• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandangox

ugh final boss

these fucking chimeras, and I was finally about to kill the queen chimera and I get killed and stupid Lin revives HB instead of me.

Unlocked the Skell licence quest. Earlier in the game than I expected. I'd done so much exploring and other questing that I instantly passed three parts of it, and a fourth will come as soon as the next money tick does.

In Noctilum, is it possible to get onto the
Nopon Braid Bridge
on foot? I tried for a while and couldn't find a way.

Renewed

Unlocked the Skell licence quest. Earlier in the game than I expected. I'd done so much exploring and other questing that I instantly passed three parts of it, and a fourth will come as soon as the next money tick does.

Nopon Braid Bridge

Yes, trace the bridge back to the Skybound Coil Tree. You go inside and ascend up to the bridge.

The Goat

Nopon Braid Bridge

I believe I was just there, and all my travels are on foot, so yes, you can. The sea to sky tree coils up to it. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong area.

Yes, trace the bridge back to the Skybound Coil Tree. You go inside and ascend up to the bridge.

I believe I was just there, and all my travels are on foot, so yes, you can. The sea to sky tree coils up to it. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong area.

I thought I had heard of some tree that coils up to it, but I couldn't find it for some reason. It's probably obvious and I just missed it. I'll try again next time.

TheMoon

So is there anyway to have audio play through headphones without completely having the display set to the gamepad? I'd like to still be able to see the map while using headphones.

The answer is still no. (covered in the FAQ in the OP)

Can someone explain the multiplayer part of the game to me? I know you can "hire" NPC versions of peoples avatars but can you actually play with them instead of A.I. controlled ones?

Online, too, is explained in the OP with a good rundown of things in the linked reddit post there.

You guys could have it so easy :D

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The answer is still no. (covered in the FAQ in the OP)

Online, too, is explained in the OP with a good rundown of things in the linked reddit post there.

You guys could have it so easy :D
Dude, complaining about not reading op is kinda useless, nobody got time for that. :3

Sorry i mean Chapter. 10.

Ah. I blew off pieces first and then concentrated on the main body, seemed to work out. It's pretty much my strategy for any multi-part boss though lol. They tend to lose attacks, including some nasty stat ailments. Also try to get and equip anti mods for the type of boss it is.

Holy fuck when this bullshit end? (chapter 12)

Beat the Vita twice and 3 skells blew up, had that crazy mob encounter and the blew up the last one. Took a few tries but I managed to get an overdrive going and I killed all of them. Then I've got this final final boss with a fuck ton of health and I'm skell-less.

I don't even know if that's the last of it. What the hell were they thinking?

I reached level 50 and the option of buying level 50 Skells is available to me.

Worth it or should I wait till post-game for the level 60 Skells?
Is Alexa near 4 hearts affinity? If so I'd get her to 4 hearts and make the level 60 frame unlocked after the affinity mission (do note it is not great stats compared to postgame level 60 frames but is available before story completion and costs very few materials to make). Otherwise buy one level 50 frame and then if you got bored of having too much money you can consider more but you really don't need more.

I can't say anything about the really endgame Skells, but that one is a massive outlier among the Ares 90's Arts. The next highest is like 200 and the others around 50. There are still three Skell Frames that are labelled ??? in my AM terminal, maybe those get more insane but I'm not even close to them, I think.
The bottom 3 frames are located at the bottom as they are to do with the "DLC" [in Japan, all included here] characters; two of them are level 30 frames (one of which looks cool but level 30 :( ) and one level 60 frame. They are better than what you get in the shop, cheap material costs too.

If you want to see more Skells arts that use a tonne of fuel the super weapons are those (mechanical 5 chests and quest rewards for blueprints, one affinity mission gives you one outright).

IAiwtZH.png

You can throw another storage probe into the linked group at the top left if you have one. There's at least two more than are shown here in the game. The main issue is finding all four duplicator probes and the booster probes.
For a second opinion 105k can be done using two duplicators as follows:
WVW69irgebAuyOEplT

Add last two storage to an end for a 3 combo and it becomes 116k. I guess I should tweak it some more to see if I can improve it. I know you can get to 120k if you use 4 duplicators and 4 boosters but I like leaving two duplicators and two boosters free for spots on obliva and cauldros which you can use for revenue with research or battle probes (I'm lazy so just leave mine in Caludros).

Where do I get storage probes from? I'm legit in dire need of money.
Storage doesn't help money. Research and duplicator is money. Not to mention finding sightseeing spots.

But if you meant storage some are from story chapter completion, there are some from the quests Kirsty gives (which are also gated by story), 2 are from mechanical 5 chests (abyss in Sylvalim and south of FN 514), 1 from collectopedia (100% Caludros)

Wichu

Beat the Vita twice and 3 skells blew up, had that crazy mob encounter and the blew up the last one. Took a few tries but I managed to get an overdrive going and I killed all of them. Then I've got this final final boss with a fuck ton of health and I'm skell-less.

I beat that boss Skell-less at level 50ish. I switched to Galactic Knight and just wailed on the boss, ignoring all the minions. Didn't take too long for it to go down.

Normal Quest Story Spoilers:

The Ma-non murders quest was amazing. Everything from the sudden and unexpected trigger of a cutscene where I become an eyewitness in a homicide investigation, to the battle with the perpetrator, I was completely amazed that this intriguing little story was tucked away in the gameworld.

This game has some really awesome (and sometimes surprisingly dark) sidequests.

Haunted

Oh god, lvl 60 is the max?

And here I was all ready to go and just play more to outlevel and brute force the late game monsters.

If I'm 30 lvls below the monsters I'm going to have to master the overdrive system and tech very specific augments after all. ;_;

Time to read some guides online.

Normal Quest Story Spoilers:

The Ma-non murders quest was amazing. Everything from the sudden and unexpected trigger of a cutscene where I become an eyewitness in a homicide investigation, to the battle with the perpetrator, I was completely amazed that this intriguing little story was tucked away in the gameworld.

This game has some really awesome (and sometimes surprisingly dark) sidequests.
It really does.

R00bot

Against Lao your skells automatically get their fuel emptied every time you enter them, so you have to do it on foot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Nohar

Unlocked the Skells.

Well, this isn't the same game. Skells are wonderful. Skells are life. I am never leaving that cockpit.

So despite spending 60 telethia stem cells and supposedly getting 50...I still went over 99 and had a load sold. Does the game give you a bonus based on RP...really should have paid attention to how many cells it said I was given to answer that one :(.

Against Lao your skells automatically get their fuel emptied every time you enter them, so you have to do it on foot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
(final boss)
That stops happening later in the fight but you're still going to be nearly empty so hope it only takes a few shots to win at that point

Grinding for augments is suffering.
Pick your poison, global nemesis appendage farming (which include blade medal farming) and ticket your way through it or conventional, kill return to skell and repeat.

Recommended to do a mix of both as cost with tickets alone are noticeable.

If my character levels up does their skell level up too?
Skell frames are fixed at level 20, 30, 50 and 60. The levels only exist to gate what they can equip.

So what if my Skell isn't powerful enough to defeat a boss and I can't really equip any more powerful weapons?
Or you get better weapons in your level range. For example enemies drop more power G-Buster than the ones the shop sells.

There is also using augments to boost damage. Slayer augments are pretty cheap to make.

Griss

Anyone else playing this for the first time as their Christmas Day game?

I've put about 3/4 hours into it, and man, I can already tell that I'm going to love this game. The first hour was absolutely joyous, it had me giggling with anticipation. I can also tell that it's going to be quite flawed, but I'll live with that.

Some of my initial thoughts:
Hour 1:
-The opening cutscene is very strong. Quickly and clearly establishes the setting for the game and makes it interesting. Sets up the threat to humanity and your character's origin story quickly as well.
-Then the opening with Elma finding you is good as well, because you're quickly into battle and then into the ludicrously spectacular world. I mean, the world design here is un-fucking-believable. Running back to NLA was a joy, one of my favourite moments in all of gaming this year. Just stunned at what I was seeing coming out of the Wii U. That entire hour to begin with was so, so good.
-Some flaws were already apparent though. Having a mute mannequin at the heart of the story sucks from moment 1. Elma's voice actress speaks so slowly, and close to monotonously. The charm of the story and British voices from Xenoblade 1 just isn't there. Luckily I was aware of this going in, but it's still disappointing.
-On the other hand, I was prepared to hate the soundtrack, but I have to eat some crow here, it's bombastic and awesome. Very surprised.

Hour 2:
-Hour 2 was really weak, as the clever pacing of the opening devolves into an endless tour of NLA that could have been four times as short as it was. It's funny to me that the game explains almost nothing about the battle system, but makes absofucking-lutely sure you know where the shop is. Whatever, though, it's a complicated game, it's bound to have some down time.
-Lin is nothing like the character I expected she'd be. That's actually not a bad thing. I was expecting a 'Am I kawaii UGUU' monstrosity.
-Holy SHIT the music, can I regurgitate the crow I tasted earlier? Because the NLA themes are horrible. Not only that, but they're intrusive and even play over some dialogue.
-The mute main character appears to be a worse decision with every meeting he blankly stares his way though.
-NLA itself is spectacular. I like the way all the important stuff is clustered around the East Gate for quick access. No doubt that will be important.

Hour 3:
-Finally back out exploring the fields, and placing my first probe. This is glorious. The battle system seems to have gotten a bunch of improvements from Xenoblade (which was ultimately too simplistic for me), I'm loving it at the moment.
-The animal design is out of this world.
-I'm noticing the poor resolution more than I thought I would. The game is so beautiful it feels like a tragedy that it's not in 1080p. Then again, even in 720p it's about 100 times better looking than Fallout 4 so I won't complain.
-The UI is a bit of a nightmare. It's over-busy, much of it is unexplained, and gives you a really small 'viewport' that isn't obstructed by UI. I wish different parts of it could be toggled.
-The more I play the game, the more I wish I could switch to Japanese voices. The American ones aren't terrible, but... something feels off, from the pacing of conversations to the lip-syncing. 1080p remaster with dual audio and custom UI when?!?
-I am getting my ass kicked repeatedly. Part of that is becuase it's just so much fun to see a big, higher level indigen and say 'Eff it, let's give this a shot', but also because there are a ton of systems left unexplained here, like the topple system or skills. This is possibly bad game design (in a vacuum), but I'm going to enjoy unpacking all that the game has to offer and love the fact that the game appears to be so deep so it's a bonus rather than a negative to me.
-The fact that the gamepad doesn't output audio unless you have it as off-TV play is disappointing.

Going to get back to it now. So far I love it to bits, while ackowledging that a bunch of the negatives I was expecting to be there are in fact there. But a game like this where you explore a massive alien world is basically made to measure for me, so the gamepad would have to squirt sulfuric acid into my eyes or something to make me stop enjoying this one.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm gonna have to run around Oblivia and get all the sightseeing sites because I'm making cash way too slowly.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Pick your poison, global nemesis appendage farming (which include blade medal farming) and ticket your way through it or conventional, kill return to skell and repeat.
Trying to save what I haphazardly get for the sexy armor you can craft after beating the game. :(

So much to do after beating the game.

combat really takes a hit when in skell

Its too bad youre basically forced to use skell combat in the endgame, would have preferred on foot options as well

Wow... To get chapter 6 (?) I have to do the quest "a friend in need" or something and discover like 20 % or noctilium. Everything there wrecks me, I'm lvl 20. Did like the 5/6 ? only character quest available. Any tip of what I should be doing ?

Haunted

Does anyone actually ever use the flying drone R+dpad up thingie? It's a neat thing, but I've used it like, once in a hundred hours.

-The UI is a bit of a nightmare. It's over-busy, much of it is unexplained, and gives you a really small 'viewport' that isn't obstructed by UI. I wish different parts of it could be toggled.
There are actually some settings for this.

I disabled showing the controls (probably something you should wait a bit before doing :D), squad missions (don't care about online) and all the social notifications/BLADE report crap, which basically frees up the entire left side of the UI and only leaves the minimap and quest description during normal gameplay, similar to most other games of this type. If you set the on-foot camera to shove the character towards the right side, it opens up an acceptable portion of the screen to wonder at Mira's beauty.

Jisgsaw

Wow... To get chapter 6 (?) I have to do the quest "a friend in need" or something and discover like 20 % or noctilium. Everything there wrecks me, I'm lvl 20. Did like the 5/6 ? only character quest available. Any tip of what I should be doing ?

Run to every data probe sit.
Try to open every wreckage you find.

Getting to 20% isn't too hard, finding all data probe sites that don't require a skell is usually almost enough.

Run to every data probe sit.
Try to open every wreckage you find.

Getting to 20% isn't too hard, finding all data probe sites that don't require a skell is usually almost enough.
Thanks for the tip ! Is this the "correct" way to play ? Many of them are guarded or in high level zones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom