• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 "PRO" speculated price? What are you willing to pay?

kiphalfton

I know it can't do that. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Maybe it can but I don't think it's a thing without patches, at least.

Imagine if they dropped PS4 backwards compatibility. I guess they could, and force those who want PS4 game support to buy either a PS4 Slim or base PS5.

Last edited:

Crayon

Imagine if they dropped PS4 backwards compatibility. I guess they could, and force those who want to PS3 support to buy either a PS4 Slim or base PS5.

I tried but I imagined fucking a unicorn by accident.

my-imagination-has-become-rather-unbridled-moira.gif

Poordevil

I'm expecting to pay $600. I don't think Sony will list it for more than that. If they do I'd probably bite the bullet and pay up. I hope it isn't $499. If it is that cheap my expectation for a beefy PS5 upgrade would be tempered and tamped.

Brock2621

I’d pay $600. $700 is probs a bit much for me when I’m not necessarily convinced there will be a huge difference

Reactions: Isa

Regginator

The latest rumours are that it isn't even that much of an upgrade, right? In that case whatever my current PS5 will sell for + €100/200? But likely not upgrading at all.

mdkirby

Anything under 1k…

Who am I kidding, whatever Sony ask for it.

I use the thing every day for at least 4 hours for tv and gaming. I get almost as much value from it as a £5k sofa, and that still seems like a bargain for how much it’s used. Compared to a £300 treadmill that lives in a cobweb filled garage covered in boxes, an exercise bike that is a clothes rack, and multiple vr headsets that gather dust…or even the series X that gets used for maybe a couple of games a year with months between turning on. It’s mostly a collector for cat fluff.

BigLee74

Whatever it will be, it will be a ridiculous price for a games console. Out of range for a kids birthday/xmas pressie for a lot of parents, that’s for sure!

Will it have games that look next-gen just like Demon's Souls and Ratchet or will it have unimpressive cross-gen games that look like upscaled PS4 games with some RT slapped on? 🤠

I'm probably good with the base PS5 thanks, unless it gives a huge boost to PSVR2.. Hmm..

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Not happening. Sony saw the amount of money they left on the table for scalpers to take with OG PS5.
Do you honestly think Sony thinks they can price their products based on scalper prices? People aren't buying bundled systems at a high rate at a discount now. People bought the PS5 when it was hard to get and it was needed. The only people buying a plus likely already have a base model.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The bottom line is Most game releases do not either take advantage of all the power of the PS5 or optimize their games. Why spend more on a much more powerful machine? You think you can just play current games at better resolution or better Frame-rates, WRONG! Each game will have to have a patch and you bet your ass that some publishers are going to charge an upgrade fee. Oh you like the 10th release of GTA 5 currently on the PS5? Guess what? Pretty soon you will have the "pro" or "enhanced" version for a mere upgrade price of $10-$20. Some publishers are going to go balls deep and ask for $40 or more for the new and "improved" version. Maybe I am getting Cynical and still stick to the Quote under my tag (especially how anti consumer Sony has become) in expecting the worst in things. I guess call it life experience. To be 100% honest I would sell my PS5 and not look back if it weren't for GTA 6 and hoping for another God of War sequel. Sony and MIcrosoft have turned me off in games with all the nickle and diming bullshit. I have been playing my switch more and more because it brings me back to a much simpler, happier time in gaming. Corporations have taken over /end of old man shaking a stick rant

I guess I just don't see the point.
The same can be said for every piece of PC tech (used for gaming) people spend 2.000 dollars on a high end video card to not see it used in its fully potential, but to brute force its way through lazy development, so I cant see the problem with giving the same option to consoles... I would support a two SKU initiative that offered from the start of the generation a Pro/High end version... not this serie s gimped bullshit.. but a trully next gen Ps6 like the Ps5 was and a high end Ps6 Pro ....

People will come here and say it cant be done because "reasons" in the end is all about money .... specially in the way consoles are made today.

All in all I think consoles are stuck in the past charging too cheap and at the same time trying to be the vanguard in graphics.... just see RT in this console gen ... fcking useless push just to eat up processing power that isn't there.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The same can be said for every piece of PC tech (used for gaming) people spend 2.000 dollars on a high end video card to not see it used in its fully potential, but to brute force its way through lazy development, so I cant see the problem with giving the same option to consoles... I would support a two SKU initiative that offered from the start of the generation a Pro/High end version... not this serie s gimped bullshit.. but a trully next gen Ps6 like the Ps5 was and a high end Ps6 Pro ....

People will come here and say it cant be done because "reasons" in the end is all about money .... specially in the way consoles are made today.

