• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing (24 hour check-in) and Privacy Features

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not sure what I think if the policies yet - on surface they seem fine to me, family library access anywhere from any Xbone is cool - but coming out clean might be the first decent PR move Microsoft has done since the debacle started.

No fees to transfer licenses is great, only one transfer per game is unfortunate but workable.

Wait, if I transfer a game to my friend Bob, can Bob then transfer it to his friend Sally?

That would essentially be loaning becaue he could then give it back to you so i doubt it

So basically:

1. The 24 hour online thing remains
2. Can't freely lend game discs to others; there are prerequisites

Better than having to pay money to play used/borrowed games, but still a shitty system. MS is asking users to make these compromises in order to own their console. Why should they? MS hasn't answered that question I don't suspect they will.

Didnt expect game sharing with family / friends on other consoles.

Will be interesting to see what Sonys move is now MS gave some details.

Doesn't sound too bad, well better than I expected at least. The part about participating retailers has me worried though.

Edit: 24 hr check still sucks.

King_Moc

Banned
Honestly, sounds pretty good and some features are an improvement, like accessing your entire library logging into a friend or any "family members" playing your games. I wonder how they'll limit it to family members.

You can access them for one hour. Wouldn't you need to download and install the game first?

Tamanon

Banned
So trade in your used games at select retailers, so Gamestop, maybe Best Buy, maybe Walmart. I wonder if you can get cash for the games, or if they're going to try to keep it as credit added to your Live account.

Eliminates the ability for renting games though. It's a weird system, and I guess we see where EA will replace the Online Pass.

Anteo

Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers

Holy shit. Hahaha so EA can block you from selling games. Hahahahaha.

xaosslug

this is such a clusterfuck. People and friends are gonna buy the Xbone on launch, and when they try to exchange launch games - DENIED!

so, so fucked up.

Mrbob

24 check in isn't that bad? I guess one hour isn't that bad either now if you aren't using your own console.

We are hitting the acceptance stage already?

MarkusRJR

So I'm still unable to lend my discs to friends once I finish them, I can only give them away? That's fucking stupid. So is the 24 hour check in bullshit. My internet was out a few days ago for more than 3 days. I would be so pissed if I couldn't play any games during that period of time when I had nothing else to do.

Danny 117

These policies sound awful but I'm not gonna say 'fuck you MS' because Sony could do something very similar. I'm just gonna wait until E3 to see what their plans are.

So I'm still unable to lend my discs to friends once I finish them, I can only give them away? That's fucking stupid.

"Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

So it looks like you can 'share' your library with 10 family members / 10 friends and they will be able to play your games on their Xbox One, but only one of them can be playing a certain game at a certain time? Sounds decent.

12345mmuo7.gif

Woorloog

Banned
Well, uh, this actually sounds pretty good, for the most part.

But I do have three points I think are worth mentioning:

What. Like... once to a PERSON, or once, period?

I have a huge problem with this.

THIS

IS UNACCEPTABLE

Flat-out, 100%, unacceptable.

If I buy a game, I expect to be able to resell it at will. If I want to resell it on ebay or Amazon, I should be able to do that, and make, y'know, $20-30 off a game I sell, rather than the $5 or whatever that Amazon or Gamestop would offer. Also, this seems to screw over smaller retail chains I buy used games from that aren't gamestop.

Yes, absolutely unacceptable.
No private sales, online required... hell, if my ISP has issues, my connection is likely to be 24h+ offline...

- 24 hour DRM
- 1 hour DRM if not using home console
- No games rentals
- Used games determined by publisher, participating retailers only
- Can lend a game to a friend whom has been on your friends list for at least 30 days, and only once

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

JoJq2fz.gif

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
ahahaha

jacobs34

Man, leave it to the publishers to screw us. The 24 hour check ins is just an extra pain. Any chance Sony has different plans?

Read the restrictions on giving your games to friends, they have to be on your friends list for at least a month and the game can only be traded once.

ciridesu

Doesn't sound too bad imo

Not that I wouldn't rather have none of it

They are going to set up their own used game marketplace online though right??? right???

Replicant

Awful. We need to inform everyone else about this. Especially if your friends/family are known to have little to no internet connection, or even those with intermittent internet connections.

And as for me, it'd be "No thanks MS". I don't want to feel like a prisoner on parole with my game purchases.

Revven

Not buying MS, good job though! Seriously! I'm sure people will be glad that they can't sell their games privately!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't understand how it is better than we thought. It seems like a restatement of the shit Phil Harrison tripped over a few weeks ago with one exception-- sounds like there will be a limited lending feature but not at launch (no time commitment given). No private sales, and potentially no used game sales depending on publisher.

Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

This is actually cool. I wonder how they'll define "family" though.

Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Fuck that!

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Fuck that twice over!

This is what stood out to me...

The circled one sounds great... but I don't understand how that doesn't get abused to hell as a giant 10 person share? Does it cost a million dollars a month?

The rest is 'if the publishers enable" which is mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

jtb

Banned
Sounds like they're handing over responsibility to the publishers re: used games.

smart move for MS. let EA/actiblizzard take the PR hit, everyone hates them anyways.

CAn't see any publishers allowing used games.

So it's true. It's all true. Microsoft is colluding to set up a used game cartel with favored retailers.

We need permission to transfer and play legal copies of our games?

UNDER US LAW NO WE DO NOT.

I am livid.

AHA-Lambda

No rentals at least at launch? This is all so bad I can only laugh at this point, there is NO WAY I am buying one of these.

Sethos

Banned
I swear, Microsoft couldn't be clear and concise if the entire company was on the line. That shit is so vague, oddly formulated and some of it reads completely wrong to me, can be interpreted in 3-4 different ways and people will have to discuss HOW to interpret this shit instead of actually discussing what it says.

Yondy604

Banned
Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

wow

This is not nearly as bad as what people were anticipating, so color me content. Honestly, I still won't be picking up an Xbone; but hopefully this brings about less vitriol towards Microsoft.

saelz8

I don't understand why people are saying this is "Not as bad as I had thought"

What did you think then? This is everything we've known, just confirmed.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED

Top Bottom