• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox players are greeted with a full-screen pop-up ad for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III when they boot up their Xbox console

plip.plop

Jim Carrey Whatever GIF

Xenon

So let me get this straight, the OP showed their anger at MS for putting an up an ad by posting that same ad.

Season 4 Jasmine GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Last edited:
So… why do *you* think MS did this?
why do they all do shit like this? because these corporations aren't half as clever, or 'smart', as people think they are? they almost all believe that there's no such thing as too much advertising, & continue to pour money into it. such 'beliefs' come to form an ideology eventually - they're no longer challenged or questioned for the most part. but, on the rare occasions when they are? in this instance, as the article i linked to demonstrates, the 'no such thing as too much advertising' thing is demonstrably shown to be completely false...

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
why do they all do shit like this? because these corporations aren't half as clever, or 'smart', as people think they are? they almost all believe that there's no such thing as too much advertising, & continue to pour money into it. such 'beliefs' come to form an ideology eventually - they're no longer challenged or questioned for the most part. but, on the rare occasions when they are? in this instance, as the article i linked to demonstrates, the 'no such thing as too much advertising' thing is demonstrably shown to be completely false...
Interesting article, but it doesn’t really apply to this scenario. That article is questioning the efficacy of advertising networks like Facebook and Google, with the criticism in part questioning the validity of the “clicks” that they derive. It doesn’t address direct-to-consumer digital billboards like what is being discussed here.

Putting pictures in front of people’s eyeballs still works, and it works well.

pasterpl

God forbid 1st party publisher advertise their game on their system. The whole fake outrage is funny as this is not the first time MS did this. In addition, you select close/exit you will not see this ad anymore. Each time I am firing steam I have got some ads popups, same with many other pc stores, no outrage detected. Neogaf is masters in blowing anything negative about MS out of proportion. This thread got more pages than bungie shit show. not really shocking on neogaf/s

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Hate stuff like this tbh. As if CoD isn’t advertised enough already. I know about and I’m not interested.

They should be careful with stuff like this when their entire GamePass model is built on not requiring any investment in their ecosystem. It’s never been easier to just put the Xbox in the trash can and move to something else.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Hate stuff like this tbh. As if CoD isn’t advertised enough already. I know about and I’m not interested.

They should be careful with stuff like this when their entire GamePass model is built on not requiring any investment in their ecosystem. It’s never been easier to just put the Xbox in the trash can and move to something else.
I once got a text message, and when I opened it I realized it was an advertisement from Verizon for some sale they were having. I threw my phone in the trash immediately. I have moved on to telepathy ever since. I recommend it, it's never been easier.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I once got a text message, and when I opened it I realized it was an advertisement from Verizon for some sale they were having. I threw my phone in the trash immediately. I have moved on to telepathy ever since. I recommend it, it's never been easier.
You’re doing God’s work.
d16dae0f9b29ddf86db8d4f8fb76e7b5.gif

Three

I've had an Amazon echo device since the very first generation ones (2014). Never had a problem with it. The other day the light came on saying I had a notification. When I asked it to read my notification it tried to sell me stuff and ask me if I wanted to add it to my basket. It angered me so much I actually did want to bin it or sell it. I do not need my bought electronics pestering me in my home to buy stuff thank you.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

so trashy. you paid 500$ for your xbox, it's supposed to be a premium product. imagine everytime you start the engine on your car you get blasted with some McDonalds ad or something. if people accept this it will also just be the beginning, next thing we get 5 sec unskippable ads, then they will open up ads for third parties and then for ads that have nothing to do with gaming at all. enjoy xbros.

King Dazzar

At this point, I genuinely wonder what MS could do, before the pro advert/fanboi crowd would get upset. At what point would it be too much? I dont think theres any limits. MS can literally do anything they want and rely on people defending it.

For me its quite simple. My gaming ui and dashboard has always been my hobby zen start place. Unless I'm in their store or searching for a game, I want to be free of adverts. And always free from politics and irrelevant corporate shite. Its my escape capsule.

I knew for a while now that this was a road Xbox would pursue further. When not only were the permanent 3 home page rectangle area adverts, but even pushing corporate political agendas too. Adverts for charity, adverts for pride, adverts for fast food. I digest this stuff through my normal daily life. I would like to be free from it all when I game. Full screen adverts are just another unwanted step on that Xbox journey. I find it repugnant.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
alot of you may think this is a small matter.
But we all know Microsoft is going to going further with these ads.
BS. They havent gone further in how many millenniums? And this isnt the first time: Starfield, Forza and the ABK deal....

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Anyone downplaying this is encouraging Xbox to go harder with more ads. No real person likes ads, so I can only assume actual corpo ai bots are downplaying this.

And at that point if the ads are a problem I’ll stop using my Xbox and use my other consoles or my PC. This is careening into the illogical territory where MS is going to start going HAM on ads with zero care or thought about customers, all because some of us aren’t freaking out about an ad you can instantly exit.

SenkiDala

Don't like it but I mean pressing a button is like 1 second so...

As long as it is ads for gaming it's ok, if that was ads for I dunno shaving cream or Macdonalds or stuff like this yeah that would sucks.

Gavon West

At this point, I genuinely wonder what MS could do, before the pro advert/fanboi crowd would get upset. At what point would it be too much? I dont think theres any limits. MS can literally do anything they want and rely on people defending it.

For me its quite simple. My gaming ui and dashboard has always been my hobby zen start place. Unless I'm in their store or searching for a game, I want to be free of adverts. And always free from politics and irrelevant corporate shite. Its my escape capsule.

I knew for a while now that this was a road Xbox would pursue further. When not only were the permanent 3 home page rectangle area adverts, but even pushing corporate political agendas too. Adverts for charity, adverts for pride, adverts for fast food. I digest this stuff through my normal daily life. I would like to be free from it all when I game. Full screen adverts are just another unwanted step on that Xbox journey. I find it repugnant.
They did the same thing with Forza, Starfield and ABK (and the last FH) Did you outrage then, too?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Add it on to the long list of bad things GAF thinks Xbox will probably most likely eventually start maybe probably doing.

Just wait till you start seeing the full screen ads after the Xbox division is shut down next year and they become full third party. CoD full screen ads on your Switch 2 and you must pass a mandatory CoD survey before you can finish setting up a new PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

digdug2

Like a goober, I preordered and downloaded the new COD game on my XSX on Thursday evening. I turned my XSX on today and was greeted by this stupid fucking popup. WTF MS, are you seriously telling me that you don't keep track of the fact the game is downloaded and stored on this device?

I have a strong suspicion that this is just the beginning, and I'm going to end up leaving the Xbox ecosystem sooner than later. I have ad blockers on my PC to avoid unwanted nonsense, and it's too bad I can't also install them on my Xbox to get away from this insidious bullshit.

Last edited:

Duchess

"So what, they're just smalls ads on the dashboard."

"So what, it's just a fullscreen ad that you press B on to close." <----- you are here

"So what, you can just press B to close it after 5 seconds."

"So what, YouTube plays video ads all the time that you can skip."

"So what, it's just a short video that you only see once. A 30 second wait doesn't do any harm."

"Yeah, they're showing the ad each time I turn on my Xbox during launch week of Halo Brand New Cherry Flavour, but they're letting people know the game is available."

"Yeah, there's a lot of ads, but it's keeping the price of Game Pass down."

"Anyone else getting annoyed by all the constant ads?" <--- when the Stockholm Syndrome finally wears off

StereoVsn

Its all fake concern. People been clamoring for Microsoft to market their games more. Soon as they do, people complain about that, too. Can't win for losing.
You are making a dumb straw man argument. If MS put the ad in the dashboard, most folks wouldn’t care.

Putting the ad over the whole UI where you have to actively dismiss it before using the system with the most prominent buttons being to buy it, is scummy as hell.

It’s basically asking for accidental purchases especially from kids. Defending this sort of corporate shenanigans is insane from a normal perspective unless you are getting sweet $$$.

StereoVsn

Issue is that it’s convenient to utilize MS account vs local password especially if you use M365.

You get seamless backups and storage sync, easy recovery and so on. But as a paying customer to both Windows and Microsoft 365 you shouldn’t be subjected to advert bullshit. If MS puts that on there dynamic frame in the apps dashboard it’s one thing, but the ad onto login screen is a whole different issue.

Last edited:

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
"So what, they're just smalls ads on the dashboard."

"So what, it's just a fullscreen ad that you press B on to close." <----- you are here

"So what, you can just press B to close it after 5 seconds."

"So what, YouTube plays video ads all the time that you can skip."

"So what, it's just a short video that you only see once. A 30 second wait doesn't do any harm."

"Yeah, they're showing the ad each time I turn on my Xbox during launch week of Halo Brand New Cherry Flavour, but they're letting people know the game is available."

"Yeah, there's a lot of ads, but it's keeping the price of Game Pass down."

"Anyone else getting annoyed by all the constant ads?" <--- when the Stockholm Syndrome finally wears off

This one is the one guys, this is the conspiracy that will finally probably maybe come true.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
Each time I am firing steam I have got some ads popups, same with many other pc stores, no outrage detected.
The difference lies in when and how the ad shows up. It's expected that you'll see products advertised to you when you actively open a storefront. I've never seen those go full-screen on steam either, but perhaps you have. Anyway, it's not expected when you just booted up your console to play a game. I don't think your examples are comparable at all to this new CoD ad.

King Dazzar

The difference lies in when and how the ad shows up. It's expected that you'll see products advertised to you when you actively open a storefront. I've never seen those go full-screen on steam either, but perhaps you have. Anyway, it's not expected when you just booted up your console to play a game. I don't think your examples are comparable at all to this new CoD ad.
I think another point is. Whenever I start Steam, its set to automatically open on my library tab. I never see ads unless I go to the store front, which is fine.

Gavon West

You are making a dumb straw man argument. If MS put the ad in the dashboard, most folks wouldn’t care.

Putting the ad over the whole UI where you have to actively dismiss it before using the system with the most prominent buttons being to buy it, is scummy as hell.

It’s basically asking for accidental purchases especially from kids. Defending this sort of corporate shenanigans is insane from a normal perspective unless you are getting sweet $$$.
ME??? Making a straw man argument? Lol. That's rich.

I mean, when it literally takes all of about one second to dismiss the ad, never to be seen again?

Some of you guys need to take a chill pill or sumthin. We all know this isn't about the ad. They've put plenty of ads just like this one on the UI before. No one said a word...

BbMajor7th

Gold Member
Though I do think this issue is fairly small potatoes and kind of on-brand for MS, I agree.

I'm starting to think footage could turn up of Phil Spencer kicking a puppy to death and there'd still be an 'ahctually'-brand defence force rolling up their sleeves to run interference.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I've had an Amazon echo device since the very first generation ones (2014). Never had a problem with it. The other day the light came on saying I had a notification. When I asked it to read my notification it tried to sell me stuff and ask me if I wanted to add it to my basket. It angered me so much I actually did want to bin it or sell it. I do not need my bought electronics pestering me in my home to buy stuff thank you.
While I was joking about it earlier, it's because I have given up all hope that these companies would practice any restraint. I look around me and often reflect on how big of a sucker I am, how much shit I own that I don't need, and how much time we invest for our "things" to end up owning us.

Top Bottom