All in all I think consoles are stuck in the past charging too cheap and at the same time trying to be the vanguard in graphics.... just see RT in this console gen ... fcking useless push just to eat up processing power that isn't there.
IN the real world money is an object for most people. Most can't afford to spend $1700-$2000 for an RTX 4090. Sure you could put a much cheaper 3080 or 3090 in your system today but 12GB-16GB of vram is becoming the standard. The machine would be slow or obsolete in a few years. To realistically build a PC that last you around 5 years like a console does would probably cost around $2k-3k today. I can buy a PS5 for $400 that would last me 5 years and have great looking games. Is it as good as the PC? No. But for $400 I have a machine that last me 5+ years with good performance? Build me the cheapest Gaming PC today that you think would play most games at atleast medium 5 years down the road from today? I guarantee it will be expensive. Build me a PC with the equivalent performance of a PS5 using new parts. Watch the price go up as you add parts.

Money is a real object so that is why expensive consoles would hurt sales. The PS5 "Pro" is going to sell out at launch just due to the greedy scalpers swiping them up. If Sony continues it's anti-consumer attitude and makes the "pro" version expensive like you Suggest it is going to fail. Especially in today's economy.

With the new gpus launching this year I'm actually going to take the wait and see approach.

If they demo it across a wide selection of titles and it's genuinely awesome I'd pay 599 gbp for a disk one with the specs we have now.

If it was different specs and say a 3d cache cpu I'd go up to and even over a grand for one.
Yeah the cpu thing is what would decide if I spent 700

Last edited:
Depends on what it can do.

Personally, $500 is the sweet spot for a premium level console. But if there are true, never-before-seen, can't-live-without upgrades, I could justify going as high as $700-$800.

Disc Pro: USD$699 (also price if no Digital version is announced)
Digital Pro: USD$649

I imagine they'll focus on improved RT and resolution bumps in specific titles. For example, I expect Dragon's Dogma 2 to receive a good performance improvement. However, adding 60FPS modes to currently locked 30FPS games seems pretty unlikely given the CPU isn't supposed to be better.
699 without cpu upgrade wouldn’t fly

Minsc

Gold Member
It could be $199, or $999. I don't care what it's priced, until thy show us why we should buy it first.

So what I'm willing to pay ranges all the way from nothing to quite a lot, depending on what it delivers.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
IN the real world money is an object for most people. Most can't afford to spend $1700-$2000 for an RTX 4090. Sure you could put a much cheaper 3080 or 3090 in your system today but 12GB-16GB of vram is becoming the standard. The machine would be slow or obsolete in a few years. To realistically build a PC that last you around 5 years like a console does would probably cost around $2k-3k today. I can buy a PS5 for $400 that would last me 5 years and have great looking games. Is it as good as the PC? No. But for $400 I have a machine that last me 5+ years with good performance? Build me the cheapest Gaming PC today that you think would play most games at atleast medium 5 years down the road from today? I guarantee it will be expensive. Build me a PC with the equivalent performance of a PS5 using new parts. Watch the price go up as you add parts.

Money is a real object so that is why expensive consoles would hurt sales. The PS5 "Pro" is going to sell out at launch just due to the greedy scalpers swiping them up. If Sony continues it's anti-consumer attitude and makes the "pro" version expensive like you Suggest it is going to fail. Especially in today's economy.
What a truckload of nonsense. The 3090 has 24GB of VRAM, why would it it be obsolete in a few years lmao? A PC sporting a 3090 today will outlast the consoles today. You still have people rocking old-ass 1080s from 7 years ago and you have the nerve to type this.

TheKratos

500, why would I accept a higher price than PS5 original price? Get PS5 to 400 and Pro to 500. Ain't no way I'm paying 600 for marginal improvements while the jump from PS4 to PS5 was much bigger.

Last edited:
I think that for this Christmas PS5 should officially cost $399, PS5 pro should cost $499-$549 but with the lack of competition...$599.

And I hope they do And that it is somewhat successful .. so we can break this barrier in the console space... is ridiculous riding this 400 dollar wave this long with people spending thousands on cellphones that each do the exactly same thing every year...ajusting for inflation gaming is cheap as fuck and stuck in peasant land for too long
Pro consoles don’t have any business being cheap especially if it’s going to cause a gimp in the specs

Might be $649 w/ detachable disc. $599 without. If they go this route.

Anyway I'd go go to $700. After that I'd have to look at QOL improvements of in-game comparisons before I take the plunge.
I can see anywhere from 599 without disk to 699 with to 699 without disk to 749 without but I lean towards the former

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
This has to be photoshopped right? Seems like I remember $100 at one point but never $49... that's less than a new game at the time.
That's a real photo.
The PlayStation One also fell to a $50 price point in the early 2000's.

A brand new Dreamcast with keyboard could also be bought for $99 , as well.

What a wonderful time.. ☺️

Last edited:

VinnyMac

I'd say 549. And I'm an adult with a big boy job so really doesn't matter the price I bleed blue I'll but it day one just like the ps4 pro🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom