• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series S just got a price increase in Brazil

Roberts

If this is somehow MS doing and not the tax thing, then it's definitely a not a cool way to shit on one of your main markets. I've seen tons of more prominent xbox fan accounts on twitter calling them out so it will be interesting to see if they will reverse this or at least give an official explanation.

Saber

Gold Member
Brazil and Argentina have the stupidest import taxes, neither Xbox nor Playstation can be manufactured locally so imposing these tariffs on them is ridiculous.

Microsoft has a manufacting place in Brazil as far I remember. Sony left Brazil 3~4 years ago.

Banjo64

cumsessed
"This is not the Xbox I want to see"

Oh my sweet summer child

This is only the beginning
Serious, these baboons have been championing the ABK deal (and all MS consolidation) as ‘great for the consumer’ as though Microsoft’s goal is to deliver games like CoD at a loss :messenger_tears_of_joy: Now acting surprised that MS are hiking costs, keep that same energy - this is great for the people of Brazil right?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
All consoles are overpriced here. A ps5 standard edition is around 900 USD. Biggest appeal of the Series S here used to be it was half the price of other newer consoles but that just went out of the window.
How much are GPUs, cuz at 900+ dollars you really should be thinking about getting a decent GPU and a pocket change CPU.

GHG

Banjo64 Banjo64 remember this?:

Consumer protection != Sony market position protection. Hopefully CMA will move away from Sony talking points and to actual real issues. I really appreciate the thorough review CADE did. They directly addressed Sony's concerns.

In this case Sony's market position is one of the reasons they felt comfortable raising the prices on consumers. All the more reason to get more competition in this space. Currently there isn't a great argument in how this acquisition hurts normal video game consumers. The biggest arguments against Game pass is the price isn't sustainable not that they are gouging consumers.

Where is he now huh? Why do Microsoft suddenly feel so comfortable raising their prices for Brazilian consumers?

Is this what "more competition" looks like?

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Where the fuck does all this duty money go? Why does the Brazilian govt tax video games so much? It's been like this for as long as I can remember.
Country is poor as fuck and video games are a borderline luxury item here. So they tax spending by getting a cut of money spent overseas on imports like these.

What the Brazilian government really wants is for Sony and Microsoft to open factories and employ people in the country. Then the whole tax thing is entirely bypassed, but Brazilian labor laws are really strong. Every game industry company that has ever tried conducting business here eventually leaves because other countries allow their workers to be exploited with much less hassle.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Banjo64 Banjo64 remember this?:

Where is he now huh? Why do Microsoft suddenly feel so comfortable raising their prices for Brazilian consumers?

Searching CADE is a gold mine :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

How much are GPUs, cuz at 900+ dollars you really should be thinking about getting a decent GPU and a pocket change CPU.
A rtx 3060 should be around $400 to $500 (R$2000-2500), and a i5 12400 would be around $200 (R$1000).

With all the other components included, a mid-range pc along that line should come as slightly more expensive than a console.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Mahavastu

They can be manufactured locally so long as Sony and Microsoft accept national labor laws.
I thought Sony did have local manufacturing of Playstations in Brazil? I think I once watched a video about it, though it is ages ago...

Gp1

Yeah...& play with +150ms lag.....you can play only turn based games with that shit.

AFAIK, at least for me, it ain't a problem, I'm close to their servers and the entire route is fiber. 150ms/200ms was my ping when tested Gaikai in the 2010's.

In any case, with the Series S costing 3.5k, the PS5 Digital costing the same and a RTX 4070 costing close to 4k BRL (just the GPU, but i can find it even cheaper) MS's value proposition for both Series S and X simply has sunk in Brazil.

edit
Just for you guys know the prices here. 1 dollar = 5 BRL

PS5 digital/Gow edition: 3.5k /4.2k BRL
RTX 4070: 4k BRL
7800xt: 3.6 to 4kBRL
7700: close to 3k BRL
RX 7600/RTX 4060: +-2k BRL

Last edited:

Three

He's in the shadows putting like emojis on pro-MS posts.

You can get a RTX 3060 for R$ 1300 (U$ 260/270)
Of course, you need a CPU+mobo... but Pc games also offers cheaper prices than consoles. For instance, Baldurs Gate 3 was R$ 200 reais on Steam vs 300 on PSN
(and if you add the secret ingredient you get it for free)

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Brazilians will just pirate it

Oh, wait...

Animated GIF

???It can be artgumentated in the opposite direction. It would be precisely the opposite that would have damaged competition. Wasn't that precisely the argument to be against?? That the 2T dollars MS could reduce the price of its console below the competition while assembling an exclusive catalog that could not be answered?? :messenger_smirking:

The funny thing is that if the news had been a price reduction you would have also found the negative accent... :pie_kfwse:

PS.It's clear that MS has decided that it'd rather not sell the hardware at a loss than sell more units. We'll see if this is unique to Brazil or extends to wider markets.
Miami Dolphins Football GIF by NFL

Fake

What does this mean?

Its a satire to our president. In his campaign for running president, his mojo was 'Faz o L', in others words either 'do the L' or 'make the L'

Now we got people over the internet mocking him, but this is not his faulty, in fact the last president was even worst in this regards.

Gp1

Now we got people over the internet mocking him, but this is not his faulty, in fact the last president was even worst in this regards.

It's a false equivalence.
The last guy, with all his problems, was somewhat a liberal on economics. He even cut part of the taxes incurred in video games.

Fake

Me too.
From 2020 to 2022 we saw 3 or 4 IPI tax cut specifically for video games.
Even Sony acknowledge that and reduced the MSRP in Brazil.

I got Elden Ring day one for R$349,90 on the Bolsonaro leadership BTW. Again, as much I hate Bolsonaro, have nothing to do with all of them. High taxes on Brazil is an old problem.

Gp1

I got Elden Ring day one for R$349,90 on the Bolsonaro leadership BTW. Again, as much I hate Bolsonaro, have nothing to do with all of them. High taxes on Brazil is an old problem.

I ain't going to derail the topic.

Search "redução IPI video games 2020 / 2022" - 4 IPI tax cuts and a MSRP reduction.

Ceteris paribus it would translate in cheaper gaming consoles.

2023 - Haddad was trying to tax online sports bet and it could incur on new taxes on videogames

Part of my last job involved involved, at least, being aware of this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
Once again I refuse to feel bad for Brazil when their women are genetically designed to do this ...

sexy booty shake GIF

It's just unfair if you ask me ...

Last edited:
  • Strength

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Microsoft Brazil got back to the original suggest price of R$2600 - which on the stores is less than that. Nothing for real has been said

PR is shitty, but at least they heard the people

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
It is almost as cheap as flying to Orlando (if not cheaper) and buying one from Walmart or whatever

Last edited:

Alebrije

Argument from Microsoft ejecutive for the price rise : "Brasil ir rich , they have Neimar, Rio, Xuxa, Amazonas and lots of parrots..we can rise Xbox S price and no one will notice..."

Last edited:

just_jr

So, what was the price before?
it means that the first row shows the base price and the row named "impostos" is the tax you'll need to pay, so basically you pay the double when you sum the values

Last edited:

Fake

it means that the first row shows the base price and the row named "impostos" is the tax you'll need to pay, so basically you pay the double when you sum the values

I asked what was the price before, not what that mean. I'm brazillian btw, so no way to fool me. He know the prices was already high. Brazil have this problem since ages. Nothing to do with old or new president.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
CRISIS AVERTED, BRAZILIANS!

-

After being empty for a few days, the Xbox Series S price tab reappeared on Microsoft's official website with the unchanged value of R$2650.We contacted Xbox Brazil, which did not provide any new details and maintained its previous position: "On this topic, the information already known and confirmed by Xbox is the only one we have to provide at the moment."

Last edited:
Top Bottom