• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Chimera Squad or Othercide

Meted

Played both of the latest xcom games and the expansions.

Played a little bit of othercide at a friends place.

Both seem cool, money isn't a factor i will play both eventually just need help deciding which one i should play first (as long as they are good).
Also how do i make a poll?

*EDIT*
Or TroubleShooter

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I haven't played Othercide yet, but XCOM Chimera Squad has very good gameplay and even though it's a budget title (thankfully with a budget price) it's still easy to sink many hours into it. You just have to be okay with its aesthetics which are very weird compared to mainline XCOM games (I'm mainly talking about how the characters look and how they all sound like teenagers, even the aliens).

Last edited:

luffie

Imo Chimera Squad, while being a decent game in itself, is kinda boring and pointless, especially if you have played Xcom2:Wotc. I would rather suggest you replay xcom2 than playing CS.

CS is less tactics, less everything, boring characters.

ZZZZ

It's very hard for me to recommend a game against Xcom, especially if they are turn based strategy as well. Chimera squad is a budget title though and worse in every aspect to Xcom 2 Wotc.

I haven't played Othercide yet, but i recommend you take a look in TroubleShooter, that game is really good, there's a lot of texts to read and that can bother some people, but the combat, character builds, leveling system and even pet system is incredible.

Last edited:

Meted

It's very hard for me to recommend a game against Xcom, especially if they are turn based strategy as well. Chimera squad is a budget title though and worse in every aspect to Xcom 2 Wotc.

I haven't played Othercide yet, but i recommend you take a look in TroubleShooter, that game is really good, there's a lot of texts to read and that can bother some people, but the combat, character builds, leveling system and even pet system is incredible.
Forgot about troubleshooter, that was also one i was looking into

ZZZZ

Forgot about troubleshooter, that was also one i was looking into
I'd recommend Xcom 2 Wotc, if you already played that, i'd put Troubleshooter above Chimera Squad and Othercide.
A warning though, Troubleshooter has a lot of text, seriously the game has like 15+ important characters and you will learn about all of them, when i mean a lot of text it really is a LOT, if you hate that type of game i'd give a pass, aside from that, the game has incredible combat, skill system, pet system, even the crafting is simple but deep at the same time, i spent like 10+hours in my first playthrough just making builds for my characters.

Last edited:
No idea about Othercide but Chimera Squad is not that good. Mostly just average stuff. Missions take 5 to 10 minutes and you're just stuck in these small rooms fighting tons of enemies xcom style and everything is in your favor since all abilities like mind control and whatnot are always going to work, well almost always, 90% of the time anyway. I played it on hard and it was still very easy. Locations are ugly as hell, nothing sci-fi about it at all. They look worse than XCOM 1, from some ugly apartments to non stop warehouses. Barely any pre-mission tactics, controlling the city chaos is easy. I only liked that the characters we control have personalities and the voice acting for the most part was okay. The main plot is boring as shit. So yeah if you're interested in a 6/10 kind of game go ahead.

Meted

I'd recommend Xcom 2 Wotc, if you already played that, i'd put Troubleshooter above Chimera Squad and Othercide.
A warning though, Troubleshooter has a lot of text, seriously the game has like 15+ important characters and you will learn about all of them, when i mean a lot of text it really is a LOT, if you hate that type of game i'd give a pass, aside from that, the game has incredible combat, skill system, pet system, even the crafting is simple but deep at the same time, i spent like 10+hours in my first playthrough just making builds for my characters.
im not a huge fan of walls of text, but i have played my fair share of RPGS and even some great VNs, i should be fine then if the game is good enough?

ZZZZ

im not a huge fan of walls of text, but i have played my fair share of RPGS and even some great VNs, i should be fine then if the game is good enough?
Yes, the story plays like a VN, you should be fine, game is great.

Top Bottom