• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Raises Price of 6-month Gold Sub to $59.99 (Up: Policy reversed, prices to stay the same)

Krisprolls

Banned
Jebf3aX.png

Current price = current price at the time you renew, so the new price. Everybody will pay the new price when they auto renew obviously...

Papacheeks

Banned
Maybe they're doing this to allure people to getting the game pass ultimate yearly sub.

So they say live alone is $10/m, $120/y. GP is also $10/m, $120/y. If you're getting them separately, it'll cost you $240/y for both. BUT! If you get GP Ultimate, you "only" pay $15/m, $180/y, for both! There's your discount.

Maybe that's their plan?

If it was, it backfired. Because right now bloomberg and all the xbox youtubers are calling them out.

SkylineRKR

Ultimate is slightly more expensive, I see ultimate is 13 a month. In that case, its a trick to lure more people into Ultimate.

Gold used to be a somewhat decent incentive I think, though I find paying for online ridiculous regardless, it was 60 ish for a year and you did get games with gold. I can understand people who only play CoD etc online not subbing to Ultimate but rather this. They're probably extending with ultimate from now on, if they keep playing on Xbox (which is likely).

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Whoever has some form of online presence, please shit on MS, that's all those motherfuckers are fearing. Bad PR, 'member: flip the switch?

This is like Xbox One of this gen and again MS is on that.

I mean, if they would just cancel Xbox Live Gold and make only GamePass, GamePass Ultimate, there would not be such a backslash.

I gotta admit, I am salty as fuck from this. They really try to one up each other in the company whoever comes with more idiotic decision.

FUCK

SkylineRKR

I wish someone would ask Phil why PC gamers get XBL Gold for free while they rape Console gamers for $120 a year.

Its a stupid practice back when online play on console was seen as a luxury for some reason, despite DLC not being free a lot and no mods, and no dedicated servers. Online play on console wasn't even half as good as it was on PC where I started out.

Playstation 3 said fuck it and charged nothing for online play but fanboys would whine about PSN being shit and this and that. Gold being charged was justified. While on PSN I had a blast playing Warhawk and MW online, but okay.

Sony saw MS made lots of cash with Gold, Sony charged for online play on PS4. its a shitty practice initiated by MS.

Genx3

What exactly is the rationale to the price increase? This is a huge increase for something that was overpriced to begin with.
Probably trying to make up all those $1 deals for converting XLG to GPU.
The thing is this is definitely the wrong way to go about it.
They should have only made that $1 conversion for a limited time. Now they want to raise the price of Gold to make up for it which is just a bad judgement on MS's part imo.
As long as you already want Game Pass it likely won't affect you but for people that are not interested in GP $120 is way too much for just Gold.

S0ULZB0URNE

I mean, if they would just cancel Xbox Live Gold and make only GamePass, GamePass Ultimate, there would not be such a backslash.

I gotta admit, I am salty as fuck from this. They really try to one up each other in the company whoever comes with more idiotic decision.

FUCK
ONLY if it stays the same $60 a year price.

NickFire

Please explain how an increased gold price somehow diminishes game passes value.
You are clueless.
I agree that doubling the price of Gold does not make Gamepass a worse value right now on paper. But calling someone clueless for saying the opposite is exceptionally shortsighted and absurd IMO. Gold is just a paywall for online and there is nothing to suggest this was doubled in price because of increased costs for allowing multiplayer. On the contrary, MS has been investing tremendous money in gamepass, and people were already questioning whether MS could really be turning a profit before the recent spending spree. It is entirely reasonable to expect that the Gold price hike is a a preview of the type of price hikes that a consumer can expect gamepass will receive in the months / years to come. Even if they are literally trying to make Gold seem a poor choice over gamepass, a price hike to this extreme for no reason beyond "we can", does not lead to a fair assumption that gamepass will remain the value proposition everyone thought it was a week ago.

How much are they charging you cause I pay $95 for a Gigabit.
I supposedly have a grace period until march and if they start charging me more I plan on calling and going off on them as I am in a 3 year deal and none of this was said when I signed up.

I have cable wrapped into mine because much like Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese I’m a Nats fan and you can’t watch MASN without it. I did the stupid triple play plan even though I don’t need a house phone because somehow it’s cheaper than the double play lol. My bill is $225 a month.

Genx3

PC players would never support such a service is why.
That's because on PC you can use a competitor's service while on console you're in the walled garden.
Even still treating console gamers like shit while you kiss the rear of PC gamers is not right.
Just eliminate the $1 conversion and be done with it. No need to over charge for Gold. Or remove the free games from Gold and give it away free.

