the pair, or is even better when you’ve got two players with one person controlling each character. The characters have different skillsets so it’s essential to keep them together where possible, though the splitscreen effect is excellent. The boy can push huge blocks and carry smaller ones, as well as carrying bombs. The girl has a much higher jump, and using their skills effectively is key to reaching and opening all 21 chests.

And then, of course, the style. Set in a GameBoy-like window, with the palette reminiscent of that system. The animation is brilliant, and the idle animations especially so. Sound, also, is top class. The whole package is a steal at 80 Microsoft Points.

=================

DiceXY is excellent. You may not be aware, but I'm in love with a videogame called Loopop Cube: Lup &#9733; Salad. This game takes the same basic mechanic but removes Salad, remaining an excellent puzzle game. Have you heard of Puzznic? It's that with Dice!

All you have to do, is move the dice around the grid (which works on a 2D plane, so you must account for gravity) and match two of them to make them disappear. It sounds delightfully simple.

0nwgL.jpg

It's not, though. Sometimes you'll need to match three, or you'll match three and have one left over, or you'll have to match them in a specific order so that the immovable blocks don't get in the way.

It controls great, takes advantage of one of the best puzzle mechanics around, and is a must buy.

=================

radiangames Fluid is the fourth game from radiangames, after JoyJoy, Crossfire (now reduced to 80 Microsoft Points) and the excellent Inferno. Fluid, though, is the best of the lot.

9fuP0.jpg

The gameplay is extremely simple, and reminds me in a way of Halfbrick Echoes. You are placed in a course and faced with loads and loads of orbs dotted around the place. You have to collect them all to finish the level. Simple, right? Well, no. For every orb you collect, an enemy takes its place. These are slow but they track you and when there are fifty after you at once, they’re hard to avoid.

You’re helped by a few powerups, there’s a warp zone which transports you to another part of the level, and another powerup that allows you to carve through the enemies without dying. It slows you down, though, and speed is key.

MfBln.jpg

There’s an excellent medals system at work, see. A number of target times are given, and you can earn between zero and four silver medals depending on the speed at which you complete the level. Complete it even faster and you can earn gold medals, though these are very, very hard to achieve. And of course, very, very addictive to go after. It’s this that keeps you playing and playing. The levels are quite small but this just adds to the speed running addictiveness. With so little area to play in shaving milliseconds off your time becomes compulsive.

It looks brilliant, as all the radiangames games do, and there’s tons and tons of gameplay if you let yourself get drawn in to collecting gold medals.

Got some coverage on Kotaku, this, and an 8/10 at Eurogamer. I hope that helps and this gets the sales it deserves to get. It’s only 80 Microsoft Points, after all.

=================

In The TEMPURA of the DEAD You play as either President Obama Tompson who looks remarkably like (a black) Lupin at times, or a samurai who looks like a cliché samurai type. Tompson has a gun and can attack from a distance, but his attacks are weak. It's also harder to juggle zombie heads. Yeah, juggle zombie heads. The samurai uses his sword which is stronger and easier to juggle with, but can only attack at close range, clearly. It's a sword. You can switch between the two at any time by pressing Y.

s79m0.jpg

You have to save the zombies' souls, or they'll just keep on a-coming. You do this by detaching the head from the body, and then juggling it a few times. This is explained to hilarious effect in the opening cut-scene. If you manage it, you'll go into Tempura Feaver mode, where you only need to hit every head once to save it. Miss a head though, and TF mode stops. The more souls you save, the more lives you get which is what the game uses as currency.

You’ll soon rack up hundreds and hundreds of lives, but to upgrade your health and weapons, that’s what it’s gonna cost you. Still, the game over screen is very, very rare. Not that that’s a problem, it’s actually a great solution to the whole “are lives necessary?” debate. They’re there, and relevant, but there’s no focus on them at all unless you’re not paying attention and you overspend. Even then, you’ll soon rack up loads more.

It plays brilliantly, and the characters are different enough that they both have their advantages. Tompson can't jump as high, etc. It looks amazing, go see the screenshots on the dashboard, and just look how 8-bit it is. You know what that means, right? Fucking awesome chiptunes. It sounds wonderful.

hnAAA.jpg

The most incredible aspect is probably how much of a proper game it feels like. There’s a map screen with 24 levels which is just tons of gameplay, and within those levels there are fights with huge bosses, tons of different enemy types, and loads of platforming to do. If this was released 20 years ago, it would have sold hundreds of thousands of copies at $60 a piece, and that’s no exaggeration. That it can be had for $3 now is just insane.

One of the easiest buys on XBLIGs.

=================

Iredia: Atram's Secret is really, really awesome. The first thing you notice is that it looks really great. The second thing you notice is that when you press jump, you jump about half a second later. Normally this is enough to kill a game but Iredia: Atram's Secret is strong enough that it doesn't matter, and there's not really much in the way of precision platforming so you've got time to get used to it and you'll rarely die. It's not really about dying - there are no enemies.

You want to take a flute to your new-born sister, but she's born deaf, so you can't play it for her and she'll never be able to play it herself. Besides, a cat grabs it and runs away with it. The rest of the game is spent chasing after your flute and, erm, learning about ears.

It's an educational game, see, and you get little bits of information about how ears work and stuff as you play through the levels. Then, at the end of every level, you get a small test to see if you've been paying attention. It's really quite excellent.

vtl9U.jpg

In the first level you learn about parts of the ear, then you learn about audiograms which can measure the level of hearing of a person. In this level you can fine-tune your hearing so you only hear certain sounds, and can jump on them to reach new places. In the third level you learn about hearing aids and have to find hearing aids to give to frogs to pass. Next comes sign language. Little guys are using it and you have to work out from that which way to go, and stuff, it's amazing. It’s shortlived, but amazing for its entire duration.

The ultimate goal is to get your flute back and, I guess, reassure yourself that your baby sister will still get some joy from it. Which is fucking lovely, really.

I honestly think this is one of the loveliest games I've ever played, it’s just beautiful.

=================

Commander - World 1 is a tower defence game. If those two words haven't turned you off, then you need this game. Y'see, it's tower defence like I haven't played before. It looks brilliant, and the choice of music is just utter genius. It's all classical, and when you feel like you're in some massive space war and you're listening to classical music, my God, the atmosphere is just immense. It'd be worth a dollar ($60) for that alone. But the gameplay is great too, and really turns tower defence on its head, in a way.

Normally there are two ways TD works. Enemies come on a set path, or you build towers to direct them places. Here, they start on a path that constantly evolves. The path orbits around different planets, and as the planets move, so does the path. Then, it gets better. You can add gravitational turrets to planets that don't have them, and then the path has to orbit around them too, so you can send it all over the place.

zppgy.jpg

Aside from that, it's tower defence as standard, pretty much. But that's MORE than enough to make this game awesome. It's really funny as well. The loading screens, certainly, but also you get a hilarious message when you lose. It really made me grin.

80 Microsoft Points is nothing.

=================

The Deep Cave was something I played briefly and wrote off because the controls were a bit slippy and weren’t quite precise enough for this kind of super-hard 2D platforming. Think Super Meat Boy. There were a few issues with the hitbox as well, meaning you’d die sometimes when you’re sure you weren’t hit. Wrote it off.

But it stuck with me, for some reason. After I’d deleted the trial, I wanted nothing more than to play it again. The incredible music was in my head, and the lovely visuals were washing around my mind, and I just had to have another go.

QE2mP.jpg

So I spent the 80 points and bought it, and don’t regret a thing. The previous criticisms do still stand, but it’s something that you get used to and work with rather than against. The short levels and instant restarts mean that even if you do die, you never lose much progress, and so it’s never really that frustrating. There are three endings to earn depending on (I think) how many times you die. Loads of levels, loads of dying. I was well over five hundred by the end!

And by that end, I really really liked it.

=================

Astroman is a Metroidvania. You’re stranded on a strange planet after you crash land and you have to visit different planets finding bits to repair it with so you can go home.

0tT8h.jpg

You do this by going around 2D platformer-like levels shooting enemies and jumping and the such. Unfortunately, you’ll find that even in the first level there’s plenty of areas you can’t reach, so after later planets when you find upgrades for your jump and things like that, you can revisit earlier planets to find all the stuff you missed first time around.

New planets are visited by flying to them in your ship, and the more parts of the ship you find the further you can travel from the starting point and the more levels that open up to you. The whole progression in the game is just brilliant.

The platforming is really good too. It looks fantastic and everything is really crisp and chunky, the controls are really responsive and it all combines to make something that works. The jumping is ever so slightly floaty but I can forgive it because it still feels fine, and hey, who’s to say what the gravity’s like out there?

G8JFq.jpg

It could do with a deadzone on the controller, as I was constantly walking left when I didn’t want to, usually off of platforms onto spikes or into enemies. In spite of this, though, I had loads of fun with this.

Loads of content, plays brilliant, and an easy purchase.

===========================

So, what did you think of these games? What do you think of what you’re playing this month?

Now go play. YOU'RE GOING TO BE BUSY!

Previous threads, where all the older stuff lives:

The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of April 2011 | LaserCat
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of March 2011 | Solve It - Pack 1
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of February 2011 | Ninja360°
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of January 2011 | Bonded Realities
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of December 2010 | Score Rush
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of November 2010 | The TEMPURA of the DEAD
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of October 2010 | radiangames Fluid
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of September 2010 | Hypership Out of Control
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of August 2010 | Gravitron 360
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of July 2010 | PLATFORMANCE: Castle Pain
The best Xbox LIVE Indie Games of June 2010 | Old School Racer
The (old) XNA Indie Games Official Thread

Releases this month by date:

May 1st

Balls
flap!
Avoider

May 3rd

Explosive Gas

May 4th

Endless Midnight: Zombie Swarm
PowerSpinners
Minions!

May 5th

Sequence

May 6th

Music Box
Dwarven Depths

May 7th

Spanker's Army
Stick 'Em Up: VS Arena

May 9th

greenTech+
The Last Pod Fighter

May 10th

10 Amazingly Awful Games
Shoot or Date

May 11th

Urban Micro Racers
Story Tale Mania Apocalypse

May 12th

Blocks that Matter
Heavy Payload 2

May 13th

Sex or Love?
G.O.R.K.

May 14th

Marble Puzzle
Tears of Ashes
*Removed

May 16th

Mr. Gravity
Speed 7

May 17th

Apple Orchard Math
PaperCraft
bumblepig
Sky Ninja War

May 18th

Nucleon
The Bomber
BombLocker

May 19th

Octave Bar Clock
Hedge Wizard
Dragon Forge

May 20th

Call of the Underworld
Rushing Punch<&#12521;&#12483;&#12471;&#12531;&#12464;&#12497;&#12531;&#12481;>

May 21st

Hangman 360
&#37444;&#12365;&#12423;&#12435;&#12460;&#12540;&#12523;
Conquest

May 22nd

May 23rd

Refractor
Battle for Venga Islands
UpBot Goes Up

May 24th

7 gunfighters

May 26th

Plane Traffic

May 27th

Zombie Sausages 2

May 28th

Akane the Kunoichi

May 29th

Why Did I Buy This?
Astro Cluster

May 31st

Shape Shop
Monsters in Neon Space
Sumo Squash

mujun

Awesome thread (again) which really does a great job of showing how much awesome stuff there is on XBLIG. I'm still amazed that the service doesn't get more love in the industry and on the boards.

Gaspode_T

Great job! One awesome thing about XBLIG games - they're usually small in disk size.

My # of bought XBLIG games is climbing towards 75 and I only have a 60GB HDD, I have three games installed to the hard drive and a bunch of XBLA games too. (I'm almost always out of space now but that's a different problem...). I don't see how people survive with the 20GB hard drives (or even HDD-less 360).

Playing some of the new releases...

Shape Shop. Well polished, controls mapped out pretty smartly. If you like these shape puzzles you'll like this.

Monsters in Neon Space. Unique looking neon horizontal shooter. I like it's power up system, how you get to choose what you want to get in exchange for your ...balls?

Sumo Squash. Multiplayer only. No AI. Pass.

Avatars Don't Bleed. Horrible graphics and sound. Controls alright. Certainly no competition for Meat Boy, but not as bad as one might think just by looking at it.

Avatar Fantasy RPG. An RPG stripped of pretty much everything except battling and leveling up. Inventory system is a mess.

nli10

Great thread, I've trialed up the interesting ones I don't have.

I'm sitting on around 5,000 points at the moment so it's tempting just to buy everything, but in general I only buy what i'll get my money's worth. That said I already had 3 of the top games this month and plans to buy more...

mclem

Finished Avatar Legends last night. Despite inundating poor Barkers Crest with a ridiculous quantity of nitpicky bug reports, rather enjoyed it. It got a little samey towards the end, but that's a minor niggle given the amount of stuff in it for the money. And I've still not tried multi!

qupe1975

Neo Member
I have been reading about Call of the Underground having played the trial and provided some feedback on the developers homepage. My comments have gone but since then a load of people had a go that the game was a rip off and the developer has removed the Xbox version as a result and released a free PC version.

Nose Master

Randomly picked up Avatar Adventures Online. What an odd game. How exactly do the servers work? Are you just put onto a random server until it hits 8/16?

Thing is such a shameless FFXI clone, I love it.

Kafel

Banned
Congrats to Feep! It's awesome to see all of these gaffers releasing great games on the service. Also, just wanted to tell toythatkills that he does a great job every month on these threads. You also do a huge service to some of the indie developers. The monthly XBL indie thread is always among my most read threads for the month even though I rarely contribute.

Anyway, I hope more gaffers have awesome games to contribute to the service and keep up the great work toythatkills!

Fight over FortressCraft leads to fake murder and real SWAT team.

Eugene police said they had no choice Monday night but to take seriously a 911 caller’s startling claim that he had just shot his father inside a River Road area apartment and was about to kill himself.

“It sounded like a critical call,” police spokeswoman Melinda McLaughlin said.

Fourteen police officers arrived at the Riviera Village complex on Corliss Lane in response to the 9:23 p.m. emergency call.

They left the scene after determining that the report suggesting a potential murder-suicide had occurred was bogus, McLaughlin said.

Investigators suspect the 911 caller obtained the name, address and telephone number of a man who lived at the apartment, then used that information to retaliate against the tenant after the pair squabbled while playing an online game on their Xbox video systems, McLaughlin said.

The apartment resident — a 26-year-old man who spoke with The Register-Guard on condition of anonymity — said he was targeted because he refused to give another player content that he had created for a game called FortressCraft.

“He tried to twist my arm over something relatively small in the game,” the Eugene man said.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's a real shame the XBLIG channel isn't available in New Zealand or Australia.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I bought Avatar Legends last nite... haven't put too much time in, but already I've seen there is an absurd amount of content, and it's relatively well-polished too. Really liked that Barker's Crest took a few of my suggestions to heart when I played an early alpha of it :)

Definitely a standout game on the service and I look forward to playing more! How many hours would you say the single-player is, for folks that have finished it?

wwm0nkey

djtiesto said:
I bought Avatar Legends last nite... haven't put too much time in, but already I've seen there is an absurd amount of content, and it's relatively well-polished too. Really liked that Barker's Crest took a few of my suggestions to heart when I played an early alpha of it :)

Definitely a standout game on the service and I look forward to playing more! How many hours would you say the single-player is, for folks that have finished it?
around 8 to 10 hours like it is suggested in the description of the game. very long Single Player.

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
OnPoint said:
Actually maybe...

Turns out he had a similar attack launched on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZDcj77pMT0

That link is a news story which is, oddly enough, from a local affiliate in my area

Anyway, here's his more about him being SWATed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jpWgJMTyvo&feature=fvwrel

Oh drama.

PS - here's his take on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uMZ-abJ8Y4&feature=related

Kind of sucks if it's all true. But, when you're a self-proclaimed a-hole you do paint a target on your forehead. Also, if you're scared for your family's wellbeing (and that would be normal), you should consider maybe changing your ways?

fernoca

Esoterica America..first time I hear about that game..and it looks..intriguing (gameplay and visuals)..and for $3?..Hmm....Lets check the demo then.

wwm0nkey said:
Wait...how...what.....

The 150mb limit is on the compressed package the developer uploads to peer review. What it ends up decompressing to on the marketplace is fair game.

However, still, 150 -> 660 is pretty interesting.

fernoca

Well, downloading the demo now..hope the size is not because of a mistake in the upload and it ends breaking my unit. :p

Feep

Banned
Parallax Scroll said:
holy shit sequence rules
^^

Sidenote: I did a lot of playtesting for Tacticolor. It's incredibly polished and tons of fun; possible contender for next month's Gold. Check it out!

fernoca

Well, Esoterica was..weird; but I liked it. There's even an Xbox 360 on the room, with a Duck Hunt-like mini-game that has you shooting at planes with both triggers (LT: left gun, RT: right gun).

It looks nice and clean, love the visual style..though the character sometimes gets stuck on objects (mine did between his bedroom and a wall with a bicycle). Nearly every dialog seems to be voice-acted, some characters by the same guy; which is sometimes funny..but also sometimes weird, as some dialogs seem to be recorded at different times or tones, some sound higher and others lower..even on the same scene.

Didn't get to play much of the main game, as it's quite story-heavy; walked around the rooms, tried the 360 on one of them, went downstairs, talked to my mother , a crystall ball-item is introduced; which makes the visuals really trippy.

I didn't wanted to play that much, since it seems to be a relatively difficult and slow game to get into in just a quick-demo, but I really liked what I played so I'll buy it. I need to get points first during the upcoming days. :)

Feep

Banned
For reference, it's likely the reason the .ccgame file is decompressing to 650 MB is because he's unpacking a large number of voice files into .wav's so he can play them as sound effects. I had to use a proprietary compression method because of some weird seek time issues...over 1,400 tiny little files caused an issue with the file system.

He should have just kept them as .mp3's, though. The default content processor can handle it.

Feep said:
I didn't even know this was made by a gaffer. Gratz dude, this game is ace.

Also, I haven't looked at the top rated list in a while but damn, some games like Cthulu and Epic Dungeon have dropped like crazy. Did the lacrosse assholes really fuck up the ratings that much?

Top Bottom