• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zareka

Uh, I just started this and I can't get the elevator into the city to work. The thing says it's ready to use but there's nothing else to interact with and it's not moving on it's own. Halp?

Also, merry christmas to those celebrating! Otherwise, happy holidays!

Kyzon

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this now.

Y-you can heal?!?

Yup, you can heal with soul voices and challenges. Go into the menu for soul voices and you can see what yours do, of even change their effects for like double damage or whatever

Vena

You seen the Night Cage weapons yet? I got an electric skell w/ it and it does 40k x6. It's a 2h Voltstorm on crack.

Yes, I farmed Seidr for those, and slapped them on Elma's Skell. I don't like losing both shoulders to it on my own Skell.

Galdr drop a short cooldown Virus weapon, too. There's a bunch of cool Skell stuff that comes from breaking parts on the Ganglion mechas.

Haunted

So is it worth continuing or is there really never a point to anything I do in this game beyond exploration ?
It might be a big ask in terms of time, but story-wise, I think you should play until after the chapter 5 story mission. I think that's the point when the game is done treating the player with kid's gloves and finally pulls away the curtains and showing some of the story bits that were only vaguely hinted at before. If you think this trip will be all boy scouts, sunshines and roses, nuh uh. The stakes will be raised. If that chapter doesn't hook you, there's no salvaging your interest in the story. :p

The handful of main characters definitely aren't as interesting or fleshed out compared to the first Xenoblade, but there are other elements at play here that I quite like. Being part of a force that pioneers a strange new planet. NLA as humanity's last stand/hope. Those are "the point".

You will see city and the surrounding areas change and grow throughout the game, which is an aspect in RPGs I absolutely love. It's not quite like a homestead you have complete control over, choosing new buildings or upgrades or anything like that, but the way NLA and the outskirts of Primordia change throughout the game as you and the other humans make your mark on Mira reminded me of the SNES RPG Terranigma. It basically comes down to you helping NPCs to make the right decision, pursuing their dreams, while establishing a foothold on the planet, making first contact with a multitude of other races... and the result of these missions often have a tangible, real impact on how NLA looks (without spoilers: new buildings, new interactions, new playable areas) and how it's populated. Really making it feel like things aren't static, things are happening, moving.

In that sense, the story does lack some of the intimacy and personal connection you might've felt for your team of tropes in Xenoblade Chronicles, but, imo, X makes up for that by feeling "larger" in terms of gravitas and scale and the impact you're making on the world, something that the prequel's story doesn't match until the very endgame.

It is different, for sure, but I think you should stick with it for a little while longer. :)

Uh, I just started this and I can't get the elevator into the city to work. The thing says it's ready to use but there's nothing else to interact with and it's not moving on it's own. Halp?
One of two bugs I've encountered in the hundred hours of playing the game. Save, Return to Title Screen, Reload (you're not losing any progress, the game saves your exact position) made the elevator button work for me again.

Chi3fster

Banned
Talk about a leap in the plot.

Finished Chapter 5. I knew I was a fucking robot - we're all robots though?! Damn. Gotta find that Lifehold.

NeonZ

So is it worth continuing or is there really never a point to anything I do in this game beyond exploration ?

Like I just said above, there are story scenes in the Affinity Missions and even some of the "Normal" (not Basic) missions, and some of those have been my favorite parts of the game. They're the ones that you get from "?" points in the map, rather than the mission board - or mission board "Social" missions that lead you to "?" points. Some of those quests are so big story-wise that they change NLA itself in spite of not being part of the "main story", and you won't even see quite a few party members in the main story by itself.

After you get through the initial first few chapters, around chapter 5 or 6, those missions become much larger in number and a more relevant aspect of the game if you want to go after them.

More like Treasure Seeker is life ya''ll.

Candid and Credible sells armor with it too. There is no upper cap. Some mobs will only drop certain items if you have at least 4 people decked head to toe in TS. ( at least that much TS bonus anyway)
Some people think the upper cap is 100% and others think it works by manipulating what chest an enemy primarily drops (i.e. apendages can be bronze or silver) rather the content of said chest so at 100% it is always a gold chest.

I'll pay more attention and see if I get any bronze or silver primary chest drops...

Without any data is hard to tell otherwise though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Welcome to the Never Get Hit And Do Absurd Amounts Of Damage Club. We hope you enjoy your numbers being high. May your Overdrives be infinite.

Well my class level is not high enough to reach THAT level of overpowered yet, but the difference with Galactic Knight is already immense. It's already a different game.

Nohar

Running around in circles in my Skell in order to find items for quests is becoming very tedious very fast... Thanksfully, I have the Skell now. I can't imagine the frustration doing this without it.

alvis.exe

Man I really like the (alien species spoilers "hazmat")
Zaruboggan.
They're so hilariously dopey. If anyone runs across a quest involving (super minor mission details)
helping someone learn how to be a grown-up in NLA or the ship, choose NLA!

Zareka

One of two bugs I've encountered in the hundred hours of playing the game. Save, Return to Title Screen, Reload (you're not losing any progress, the game saves your exact position) made the elevator button work for me again.
Thanks! That got it fixed.

Pachinko

Thanks for the couple of comments guys , I'll stick with it until chapter 5 is done at least. Might have to grind a little bit to make my new class worth sticking with for the near term is all.

Dr. Worm

Banned
About to start Chapter 7. Lv. 28, working on Galactic Knight.

When should I start worrying about builds and strats and whatnot? I've been leveling and assigning Arts and Skills based on "what is the AI least likely to fuck up," so I try to avoid giving them too many TP Arts and stick to the more basic stuff with small cooldowns.

Also, which characters were DLC in Japan? It's pretty implausible to try to level people evenly with a cast this huge, so I need to pick people to ignore.

Well my class level is not high enough to reach THAT level of overpowered yet, but the difference with Galactic Knight is already immense. It's already a different game.

Assault Rifle and Longsword have helped with infinite OD for me. I really enjoy it, although I want to work on a ranged OD build to abuse that 200% Class EXP boost.

The only thing that frustrates me about OD is that it kills monsters before the appendages actually get destroyed for some reason. Though I'm wondering if True Stream Edge has something to do with it.

Whats a good spot to level between 35-40? I have a level 30 skell and im getting about 5-600 exp per big ciniculas but they are so far and few between and the fights take a while.

Im at lvl 39 and i really want a lvl 40 skell before chapter 10!

NeonZ

Also, which characters were DLC in Japan? It's pretty implausible to try to level people evenly with a cast this huge, so I need to pick people to ignore.

HB, Bozé, Alexa and Yelv were DLC.

Hope, Phog, Murderess, Frye and Mia
weren't DLC, but they don't appear in the main story at all.

Astral Dog

Whats a good spot to level between 35-40? I have a level 30 skell and im getting about 5-600 exp per big ciniculas but they are so far and few between and the fights take a while.

I was that level yesterday, on the second probe at Sylvanium there are three of those big purple enemies, easy to kill and give 400-600 points each time, BUT be careful of the robot around there, if he spots you you are dead so save frequently.

Another good spot is a canyon or cave in top of a mountain,at Sylvanium you use a prove to get there.

Or finally, just go to CAULDROS and kill prones lv.45. but its a bit tricky.

Squishy3

I was that level yesterday, on the second probe at Sylvanium there are three of those big purple enemies, easy to kill and give 400-600 points each time, BUT be careful of the robot around there, if he spots you you are dead so save frequently.

Another good spot is a canyon or cave in top of a mountain,at Sylvanium you use a prove to get there.

Or finally, just to to CAULDROS and kill prones lv.45. but its a bit tricky.
There's a perfect spot on the island between Primordia and Sylvalum that has a bunch of 35ish enemies.

Haunted

I... I don't really know how to say this... but there are no lvl 40 skells.

The next tier of Skells after the lvl 30 ones are lvl 50.

Some people think the upper cap is 100% and others think it works by manipulating what chest an enemy primarily drops (i.e. apendages can be bronze or silver) rather the content of said chest so at 100% it is always a gold chest.

I'll pay more attention and see if I get any bronze or silver primary chest drops...

Without any data is hard to tell otherwise though.

I usually roll with 3 guys with TS12 heads, and TS6 chest/legs/arm/arm, while PL'ing a 4th. That gives me 36% per character (+108%?).There's a Tyrant in Sylvanum (the 95 Xe-dom) that will only drop lvl 60 Drone/Snipers if/when I put TS gear on my 4th character, and he'll do it like 80% of the time. Otherwise it's no weps and/or sidearms only.

Nohar

Well, that's a bunch of DLC characters. I actually like Alexa. Too bad her recruit mission is completly banana for a new player: they really should warn us extensively that this mission in particular is not new player friendly.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Hope, Phog, Murderess, Frye and Mia
weren't DLC, but they don't appear in the main story at all.

What do you mean by that? I don't have the last character you mentioned, but the others at least have Affinity Quests.

Are there rankings yet of which characters are better/worse than others to use?

Chaos17

This kind of worries me , I was legit looking forward to this game but here I am only a few hours in , after the agonizingly long and boring tutorial sections and everything I read paints this kind of picture - you never really get a better story , the characters don't suddenly become interesting and it basically comes down to how much fun you have running around finding stuff and killing other stuff.

Of course I bought this digitally too because nintendo never ships enough copies of anything that might actually sell physical copies ....

The first Xenoblade hooked me almost immediately, soon as you were in the first regular town and just running around exploring with Shulk, Reyn and Fiora I was growing attached to the characters and the neat world. Even when you eventually leave town making it up to the bionis leg (with it's fantastic music) , the open world area feels earned and you're ready for it.

XBC X by comparison is literally 4 hours of reading and listening and then suddenly here's an annoying cute thing and some aliens stolen from fifth element. I can admit I still enjoy exploring and such but it feels like somethings missing here and I can't quite place what. I mean , it's not exactly glowing praise when the game finally opened up and I stopped playing it. Which is partially because even in spite of that long boring tutorial , I can't help but feel like I got the cliffs notes version of how to play the game and still have no idea what I'm doing. Like, I switched classes because the game pretty much told me to and now I have no abilities and my character seems to be much weaker even though I got the best equipment he can equip.

I can't help but feel like everything I dislike about this so far is the direct result of adding in an online component (that no one anywhere asked for).

You know my favorite modern FF is the 7 but I don't go compare it to the new FF saying : "oh I wish it was like before" because they're not direct seuqel and it's kinda the same for XCX. Do you a favor and stop comparing bith games. XCX is a nice game witha lot of depth in its gameplay that many modern rpgs on console lack.

Gameplay wise XCX just is way better than first XC, PERIOD.
You don't like the main story ? DO SIDE QUESTS
You still don't like it after the story driven side quets ? Then drop the game.

NeonZ

What do you mean by that? I don't have the last character you mentioned, but the others at least have Affinity Quests.

Are there rankings yet of which characters are better/worse than others to use?

All characters have Affinity Quests and Heart to Hearts, even the ones that were originally DLC. I meant that those characters in the spoilers don't have Affinity Quests required for the story nor appear in cutscenes of the main story Chapters unless they're your 4th party member.

MrDaravon

For what it's worth I just beat Chapter 5 and some of the story revelations out of that are pretty intriguing. The characters and the lack of emotions they have in cutscenes is still awful and I can't see that changing, but I'm at least interested in seeing where things are going now, so that's a big improvement.

Well, that's a bunch of DLC characters. I actually like Alexa. Too bad her recruit mission is completly banana for a new player: they really should warn us extensively that this mission in particular is not new player friendly.

Okay, I'm glad that wasn't just me lol. I did her recruit mission a couple days ago, I'm already probably fairly overleveled as I was either level 24 or 25 at that point AND I was still between chapters 4 and 5. But I still had to avoid the majority of the enemies on the way there, it's the first time I'd even been to that continent, and the bigger enemy on that mission took me a good while. If you took that mission when it's first available without having messed around a ton beforehand like me it probably would have been pretty terrible.

At the very eastern side of Oblivia at the water, there's a probe site. Right nearby (at the water level) there are 3 lvl 56 enemy skells, that are really easy to kill but give massive experience. With the probe site right there it's really easy to farm them.

They hit pretty hard if you're not strong enough to kill them fast, but lvl 30 skells should be plenty enough if you have any decent weaponry.

Lexxism

50 is the next level skell though.

I... I don't really know how to say this... but there are no lvl 40 skells.

The next tier of Skells after the lvl 30 ones are lvl 50.

Ah whaaaat noooooooooooooo! I coulda sworn I saw 40. Looks like itll be a while until I can get to 50 so I'll just go ahead and get Lin and my 4th member Skells.

Suggestions? Im not a big fan of the Amdusias since they look bulky and whack but I heard theyre beasts.

At the very eastern side of Oblivia at the water, there's a probe site. Right nearby (at the water level) there are 3 lvl 56 enemy skells, that are really easy to kill but give massive experience. With the probe site right there it's really easy to farm them.

They hit pretty hard if you're not strong enough to kill them fast, but lvl 30 skells should be plenty enough if you have any decent weaponry.

Or finally, just go to CAULDROS and kill prones lv.45. but its a bit tricky.

Thanks guys! I saw those enemy skells but thought they were out of my league. I'll get the rest of the squad some skells and weaponry and see how that goes.

I have all but two of the probes in Sylvalum. I guess its time to head to Cauldros!

Fishlake

I'm actively thinking about this game when I can not play it. It is so fun having a mech drive around the world. This may even be my favorite RPG at the end of it all. It has sucked me in so much and I love the way the story has played out. The music is amazing as well and just feels epic in combat. The terrain is beautiful in so may ways as well.

I hope these games continue to move in this direction. It feels like the most coherent open world I have ever played.

I wish the had edited the volume on the music at some points though as it can rise up over the voices of the characters at times. That is the only bad thing I have to say about this game though at this time that i feel takes away from the experience.

Haunted

Ah whaaaat noooooooooooooo! I coulda sworn I saw 40. Looks like itll be a while until I can get to 50 so I'll just go ahead and get Lin and my 4th member Skells.

Suggestions? Im not a big fan of the Amdusias since they look bulky and whack but I heard theyre beasts.
The Inferno (second medium model) is a fine replacement if you don't like the looks of the Amdusias or Mastema.

That said, I do think the heavies are simply the strongest in terms of stats, even with the reduced mobility/evasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom