• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox supports RDNA 2.0 feature VRS on next gen Xbox Series X.

Dory16

Banned
Sounds like a big deal but also like something that only first party studios would make use of. When Phil said fastest and most powerful (xbox) on the game awards stage, I knew he had to have some serious ammunition in his pocket even if he wasn't stating anything relative to other products.

Starfield

Sounds like a big deal but also like something that only first party studios would make use of. When Phil said fastest and most powerful (xbox) on the game awards stage, I knew he had to have some serious ammunition in his pocket even if he wasn't stating anything relative to other products.
He probably said that in case the PS5 turns out to be slightly or immensely more powerful than the Series X. Afterall they don't fully know what their competitor is brewing behind doors.

Phil Spencer 3 or so days ago " Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can,and i think we're there. We like leading in power and performance and i feel like we're going to be there again"

Dory16

Banned
Things in the background will be blurry and shit looking but it's ok because your not looking at it anyway.
NVidia use variable rate shading in their most advanced GPUs and they disagree with you:
"Programmable shaders defined modern graphics. Turing GPUs feature new advanced shading technologies that are more powerful, flexible, and efficient than ever before. Combined with GDDR6—the world’s fastest memory—this performance lets you tear through games with maxed-out settings and incredibly high frame rates "

Last edited:
Doesn't confirm anything. RDNA2 may very well have VRS support (it would be foolish not to), but Microsoft is using their own patented VRS solution (supports both VRS Tiers).

Additionally, our patented Variable Rate Shading (VRS) technology will allow developers to get even more out of the Xbox Series X GPU

JimboJones

NVidia use variable rate shading in their most advanced GPUs and they disagree with you:
"Programmable shaders defined modern graphics. Turing GPUs feature new advanced shading technologies that are more powerful, flexible, and efficient than ever before. Combined with GDDR6—the world’s fastest memory—this performance lets you tear through games with maxed-out settings and incredibly high frame rates "

I'm not sure how they are disagreeing they say it's "flexible and efficient" which is code for making some parts of the image look a bit worse to save on performance. It's kind of like foveated rendering but it doesn't rely on eye tracking.

If parts of the screen are moving fast they could lower resolution or detail on objects because flatppanel are crap displaying things in motion, so you wont notice anyway or at least it won't be as noticeable.

Dory16

Banned
I'm not sure how they are disagreeing they say it's "flexible and efficient" which is code for making some parts of the image look a bit worse to save on performance. It's kind of like foveated rendering but it doesn't rely on eye tracking.

If parts of the screen are moving fast they could lower resolution or detail on objects because flatppanel are crap displaying things in motion, so you wont notice anyway or at least it won't be as noticeable.
If you're going to skip the description of the outcome (max settings and higher frame rates) to focus on the mean as if it was the outcome (flexible and efficient) then it's beyond help, mate. Turing GPUs are the most advanced PC graphic cards and not because they make things "a bit worse".

JimboJones

I'm not arguing that they are not advanced? It's a very advanced feature to be able to selectively drop the resolution and detail on objects to save on performance without the user noticing.

Afterall they don't fully know what their competitor is brewing behind doors.

You would think they have SOME type of idea most likely more than less. They know what is available on the market, for the price point they expect to hit. Unless Sony goes balls deep and decides to either take a huge loss on hardware or charge $799 for their next system (or even has some super secret tech that puts them at 20TF at the same cost as the XSEX 12TF...).....neither side should be getting "blown away".

If Sony does pull a okie doke and completely smashes MS then I would literally lol my way to the bank to take out a loan for the new PS5

Last edited:

Starfield

You would think they have SOME type of idea most likely more than less. They know what is available on the market, for the price point they expect to hit. Unless Sony goes balls deep and decides to either take a huge loss on hardware or charge $799 for their next system (or even has some super secret tech that puts them at 20TF at the same cost as the XSEX 12TF...).....neither side should be getting "blown away".

If Sony does pull a okie doke and completely smashes MS then I would literally lol my way to the bank to take out a loan for the new PS5
The last thing you said happened at the launch of last year's generation and there's no reason that it couldn't happen again, albeit it has a much smaller chance of happening now.

Aceofspades

Banned
Normal occurance, just like PS4 supported 8ACE prior to Polaris cards. Consoles usually tends to have forward thinking, future proofing features.

I'm sure PS5 will have similar RDNA2 features ready.

ZywyPL

Banned
The VRS will be a big deal and quite a game-changer - it already boosts performance by around 15% in Wolfenstein, which doesn't have the biggest and most open levels, to say the least, so in most modern games that blindly follow the open-world design the performance savings will be huge, enabling for better visuals of what's actually around you, instead o the things that are 2 miles away and you can't even tell the difference if they have 10k or 100k polygons etc.

Armorian

Banned
The VRS will be a big deal and quite a game-changer - it already boosts performance by around 15% in Wolfenstein, which doesn't have the biggest and most open levels, to say the least, so in most modern games that blindly follow the open-world design the performance savings will be huge, enabling for better visuals of what's actually around you, instead o the things that are 2 miles away and you can't even tell the difference if they have 10k or 100k polygons etc.

All open world games use lod transitions, VSR will just lower quality of some objects

Funny in Sony deep dive w/ Wired. No mention of it, maybe a work around

Additionally, our patented Variable Rate Shading (VRS) technology will allow developers to get even more out of the Xbox Series X GPU

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Where are you getting the bolded from? Or are you personally saying this?

mckmas8808

Maybe this is how they are getting these results from Hellblade 2.....

senuas-saga-hellblade-2-a.jpg

Senuas-Saga-Hellblade-II-1.png

p7Qxxl1.gif

TIiN1sX.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
There's been a lot of reports of consoles borrowing PC components doing forward like SSD, amount of ram etc. watch this be the trend going into PS5, 6, etc.

Patented. Yeah, AMD has also a "patented" VRS. Everyone has a patented VRS :

AMD Patents Variable Rate Shading Technique for Console, VR Performance Domination

So, it's not Xbox exclusive at all. Btw. VRS was invented and presented by Nvidia :

We introduced Variable Rate Shading (VRS) last year with the Turing architecture. This new, easy to implement rendering technique allows developers to vary the amount of processing power spent across the image, to spend time and increase quality in the areas where they are most needed. Since virtual reality demands both a high performance and a high image quality, VRS is the perfect fit for VR experiences, especially when used in conjunction with eye tracking.

GHG

Maybe this is how they are getting these results from Hellblade 2.....

senuas-saga-hellblade-2-a.jpg

Senuas-Saga-Hellblade-II-1.png

p7Qxxl1.gif

TIiN1sX.gif

That's from the result of it running on a high end PC.

That's the big advantage Microsoft have going into next gen from a marketing perspective. They can throw around things like "in-game" and "in-engine" without needing to specify whether it's running on PC or Xbox hardware since the games are being developed for both.

As an example, we know Flight Simulator 2020 looks stunning on the PC but we are yet to see how it's shaping up on any console hardware.

I don't have a problem with it because it's not flat out lying, but it would be better if they specified.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

That's the big advantage Microsoft have going into next gen from a marketing perspective. They can throw around things like "in-game" and "in-engine" without needing to specify whether it's running on PC or Xbox hardware since the games are being developed for both.

As an example, we know Flight Simulator 2020 looks stunning on the PC but we are yet to see how it's shaping up on any console hardware.

I don't have a problem with it because it's not flat out lying, but it would be better if they specified.

A high end PC, that's targeting Xbox SX specs though, I'm assuming.

Even tho i dont agree with you on many things, the xbox pc perspective is beneficial to them with certain things.

Top Bottom