• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Ultimadrago

5 or 6 might be the closest in this regard. 5 features several factions since each character starts in a different city, so different Yakuza factions are represented. But I'd say 6 is closer in terms of all out war, it heavily features the Tojo Clan, Chinese Mafia and Hiroshima Mafia fighting each other. Oh, and while they play a smaller roll, the (story spoilers)
Korean mafia - the Jingwon also appear which was a nice nod to Yakuza 2
. Also, you have another gang that plays a prominent roll in Yakuza 6's Gang creator side missions.

Thanks! I didn't read the spoilers, but that sounds promising.

Let me take a stab at this.

Yes, it's a prequel that was meant for newcomers and fans alike. There are subtle nods here and there for fans (like some moves/styles being the more unrefined versions of what you see in future games and stuff like that) but you don't need to know about the sequels to enjoy the story.

This is more of a DMC3 kind of prequel than the MGS3 kind.

Talking about the series as a whole, the main story is mostly serious especially during the later parts of the games. But, I've played every home console game in the series (bar Yakuza 2) and I can't remember ever not being entertained by the sub-stories of the series, in some way or fashion. They are really fun.

In regards to Y0 itself, while I haven't played the game yet, in the EZA stream they showed the beginning of one of these stories and it was the sub-story number
. So yeah, there should be plenty of these fun sub-stories in the game.

Shadow already covered this one nicely, but I just wanted to add that there is never a moment like in Mafia 1 where you prepare and go after the rival gangs and stuff like that. The series is mostly focused on stories revolving around individuals who are at these organizations or have ties with them. And while at some point you have to go against rival gangs it's always more of a one versus one (or twenty depending on the situation) dial rather than gang versus gang.

Expect for that one mini-game in Yakuza 6. In that one your gang literally fights other rival groups.

Oh, wow thanks for all of the comprehensive information (on top of the already amazing OP written here). I'm pre-ordering from Amazon now!

^^You are killing me David. Stop it!
pls don't :)
Oh, wow thanks for all of the comprehensive information (on top of the already amazing OP written here). I'm pre-ordering from Amazon now!
gWFmsaWfZ.gif

datwr

If I'm lucky and my store does what it usually does and sent it in good time I maybe get it on Friday!
They have been surprisingly consistent with game releases on Tuesdays, so holding my thumbs :)

Hamster0

I pre-ordered mine a few months back, but shipping says I would be receiving 1 week after release.

Is this normal for pre-orders? I've never pre-ordered off amazon before

Hamster0

Not normal as far as I know. You might want to get in contact with them.

cool, thanks. I'll contact them tomorrow. It's Amazon Canada, if it makes any difference

Edit: Spoke with amazon, apparently I needed to select Two-day shipping to get it on release day, and not standard. I guess I should have read more

He made his choice, albeit regretable, but let's leave him be, the barrage of responds to that post was a bit too much in my opinion.

YakuzaGAF is better than that right!?

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_3x10vm4f9jc4kg4g8kgkgo08o_640.gif

YakuzaGAF can be brutal, bro. Did you know in my spare time I like to punch tigers in the face for fun?

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Hey guys, Sam Mullen here, producer at Atlus USA managing SEGA's JP lineup. I keep seeing this restated and I feel like it's causing a lot of misunderstanding, so I want to just set the record straight once and for all.

Sony has been an amazing partner, and we infinitely appreciate all their help and attention to this series. Without them, Y5 wouldn't have made it.

But their third party production team's involvement was limited to Yakuza 5. They have no involvement with 0, Kiwami, or Yakuza 6. For that, please direct all your love towards Atlus USA and SEGA themselves.

And keep rockin' YakuzaGAF. See you all in the 24th.

Wow,thanks for taking this series to western!
How big is your team compare to SEGA-Taiwan-Localization-Team which build this year?

And seems Yakuza change to "Console exclusive" come to western.
Maybe a good idea to sell more in western.

Sony take this series to China and give it another 200k+ market, hope you also could
make it at western!

(I really hope you could make it because consider the political mistake and quality of Yakuza 6, plus "wait PC pirate" in the future , this series may bomb here next time.)

skynidas

Banned
Ok guys, I make weekly videos with the games coming out for PlayStation and I've decided that I am going to put Yakuza Zero as the big game coming out next week, over RE6 and KH.

But I wanted to ask you guys what do you think the best 30 seconds I could put to showcase Yakuza Zero?

Here is this week's video so you can see what I do: https://youtu.be/k9LwHW434k4

Ok guys, I make weekly videos with the games coming out for PlayStation and I've decided that I am going to put Yakuza Zero as the big game coming out next week, over RE6 and KH.

But I wanted to ask you guys what do you think the best 30 seconds I could put to showcase Yakuza Zero?

Here is this week's video so you can see what I do: https://youtu.be/k9LwHW434k4

I feel like you'd be fine just using footage from the trailers that SEGA/Atlus has put out for the game so far. Includes some fantastic moments that are cool to look at and don't give much away story wise.

Like jumping into the bathroom from the window, dropkicking a dude through the window, having fights with dudes, showing off the combat system and some heat moves etc.

Sell me on this game. Why should I have reason to want to buy this? I'm curious about this game, but I already have Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Breath of the Wild on my to buy list.

Playing the US release and they did not censor or remove any content from what I can tell. Most of it is funny or in context just goofy, and I've beem taking screenshots of my favorite stuff and I bet I wont be the only one.

Your concern about 'triggering' people is interesting but it probably is good for buyers to be aware that while there is no nudity there is a lot of side missions that involve the sex industry and while it doesn't go into descriptions there are rape and torture victims in the story.

The amusing context might get some lol wtf reactions but content wise it's actually fairly mild compared to something like The Witcher, or amy ten minutes of Trevor from GTAV

I would like to know about the following substories:

Majima's opening line when talking to the guy with the son he cant talk to.(intentionally being vague to avoid spoilers) Chapter 3 quest. In the Japanese most of his lines when approaching the son make him look like a pedophile.

Or kiryu's lines when the elementary school girl wants to give him something like lovers do. Chapter 2 I think.

From your post it sounds like the high school students being bullied into selling their stuff is still in. Can you be a creep?

Can you still avoid women to buy a boy a magazine and give him advice on where to read and store it?

I agree that the main story isn't so bad other than dealing with the sex trade.

Sell me on this game. Why should I have reason to want to buy this? I'm curious about this game, but I already have Horizon Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda, and Breath of the Wild on my to buy list.

An open world game that's not particularly large but makes up for it in spades with density. An incredible amount of side activities that you can take part in.

A fantastic and very deep combat system. With 2 separate protagonists that each have 3 styles that can be switched at will and have separate trees to upgrade, it features a very robust and incredibly entertaining battle system.

Name japanese games that aren't RPGs or Action games and actually try to go for a realistic setting with realistic characters. Go ahead, I'll wait.......................
Yakuza is one of those games.

The story is just fantastic filled with twists and mystery and BADASS characters and awesome setpieces. The characters are very entertaining as well.

The 2 protagonists couldn't be more different yet are so fucking amazing that they each get their own trailer. Kiryu Kazuma and Goro Majima.

It's one of the few games that I've played that legitimately make me feel like I'm in a living breathing city and you'd think with how many open world games that are out there this wouldn't be so rare but other worlds simply go for massive sandboxes with some landmarks with the rest just modeling to imitate a city but they don't actually give you that feeling of BEING in that city.

Have I mentioned the combat? Because even if I have, I'm coming back to it. There are next to no big console releases out there that offer a beat em' up gameplay system and especially not with this level of depth.

It's one of the few games that I've played that legitimately make me feel like I'm in a living breathing city and you'd think with how many open world games that are out there this wouldn't be so rare but other worlds simply go for massive sandboxes with some landmarks with the rest just modeling to imitate a city but they don't actually give you that feeling of BEING in that city.

Having being to all the locations in the games minus Sapporo and now Hiroshima, they really capture the areas well without being exact copies.

I recently went to Kamarakucho and I instantly recognized it and it's landmarks before realizing where I was.

bluethree

Having being to all the locations in the games minus Sapporo and now Hiroshima, they really capture the areas well without being exact copies.

I recently went to Kamarakucho and I instantly recognized it and it's landmarks before realizing where I was.

I especially like 5's recreation of Fukuoka.

Vlodril

anyone knows why i cant find it on the eu store (greece). i can see it in amazon for preorder or the ps psn store but it seems to be missing from the eu.

Peroroncino

I'm interested in how the story drama is structured as well. Out of curiosity, which of the titles in the series is the closest to all-out gang warfare and multiple factions if any? I'm not planning to skip or anything, but I wanted to know. Perhaps none are like this, which is fine too.

Practically in every game there's a major battle or battles against enemy faction or factions, some are bigger, some are smaller, but there are moments when for example an entire chinese mafia goes out in force to the streets and you need to disptach them, or when you go with your 4 bros to totally wreck some shit.

But it's usually more like 1 to 4 vs 50+ instead of a 50 vs 50.

MYeager

I would like to know about the following substories:

Majima's opening line when talking to the guy with the son he cant talk to.(intentionally being vague to avoid spoilers) Chapter 3 quest. In the Japanese most of his lines when approaching the son make him look like a pedophile.

Or kiryu's lines when the elementary school girl wants to give him something like lovers do. Chapter 2 I think.

From your post it sounds like the high school students being bullied into selling their stuff is still in. Can you be a creep?

Can you still avoid women to buy a boy a magazine and give him advice on where to read and store it?

I agree that the main story isn't so bad other than dealing with the sex trade.

Is the first one a sub story? I don't remember a main line plot point in chapter three with that. There's the girl outside of Club SEGA.

That was a lot of hours ago but if I remember right Kiryu acts like it's nothing and says something like 'Er, okay.'

Yes, I don't want to spoil it but it's pretty amusing but there's some confusion over what she's selling and what Kiryu is buying.

Yes! That one has some really great lines in it as well.

Mostly they come of as odd, but that Kiryu is trying to help people and do the right thing and typically it turns out sweet instead of creepy. Except for one where the ending is an abuse sex worker agrees to marry her abuser and they all have a good laugh. That one is kinda messed up.

So i pre-ordered this a while ago, and i'm kind of curious about something. Is it possible to leave the story alone, and just do mini games and get loads of money for a couple of hours?

So i pre-ordered this a while ago, and i'm kind of curious about something. Is it possible to leave the story alone, and just do mini games and get loads of money for a couple of hours?

That's been the case for practically every Yakuza game so I don't see it changing here. If anything, that's been one of the appealing things for me about this franchise.

delSai

With this pretty much right around the corner i dont have any motivation to play anything else. Man how i wish this was coming out this week.

BigEmil

As much as I hate getting off my ass to change discs, that ain't worth a tenner......

Can't remember which one out of Base and TGC are better for release day deliveries.....
They're both good and about the same you either get it on day of release or one day before release I never got orders from them late

chefbags

It's kind of unrelated but seeing that yakuza keeps getting localized, do you think they'll ever localize yakuza ishin?

I really want to play some yakuza samurai with English subs lol.

Had a friend who was excited about this game but I wasn't necessarily convinced. This thread tipped me over the edge - this will be my first Yakuza game.

Yakuza 0 (PS4)
£39.99 - Quantity: 1
This item will be released on January 24, 2017.
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

My brother who lives in Japan brought the PS3 version over the Christmas break and he was mostly playing the Majima hostess game and the Kiryu property manager game when I saw him play it. You have to get a couple of chapters in first, but you can take a pause from the story and get rich.

I just ordered for in-store pickup at Best Buy. I was going to wait a bit, but decided I wanted to make sure I got the M-F'in Business Edition!!!

Yakuza 3 is the only one that I've actually ever played, but I do have 4 and 5 sitting on my PS3 because of PS+, so someday I will play those. I also have an unopened copy of Dead Souls sitting on my shelf. I found it for super cheap a couple of years ago.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Had a friend who was excited about this game but I wasn't necessarily convinced. This thread tipped me over the edge - this will be my first Yakuza game.

Yakuza 0 (PS4)
£39.99 - Quantity: 1
This item will be released on January 24, 2017.
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
Man, I wanted to preorder from amazon.uk to save a bit but they removed the free shipping outside of the uk. -_-

MYeager

Yes I spent several hours just starting collections with Kiryu, and while waiting would do the friendship/substory stuff and then head back, harvest my cash, start it over and repeat. When you have two full locations in the property management game going you can make a lot of money really fast.

Top Bottom