• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sales Have Collapsed in Europe

LakeOf9

According to fresh data reported by GI.biz, Sony’s PlayStation 5 is “comfortably” number one in Europe, with sales up an incredible 143% over October last year. The near seven-year-old Nintendo Switch is second despite a 20% drop in sales year-on-year. But the Xbox Series X and S have seen a whopping 52% drop in sales.

Even month-on-month comparisons are tough for Xbox. PS5 sales are up 11% in October compared to September, Switch sales are up 10%, and Xbox sales are down just under 20%. GI.biz noted that Xbox’s big exclusive Starfield launched in September, whereas PlayStation had Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and Nintendo had Super Mario Bros. Wonder in October. Both games broke sales records.

Xbox Series X and S appear to have hit a wall just three years into their life, which is obviously a big problem for Phil Spencer and his Xbox leadership team. But what can be done? After Microsoft’s incredibly $69 billion acquisition of Call of Duty maker Activision Blizzard, it seems likely Game Pass in particular will become an even more compelling subscription service. But it will take some time for the behemoth publisher to integrate itself into the Microsoft machine, and executives have indicated games such as Blizzard’s Diablo 4 and Activision’s Modern Warfare 3 won’t hit Game Pass until some point in 2024 at the earliest.

Xbox desperately needs momentum in order to stop the rot. With Activision Blizzard in tow, Microsoft’s gaming ambitions are significantly stronger. But it may not be until 2028, when Microsoft is reportedly set to launch its next-generation console, before Xbox makes its console comeback.

SOURCE

mansoor1980

Gold Member
xbox-phil-spencer.gif

Has Xbox ever really had a presence in Europe? This doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. Europe has always been PC/PS IIRC.

They also just don’t really have a compelling product. I’ve owned every Xbox they’ve ever made outside of the 3rd 360 revision (including both S and X) and the Series consoles are easily the worst from a value standpoint IMO. This is partially because of their same day releases on PC. There isn’t really a point in owning a Xbox if you have a PC that can play modern games outside of a few BC titles.

Why only focusing in Europe? Asia is basically non-existent. It's decreasing like hell in the USA as well.

Also
Xbox desperately needs momentum in order to stop the rot. With Activision Blizzard in tow, Microsoft’s gaming ambitions are significantly stronger. But it may not be until 2028, when Microsoft is reportedly set to launch its next-generation console, before Xbox makes its console comeback.
We hear this every damn generation. And yeah...5 more years waiting for the next Xbox will be...something considering how it's selling 3 years in.

By then you'll see plenty of 3rd party publishers, specially asian ones dropping the console. Xbox can pay all they want but can they sustain 5 years of payola for multiplatform games to release on their platform like that? By 2028 PS5 will be at way above 100M. Xbox will be lucky to even be at 40 or 50M judging how sales are stalling.

It's worse in Asia but we don't see articles?
The Series consoles are probably doing better then any Xbox console prior.

Xbox has never really had any sort of presence in Japan despite the 360 having some exclusive bangers.

So you don’t hear about it because the difference between 500 a week and 250 isn’t important enough to bother with.

LakeOf9

Has Xbox ever really had a presence in Europe? This doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. Europe has always been PC/PS IIRC.

They also just don’t really have a compelling product. I’ve owned every Xbox they’ve ever made outside of the 3rd 360 revision (including both S and X) and the Series consoles are easily the worst from a value standpoint IMO. This is partially because of their same day releases on PC. There isn’t really a point in owning a Xbox if you have a PC that can play modern games outside of a few BC titles.
Xbox 360 did very well in Europe.
Europe however has always heavily favoured PS/Nintendo for consoles (Sega back in the day too). Outside of the 360 Xbox never caught on in EU.

DaGwaphics

They just have to keep trucking along. PS5 clearly has the mind share and market dominance. At this point, for this generation, MS will have to settle for being a secondary option in a lot of households. At this point they have not released enough software outside of Halo, Gears, and Forza to stick that just yet. Starfield alone might not be enough to get a PS5 owner to pickup a Xbox, but as they start to add to that and all the other studios start to release more console exclusive software it will be Starfield, Plus Indiana Jones, plus all the other games coming etc. things will look better. Maybe those Sony users start to realize the value proposition offered by Xbox/GP and make a different choice next time around.

radewagon

It's almost as though exclusive content is a big part of the console business model. Since gamers can play multiplats on more than one console (or PC), ignoring the release of a robust set of exclusive titles is profoundly dumb.

They have failed to create a scenario where the Series console is needed. It's no surprise sales are dropping.

All that money and the best they could think to do with it was rob the competition of multiplats by buying up third party studios. Such a shame. Where's Gears 6?

Xbox sales in October are down 20% from September. Starfield was released in September so its likely that they had an unusually good month then. I dont think its odd to be down after a spike?

What if I told you Xbox was down 35 percent in September...

The reality is that people in Europe were buying XBS in 2022 because they couldn't get a PS5. Once PS5s became readily available the XBS cratered in sales.

They've absolutely destroyed their brand with day 1 pc and day 1 gamepass.

I love how everyone can see the issue and yet we still read things like "hardware sales don't matter, record revenue (yet hidden profits??) is what's up".

It's absurd isn't it. Profits can't be great. The Xbox Series had the largest console subsidy from Microsoft of any console. The division would have been eating that loss.

Chastten

Banned

In the Netherlands, the original Xbox did somewhat okay, and the Xbox 360 put up a really good fight during the first half of that generation.

That momentum collapsed when they started focusing on the casual Wii crowd with Kinect, and then they completely lost us when they labeled us a Tier 2 country with the Xbox One launch. Now Xbox is pretty much gone from store shelves here, except specialized gamestores.

Europe is very varied though. Nintendo has always had a strong presence in France and Germany, with Germany also being very friendly to PC. Scandinavia has always been PlayStation first and foremost, etc etc. Each country/region has their own prefences.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Of course. There is little reason to own xbox especially now that (I am not happy about it), playstation got their sub service.
And I would even argue PS+ got better games.

On top of the the usual - better selection of games, dualsense, psvr2 and so on. All add up

I love how everyone can see the issue and yet we still read things like "hardware sales don't matter, record revenue (yet hidden profits??) is what's up".

Anyone who talks to you about revenue but doesn't talk about profit/operating income and operating costs is lying to you.
It's absurd isn't it. Profits can't be great. The Xbox Series had the largest console subsidy from Microsoft of any console. The division would have been eating that loss.
Microsoft is cautious not to wave the white flag too early like they did on mobile, but something is going to give here.

tommib

I almost feel sorry for selling my S and would buy a new one to play hi-fi rush natively instead of using xcloud. Almost.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
the Series consoles are easily the worst from a value standpoint IMO.
ehhhh....
ehhhhhhhhhh....
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I understand where you're coming from but I just find it hard to agree. Even if I'm not a big fan of Xbox now with that whole big leak they had a while back I feel like for 500 dollars the Series X (if you're getting with the knowledge there will be no exclusives) is a deal, considering it reguarly goes on sale for lower than that. It can play a large library of Xbox games through backwards compat, and it can play even more games through emulation. There still isn't an equivalent PC you can build for the price of a discounted Xbox (we are getting there with discounted AMD GPUs, but still no cigar)

If you have a computer already it's virtually useless however.

Banjo64

cumsessed
ehhhh....
ehhhhhhhhhh....
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I understand where you're coming from but I just find it hard to agree. Even if I'm not a big fan of Xbox now with that whole big leak they had a while back I feel like for 500 dollars the Series X (if you're getting with the knowledge there will be no exclusives) is a deal, considering it reguarly goes on sale for lower than that. It can play a large library of Xbox games through backwards compat, and it can play even more games through emulation. There still isn't an equivalent PC you can build for the price of a discounted Xbox (we are getting there with discounted AMD GPUs, but still no cigar)

If you have a computer already it's virtually useless however.
It’s not comparable to a PC because you have to pay £50 a year to play online.

I’d say a Deck Oled shits all over a Series console.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’d say a Deck Oled shits all over a Series console.
it's more expensive however. even the default 512gb option is 50 bucks more than a Series X. It's also less powerful, which doesn't sound like a big deal at first until you attempt to output it to a TV and realize that playing at 1080p or higher is a challenge with the limited hardware.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
it's more expensive however. even the default 512gb option is 50 bucks more than a Series X.
Didn’t realise that. Same price in the UK, £479 a piece.

It's also less powerful, which doesn't sound like a big deal at first until you attempt to output it to a TV and realize that playing at 1080p or higher is a challenge with the limited hardware.
Personal preference but for me the portability just means I don’t have to buy a monitor and the lack of yearly subscriptions on top makes it even sweeter.

Top Bottom