• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You know what? I miss e3...

JordanN

Banned
Say what you want about how some shows can be completely boring, or that they're cringe, or just straight up adverts, but there is one thing that just can't be replaced.

The live theater reactions.

Even if there's just one game, just seeing the audience start roaring is what defines "this was a good presentation". Like the famous Twilight Princess reveal.

And I understand Sony/MS are still going to go ahead and reveal their new consoles but man, it's just not going to be the same when it's done through some pre-recorded video.

Always appreciate the little things, because so many things we take for granted just might never come back ever again...

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

I also miss it. I like to have concrete days in which we know that there will be a lot of announcements, plan my time to see some conferences, follow the reactions on the forums, the megatons, the LOLs.... It was all part of the experience. Now it's a bit weird being receiving small events to reveal a single title and things like that... Luckily we will have the full reveals of PS5 and XSeX coming some time soon so I hope that will be equivalent of the usual E3 presentation

shaddam

Sometimes I miss E3. The pre internet, summer gaming magazines were always fun:messenger_smiling_hearts:
mDlMs46.jpg

Yes, very much so. Even though Sony's was the only one I'd watch live, I'd later go watch 3rd party games I'm interested on YT. I still watch some "Year of Dreams" highlights every now and then.

imsosleepy

in my country the netherlands my favorite gaming media gamekings would usually go over to LA. Make a high quality video vlog everyday while being there. upload loads of videos with previews and discussions of what they see over there. And then there was a team at the office hosting livestreams all night to watch along with the press conferences. Man that was so awesome. And then after e3 the next weeks we would be bombarded with great content. and all that is gone for me.. mis that..

makaveli60

in my country the netherlands my favorite gaming media gamekings would usually go over to LA. Make a high quality video vlog everyday while being there. upload loads of videos with previews and discussions of what they see over there. And then there was a team at the office hosting livestreams all night to watch along with the press conferences. Man that was so awesome. And then after e3 the next weeks we would be bombarded with great content. and all that is gone for me.. mis that..
Same here. We had magazines coming with CDs and DVDs filled with E3 goodies and on site videos and pics. It was so good...

Oddspeak

Digital events like Direct and State of Play might trim the fat and cut to the chase faster, but they don't get the occasional moment where the crowd might erupt at something particularly amazing. That feeling was awesome, makes the event feel like a shared experience even if you were watching from home.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I miss the hype to major letdown cycle for sure. I think only about 1 or 2 E3s in my life time were actually worth the hype.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Right with you OP. I am watching through this right now, reliving a great conference and realizing we probably won't experience something like this year...

E3 used to be my absolute favorite time of year... I don't think these random announcements will fill the void. They all seem so unplanned... and well, just random. Born from this whole pandemic which is understandable, but still very disappointing.

Last edited:

StormCell

I've missed E3 for years now. It hasn't been the same or had the luster that it did <2010. It's also a different industry now than it was, so recapturing that magic is not likely. The days of everyone doing something different and innovative seems like an unrealistic expectation. As an example: Super Mario Sunshine's water was a big deal in 2002 vs Mario's water isn't a big deal in 2020.

But that damn water was so much fun in 2002...

Top Bottom