Three points...
  • This should put an end to the idea that Xbox can tap into the near limitless reservoirs of Microsoft money. They have to earn a good profit just like the rest of the company
  • Be wary of subscriptions. They lock you in and you are at the mercy of future price increases (looking at you Game Pass)
  • This price hike was to wring out as much money as possible from the large group of Xbox players who only play 1 or 2 online games like Call of Duty, Fortnite, or Madden, and have no interest in Game Pass

M1chl

ONLY if it stays the same $60 a year price.
How much is GP classic? 120 right? I don't know but at least you can have some value proposition, with gold it's litteraly nothing. I am also not saying it would be backslash free, but not this. Since you have cloud saves already included, I don't think there is any added benefit. Outside of actually paying for Online.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You are the clueless one. It’s not about GP value being diminished, it’s about the revenue for GP not being as awesome for MS as you were lied to therefore making MS raise up the price of everything else. Remember when people brought up concerns about how MS could afford to put all their AAA games on GamePass and Phil told us not to worry because MS had infinite money? Yea, Phil lied to y’all. They knew they were going to massively increase XBL fees in time and now that they are going to be getting everyone on GP they eventually raise the price on that too, and apologists like you will make excuses for them.

Sounds to me like you don't even understand the price hike, it doesn't affect anyone who is already subscribed. Gp is doing just fine - this is just a nudge to new subscribers.
So bla bla bla cry cry cry........see what you say when ps plus goes up too.

Dabaus

Banned
Downplaying your trillion dollar company doubling prices, cheering on publishers being bought out wholesale and begging for more, pretending your 60 metacritic game is something to brag about, constantly moving the goal posts of what success is. Whatever the medium be it movies games, cards etc., xbox fandom is the worst fandom to ever arise. Its a collective of people hoping a trillion dollar company kill a beloved industry so their rental service has one more dud to not even play, but to post on a message board about "content."

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you don't even understand the price hike, it doesn't affect anyone who is already subscribed. Gp is doing just fine - this is just a nudge to new subscribers.
So bla bla bla cry cry cry........see what you say when ps plus goes up too.
People like you are why MS get away with this kind of bullshit. What do you think is going to stop them from increasing the price of GP too once everyone switches to that’s service for the “value”? I’m willing to bet top dollar that GP price will increase too just like every other subscription service in existence and you will be here again defending them and making new excuses for corporate greed. Stop being an apologist and start being a sensible gamer.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
While I think the price hike is mad for people who don’t want gamepass it’s kinda funny this thread is full of the usual Sony fans talking about cost of Xbox live and then in other threads say they only want single player games off Sony.

this place can be a bit odd at times

Last edited:

MistBreeze

Ultimate is slightly more expensive, I see ultimate is 13 a month. In that case, its a trick to lure more people into Ultimate.

Gold used to be a somewhat decent incentive I think, though I find paying for online ridiculous regardless, it was 60 ish for a year and you did get games with gold. I can understand people who only play CoD etc online not subbing to Ultimate but rather this. They're probably extending with ultimate from now on, if they keep playing on Xbox (which is likely).

no my friend ultimate is not slightly more expensive

it is 3 times more expensive than gold

gold is 60 dollar a year which is equate to 5 dollars a month

ultimate is 180 dollar a year which is 15 dollar a month

You have to agree though that this is an artificial way of moving people to GPU though. Handicapping one service to simply make the other seem better in comparison is usually a very poor way of trying to get people to where you want them to be. GPU should have enough value proposition of its own merit to draw people over, XBL Gold shouldn't need to suffer for that in terms of a price increase.
It is one of the ways to make faster transition to GPU.A lot of people use XBL and do not want to transition because "want use 1$ trick", "ideology" etc.
MS wants to retire XBL Gold and it does it fast. Simple as that.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

How much is GP classic? 120 right? I don't know but at least you can have some value proposition, with gold it's litteraly nothing. I am also not saying it would be backslash free, but not this. Since you have cloud saves already included, I don't think there is any added benefit. Outside of actually paying for Online.
I find $60 for 12 months to high to just play online to much already but I pay it.
I like but don't need free games. If they want to remove the free games but keep it $60 I am fine with that and I don't want GP or PSNOW in anyway.

