• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0. 1/24/17 Less than a month to go. Let's make a difference.

Peroroncino

I don't know what Shenmue is either :(

Do you have the time? If so then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkN9oru-qCQ

Watch at least from 0:02:50 where he talks about GTA comparisons.

wow SEGA launched an official Yakuza twitter page. sounds like interest in the game is good =)

I think SEGA is jumping on the Yakuza train big time after Y0's critical acclaim, man am I glad for YakuzaGAF going all out in trying to spread awareness, I hope we contributed at least a little to the current turn of events, and what a beautiful turn it is, oh boy.

So... let's send them barrage of tweets regarding Ishin release huh?

JJShadow

Ah okay, would you have any idea why the trophies wont sync then?

I've never had it on a game I've received early before.

It's something usual when you unlock trophies a few days ahead of release date, they are still not visible but you will have them there once the trophy list is unlocked. Happened to me with FF XV as well

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
No. it's closer to Shenmue. There's no stealing cars or killing pedestrians.

I honestly wouldn't compare Yakuza to Shenmue to be honest. They are very different games especially at their core and does both series a disservice tbh.

Lucumo

I think SEGA is jumping on the Yakuza train big time after Y0's critical acclaim, man am I glad for YakuzaGAF going all out in trying to spread awareness, I hope we contributed at least a little to the current turn of events, and what a beautiful turn it is, oh boy.

Yep, would be awesome if the ball started rolling. Some merchandise would be neat too (and maybe a physical collection which includes 0-6 +- outliers :p).

I played the demo for 3 back in the day but other than that I have not really touched or looked into the series. But part of me has always had an interest for it.

So I preordered Yakuza 0 yesterday. With the remake of the original just around the corner, and 6 next year, it just seemed like the perfect time. I can't wait.

It definitely does feel like there is more interest towards the series right now, which is great.

Could someone Yakuza up my avatar?
oRmQyHSGQ.png

is there likely to be an OT for the western release of 0?.
Yes, it'll be up on release date.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It's something usual when you unlock trophies a few days ahead of release date, they are still not visible but you will have them there once the trophy list is unlocked. Happened to me with FF XV as well

Ah, thats good to know thanks.

And bought.

Gonna have to fight between GR2 and KH2.8, but its certainly one of my top priorities.

I only wish I had success convincing my friends to try it out...

yoplay

Put my PSN account on the buy/trade thread. It includes this game plus others and a hefty wallet $. Will no longer have internet at home. My loss is someone's gain.

jrush64

Banned
Purchased Yakuza 0, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and Tales of Berseria. Will get Gravity Rush 2 when price drops or something.

Haven't finished Yakuza 5 though, not really feeling it.

I've played them all still need to finish yakuza 5 though

seems like alot of ppl got side tracked w/ 5 myself included. plus all the retro games i grabbed recently Y5 got buried in the backlog. i'm stoked for 0 and haven't been on retroGAF much the last week cause of this =P

The past few weekends my brother and I have been working our way through 5 to finish it in time for Tuesday.

Just completed all sub stories with the exception of the very last one and just the last chapter of the finale to complete. Looking set to finish it tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to win 5 in the OT when it came out thanks to my cat Kazuma.

Yes yes yes. I really want to play Ishin in English, hope Sega consider to localize it

Past

ZoominGames just recently made "a 10 things that will make you love the Yakuza series" video and it's getting a lot of views so far:

https://youtu.be/bEf0m3i-PkE

I am so happy that so many big YouTubers are finally hyping the Yakuza series with the release of 0.

i continue to insist sony/sega missed an opportunity in not localizing ishin in 2014 when ps4 had a software dryspell

Jimrpg

I went ahead and ordered Ishin. I would love for them to bring out Kenzan and Ishin to the west on the PS4. Playing thru Kenzan now on PS3, the game totally holds up. The graphics are beautiful (for a 2008 game) and art direction as per all Yakuza games is spot on.

I think if people want to go the extra mile and support the series, they should also buy these games too, if they're not concerned about it being in Japanese. If Zero sells well like 100-200k and some of that translates like (5%) to Kenzan, Ishin sales, Sega will get quite a shock!

Yakuza non-OT thread with 45 pages, so many people jumping in for the first time, great reviews, sold out on amazon... shiiiit, is this even real life?

I bet some guys at SEGA must be shocked right now.

When I made the thread, I didn't think we'd get past 10 pages at best. I wonder what the other Yakuza old timers think? But there have been lots of posts here from long time Yakuza fans that either skipped a game or two or haven't posted about Yakuza in a while and suddenly everyone feel like they need to jump back in. Combined that with the excellent job Sega and Atlus have done to get the word out with prominent youtubers and streamers and large gaming media outlets, new people are joining in. And its not just getting the word out, but many reviewers seem to 'get' Yakuza now and are reviewing from that frame of mind. I didn't read any reviews that had that sort of 'alienation' where the game wasn't for them because it was not what they were expecting. Whereas before it really was just thrown into the Japanese GTA genre basket.

Also I think some part of it also is the fact that a great number of old franchises have come and gone like Halo, COD, GTA, AC, GOW, WOW, FF and maybe people want something different. That might be why Yakuza didn't get a look in other times because everybody just wanted Halo/COD and now Yakuza is still around, Zero has been reviewed as one of the best entries and its January, a good time for a new game to release (another brilliant move by Sega to get ahead before other big hitters in 2017 arrive). The numbers for those games obviously pale into comparison, but there seems to be some portion of the gaming market, looking for something new to play.

Man I really hope Yakuza 6 keeps the same release day for next year, because it worked for Zero.

The best thing is that sometimes Neogaf does give a shit and put their money where their mouth is, and that's the best Neogaf.

umbra

ZoominGames just recently made "a 10 things that will make you love the Yakuza series" video and it's getting a lot of views so far:

https://youtu.be/bEf0m3i-PkE

I am so happy that so many big YouTubers are finally hyping the Yakuza series with the release of 0.

That was a lot better than I expected (pretty much on point for everything, just had some hilariously poor Japanese pronunciations). It's great to see just how much exposure Zero is getting.

PartyChan

i've always been aware of the series for years, but thanks to this neogaf thread and the recent best buy visa checkout deal, i'll be joining in on the fun Tuesday. can't wait!

Jimrpg

Any side games/content missing from the Japanese release? Are all the SEGA arcade games present?

No, all side/mini games are in. The intro theme song Bubble is missing from the English version.

The SEGA arcade games are Space Harrier, Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Hang-On. And the arcade claw machine (pretty sure that's in there).

Assuming there's a possiblity that Ishin/Kenzan gets localised...

Should it be:

a. Treated like a new IP. Give it a different brand name "Like a Dragon" or whatever, but sell it as a pre-modern Japan take on the Yakuza IP.

b. Give it a name like "Yakuza Origins/Restoration/Yakuza 1605" or whatever, basically tie it back to the Yakuza brand name despite it not being as flexible and reflective of the spin-off's stories.

Fhtagn

I am gonna play so much Outrun I might never finish the main story.

Somehow, I own every Yakuza published in the USA, but I've only sunk significant time into 1 and 3. I managed to play 75% of 1 twice, a few years apart. I bought 5 day one to support the series but had been holding off in the hopes that the HD versions of 1 & 2 made it over.

So I'll be starting in on 0 on Tuesday and if the arcade doesn't derail me, it'll be the first Yakuza I finish. Stoked.

May16

Really excited that the West gets this!
Loved the import to death. Crazy to think that it was almost 2 years ago o_O

Still! Yakuza is always great stuff. Enjoy~

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Assuming there's a possiblity that Ishin/Kenzan gets localised...

Should it be:

a. Treated like a new IP. Give it a different brand name "Like a Dragon" or whatever, but sell it as a pre-modern Japan take on the Yakuza IP.

b. Give it a name like "Yakuza Origins/Restoration/Yakuza 1605" or whatever, basically tie it back to the Yakuza brand name despite it not being as flexible and reflective of the spin-off's stories.
forget about kenzan. it won't happen ever. they're not going to localize a PS3 game and they're not going to port it to PS4 just for a western release.

Endo Punk

No, all side/mini games are in. The intro theme song Bubble is missing from the English version.

The SEGA arcade games are Space Harrier, Outrun, Fantasy Zone and Hang-On. And the arcade claw machine (pretty sure that's in there).

Good good good. While it's disappointing the intro song is missing I'll let it slide. I remember Y3 had a lot of missing content like hostess game so I skipped it and after playing Y4 I made the right choice, playing and running the hostess club was great!

jackal27

Banned
I'm getting so hyped for this game you guys. I haven't even played a Yakuza since Yakuza 1 and I can't wait to get my hands on this.

MYeager

So what is this series? GTAV in Japan?

No, the only similarities is a sandbox to play in and even then it's nowhere near the same. This series is best described as a story driven action RPG, where you punch guys and earn experience to punch guys harder, with a lot of different side missions and extra content to enjoy.

Guys do we know if there is an item in Y0 to display side quests on the map?

There is but it is part of a side quest reward that's multiple choice, and if you're me I made the wrong choice. None of the side quests are chapter specific this time around so you can always play through them later.

Any side games/content missing from the Japanese release? Are all the SEGA arcade games present?

No content missing aside from the song. The SEGA games are present, those two need to be unlocked through 'Friendship' missions.

Top Bottom