• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox LIVE Indie Games - The June 2011 Thread

Trumpets

FunInfusedGames said:
I have two versions of Hypership (paid at $1.99 and free). Sales and downloads of the paid version are awful. It probably wasn't worth the effort of making a paid version.

The free version gets more than 100 times the downloads the paid one gets. I get a solid $30 to $40 a month off of the ad revenue. Not much either, but far better than the paid version and given that it took me a month to do the port, it's not terrible.

What I really like about the WP7 version is that it has real online high scores, not the peer to peer stuff I had to do on XBLIG. http://www.funinfused.com/highScores...1&categoryID=1 Peer to peer worked at first but now that the total gamers playing Hypership has dwindled, it's mostly useless. Many more people play the WP7 version daily (which I know because I can see their scores).

Interesting, thanks. It makes you wonder why MS haven't implemented a proper online leaderboard system for XBLIG if they can do one for their telephone. Many, many games would benefit.

Interesting, thanks. It makes you wonder why MS haven't implemented a proper online leaderboard system for XBLIG if they can do one for their telephone. Many, many games would benefit.

Actually the online leaderboards I used for my WP7 game are something I wrote myself. Microsoft does have online leaderboards but just like on the Xbox, they are only allowed for the XBL approved titles.

But on the phone you can access the outside worked (ie anything on the Internet), unlike XBLIG where you can't get out of the XBL environment. Because of this, I could make my own my own database driven system, which is impossible on XBLIG.

XBLIG would benefit so much from leaderboards (I'd rather have these than Achievements personally) but there has been no indications we'll ever get these :(

SmallCaveGames

Neo Member
Warm Machine said:
Not to be oppositional but 150 meg has been pretty good.

Orbitron:Revolution comes in at 52 meg as a game package or something like that, with audio taking most of the space.

The ring model is 156,000 tris and pretty brute force, so no instancing of the sections (where we could save space).

The player ship(s) (2350 tris) and enemy models (average of 500 tris) are quite simple relatively speaking, but almost every model has a color map, spec map, normal map, and emmisive map. The average size texture is 512x512. The Player's ship and Ring sections are unwrapped with 1024x1024 textures. The skybox is comprised of 3 2048x2048 maps.

Throughout development I was pretty memory conscious, but coming out at the end taking only 1/3rd the memory requirements made me wish I had pushed the art a little more.

If anyone here is interested, I can do a breakdown of a model for the game that shows off the wireframe, texture unwraps, etc.

That's not oppositional, that's just good info. :) Yeah we're finding that you can stuff quite a bit in there in terms of 150MB. Maintaining performance when you have alot of models/textures on screen is going to be trickier (but viable) I think.

FunInfusedGames said:
XBLIG would benefit so much from leaderboards (I'd rather have these than Achievements personally) but there has been no indications we'll ever get these :(
As a gamer I'd rather have leaderboards, but if I was a developer it'd have to be achievements because that's what would start driving sales and earning money.

(And if more people were buying and playing and getting achievements, the peer-to-peer leaderboards might even be sufficient)

Bendt

Neo Member
Is the voting for Summer Uprising open to the public? Also they are only going to pick 8 games? The site says 2 games per week from 8/22 - 9/12 so that's 4 weeks.

Is the voting for Summer Uprising open to the public? Also they are only going to pick 8 games? The site says 2 games per week from 8/22 - 9/12 so that's 4 weeks.

We're going to let the public vote in 2 games. The promo will last 2 weeks, some of the website info isn't up to date. I believe Dave's working on some new press material that should clarify that.

Yup, a bit of the info has been changed, and rather than constantly update the temporary site, we've just been working on getting everything straight for the permanent one which will go up early next week, along with all of the details surrounding the event, a launch trailer, and press release.

Think Total Miner copies Minecraft's graphics too much? Make your own texture pack:

Texture pack competition

Blocks.png

Top Bottom