• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoko Taro says he thinks Stellar Blade is better than NieR: Automata!

Dr.Morris79

Nier Automata is an ugly game. So can't really blame him.
e10Cska.gif

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I wonder... If Stellar Blade hadn't ended up as some sort of culture war poster child if it'd be getting anywhere as near as much hype?

Well, I say I wonder, I don't really.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Nier Replicant has a fantastic OST. Automata’s was good, but that first game hits different. I didn’t pay attention to Stellar Blade’s OST, but I will come release.

Zheph

Nier Replicant has a fantastic OST. Automata’s was good, but that first game hits different. I didn’t pay attention to Stellar Blade’s OST, but I will come release.
40% of the tracks in Stellar Blade are made by Monaca which is responsible for NieR soundtracks

Director quote:
The music is an important element in the game that really portrays the world view of Stellar Blade. We have about 100 tracks on the soundtrack, and most songs have a kind of chorus or some kind of human voice in them. Around 60 per cent of the songs were created in-house, while the other 40 per cent were created by a sound studio called Monaca, led by composer Keiichi Okabe. Okabe-san was the composer of NieR.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Taro usually dismisses his own work.

But SB gameplay is absolutely better. I didn't like the combat of NieR much. Especially not 9S.

SB's strongest point to me, based on the demo, is its gameplay, and it seems its skill tree. The game is surprisingly deep. I like its parry system.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly just sprinting and running in NieR Automata alone controls and feels infinitely better than Stella Blade handles. Stella Blade is fairly sluggish, limited movement with more focusing on parrying and timed QTE-style dodges. I don't think you can even heal reliably unless your character comes to a complete stop. I think a lot of people also forget how creative some of the bosses are in NieR with the shmup elements, and the various powers you get, or the multiple weapons. I don't think Shift Up on their first console game ever has surpassed Platinum Games in anything but visuals. A lot of exaggerating going on.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wonder... If Stellar Blade hadn't ended up as some sort of culture war poster child if it'd be getting anywhere as near as much hype?

Well, I say I wonder, I don't really.

It would be getting alot of hype either way. Don't forget the original trailer when it was called Project EVE got 2 million views! That's extremely great. Especially for a new IP from an unknown developer.

IIRC the last time Yoko Taro was praising a game this much it was with 13 Sentinels so maybe he's onto something here besides being polite to a fellow game creator. 👀

Last edited:
I can believe it. I was never as high on Nier as everyone else though I could barely understand the story. I had one friend who didn't even know there were multiple endings because of the dumb gimmick they wanted to employ. He wasn't some casual gamer either and he still didn't know.

Larxia

The thing is... NieR Automata could have been an almost perfect game for me, but it's ruined by horrible issues that are actually done on "purpose" just to annoy the player, and I absolutely hate this philosophy of game design, it's something that Hideo Kojima likes to do too.

Run A in NieR Automata is great, but then you get run B which is absolutely awful, it's the same playthrough as the first one but with an actually WORSE gameplay this time around.
And the very stupid thing about this, if you finish run B, you unlock run C, which is actually the real second half of the game, the sequel to run A, but... You have to play a whole second playthrough through run B for nothing.
I wouldn't be surprised if some people actually gave up when they saw that run B was just some kind of NG+, without thinking much more about it, and ended up missing half of the game because of this.

Absolutely terrible game design decision.

And it doesn't even end there. In Run C you can play as A2, and here gameplay is AWESOME. She was my favorite part of the game, especially with that berserk mode, this gameplay was even better than 2B. But guess what? They decided that nope, when you start having fun as A2, they force you to switch back to 9S, ALL. THE. TIME. I kept reloading the chapter with A2 everytime to do all the side content as her, but everytime they locked me out of it because you had to unlock a door with 9S or something else.

It really felt like they were trying to annoy the player as much as possible, but since it's on purpose, it's genius, wow. I really dislike this.

But the gameplay, the world, the atmosphere, the music, I really loved a lot of parts of this game, it really did something for me, I just wish they didn't decide to ruin it with these weird / annoying decisions.

Playing as A2 in the DLC arena, and making a vampire build to stay in Berserk mode forever was insanely fun for me, I loved this :

So... If stellar blade is just a fun game that doesn't go out of its way to annoy the player, I could understand it being more fun as a whole... It's really that simple. I really doubt the gameplay will be as good as NieR Automata though.

Graphically sure. Story-wise? Hard to beat Nier: Automata. I wish Yoko had a big budget with bluepoint at his disposal.
In the interview with Hyung-Tae Kim and Yoko Taro, he already said he can't make the game's story better than Nier, so he focused on combat mechanic and gameplay more.

But who knows, they are probably both being too formal with each other and the whole story can be subjective for others.

Last edited:
Nier Automata is a great game and looks beautiful imo. Eve from Stellar Blade is the difference. She is more striking and beautiful and the combat system is more Souls like. Both great games and I will be enjoying SB when it comes out on the 26th the same way I enjoyed Nier Automata.

Rickyiez

It doesn't need to have better story than Nier Automata. It just needs to have a better and more satisfying gameplay. Different type of games TBH

That said, I'm up for 2B skin :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

iHaunter

In the interview with Hyung-Tae Kim and Yoko Taro, he already said he can't make the game's story better than Nier, so he focused on combat mechanic and gameplay more.

But who knows, they are probably both being too formal with each other and the whole story can be subjective for others.
Maybe they can collab?

Top Bottom