• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

Sneaking around higher level enemies is definitely encouraged, I love doing it, feels great.

Play the game for long enough and you realise the difference between high level enemies just populating parts of the world and high level enemies being specifically placed to prevent you from going somewhere before you're supposed to.

Griss

Does anyone actually ever use the flying drone R+dpad up thingie? It's a neat thing, but I've used it like, once in a hundred hours.

There are actually some settings for this.

I disabled showing the controls (probably something you should wait a bit before doing :D), squad missions (don't care about online) and all the social notifications/BLADE report crap, which basically frees up the entire left side of the UI and only leaves the minimap and quest description during normal gameplay, similar to most other games of this type. If you set the on-foot camera to shove the character towards the right side, it opens up an acceptable portion of the screen to wonder at Mira's beauty.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this now.

I still can't believe this game doesn't explicitly explain how to heal in battle. You'd think they'd at least cover that.

Y-you can heal?!?

Y-you can heal?!?

There are a handful of arts that'll do it, but mostly you heal by landing the B button QTE and by responding to your party's Soul Voices. (When a party member other than you calls out something in a box with coloured text, respond quickly enough by using an art of matching colour. There's an obvious effect with coloured rings and dramatic slowdown if you land it). Both recover some HP; the QTE for the whole party and the Soul Voice for you and the person you responded to.

It does do this when it explains soul challenges/voices but most people skip over the text.

It does? I read everything and I don't remember that at all. I had to go look it up, lol.

Xenoboy

It's pretty dumb that turning off mission notifications on the UI turns off Affinity updates and Affinity descriptions in the chart.

Griss

There are a handful of arts that'll do it, but mostly you heal by landing the B button QTE and by responding to your party's Soul Voices. (When a party member other than you calls out something in a box with coloured text, respond quickly enough by using an art of matching colour. There's an obvious effect with coloured rings and dramatic slowdown if you land it). Both recover some HP; the QTE for the whole party and the Soul Voice for you and the person you responded to.

It does? I read everything and I don't remember that at all. I had to go look it up, lol.

Man, I was wondering what the occasional slow-motion effect was. Thanks!

Oooh I found the Nopon from that one trailer.

tumblr_nelcp47EFU1rj5xt6o1_500.gif

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mws0w.jpg

tengiants

Interesting soundtrack.. Rock, Jazz and R&B?

+hip hop and country in the short 2 minutes that is each of the NLA themes.

NLA theme is such a blend of styles which is why I've determined many don't like it. If you don't happen to like one of those styles, the song sounds like crap. You need to to have a diverse taste to really appreciate it.

Glad I held off buying this, wife got it for me for Christmas!
Enjoying it so far other than the voice acting. Only 4 hours in so it may grow on me.

mjc

Any tips on how to get honey oil from copper ciniculas? I've killed seven at this point and I haven't gotten any. I've targeted it's tail, legs, and head each time. No luck. UUUUUUUUUGH

BY2K

Membero Americo
Any tips on how to get honey oil from copper ciniculas? I've killed seven at this point and I haven't gotten any. I've targeted it's tail, legs, and head each time. No luck. UUUUUUUUUGH

You need to break the head, then the horn, THEN what's inside to get the drop.

-Horizon-

I got frustrated after an hour of trying and redeemed the item with the tickets.

random25

Thanks for the tip ! Is this the "correct" way to play ? Many of them are guarded or in high level zones

Protip: Use Elma, or go FMJ class as MC. Get 1000TP. Go to a blind spot and target an enemy. Use Shadowrunner. Run like hell to the probe spot and hammer the A button fast. Teleport out or just run the hell out of the way. Works also well with infiltration missions.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay what the hell is up with
Cat Lady in that affinity mission with the lion people
?

I can't hit her. Everything misses. What gives?

random25

Okay what the hell is up with
Cat Lady in that affinity mission with the lion people
?

I can't hit her. Everything misses. What gives?

Target first her allies. For some reason, I get a ton of misses when her allies are around. Maybe they're buffing her or something.

Or just use a skell and wipe them off.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Target first her allies. For some reason, I get a ton of misses when her allies are around. Maybe they're buffing her or something.

Or just use a skell and wipe them off.

I did. Still can't hit her for shit. And using Skells feels like cheating considering the context of the fight.

Astral Dog

Ok getting used to the Skell, storming Cauldros before chapter 7 is kinda funny, only one Ambusias is enough that small and medium sized enemies are not any trouble :p

But, those tyrants/big enemies keep killing me by accident you cant avoid them (Anywere), finally had to pay a huge fee. is that always going to happen if they destroy it again or i get a few insurance tickets too? because im going to be poor before long, then its not better to buy more Skells instead,

JulianImp

After thinking that raygun was decent I've finally tried photon sabers, and the melee combo arts are so strong it isn't even funny! Beam Barrage still deals around 2.5K damage five times while melee combos deal 3.5-5K damage per hit for 3, 5 and 9 hits, and there's that melee art that gives me TP for attacking enemies from the front, which is the perfect set-up into all the other melee combos.

I'm still levelling up other classes, but which skills would you recommend for a photon saber-based build? I guess the extra damage from melee combos and extra damage from behind ones are important, right?

random25

I did. Still can't hit her for shit. And using Skells feels like cheating considering the context of the fight.

Actually I tried that method of eliminating first her allies fast. Felt they are doing something at the background when you go first with the main target. It worked when I used that strategy.

How DOES one get insurance tickets?

Daily Division rewards, I guess?

JulianImp

How DOES one get insurance tickets?

By changing divisions into Prospectors, who are really unbalanced and get first place every single day without even trying. I'm still a Curator, though, since not missing the B-prompt and giving AIs your skells once they hit 1 insurance is enough to avoid any costly calamities.

Sadist

That's the correct strategy. I do think she (the cat lady) uses an art during the fight which ups her evasion stats. At a certain point I could damage her easily, but she used something and I couldn't really hit her for 30 seconds or so.

MrDaravon

That reminds me, should I just be grabbing the insurance ticket for the reward every day?

Still plodding along playing here and there, I'm at about 35 hours in at Chapter 5 (I spend a lot of time looking around/exploring), so far I still feel like I'm mostly forcing myself along though. The cast and lack of emotion they have as compared to Xenoblade is really jarring. I like the initial setup and story premise, but I just don't care about any of the characters or what's going on in the slightest, and it seems like half of the dialogue is tatsu = food jokes that I was already sick to death of about 5 hours into the game. So I'm sticking with it now because the world is fun to explore, but with no compelling narrative or characters to push me forward it feels kind of hollow. Thinking more and more I'm just going to beat the core story and probably be done with it, I would have dropped almost any other game like 30 hours ago. Disappointing since I adore Xenoblade to death, nearly 100%'d it (got screwed by a legitimate achievement glitch), and want to grab the n3DS version of it to 100% it again.

Phoenix is life ya'll

If you wanna farm one (or a boat load) along with intergalactic G-Busters look up the scouting terminal for someone with 4 Treasure Seeker XX. The difference is so huge it isn't funny. Ended up with 8 Phoenix and 5 Busters in 25 minutes compared to 40 minutes of nothing before I made the switch.

Absol

Depends how good you are at hitting the prompt whenever your skell gets bopped. That's what I used to pick but I haven't missed the perfect prompts yet. So I just switched to getting 3000 to for all party members.

After thinking that raygun was decent I've finally tried photon sabers, and the melee combo arts are so strong it isn't even funny! Beam Barrage still deals around 2.5K damage five times while melee combos deal 3.5-5K damage per hit for 3, 5 and 9 hits, and there's that melee art that gives me TP for attacking enemies from the front, which is the perfect set-up into all the other melee combos.

I'm still levelling up other classes, but which skills would you recommend for a photon saber-based build? I guess the extra damage from melee combos and extra damage from behind ones are important, right?

Saber has TP problems, so you want to get the Duelist skill that is +60 TP everytime you use a melee art, and/or get the weapon trait Arts: Tp Up.

Nose Master

Nope-ons are drunk. They set up a convoy around an (area and minor side quest spoilers)
ACTIVE VOLCANO where there is a weather effect where it rains magma. Level 70+ mobs everywhere. "Hey, can you take care of these Level 13 mobs 400 feet away, they're attacking us!"

???

Phoenix is life ya'll

If you wanna farm one (or a boat load) along with intergalactic G-Busters look up the scouting terminal for someone with 4 Treasure Seeker XX. The difference is so huge it isn't funny. Ended up with 8 Phoenix and 5 Busters in 25 minutes compared to 40 minutes of nothing before I made the switch.

More like Treasure Seeker is life ya''ll.

Candid and Credible sells armor with it too. There is no upper cap. Some mobs will only drop certain items if you have at least 4 people decked head to toe in TS. ( at least that much TS bonus anyway)

That reminds me, should I just be grabbing the insurance ticket for the reward every day?

Still plodding along playing here and there, I'm at about 35 hours in at Chapter 5 (I spend a lot of time looking around/exploring), so far I still feel like I'm mostly forcing myself along though. The cast and lack of emotion they have as compared to Xenoblade is really jarring. I like the initial setup and story premise, but I just don't care about any of the characters or what's going on in the slightest, and it seems like half of the dialogue is tatsu = food jokes that I was already sick to death of about 5 hours into the game. So I'm sticking with it now because the world is fun to explore, but with no compelling narrative or characters to push me forward it feels kind of hollow. Thinking more and more I'm just going to beat the core story and probably be done with it, I would have dropped almost any other game like 30 hours ago. Disappointing since I adore Xenoblade to death, nearly 100%'d it (got screwed by a legitimate achievement glitch), and want to grab the n3DS version of it to 100% it again.
You don't need insurance tickets really. Once you get your skell, if you manage to wreck it enough times without managing the soul challenge perfectly, you can just give the skell to a teammate, since they always exit with a perfect soul challenge (resulting in no insurance lost). If you manage to lose all the insurances then better just to strip the gear off and resell it to get most of the money back, and buy another skell.
I'd just get the items with which you can heal yourself and your team in ground combat and the equivalent for skell combat.

I think the story was pretty lame before chapter 5 to 6, and the main story is definitely pretty lame after that too, but there have been several pretty interesting normal quests on the side. Some pretty grim ones too.

NeonZ

I don't care for Elma either, and Lin ends up sucked into the Tatsu food jokes, but you still get plenty of varied characterization in Affinity Quests unrelated to those two and even Normal quests.

Astral Dog

After hearing Lin, Elma and Lao talking about eating Tatsu like 100 times, i began to feel a bit fat for the poor potato sack :(

A bunch of savages, im surprised there is no affinity quest where he runs off

rando14

Phoenix is life ya'll

What's the best place to farm Phoenix and busters?

Jackano

What's the best place to farm Phoenix and busters?

I think I got few pretty quickly in Sylvalum, at the entrance of the Prone base toward the N-W corner of the map. That's where you see the "Guard Puges" IIRC. You also need to farm them for the Sylvalum Mia mission.

Pachinko

This kind of worries me , I was legit looking forward to this game but here I am only a few hours in , after the agonizingly long and boring tutorial sections and everything I read paints this kind of picture - you never really get a better story , the characters don't suddenly become interesting and it basically comes down to how much fun you have running around finding stuff and killing other stuff.

Of course I bought this digitally too because nintendo never ships enough copies of anything that might actually sell physical copies ....

The first Xenoblade hooked me almost immediately, soon as you were in the first regular town and just running around exploring with Shulk, Reyn and Fiora I was growing attached to the characters and the neat world. Even when you eventually leave town making it up to the bionis leg (with it's fantastic music) , the open world area feels earned and you're ready for it.

XBC X by comparison is literally 4 hours of reading and listening and then suddenly here's an annoying cute thing and some aliens stolen from fifth element. I can admit I still enjoy exploring and such but it feels like somethings missing here and I can't quite place what. I mean , it's not exactly glowing praise when the game finally opened up and I stopped playing it. Which is partially because even in spite of that long boring tutorial , I can't help but feel like I got the cliffs notes version of how to play the game and still have no idea what I'm doing. Like, I switched classes because the game pretty much told me to and now I have no abilities and my character seems to be much weaker even though I got the best equipment he can equip.

I can't help but feel like everything I dislike about this so far is the direct result of adding in an online component (that no one anywhere asked for).

So is it worth continuing or is there really never a point to anything I do in this game beyond exploration ?

Haunted

After hearing Lin, Elma and Lao talking about eating Tatsu like 100 times, i began to feel a bit fat for the poor potato sack :(

A bunch of savages, im surprised there is no affinity quest where he runs off
With how dark some of the missions can get, I'm surprised there was no decision where I could've just cooked him in a pot.

I'd do it in a heartbeat to get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom