• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X and S Sales Have Collapsed in Europe

I share a lot of John's sentiments but it's hard to argue against Sony's success which is exactly what it seems this video is trying to do, intentional or not. The blockbuster strategy isn't exactly new for them either.

That's the thing and the strategy that Sony had with the PS5 is essentially the same as they had with the PS4. So for John to say that it is nothing special is pretty laughable.

Even if all you did as a company was not make serious mistakes, that's something special. None of this is automatic and everything has to be earned. Whether it be games, peripherals, expanded access to markets e.t.c. To say it isn't special is pretty amateur of him.

I read this great article about how Sony 1P games are localized in so many different languages including voice acting. Horizon Forbidden West has 10 different spoken languages and 24 subtitled languages. Starfield has 5 spoken languages and 9 subtitled languages. Ignoring details like that and saying they aren't doing anything special while lamenting the lack of niche Japanese games shows how out of touch he is.

In three years Sony has put out Gran Turismo, MLB The Show (annually), Returnal, Last of Us Remake, Demon's Souls remake, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Spider-Man 2, and ports/directs cuts for Uncharted 4, Death Stranding, and Ghost of Tsushima. They've hit just about every major active franchise they make.

They put out a VR follow-up, a pro controller, an accessibility controller, new headsets, and a remote play controller...

All while trying to make a push for more live service-oriented games. Which I'm not a fan of, but it makes business sense.

They've also for really the first time in their existence really leaned into transmedia.

As long as Xbox is the name of the company and of the consoles that Microsoft makes, I hope that nobody can really forget how important their hardware is in gaming. But you can get back from a bad console. Can they do it? We will have to see.

It is and we talked about it a lot since 2022. Microsoft just finalised a 70 billion dollar acquisition. The Series S/X is failing, but not as fast/hard as the Wii U did. As long as they don't nuke their brand in the meantime, we will have a next gen console from them, and time for them to hopefully fix their studios, old and new, to make us games worth playing. This is not a defense of Xbox position, just facts. I honestly can't imagine their position when the PS5 Pro and Switch 2 will arrive, and they will have to continue with a duo of console that will be at best out of position, at worse completely inadequate for the market from the end of 2024 and beyond. Each month will be the occasion to talk about it, because they have a better vision and better data about the market than we do, so we will see moves from Xbox to react if it continue to get worse in the next few months. As for them crashing down, I am curious how Gamepass can save them or precipitate the fall, hypothetically speaking. Can having 20 millions consumers make Xbox big enough to survive until they find a new strategy(whatever that would be?) or will people just abandon the service if enough bad months follow in a row?

Great post. We're talking about it here, but the media isn't sufficiently talking about it. There is a huge question as to the sustainability of Microsoft's approach and the average gamer doesn't even understand the conversation because the media won't discuss it.

I think a lot of people are going to be blindsided by the future of Xbox, though everything was laid out well in advance.

I think the difference between the XBS and the Wii U though is Nintendo was able to quickly pivot off the Wii U. It was really only out for 4 years and because it didn't have direct competition, it was really only competing with itself.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I share a lot of John's sentiments but it's hard to argue against Sony's success which is exactly what it seems this video is trying to do, intentional or not. The blockbuster strategy isn't exactly new for them either.

But Sony's strategy is more than just "blockbuster games". I think that's what's so crazy about this DF video. They literally cover this stuff every week, yet they seem to know nothing about it. The problem with DF is they seem to misunderstand the importance of giving gamers some of the things they want, but not at the expense of killing the brand. Point being......

1. VR: Sony jumped into this economy on the PS4 early in the lifespan of today's version of VR. Technically speaking.....they didn't have the hardware from the console to really push VR like that, but they did it to add a pillar to their ecosystem. Now we have PSVR2. One could argue that they haven't done enough with it yet, but it's innovational thinking like this that helps gamers to stay with Playstation. Being able to play GT7, RE8 and RE4-Remake completely in VR is AMAZING! Microsoft disagrees.

