• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Don't!

Wait for Y0 and then play Yakuza 3 in anticipation for Kiwami a few months down the line.

I actually love Yakuza 3, but I agree with the post above. Play the prequel first if you haven't played the Yakuza series before, then play Kiwami and then Yakuza 3.

If you can find Yakuza 2 then play it, too. It's my favorite in the series.

Don't!

Wait for Y0 and then play Yakuza 3 in anticipation for Kiwami a few months down the line.

What the hell is Kiwami?

Also, holy shit at 40+ hours for Yakuza 5. That one's going on the backburner for a while.

I actually love Yakuza 3, but I agree with the post above. Play the prequel first if you haven't played the Yakuza series before, then play Kiwami and then Yakuza 3.

If you can find Yakuza 2 then play it, too. It's my favorite in the series.

All I've played is 4 which I beat earlier this week.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
What difficult does everyone recommend for first time players for the most fun, but mildly challenging gameplay?

SephLuis

Ah, that sucks. Does the 1+2 remake for PS3 in japan have english subtitles at all?

That was a HD version of both games and was never localized.

Kiwami uses Yakuza 0 assets and base combat to recreate the first game. There's also a few new scenes to better explain the motivations behind some characters.

That's not a remake, also no.

Those are remasters, Kiwami is a legit remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtiixXPHbUY

btw. wait until next week and play 0, seriously, that's the best thing to do right now.

That was a HD version of both games and was never localized.

Kiwami uses Yakuza 0 assets and base combat to recreate the first game. There's also a few new scenes to better explain the motivations behind some characters.
Sorry didn't mean remake, I'm like half awake right now. I guess I'll just wait and shelve it then since everyone thinks it's a bad idea. At least I have a copy for now.

All I've played is 4 which I beat earlier this week.
Yeah, I actually saw your posts in Y4 OT and that's why I said you shouldn't play Y3 for now. Wait for Y0, finish it and then come back to Y3 a couple of months later. Playing many Yakuza games in quick succession is not recommended.

What difficult does everyone recommend for first time players for the most fun, but mildly challenging gameplay?
Are you familiar with action games? If so then go for Hard. I think most of the Yakuza fans are starting with that as well, cause the Normal difficulty is apparently not really challenging.

Though, if you do decide to start with Hard, then make sure you always have a bunch of health items in your inventory just in case. You can also change the difficultly anytime from the menus so it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Yeah, I actually saw your posts in Y4 OT and that's why I said you shouldn't play Y3 for now. Wait for Y0, finish it and then come back to Y3 a couple of months later. Playing many Yakuza games in quick succession is not recommended.

Are you familiar with action games? If so then go for Hard. I think most of the Yakuza fans are starting with that as well, cause the Normal difficulty is apparently not really challenging.

Though, if you do decide to start with Hard, then make sure you always have a bunch of health items in your inventory just in case. You can also change the difficultly anytime from the menus so it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

I want to because I really liked the story but yeah that's why I definitely wasn't playing 5 since I don't want to burn out. 3 finally arrived today and is shorter than 4 so I was thinking I could finish it in a weekend potentially. Do we know how long zero will be?

SephLuis

I want to because I really liked the story but yeah that's why I definitely wasn't playing 5 since I don't want to burn out. 3 finally arrived today and is shorter than 4 so I was thinking I could finish it in a weekend potentially. Do we know how long zero will be?

Main story is around 20 hours long. If you decide to do sidequests and other activities (which is highly recommended) you can go up the 80 hours.

You should definitely play Yakuza 3 down the line cause it's a very good game
(better than Y5 imo)
but for now just focus on Zero. Yakuza 3 is a shorter game than Y4 but you could still feel burnt out playing three Yakuza games back to back.

In regards to the length of Y0, I think SephLuis covered that bit nicely.

farisr

So just returned a pair of defective headphones to amazon that I bought even though I didn't need them, and ordered this and Gravity Rush 2 for the same amount of money.

This'll be the fourth Yakuza game I own (sort of) but the first one I actually play, LOL.

Yakuza 4 (PS+)
Yakuza 5 (preordered as soon as it went up on PSN to show support)
Yakuza 3 (saw a really cheap, brand new copy on sale, bought it, intended to start with this after watching a recap of 1 and 2)

Never got around to playing any of them, partly due to them being on PS3, and partly due to being a bit intimidated in regards to just how many games there have been.

This however, I have nothing holding me back due to it being on ps4, it being a prequel and kiwami coming up in the summer. I hope others that haven't played any of the games yet feel the same way and jump in with this one, making this a great success in the west leading to them greenlighting a remake of 2 as well.

i really really wish that the minigames had local multiplayer. i don't think i would have as much fun playing them as if i didn't have someone with me who could play them too

So happy the game is being so well received, this has been my favorite thread in GAF to lurk for the past month. I have a good feeling this will sell very well (as well as it could anyway) :)

Jimrpg

Debating getting this but wtf re7, nioh, tales zelda, nier, horizon? Too many games over the next month...

Easy! Get the bolded for now.

Yakuza 0 - Fun easy game with lots of story.

Nioh - Hard action game that'll test your skill.

RE7 - will get discounted for sure.

Tales - play an old one in the meantime or wait for the steam version.

Zelda - comes out in March.

Nier - try the demo first

Horizon - Wait and see on this one.

Slaythe

Horizon - nah.

Stop that, Horizon gonna be bae.

For me it's gonna be :

Yakuza, Nier, Horizon, Kh 1.5+2.5, persona 5

Horizon - nah.

i imagine yakuza would get discounted in the same time frame as RE7!

Jimrpg

i imagine yakuza would get discounted in the same time frame as RE7!

That is true. The digital version will probably get discounted before Yakuza Kiwami in the summer.

No idea about a discount on the physical version, I guess they're printing more of it now seeing as its sold out everywhere and that's a good sign.

That is true. The digital version will probably get discounted before Yakuza Kiwami in the summer.

No idea about a discount on the physical version, I guess they're printing more of it now seeing as its sold out everywhere and that's a good sign.

its not even about the price for me anyways, its finding the time to play all these games

Slaythe

I was so bored in Killzone Shadowfall and Horizon is by the same dev. So I'll wait and see on Horizon.

Sega made Sonic 2006.

That's not stopping you from buying Yakuza ?

I mean you do realize it's a game that has literally nothing in common with Shadowfall, not even its genre, so that's a weird comment to make.

I can respect the wait and see approach though, virtually no preview or footage has indicated it would be anything like shadowfall. Hopefully it turns out great !

ZeroX03

Banned
Sega made Sonic 2006.

I mean you do realize it's a game that has literally nothing in common with Shadowfall, not even its genre, so that's a weird comment to make.

I can respect the wait and see approach though, virtually no preview or footage has indicated it would be anything like shadowfall. Hopefully it turns out great !

Sega has more teams and more employees, and you know... they've made good games in the past. Yakuza team has a great track record up until recently, Guerrilla Games has a terrible track record and Killzone Shadow Fall is a recent example of such.

Yakuza 0 is a known quantity. We know it's good. There's good reason to be wary of Horizon's quality until the reviews hit and the game comes out.

Jimrpg

Sega made Sonic 2006.

I don't think Nagoshis team made Sonic and even if they did they have a good track record with the Yakuza games.

And I root for every games success. My initial comment was more from the point of view that there are heaps of games to buy and I'd honestly wait and see about Horizon, even well after the hype dies down on that one and see what type of mid game/end game it has.

Also I'll try in the future and not be as dimissive as I was.

I could have sworn I saw it for pre-order for $50.99 on amazon, but now that seems to be gone???

Anyone know if it was a limited time deal or something?

probably. if you have prime it's the same price ($47.99) it would have been at $50.99 (they don't pro-rate, it's just 20% off the list price for prime). $50.99 would only benefit you if you didnt have prime

Top Bottom