• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Preview Drivers now brings AFMF to RDNA 2

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's it people.
AMD is officially releasing this feature for RDNA 2 cards as well. Maybe they want to convince people it's a great feature so they can sell RDNA 3 and 4 to them.

Here are the release notes:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-30-afmf-tech-preview

In there, AMD clearly specifies:

New Feature Highlights​

• AMD Fluid Motion Frames (AFMF) Technical Preview – Boost FPS with frame generation technology for a smoother gaming experience.
    • AFMF adds frame generation technology to DirectX® 11 and 12 games on AMD Radeon™ RX 7000 (and now 6000!)Series Desktop Graphics Cards.
      • We are responding to the excitement from our community and are adding support for Radeon™ RX 6000 Series Desktop Graphics Cards.

Amazing news for those waiting for it. Specially emulators will benefit from this :messenger_sunglasses:

Tams

AF...

needs GIF

... MF

disappointed come on GIF

Leonidas

Good to see AMD flip the switch for 6000-series support, hopefully it turns out well so that Nvidia might eventually come out with a similar feature for it's driver.

Once the 6000 update rolls out AFMF will go from less than 1% of Steam users to 3%.

Can't wait to see the analysis to see where it works and where it falls apart...

Last edited:

El Muerto

They announced this was coming to the 6000 series when it was first revealed. It's cool to see it happening now though. Gonna update and see how it works

*Edit. Tried Horizon Zero Dawn and Hitman 3. When frame generation is turned on my fps dropped 10-20fps. Have vsync off and hdr off, enabled antilag and motion boost as suggested. Freesync is enabled and my display is supported too. Not sure if i'm doing anything wrong here.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Great news, now they need to work on improving "AFMF" since there's issues with lower framerates, VRR and Vsync.

No idea why they needed to include AMD in the naming, "FMF" is better, I can imagine Samuel L Jackson saying "Fucking Mother Fucker" when I read FMF.

hlm666

What's the As Fuck Mother Fucker feature do?
It adds motion interpolation from the driver level, but it turns off during fast movement when high frame rate is most crucial. Wildly fluctuating framerates, it's like the old fps boost thing that reduced resolution when you turned except this just slams you back to your natural frame rate. So walking forward you get 120fps then turn and it drops to 60fps until you stop turning.

Crayon

It cuts.when you pan quickly which makes it not very useful. I don't know if they plan to fix that and idk how they could do it without input from the game. Maybe it's possible.

winjer

Gold Member
Only works with RDNA3, since the last AFMF driver for RDNA2 does not support Vulkan yet.

Download and Install Preview Driver for AMD Fluid Motion Frames v23.30.01.02 Patch 2 (Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.23001.2007)

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Preview Driver for AMD Fluid Motion Frames | guru3D Forums

r/Amd - AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Preview Driver for AMD Fluid Motion Frames Patch Updates History
AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition Preview Driver for AMD Fluid Motion Frames Patch Updates History

Step 2

Download MPC-HC (x64)

https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases

Download DXVK

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v2.3

Step 3

Put "dxgi.dll"(x64) and "dx9.dll"(x64) file in folder of MPC-HC (x64).

Source: Nicky Byrne - Sunlight

Source FPS: 25 FPS

r/Amd - AMD Fluid Motion Frames for Video Fluid Motion (25 FPS > 50 FPS)
AMD Fluid Motion Frames for Video Fluid Motion (25 FPS > 50 FPS)

Preview Driver for AMD Fluid Motion Frames for Video Fluid Motion Demo

john2gr

All of this to get TV Motion Interpolation which has been available for videos for a few years (and it's a button away instead of following a guide). Funny how people were against TV Motion Interpolation and want to suddenly enable it now that AMD has added it to the drivers. Oh, and before someone says "Instead of 60fps, you can improve it by 2X to get better frame consistency"... SVP 4 Manager has that exact same feature for over 2-3 years (it even has options for 3X and 4X). So, not an excuse for those who trashed the idea of video motion interpolation.

JimboJones

All of this to get TV Motion Interpolation which has been available for videos for a few years (and it's a button away instead of following a guide). Funny how people were against TV Motion Interpolation and want to suddenly enable it now that AMD has added it to the drivers. Oh, and before someone says "Instead of 60fps, you can improve it by 2X to get better frame consistency"... SVP 4 Manager has that exact same feature for over 2-3 years (it even has options for 3X and 4X). So, not an excuse for those who trashed the idea of video motion interpolation.
Yeah seems a bit much for video interpolation, more options aren't a bad thing I guess but yeah I wouldn't be using it.

I don't know what amazing TV your using, but mine adds so much lag it's unusable in anything but watching video.

I have to use the old fashion Game Mode here. Lag is a laggy thing.

john2gr

I don't know what amazing TV your using, but mine adds so much lag it's unusable in anything but watching video.

I have to use the old fashion Game Mode here. Lag is a laggy thing.

I was talking about the video tweak above. A lot of "video/movie purists" have criticized TV Motion Interpolation and have said to disable it (even Tom Cruise jumped on the "disable Motion Interpolation" bandwagon when he released Mission Impossible Fallout). So, to see people trying to make AFMF work with videos when they could have already done that with a press of a button is hilarious, don't you think?

winjer

Gold Member
The preview driver has been updated, with several improvements:

October 13th - What’s New?​

• We have added initial support for HDR to expand the AFMF gaming experience.
  • After monitoring user experience feedback, AFMF can now be globally enabled on all DirectX® 11 and 12 titles.
    • Users may use the per-app settings to individually disable or enable AFMF.
  • Improvements to frame pacing have been made, resulting in an overall smoother gameplay experience and improved image quality.
  • Additional game support for AMD Radeon™️ Anti-Lag+
    • MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
    • Deep Rock Galactic
    • Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
    • Sniper Elite 5
    • Returnal™
    • Remnant II
    • Spider-Man: Miles Morales
    • Spider-Man Remastered
    • PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS
    • Call of Duty ®: Modern Warfare ® II
    • Tiny Tina's Wonderland