• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One's exclusive cross-gen games will become free Scarlett games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with VANDAL on the X019, we asked Greenberg if we could play our Halo Infinite purchased for Xbox One on Xbox Scarlett. "First, all the Xbox One games you own today will work in Project Scarlett, as well as your accessories. If you buy our first-party games, let's say Halo Infinite as an example, we're going to give you the free Scarlett edition," the manager told us.

"Whenever you buy a Scarlett, let's say, a year after the release of Halo Infinite, you go and buy a Scarlett machine, you'll get the upgrade for that game as a free upgrade because you own that title. However, Greenberg doesn't make it clear whether that will be for all Xbox Game Studios games or only those that will be released for both machines at once, as will be the case of Halo Infinite and others announced during the X019 held on November 14.

CeeJay

No, because you will be playing the Scarlett version, not the Xbox One version.
But what if they are the same version?

A lot of the games being written now have dynamic scaling and it's perfectly reasonable to think that as the console power increases then the game can scale easily with it. all Xbox games are now coming to PC as well as console so the assets and code are there already for higher graphics quality, improved effects and higher framerates. There are already games out there for that will download different sets of assets depending on whether you are running the game on an Xbox One S or Xbox One X, Scarlett can easily just be an extension of that methodology without having to create a specific and separate Scarlett version.

A lot of the games being written now have dynamic scaling and it's perfectly reasonable to think that as the console power increases then the game can scale easily with it. all Xbox games are now coming to PC as well as console so the assets and code are there already for higher graphics quality, improved effects and higher framerates. There are already games out there for that will download different sets of assets depending on whether you are running the game on an Xbox One S or Xbox One X, Scarlett can easily just be an extension of that methodology without having to create a specific and separate Scarlett version.

If it's the same version, then it will be the same version. If it's not, then it won't be.
-Confucius

CeeJay

If it's the same version, then it will be the same version. If it's not, then it won't be.
-Confucius
It's obvious that it will be the same version with forward compatibility. He was just calling it a different "version" to avoid confusing the point he was trying to make to answer the question he was asked.

Three

What? Playing the Scareltt version isn't BC because you aren't playing the X1 version🤷🏻‍♂️
Is there a XB1X version of games today?

Somebody brought up LOU2 but you don't know if there is a PS5 'version' . We had remasters this gen like LOU1, Gears of War Remastered, MCC etc but this time we just have BC or FC games with scaled graphics. These are PCs in a box essentially.

Last edited:

Three

This first post. Seriously. What’s wrong with you? How can you spin this into something negative? I don’t get it.
I know your post history here so that's ironic. There was nothing negative about what I said.

If it's a crossgen game it would just be compatible just as XB1 games work on X1X or even 360 games with enhancement 'upgrades' you download. Seeing as there is no real massive architecture changes this gen and these are now PCs in a box it will likely just be running the same 'version' at higher settings.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

This is what I anticipated and was expecting next gen vs this gen to become were all games ship on the same disc and the Scarlett/PS5 versions would be ultra enhanced vs. the base PS4 and X1. This makes sense given that the architecture between this gen and next gen will be somewhat similar, with next gen having a lot more juice, which can be utilized in higher framerates, better textures and dynamic resolution.

It's definitely nice for MS to confirm this and I expect Sony will do the same.

As someone who has been an avid defender of Sony, I will say this though, if Sony decides to not do this, then I can see a lot of people potentially switching to Scarlett and would rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Is there a XB1X version of games today?

Somebody brought up LOU2 but you don't know if there is a PS5 'version' . We had remasters this gen like LOU1, Gears of War Remastered, MCC etc but this time we just have BC or FC games with scaled graphics. These are PCs in a box essentially.

There were plenty of games around the time of XB1 launch, weren't there? GTA V, Black Flag, CoD Ghosts, BF4, for example. I can't throw a 360 disc of GTA V or BF4 in an XB1 and play the XB1 version.

Last edited:
Jesus, all the Microsoft naysayers. He says it specifically :

"If you buy our first-party games, let's say Halo Infinite as an example, we're going to give you the free Scarlett edition"

That does not translate to the BC version of the game. That translates to, you will get the version that has all the Scarlett features, which I'm assuming means Higher Poly Models, 4k Textures, Ray-Tracing, better Physics, Better Resolutions, and whatever else the Scarlett has to offer.

Vasto

So current gen 1st party games will be getting an enhanced version for Scarlett? If true this is awesome.

Last edited:

nikolino840

So basically a OneX version with a upgrade patch? Sounds like an overly complicated way of saying BC to me.
Maybe we don't have all the info..i Remember tomb Raider the Xbox One version Is different from the 360 and not only res or texture..they changed the 3d model of Lara Croft

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In this case this is also FC (forwards compatibility). Buy once, play everywhere in all directions. No "remastered" editions sold at full price like TLOU for example.

That's not what forward compatibility means. Forward compatibility means you'll be able to play every future Scarlett game on your Xbox One forever.

VFXVeteran

Banned

"If you buy our first-party games, let's say Halo Infinite as an example, we're going to give you the free Scarlett edition"

That does not translate to the BC version of the game. That translates to, you will get the version that has all the Scarlett features, which I'm assuming means Higher Poly Models, 4k Textures, Ray-Tracing, better Physics, Better Resolutions, and whatever else the Scarlett has to offer.

Nah. They aren't going to redo all of that unless they made it already to begin with. Higher poly models, RT, and better Physics have never been the part of a port. A 'remake' sure, but not a 'remastered' edition.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Many people payed for mc collection before gamepass was a thing.
I did too because I wanted the entire collection and all the extras offered in MCC, but unlike TLOU on PS 4 it was NOT necessary in order to play Halo on the X1.

dilbag

Many people payed for mc collection before gamepass was a thing.

To be fair halo 2 actually got a massive overhaul, it wasnt just an up rez of the game. it was a true remaster, much like REmake 2 was. Sony usually just ups the resolution and frames and charges 60 bucks.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned

This can be done with a patch.
Doesn't mean is a different game, same happen now with pro and x
They have better textures and resolution and frame rate.

Neofire

This can be done with a patch.
Doesn't mean is a different game, same happen now with pro and x
They have better textures and resolution and frame rate.
Exactly, certain individuals are acting as though Scarlett owners are getting something completely different then the XboxoneX individuals.

No different then me playing BC ps4 games on the ps5 with enhancements.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I remember at the beginning of this gen there was some similar efforts going on with Call of Duty: Ghosts. I think it was like an upgrade for $10 or something. Destiny fell into this category too but I don't remember whether or not they had a similar deal because I bought Destiny on Xbox One. Then there was GTA V which just basically said "double-dipping is fundamental". It's good to hear that I don't have to wait for Scarlett to buy a game if it comes out in like October next year.

Small victories.

Dory16

Banned
That's not what forward compatibility means. Forward compatibility means you'll be able to play every future Scarlet
W
That's not what forward compatibility means. Forward compatibility means you'll be able to play every future Scarlett game on your Xbox One forever.
Buy once, play everywhere IS forward compatibility and backwards compatibility, like between the One and the X and that was forever.
Now they haven't said explicitely "Buy once, play everywhere" but I was making clear that they are saying NO to "remastered" market unlike their competitors. The X was only released 2 years ago, it's pretty safe to say that Scarlett games will play at least on the X. The only question is whether that compatibility will be forever like between the One and the X. I'd say all the messaging until now points in that direction.

Tomeru

Buy once, play everywhere IS forward compatibility and backwards compatibility, like between the One and the X and that was forever.
Now they haven't said explicitely "Buy once, play everywhere" but I was making clear that they are saying NO to "remastered" market unlike their competitors. The X was only released 2 years ago, it's pretty safe to say that Scarlett games will play at least on the X. The only question is whether that compatibility will be forever like between the One and the X. I'd say all the messaging until now points in that direction.

Nowhere did they say no to remasters. Cross gen games is a different thing than remasters. Remasters will happen for ever and they will continue to happen because why the hell not. We got some pretty amazing remasters this gen from all publishers and developers.

Nickolaidas

I hope Sony follows suit. That's some grade A incentive to purchase the newest console as soon as possible by Microsoft.

Dory16

Banned
Nowhere did they say no to remasters. Cross gen games is a different thing than remasters. Remasters will happen for ever and they will continue to happen because why the hell not. We got some pretty amazing remasters this gen from all publishers and developers.
They are saying no to charging for cross-gen remasters, or even releasing them. That's the direct implication of the statement in OP. If you bought it on the one you don't have to buy a separate Scarlett version.
It couldn't be clearer.
As for non cross-gen remasters, they will likely all come out on GP (like the whole final fantasy collection) which I find more than fair as a customer. They're not going the Nintendo route of selling me Doom 3 in 20019 for 30 quid and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "God of war remastered" version on PS5 at close to full-price in the future. There are precedents for that from the competition.

Three

There were plenty of games around the time of XB1 launch, weren't there? GTA V, Black Flag, CoD Ghosts, BF4, for example. I can't throw a 360 disc of GTA V or BF4 in an XB1 and play the XB1 version.
Yeah because we had a different architecture and they were selling two versions. Even for the different versions for 360 BC you download an enhancement pack online for free and get an enhanced game but in this case it's just wierd phrasing it like that.
no, because BC would mean you’d get the inferior version on the next system, rather than the Scarlett edition.
Ok, but what is the 'scarlett edition'? These are the same PC architectures the games are made for scarlett then dumbed down for XB1 or they are made for XB1 and higher scalable settings on Scarlett.

"Whenever you buy a RTX2080, let's say, a year after the release of Infinite warfare, you go and buy a RTX2080 card, you'll get the upgrade for that game as a free upgrade because you own that title."

Alright cool but that's a weird way of saying the games are FC/BC.

Last edited:

EDMIX

He was saying enjoy paying for your remastered last of us 2.

Or enjoy getting a remastered version of The Last Of Us 2 vs simply BC of the same title. Trust me, the XONE X and Pro versions of titles are not complete remasters like the scale of something like The Last Of Us PS4 remaster...

Nah. They aren't going to redo all of that unless they made it already to begin with. Higher poly models, RT, and better Physics have never been the part of a port. A 'remake' sure, but not a 'remastered' edition.
Honestly though, look at the time and attention they are putting into MCC. I expect that time and attention to go into a flagship title that's releasing on a brand new console. The version they showed off at E3 had all of that to begin with and there is no way what was displayed could have been done on the Xbox One X. I expect the game to be compiled and optimized for Xbox One, Xbox Next and PC.

Journey

Banned
I would expect this to be the case for cross-gen akin to how Pro and X are now. Good to have confirmation for the concerned.

What this means is you basically buy and own the license of the game. For instance I bought Brothers: A tale of two sons for Xbox 360, but they also released an Xbox One remastered version with HD assets and resolution. I could maybe play the muddy low resolution 360 version on Xbox One via BC, but if I wanted the HD remaster, I would have to buy the Xbox One remastered version. I guess this means if they remaster specific games for Scarlett, you get the remaster copy for free.

quickwhips

Or enjoy getting a remastered version of The Last Of Us 2 vs simply BC of the same title. Trust me, the XONE X and Pro versions of titles are not complete remasters like the scale of something like The Last Of Us PS4 remaster...
I loved play last of us remastered until they added pay to win guns....trust me.

quickwhips

Yea I don't play that games online so don't really care. I have no plans to play 2's online either.
Thats a weak answer as a game should be based on all its features or lack of them. Im not trying to piss you off but i feel usually you have reasonable answers.

Top Bottom