• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox supports RDNA 2.0 feature VRS on next gen Xbox Series X.

Great Hair

Banned
Maybe this is how they are getting these results from Hellblade 2.....
senuas-saga-hellblade-2-a.jpg

Senuas-Saga-Hellblade-II-1.png

p7Qxxl1.gif

TIiN1sX.gif

Because that´s rendered, not realtime at all. It was running at a blistering 29.976fps. How can you not notice the difference between in-engine and this, 100% CGi render.

Flyby were in-engine, the giant waking up was in-engine but her facial mimic scenes were 100% rendered after capturing with cameras (real person).

Gargus

Banned
But will this make their lineup of games any better?

But really since they put most of their first party games on pc this doesnt mean a thing to me. I need a real reason to another xbox system and that reason needs to be more than just fancy graphics features, I need a barge of of exclusive games that I actually want to play that I can't play on pc also. With few games like cuphead and killer instinct and gears and now halo on pc on xbox one I packed it up and never touched it again. My playstation and pc rule my house for gaming because between the 2 of them I can play 90% of all the games I want, switch makes up another 6% and the other 3% are on xbox but they are so few I dont care.

They could have time traveled in tim to the 2087 and brought back technology for the new xbox and I still wouldn't care if the games on it aren't any good.

He probably said that in case the PS5 turns out to be slightly or immensely more powerful than the Series X. Afterall they don't fully know what their competitor is brewing behind doors.
There is no way PS5 will be more powerful. It will either match seriesX or will be less powerful. Going beyond power of series X will make PS5 extremely expensive machine and Sony will not sell PS5 at over 500$.

But will this make their lineup of games any better?

But really since they put most of their first party games on pc this doesnt mean a thing to me. I need a real reason to another xbox system and that reason needs to be more than just fancy graphics features, I need a barge of of exclusive games that I actually want to play that I can't play on pc also. With few games like cuphead and killer instinct and gears and now halo on pc on xbox one I packed it up and never touched it again. My playstation and pc rule my house for gaming because between the 2 of them I can play 90% of all the games I want, switch makes up another 6% and the other 3% are on xbox but they are so few I dont care.

They could have time traveled in tim to the 2087 and brought back technology for the new xbox and I still wouldn't care if the games on it aren't any good.

If you have high end pc which match power of Series X then yeah you don't need it. You play where u want. It's for console gamers who don't own or afford 1000$ PC to match the power of Series X.

truth411

There is no way PS5 will be more powerful. It will either match seriesX or will be less powerful. Going beyond power of series X will make PS5 extremely expensive machine and Sony will not sell PS5 at over 500$.
What are you basing this on?
Its an unwarranted assumption to just assume the Xbox is going to be stronger.
It can go either way.

ZywyPL

Banned
He's looking awfully confident in that pic. It'd be a damn shame if Sony showed up with the superior refrigerator.

Well, he is indeed the one who has the actual numbers, specs, benchmarks and even the console itself. He was confident with X1X prior its release, and needless to say it did deliver, so much they are actually already doing 4K and/or 60FPS with their games on it, so having 4x more powerful hardware can make things only much much better.

Looking at how MS handled X1X, I'm pretty sure the new X is also "calculated" - they set the goals, what the console needs to do, and what they actually need in order to achieve it. The most important aspect of next Xbox will be the games, with the rumored 12-16 titles we can be sure anyone will find something for themselves, but then again, given their track record with anything else than the holy trinity Forza/Halo/Gears, one can worry about the quality of their launch lineup.

On the contrary, I'm not so confident in Sony, judging how poorly they handled the Pro. Don't get me wrong, the PS5 will be a great performing machine, whether it will or will not be more powerful than XBX, no doubt about it, but the build quality stands behind a huge question mark, as well as the actuall performance - MS has VRS, while Sony pretty much mastered the CBR, so both have the tricks to overcome any potential performance bottlenecks, but as oppose to VRS, CBR does have an impact on the IQ. We will see.

Tomeru

Sounds like a big deal but also like something that only first party studios would make use of. When Phil said fastest and most powerful (xbox) on the game awards stage, I knew he had to have some serious ammunition in his pocket even if he wasn't stating anything relative to other products.

Wasnt that rethorical though? Obviously its the fastes most powerful xbox ever. Until the next one and the next or whatever. That like sony saying the fastest most powerful playstation. Its pr talk in the end, and both sony and ms will output the same performance (give or take). There will be nothing worth mentioning regarding their performance differences in the end.

The gap is so small now, that you have different methods to achieve the same effects, and that will result in virtually the same performance. Both companies see power as the number one motivator now.

In some ways its sad, but its the only thing console are good for (well, mainly). Giving games more power. Its up to developers etc.

Im not as excited for next gen as Im excited to have pc like performance at last. I hope.

Edit:
My opinion if it wasnt clear.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Well, he is indeed the one who has the actual numbers, specs, benchmarks and even the console itself. He was confident with X1X prior its release, and needless to say it did deliver, so much they are actually already doing 4K and/or 60FPS with their games on it, so having 4x more powerful hardware can make things only much much better.

Looking at how MS handled X1X, I'm pretty sure the new X is also "calculated" - they set the goals, what the console needs to do, and what they actually need in order to achieve it. The most important aspect of next Xbox will be the games, with the rumored 12-16 titles we can be sure anyone will find something for themselves, but then again, given their track record with anything else than the holy trinity Forza/Halo/Gears, one can worry about the quality of their launch lineup.

On the contrary, I'm not so confident in Sony, judging how poorly they handled the Pro. Don't get me wrong, the PS5 will be a great performing machine, whether it will or will not be more powerful than XBX, no doubt about it, but the build quality stands behind a huge question mark, as well as the actuall performance - MS has VRS, while Sony pretty much mastered the CBR, so both have the tricks to overcome any potential performance bottlenecks, but as oppose to VRS, CBR does have an impact on the IQ. We will see.
Mind to tell us what CBR is? I haven't come across it before.

Mind to tell us what CBR is? I haven't come across it before.
Checker board rendering . It uses a lower native resolution like 1440p and reconstruct all the other pixels to output 4K revolution . Much cleaner that upscaling and when done right it’s really hard to tell apart from native 4K . While gpu power can be saved for something else rather than producing native 4K .

Hope that helps

Dory16

Banned
Checker board rendering . It uses a lower native resolution like 1440p and reconstruct all the other pixels to output 4K revolution . Much cleaner that upscaling and when done right it’s really hard to tell apart from native 4K . While gpu power can be saved for something else rather than producing native 4K .

Hope that helps
Yeah I know about checkerboarding, had just never seen it abbreviated like that. Surely Sony will want to come up with something better than that for next gen. The Pro was already widely known as the "fake 4K" console, I'm not sure they want to perpetuate that reputation unless it's heavily reflected in the price.

Last edited:
Yeah I know about checkerboarding, had just never seen it abbreviated like that. Surely Sony will want to come up with something better than that for next gen. The Pro was already widely known as the "fake 4K" console, I'm not sure they want to perpetuate that reputation unless it's heavily reflected in the price.
No these machines will be strong enough to do native 4K . No need to worry about that. But maybe 5 years down the line a dev wants to do a checkerboard 4K to use the gpu power to push more stuff on screen and increase the visual fidelity . No one can dictate developers what they should do .

Starfield

Never say never. People were in HUGE denial when the Specs and scope of the XO leaked. I doubt its going to happen but theres always a chance that the PS5 could come out as the slightly better console.

Mentioning "MS patented VRS" seems odd unless this is the basis of a custom Xbox implementation that is somehow supposed to be more efficient, or if the RDNA 2 implementation is based on MS's patent. Even in the latter case, it wouldn't rule Sony out from also then licensing it from AMD, or perhaps implementing their own version.

Most interesting thing is the idea that RDNA 2 tech beyond ray tracing is making it's way into next gen. GPUs are supposed to be more amenable to tinkering with for semi custom chips than CPUs. I guess this would be another example of that.

It will also be interesting to see what compromises were necessary to maintain BC. Unlike the PC, there will be certain features of early GCN that must be carried over that have been dropped on later PC GCN or RDNA architectures.

Top Bottom