• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade 2 Announced (Not XCX, new sequel to XB, ACE music, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

That creature that moves in the first shot is enormous o_O

dddddk5u9g.jpg

tumblr_inline_njjx9pUtw51sfdjpw.png

I agree with those of you that aren't liking the "moe" character designs. The characters are far too clean and colourful looking for a direct sequel to the original Xenoblade. It's an issue for me as the character design in the first Xenoblade blended an anime aesthetic with more realistic human features (refer to picture above) and gave them a more "gritty", "lived" appearance that not only fit well with the kinds of themes the game tackles but also gave the series a unique visual identity.

Also, it's a direct sequel where the characters look nothing like the characters from the previous game...

I agree with this. Those characters looked fine and fit the game world perfectly. X and Chronicles' character designs clash with the look of the game world, on top of just being ugly.

Vhalyar

Complete garbage character design, but if they finally fix navigating side quests and maps then I'm in. There combat system has an oddly satisfying feel to it.

Watched the trailer. I don't really like the look of the main character or the voice work, but this is a step in the right direction. After Saga I was turned off by the look of blade and wrote it off, before playing it recently and realizing it was a hell of a lot more like Saga than I realized.

SORAYA SAGA PLS BE WRITING

YES.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fire Emblem has always hung onto the coattails of common mainstream trends for its character design and art direction without creating much of its own identity; before Awakening and Fates it didn't have much of an identifiable style associated with it.
I'd argue it liked to stick to color schemes. You'd often have characters with same color hair/outfits and the cast ended up looking quite colorful compared to other fantasy games, and even other anime games.

TheOasis

I'm all for these character designs after the huge fuckups that were X's designs. Not super distinct but perfectly functional at least.

I actually would rather prefer them using X like character designs but refining them more. My main problem with X was the quality of the character models varied wildly. Having better quality control over this aspect as well as implementing much better facial animation (which was quite awful in X) could make a huge difference.

TrueBlue

Since this is a numbered continuation of the first, I wonder if they'll get British VA again.

X had the excuse of being set in New Los Angeles, whereas this is a more traditional fantasy setting like the first, so they could go down that route again.

Firemind

Fire Emblem has always hung onto the coattails of common mainstream trends for its character design and art direction without creating much of its own identity; before Awakening and Fates it didn't have much of an identifiable style associated with it.
please

the character design looks like any other atlus game

miksar

So basically Nintendo now has a franchise that is a fantasy RPG franchise and sci-fi RPG franchise at the same time (with the added X subtitle). Pretty smart of them.

Thoraxes

Not gonna lie, I was really hoping for a port of xenoblade chronicles x. I really wanna play it.

Well, the "rumor" was that the port was being handled externally, so who knows? Though I think that the unveiling of this and the date definitely put that a lot farther out of mind now.

DemWalls

I actually would rather prefer them using X like character designs but refining them more. My main problem with X was the quality of the character models varied wildly. Having better quality control over this aspect as well as implementing much better facial animation (which was quite awful in X) could make a huge difference.

That would possibly be the best outcome, but I wonder if they could do it, since I don't think Monolith has ever gotten the "realistic anime" look right. Xenosaga III was their best effort, but I think it still looks somewhat off. And the games they made after that are even worse. I prefer a "safe" anime aesthetic that finally looks good in 3D to another XCX-style (poor) attempt.

It's like they were ashamed to show the full outfits for the ladies. Judging by the designer's other work, I can see why.

Goddamn it Nintendo.

wmlk

I don't know why it's so shocking to think Monolith is able to push out a seemingly less ambitious game than XCX in 3 years.

I swore to myself that the Switch would only be a purchase for me if there was a pokemon or Xenoblade game. Guess I'm buying a Switch!

(I bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't know why it's so shocking to think Monolith is able to push out a seemingly less ambitious game than XCX in 3 years.

I still struggle to see what is less ambitious
It clearly will have even more dialogues / text to be included in the game, while scope-wise and gameplay-wise it seems in line with both their Nintendo rpg

wmlk

Localization.

I was saying without taking localization into account. I think people are surprised that this might be 2017/early 2018 in Japan.

I still struggle to see what is less ambitious
It clearly will have even more dialogues / text to be included in the game, while scope-wise and gameplay-wise it seems in line with both their Nintendo rpg

Graphically, it is on par with XCX, so they're not developing new technology for much more capable hardware like from Wii -> Wii U. This is seemingly a single-player focus so no need to incorporate online functionality. There's also no flying mechs here for traversal. Now, these things may be added or are already in the game, but all of this was shown off in the reveal trailer in XCX and there's none of that here.

Also, this is their third crack at making a game like this. The world from what we see here isn't crazier than XCX either.

Piers

Not digging the character designs, has forewarnings of even more pretentious life philosophy than previous two games.

duckroll

Well, the "rumor" was that the port was being handled externally, so who knows? Though I think that the unveiling of this and the date definitely put that a lot farther out of mind now.

I don't think it would even be related. I mean we should keep in mind how Nintendo is positioning stuff. Mario Kart 8 wasn't even in the presentation at all today, even though it's ready, playable. and has new content. Why? Probably because Nintendo didn't want the perception that the Switch is just getting "WiiU ports". They want to emphasize all the new games. The actual sequels. No sign of Smash either.

Post-launch when Nintendo needs to fill in the release gaps, I think we'll hear about WiiU ports more and the turn around time from announcement to release should be quick.

Cerium

If this is a direct sequel to Xenoblade it bugs me that they changed the character art style simply because I like consistency within a shared universe. It bugged me like hell with Xenosaga too.

What is Monolith's problem with picking an art style and sticking with it? Shit, it doesn't even have to be a good style just commit dammit.

Gbraga

This looks incredible.

Except for the character design, it's pretty weak, again. They need to hire better character artists.

Oregano

The other team is an art asset house that helps on tons of titles.

There's still the Project X Zone team unless they've been folded in.

If this is a direct sequel to Xenoblade it bugs me that they changed the character art style simply because I like consistency within a shared universe. It bugged me like hell with Xenosaga too.

What is Monolith's problem with picking an art style and sticking with it? Shit, it doesn't even have to be a good style just commit dammit.

Probably because people complain every time!

Semajer

I wonder if there was anything in X related to this game apart from the Nopon, like a reverse cameo. It would be interesting if the Xenoblade games are actually related rather than Final Fantasy/Tales of-style references.

This is...lame. I want Baten Kaitos 3 instead. I hate that Monolith Soft only makes Xenoblade games now. Same fucking MMO combat system, story structure, yeah the open world is pretty but the quest system is going to be atrocious with filler everywhere, pointless collectible everywhere, at least the music is going to be good.

Talk to Namco. Ask for Xenosaga HD while you're at it.

Shizuka

What happened to the art style? I mean, I love me some moe art and the japanese trend to make everything cute, but not in a game like Xenoblade! I wish we saw some gameplay though, I wonder how far along is it if it's making the 2017 release schedule.

Thoraxes

I don't think it would even be related. I mean we should keep in mind how Nintendo is positioning stuff. Mario Kart 8 wasn't even in the presentation at all today, even though it's ready, playable. and has new content. Why? Probably because Nintendo didn't want the perception that the Switch is just getting "WiiU ports". They want to emphasize all the new games. The actual sequels. No sign of Smash either.

Post-launch when Nintendo needs to fill in the release gaps, I think we'll hear about WiiU ports more and the turn around time from announcement to release should be quick.

Sounds reasonable enough to me!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This was the best surprise of the entire conference to me. I want this game.
Same here.

There's no way this is releasing 2017 in NA though, I believe that just like I believed that Zelda was getting released before Star Fox Zero!

NZerker12

Looks interesting but was hoping to get XCX2. Mira was such a beautiful and interesting world to explore which felt like we only saw part of it. With the way they ended the first game we need answers.

anaron

I like how before XB 1: "fuck those are ugly character designs! those faces are gross"

now they're some standard of quality.

I guess it's now Xenoblade's "Zelda cycle" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom