• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X vs PS5 load time comparisons on BC games

Last Gen load times:

Series X is faster

Boot time and resume:

There is something fishy how he presses both consoles on from the controller vs timer.

Like on ps5 he presses the button sloooowly, pauses and then lets go. Just press both like mouse click and start timer then. PS5 beeb comes around 5-6 seconds in the counter, it should be 0-1s from button click. and same with xbox, timer starts before he presses it?

Most likely there is still firmware patches for both systems coming to lower these loading times, I find it really fishy how long either system takes and PS5 should be a lot faster than it shows up here

ethomaz

Banned
Odd that the PS5 is slower, I thought BC games would have been similar because these older games are not taking advantage of the newer features of each console.
To different approaches of BC.

PS5 uses a hardware BC mode that emulates the PS4 / PS4 Pro CPU/GPU.
Xbox uses a software BC that uses the full cloks of the CPU/GPU.

PS5 BC will be limited to the original CPU/GPU power unless it is patched to use the actual PS5 CPU/GPU power.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Disappointing, I really wanted near instant loading for current gen games.
I was referring mainly to next gen games when the final code hits. Going from SSD from HDD on Xbox One and PS4 will help cut the times significantly but they will be limited by the file systems being capped. Even going to an external SSD helps a ton on current gen even with it being capped at 500mbs or so reads.

Last edited:

Vaelka

People are so obsessed with load times lol, it's like the only thing I hear about.
On PC I've never once felt like things took long to load even if this new SSD ends up being faster until it's out on PC ( or an even faster one ) I really think that the whole obsession about loading times is overblown.
I get that game design can change because of it, less walking sections is definitely welcome but still.

Wow. All that chest beating mark cerny did about the ssd. What a moron
vwkoWUn.jpg

CeeJay

So you believe Xbox will perform better in real time. We'll await actual titles optimized for the platform and compare those.
It's not a matter of belief, its a matter of evaluating the results of real world testing that other people have actually carried out between the two systems. PS5 from what I can see is still generally loading the games quicker anyway, its just that its not as meaningful a difference as the numbers on paper would seem to suggest.

ethomaz

Banned
Digital Foundry said it uses full CPU and GPU clocks. Didn't they?
Only if patched to boost mode.

DF

"Could it be that a compatibility mode is in place that limits GPU clocks to base PS4 spec? We know that this is an option available to developers now as they certify their new PS4 titles for PS5 play, and maybe that explains what is going on with AC Unity. Users of the patched game with its 30fps cap will be blissfully ignorant of this, of course."

So they basically confirmed the PS4 and PS4 Pro BC Modes runs at original clocks.

Last edited:
How are the PS5 load times compared to PS4/PS4 Pro? Because some of these loads look atrociously long. I'm wondering if Sony has pushed out any firmware updates on the system similar to how one that significantly improved load times in Astro.

The PS5 has a much more customized approach to its I/O with its hirarchy levels.
Guess unaltered BC games aren´t exactly coping well with that, yet.

Well, we know the hardware numbers, now the software has to step up.

Last edited:
It's not a matter of belief, its a matter of evaluating the results of real world testing that other people have actually carried out between the two systems. PS5 from what I can see is still generally loading the games quicker anyway, its just that its not as meaningful a difference as the numbers on paper would seem to suggest.

Did you even see the Video? XSX is loading every game faster, FFV loads more than 20 seconds faster.

ethomaz

Banned
The PS5 has a much more customized approach to its I/O with its hirarchy levels.
Guess unaltered BC games aren´t exactly coping well with that, yet.

Well, we know the hardware numbers, now the software has to step up.
Unaltered BC games runs at original PS4 / PS4 Pro clocks.
Even if the SSD is super fast it will only remove the I/O bottleneck and stop at the CPU/GPU clocks bottlenecks.

Last edited:
There is something fishy how he presses both consoles on from the controller vs timer.

Like on ps5 he presses the button sloooowly, pauses and then lets go. Just press both like mouse click and start timer then. PS5 beeb comes around 5-6 seconds in the counter, it should be 0-1s from button click. and same with xbox, timer starts before he presses it?

Most likely there is still firmware patches for both systems coming to lower these loading times, I find it really fishy how long either system takes and PS5 should be a lot faster than it shows up here
Even if they have 1 or 2 seconds delay on the PS5, the point still stands.
PS5 is not faster loader those games with a faster SSD.

DavidGzz

Like on ps5 he presses the button sloooowly, pauses and then lets go.

It's crazy to see what people come up with when in denial. So slooooooowly. Heh

Note, performing better at the same resolution/graphics settings as the PS4 Pro.

Exactly, I see people bringing up Sekiro yet it's 4k on XSX and 1800p on PS5.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Starts the timer before the button press.

PS5's loading basically completes when the warning message appears, not right when it gets to the menu.

JCK75

PS5 has a clearly faster SSD, but when both of these are put to full use the actual difference between the two IMO will be more milliseconds than seconds.

Top Bottom