2. DualSense controller: For some reason people on the internet never understood Jim Ryan's "generations matter" statement. But the clearest example of that is how Sony and Microsoft chose to head into this latest generation. One decided to completely change the controller (make not allow the old controller), whereas the other decided to make literally NO changes. Even MS is letting the world know they screwed up there. Stuff like this matters!

3. PS Portal: While DF seems to hate the Portal and can't understand why it exists, it's sold out in all Western countries. Many gamers have gave their reasons why they like or love it. But DF has had multiple videos seeming to dislike it. They can't wrap their minds around why a Playstation only gamer would like it.

4. Games: Why undermine why having great games matter? It's literally the meat and potatoes to a console.

5. PS5 Pro: Another thing they seem to dislike from Sony. You and I ALL KNOW FOR A FACT that if the PS5 Pro is what we think it'll be, it'll be a huge hit next Christmas. So, why can't DF seem to get their minds wrap around the fact that a PRO console is wanted by literally millions of people?

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Do you understand how STUPID the bolded sentence is, when you read it back? Like..........it's like telling a futbol team "they don't do anything groundbreaking outside of scoring 5 times a match and winning 80% or more of their games."
That was literally John's point. They don't have to have a Day One subscription service or buy up half the industry to be dominant. They just have to stick to their guns and release solid games consistently.

But Sony's strategy is more than just "blockbuster games". I think that's what's so crazy about this DF video. They literally cover this stuff every week, yet they seem to know nothing about it. The problem with DF is they seem to misunderstand the importance of giving gamers some of the things they want, but not at the expense of killing the brand. Point being......

1. VR: Sony jumped into this economy on the PS4 early in the lifespan of today's version of VR. Technically speaking.....they didn't have the hardware from the console to really push VR like that, but they did it to add a pillar to their ecosystem. Now we have PSVR2. One could argue that they haven't done enough with it yet, but it's innovational thinking like this that helps gamers to stay with Playstation. Being able to play GT7, RE8 and RE4-Remake completely in VR is AMAZING! Microsoft disagrees.

2. DualSense controller: For some reason people on the internet never understood Jim Ryan's "generations matter" statement. But the clearest example of that is how Sony and Microsoft chose to head into this latest generation. One decided to completely change the controller (make not allow the old controller), whereas the other decided to make literally NO changes. Even MS is letting the world know they screwed up there. Stuff like this matters!

3. PS Portal: While DF seems to hate the Portal and can't understand why it exists, it's sold out in all Western countries. Many gamers have gave their reasons why they like or love it. But DF has had multiple videos seeming to dislike it. They can't wrap their minds around why a Playstation only gamer would like it.

4. Games: Why undermine why having great games matter? It's literally the meat and potatoes to a console.

5. PS5 Pro: Another thing they seem to dislike from Sony. You and I ALL KNOW FOR A FACT that if the PS5 Pro is what we think it'll be, it'll be a huge hit next Christmas. So, why can't DF seem to get their minds wrap around the fact that a PRO console is wanted by literally millions of people?

Let's expand on that. They realize that Sony is remastering TLOU2 for PC, but they're angry that they didn't announce a release date, but they don't stop to think that maybe Sony wants to time the release of this for when the second season comes out and to give the PC port more time and announcing a date and having to delay it after the first ports issues wouldn't be a great look.

They seem to ignore all context. They also don't understand why this isn't just a port, but obviously, Sony doesn't want to spend the money on a port only to sell it for 40 bucks on PC and for people to think the game is dated (it's already more than 3 years old).

They bring up Horizon Zero Dawn, and what they just don't get is that Sony isn't really trying to sell these games to people who already bought them. They're trying to reach a market with the help of transmedia of people who never played the games, and it's easier to do that with the games being relatively on par with current games.

If Horizon's TV show is a hit and the remake is well done, it'll probably sell significantly better and at a higher price than the existing port would have.

So when something that is pretty obvious and clear goes so completely over their head, it's pretty obvious why that is happening.

And to answer your questions, DF realizes that the PS5 Pro, by itself, largely defeats the purpose of their videos, which is to fan console wars. When the performance is just better on PS5 Pro, who will care?

bender

What time is it?
For their pillar studios, yes. They are not expecting Bluepoint, Housemarque, Asobi, etc,, to match Naughty Dog or the like. They are pretty well rounded and consistent, which is a testament to their success.

We don't know about Bluepoint yet, but we've already seen a change in Housemarque's usual scope.

NeroDaGod

The fact that they don’t understand this, is one of the reasons why Xbox will continue to fail to gain market share. Having all these yes men around them doesn’t help either because they blame everything but Microsoft and provide absolutely zero constructive feedback on their shortcomings. Ultimately, reviews of this nature only end up being detrimental to them.

They don't understand Playstation's appeal because they purposefully don't want to. Never has and never will because they are here to sell Xbox brand from the very start of X360 / PS3 gen. They are MS's propagandists and everything they do become easy to grasp once we understand this. I am now tired of mincing words about them so I won't do it anymore.

For 2023, in the UK alone, the PS5 has almost 2X the number of sales of Nintendo Switch + Xbox Series Consoles.

Some claim that Germany and/or France are bigger markets than UK regarding Sony consoles.

whilst Europe as a whole might not be Big for MS, the 360 sold close to 10m units in UK, whereas the Xbox Series consoles are down 23% YoY in the same region.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do you understand how STUPID the bolded sentence is, when you read it back? Like..........it's like telling a futbol team "they don't do anything groundbreaking outside of scoring 5 times a match and winning 80% or more of their games."

Bro, chill out.

Playstation. In my opinion has won the league by basically drawing nearly every game this generation abd winning on penalties from a piss poor foul by xbox. While xbox has lost every game and Nintendo wins every game.

I love my playstations, its a Great console. I have two of them. But what they have delivered on games wise, I consider safe and nothing genuinely groundbreaking this generation.

God of war ragnarok and horizon cross platform games with a great spider man 2 game is no where near the industry groundbreaking games like last of us that we have known from them in the past.

They've been consistently good but are you saying they are performing A star top of their game this generation? I don't think so personally but each to their own.

If you feel differently that's fine but no need to attack someone for having a different, arguably completely valid opinion. Hence why John made the comment he did.

NonPhixion

52% > 23% That is a considerable difference in the largest market in Europe.

Are you trolling, or....
They are down 52% collectively in some European countries. They are down 23% in the UK. There is no considerable difference when they are both alike in the fact they are DOWN. I am not sure you understand what a considerable difference is.

I know you’re not trolling so you must be the “or…” you were implying.

Last edited:
Let's expand on that. They realize that Sony is remastering TLOU2 for PC, but they're angry that they didn't announce a release date, but they don't stop to think that maybe Sony wants to time the release of this for when the second season comes out and to give the PC port more time and announcing a date and having to delay it after the first ports issues wouldn't be a great look.

They seem to ignore all context. They also don't understand why this isn't just a port, but obviously, Sony doesn't want to spend the money on a port only to sell it for 40 bucks on PC and for people to think the game is dated (it's already more than 3 years old).

They bring up Horizon Zero Dawn, and what they just don't get is that Sony isn't really trying to sell these games to people who already bought them. They're trying to reach a market with the help of transmedia of people who never played the games, and it's easier to do that with the games being relatively on par with current games.

If Horizon's TV show is a hit and the remake is well done, it'll probably sell significantly better and at a higher price than the existing port would have.

So when something that is pretty obvious and clear goes so completely over their head, it's pretty obvious why that is happening.

And to answer your questions, DF realizes that the PS5 Pro, by itself, largely defeats the purpose of their videos, which is to fan console wars. When the performance is just better on PS5 Pro, who will care?

Expanding on this a bit further, they go into some twisted rant about how this game should be called a director's cut instead of a remaster. Ignoring that MOST director's cut games release on the same system like Ghost of Tsushima. I'll give them that Death Stranding's director's cut was different, but even Kojima said it shouldn't have been a director's cut.

The fact that they would go on about the naming of this as if it somehow changes the game, is absolutely telling of how much they'll nitpick Sony while giving Microsoft every pass.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Are you trying to tell me that one of the cheapest barriers to entry for "the greatest deal in gaming" is buying a Series S console, and that getting "the best deal in gaming" isn't enough to lure people into the Xbox ecosystem??? I'd have thought by now that they'd have billions of people spending 10-15 dollars a month to have easily "the best deal in gaming" on the cheapest console on the market! Sheer lunacy I say form the billions who aren't nabbing this amazing deal!.

You mean the series s, that gets panned everyday on this forum... lol

Gamepass is the best deal in gaming though. I think that's pretty much a fact at this point.

GHG

Gamepass is the best deal in gaming though. I think that's pretty much a fact at this point.

The only way it's a "fact" is if you're looking at it from a marketing/pr perspective.

From a consumer perspective the best deal is always the one that gets you the games that you actually want to play.

And there-in lies the disconnect between the execultives/marketeers/brand ambassadors and the general consumer. There is collective confusion amongst the aforementioned group of people when there really not need be.

Last edited:

MacReady13

You mean the series s, that gets panned everyday on this forum... lol

Doesn't matter what we think in here. And no- game pass isn't the best deal in gaming in my opinion. Not owning games and paying a fee to rent games isn't a great deal to me and, by the sounds of things, close to a billion others agree!

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Doesn't matter what we think in here. And no- game pass isn't the best deal in gaming in my opinion. Not owning games and paying a fee to rent games isn't a great deal to me and, by the sounds of things, close to a billion others agree!
You do know this applies to any digital storefront right, Where did your "close to a billion others agree" come from?

coffinbirth

They are down 52% collectively in some European countries. They are down 23% in the UK. There is no considerable difference when they are both alike in the fact they are DOWN. I am not sure you understand what a considerable difference is.

I know you’re not trolling so you must be the “or…” you were implying.
You are now arguing semantics.
giphy.gif

demigod

And like all legacy mainstream medias without subsidizing from the big corporations (sponsored videos and such...) they would die because of more fair competition from NXGamer, VGTech and others which are not paid for.

No one will ever convince me that Digital Foundry (formerly Lens of Truth) and their parent company Eurogamer aren't subsidized by MS.
Lens of Truth was not DF, they were a competitor and not biased like df. They died because they didn’t have a backing like df.

MacReady13

You do know this applies to any digital storefront right, Where did your "close to a billion others agree" come from?
Don't Microsoft believe there are a billion untapped gamers that they can reach with game pass somehow?

Last edited:
Bro, chill out.

Playstation. In my opinion has won the league by basically drawing nearly every game this generation abd winning on penalties from a piss poor foul by xbox. While xbox has lost every game and Nintendo wins every game.

I love my playstations, its a Great console. I have two of them. But what they have delivered on games wise, I consider safe and nothing genuinely groundbreaking this generation.

God of war ragnarok and horizon cross platform games with a great spider man 2 game is no where near the industry groundbreaking games like last of us that we have known from them in the past.

They've been consistently good but are you saying they are performing A star top of their game this generation? I don't think so personally but each to their own.

If you feel differently that's fine but no need to attack someone for having a different, arguably completely valid opinion. Hence why John made the comment he did.
Even if one agreed with that it's not as if Microsoft is setting the world on fire with their exclusive games.

Anyways there's going to be a shit ton of commercials with PS5 and GTA and giant billboard's everywhere so expect things to get even worse.

StereoVsn

The team has been struggling this year and underperformed in 20% of their games. The coaches and the management haven’t done anything special to counter the 20% losses so it’s a bit disappointing .

They are still a solid performer but the trend is worrying!

😂😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
The team has been struggling this year and underperformed in 20% of their games. The coaches and the management haven’t done anything special to counter the 20% losses so it’s a bit disappointing .

They are still a solid performer but the trend is worrying!

😂😂😂😂😂
The team put 5-0 against Brazil in the first half of the match. But they only put 2 goals and took one in the second half. I am unhappy about that.
Any similarity with real life events is a coincidence 😂.

Oh emm geee, I wonder what it could be?

I know why, and it's a massive reason why I stopped watching DF altogether...outside of maybe the DF Retro content.

If a certain other company formally announced their own Pro system, they'd be singing about how great mid-gen upgrades are.

Done with DF.