Loope

Downplaying your trillion dollar company doubling prices, cheering on publishers being bought out wholesale and begging for more, pretending your 60 metacritic game is something to brag about, constantly moving the goal posts of what success is. Whatever the medium be it movies games, cards etc., xbox fandom is the worst fandom to ever arise. Its a collective of people hoping a trillion dollar company kill a beloved industry so their rental service has one more dud to not even play, but to post on a message board about "content."
Nah.The worst is still Sony.

M1chl

I find $60 for 12 months to high to just play online to much already but I pay it.
I like but don't need free games. If they want to remove the free games but keep it $60 I am fine with that and I don't want GP or PSNOW in anyway.
Absolutely, free games are already trash.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
People like you are why MS get away with this kind of bullshit. What do you think is going to stop them from increasing the price of GP too once everyone switches to that’s service for the “value”? I’m willing to bet top dollar that GP price will increase too just like every other subscription service in existence and you will be here again defending them and making new excuses for corporate greed. Stop being an apologist and start being a sensible gamer.

The market drives pricing, not me. People will either pay this or they will not. I personally don't need to worry for years as I have planned ahead, I have 5 yrs of game pass ultimate prepaid. Everything goes up.....

You should have seen the crying and whining on disney boards when they raised the park gate prices substantially, the end result ? Disney posted record profits......people kept coming, they read the market correctly at that time.

I personally think they went too far with this price hike, and it may hurt them. But maybe thier plan is to convince as many new and existing subscribers to gamepass, and once they hit a certain number, they may make live gold free. (Without the free games)

Genx3

Three points...
  • This should put an end to the idea that Xbox can tap into the near limitless reservoirs of Microsoft money. They have to earn a good profit just like the rest of the company
  • Be wary of subscriptions. They lock you in and you are at the mercy of future price increases (looking at you Game Pass)
  • This price hike was to wring out as much money as possible from the large group of Xbox players who only play 1 or 2 online games like Call of Duty, Fortnite, or Madden, and have no interest in Game Pass
Subscriptions don't lock you into anything.
The minute it is not worth subscribing you stop paying...

They should have made it free online with gamepass and give extra perks to ultimate users,they would have a much better chance of beating ps but no, greedy fucks want more money.
They need to stop confusing everyone, with silly names, 5 different consoles, 3 different subscriptions. Simple is the best.

Last edited:
Jesus, why are you so dramatic?

None of us as individuals has any agency over what a trillion dollar company does. If Microsoft wants to turn gaming into a hellscape, they will find the means to do so with or without your approval.

As far as I am concerned, I will enjoy Game Pass for the forseeable future and if it turns to shit, so be it. Even if they somehow destroy the gaming industry, I'm sure you'll find other ways to waste your time. Like making dumb comments on message boards.

Genx3

They should made it free online with gamepass and give extra perks ultimate users,they would have a much better chance of beating ps but no, greedy fucks want more money.
They need to stop confusing everyone, with silly names, 5 different consoles, 3 different subscriptions. Simple is the best.
They are not greedy they just happen to be charging the wrong customer.
Game Pass cost a lot to run. That is where the money should be coming from not XBL Gold.

SNPlayen

While I think the price hike is mad for people who don’t want gamepass it’s kinda funny this thread is full of the usual Sony fans talking about cost of Xbox live and then in other threads say they only want single player games off Sony.

this place can be a bit odd at times
I mostly play single player games and have PS plus. I get it on sale and pay $40 a year. I play a lot of the free games and take advantage of the discounts. Not counting the cost of plus (well and cost of PS5), since August last year I have spent a total of $4 on games. Yes I am the ultimate tightass, but at the same time I have so many games to play and not enough time to play them all

This is an a ugly move. Hopefully it’s reversed quickly
Oh they will. Once they got the projected # of people they want to convert from gold to GPU, they will quietly retire Gold alltogether and replace it with GPU.

This is typical MS strongarming tactics.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a cult.

I have experienced first hand the wrath of Sony gaf and Nintendo era, but the xbox fanbase is like a cult. They worship Phil and hopefully now they wake up and see he's just another business man like Jim Lyin.

devilNprada

All this time people have been trying to compare gamepass to netflix...

In reality the better comparison is going to be Cable TV...

And without paying it's outrageous price you won't be able to play the "free" games you got with GP or play online.
No shit... Now it cost twice as much to play you're previously rented games

Then stop paying, it's a free market. There are alternatives.
You completely missed it.....

Genx3

AND PLAYING
You can still buy games the way you could since gaming started.
Now if you don't actually buy games then that is a whole different thing.
Nothing is free in life so either subscribe to play the games or pay retail price for your games.

Top Bottom