Something tells me this was staged because absolutely no one tried intervening, but someone was conveniently recording for a Tiktok.

That said, still massively pathetic & embarrassing. Xbox has to do better.

onQ123

I know why, and it's a massive reason why I stopped watching DF altogether...outside of maybe the DF Retro content.

If a certain other company formally announced their own Pro system, they'd be singing about how great mid-gen upgrades are.

Done with DF.

Something tells me this was staged because absolutely no one tried intervening, but someone was conveniently recording for a Tiktok.

Not staged the employees can't really do anything in these situations & honestly they are doing the right thing by not trying to stop them because they are just workers & it's not worth getting hurt over . It's covered by insurance & they have them on camera.

Try this in a mom & pop spot you're getting shot though .

Synastry

Neo Member

Done with DF.

Its not stage theft has become a big problem for stores in the usa.

laynelane

Not staged the employees can't really do anything in these situations & honestly they are doing the right thing by not trying to stop them because they are just workers & it's not worth getting hurt over . It's covered by insurance & they have them on camera.

That's a good point. I worked in a grocery store and an employee was punched in the face when he tried to stop a thief. After that, we were told to not intervene in those situations.

mckmas8808

Bro, chill out.

The bolded sentence is NUTS. Sorry man. That's just insane to say or even think imo. You're giving equal amounts of credit for Playstation's success to Microsoft's failings. It's a head-scratcher. Especially when people said the same thing during the PS4\Xbox One generation. At some point, it's just okay to say Sony knows how to run a video game company without the disclaimers.

And I'm not attacking them, I'm criticizing his opinion. It's based on nonsense. Most people don't seem to do this to Nintendo when it's obvious that their ideas work and are good. But when Sony has good ideas and good business strategies, some people just can't find themselves to credit them like they do Nintendo.

I don't know how long it's going to take for the average Western video game media talking head to admit that GamePass is a great idea, but Microsoft is implementing it wrong. The only person I've seen challenge the idea or implementation of GamePass is Colin Moriarty.

demigod

Done with DF.

That's a good point. I worked in a grocery store and an employee was punched in the face when he tried to stop a thief. After that, we were told to not intervene in those situations.
Lawsuits.

mckmas8808

Inflation has made people insane here in America man. I still don't understand why employees don't quickly call the cops FAST! Building Security can't do but so much, but call the cops man. And do it FAST! I hate seeing stuff like this.

onQ123

I still be seeing local grocery store workers posting on social networks about stopping thieves & even chasing them down after they make it out of the store for food that they can't even restock because they left the store with it

These stores need to start hiring police officers as security, then. Businesses are just gonna pull out of those communities and then the thieves won't have anything to steal.

I'd say that's for the best but the law-abiding people also suffer so it sucks for them.

The bolded sentence is NUTS. Sorry man. That's just insane to say or even think imo. You're giving equal amounts of credit for Playstation's success to Microsoft's failings. It's a head-scratcher. Especially when people said the same thing during the PS4\Xbox One generation. At some point, it's just okay to say Sony knows how to run a video game company without the disclaimers.

And I'm not attacking them, I'm criticizing his opinion. It's based on nonsense. Most people don't seem to do this to Nintendo when it's obvious that their ideas work and are good. But when Sony has good ideas and good business strategies, some people just can't find themselves to credit them like they do Nintendo.

I don't know how long it's going to take for the average Western video game media talking head to admit that GamePass is a great idea, but Microsoft is implementing it wrong. The only person I've seen challenge the idea or implementation of GamePass is Colin Moriarty.

Places like DF will never give Sony their props. Richard Bedwetter was a Sega Saturn fan during the '90s and even helped run an official Sega Saturn magazine in the UK. I love the Saturn, but he's probably one of those sorts who somehow blames Sony for everything that went wrong with that system.

So it's funny how on the one hand, they and the other DF people want to act like Sony hasn't earned any of their success with PlayStation and it mostly comes from others screwing up...yet at the same time, side with Phil Spencer or anyone else at Xbox blaming Sony for Xbox's problems, or not getting certain games, or not selling well. So which is it? Sony can't both be so incompetent that their success is owed to MS's failures, AND yet be competent enough to be the reason behind Xbox's decline.

It's like the people who keep saying Sony are broke and can't buy a notable publisher, yet blame Sony buying exclusives from everyone as the reason MS should go buy publishers. How are they broke when they have to also spend lots of money to get exclusive 3P games? These sort of people make their own paradoxes.

mckmas8808

These stores need to start hiring police officers as security, then. Businesses are just gonna pull out of those communities and then the thieves won't have anything to steal.

I'd say that's for the best but the law-abiding people also suffer so it sucks for them.

The problem with the bolded is that the companies also lose out on a good customer base. At the end of the day, these billion-dollar businesses will need to get with Mayors and Governors to make flash mob stealing a felony punishable for up to 10 years in prison (if you steal more than $5000) worth of goods.

Places like DF will never give Sony their props. Richard Bedwetter was a Sega Saturn fan during the '90s and even helped run an official Sega Saturn magazine in the UK. I love the Saturn, but he's probably one of those sorts who somehow blames Sony for everything that went wrong with that system.

So it's funny how on the one hand, they and the other DF people want to act like Sony hasn't earned any of their success with PlayStation and it mostly comes from others screwing up...yet at the same time, side with Phil Spencer or anyone else at Xbox blaming Sony for Xbox's problems, or not getting certain games, or not selling well. So which is it? Sony can't both be so incompetent that their success is owed to MS's failures, AND yet be competent enough to be the reason behind Xbox's decline.

It's like the people who keep saying Sony are broke and can't buy a notable publisher, yet blame Sony buying exclusives from everyone as the reason MS should go buy publishers. How are they broke when they have to also spend lots of money to get exclusive 3P games? These sort of people make their own paradoxes.

Oh so this says it all then LOL!!! If Richard was one of those ex-Sega guys then he'll always hate Sony.

Last edited:

laynelane

I still be seeing local grocery store workers posting on social networks about stopping thieves & even chasing them down after they make it out of the store for food that they can't even restock because they left the store with it

Prior to this incident, I had the store manager tell me to physically stop shoplifters from leaving the store. I worked the night shift, alone in the front end, in a neighbourhood with many addicts and criminals (had the police come in once and arrest a guy who had just broken into a nearby home and assaulted three women living there - he was carrying a concealed weapon too). I just nodded my head and continued to be hands-off and non-confrontational (just reported it to the manager on duty when it was happening). The audacity of asking low paid workers to put themselves in harm's way instead of hiring loss prevention staff really stuck with me, but many others didn't see it that way and still put themselves at risk.

graywolf323

heck stores have even punished workers who did intervene to try to help, that recently happened with Lowe’s which after public backlash re-hired the lady

graywolf323

Oh so this says it all then LOL!!! If Richard was one of those ex-Sega guys then he'll always hate Sony.
…wait, did we just discover the real identify of SEGAvangelist SEGAvangelist ? 🤔😜

Last edited:

Alebrije

Done with DF.

Intervening? NOPE those workers not earn enought to risk their lives for some consoles. But even of they earn good money they are not security guards.

It looks staged but this happens the same way on other stores. You see robbers easily taking stuff not worring about police or someone that Will stop them.

Inflation has made people insane here in America man. I still don't understand why employees don't quickly call the cops FAST! Building Security can't do but so much, but call the cops man. And do it FAST! I hate seeing stuff like this.
Bro the cops don't care. For some reason rhetoric like "ACAB" and "defund the police" has been bad for hiring new officers and morale of existing ones, I can't for the life of me imagine why. Almost all police departments in cities are facing desperate staffing shortages. The big progressive cities are getting what they demanded, I hope they are happy!

When I was a kid I had a job at a supermarket stocking shelves. Always pretended not to notice shoplifting. Not worth getting punched over for minimum wage.

When I was a kid I had a job at a supermarket stocking shelves. Always pretended not to notice shoplifting. Not worth getting punched over for minimum wage.
Exactly...every time that people say "if this was real why didn't anyone do anything?" i always ask myself if they know these workers have no love for these big corporations since they are paid the bare minimum. Imagine risking your life over some stolen items.

Top Bottom