• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your controversial gaming opinions in regards to the state of the gaming industry

Horatius

multiplayer shooters, particularly talking about the battlefield games, became overly curated and sanitised experiences, doing everything in the world to funnel you to the supposedly fun objectives (that most people instinctively want to ignore, which is why the funneling needs to exist), while getting rid of spawn camping, griefing, etc., and this ultimately led to their downfall as a genre.

this is what made bad company 2 the last great multiplayer fps. basically the entire reason people worked on the objectives was for the opportunity to corral the enemy into only being able to spawn in their main base, closing ranks on it, and obliterating them without ever letting them get out. massive kill totals/experience were gained. was an organic, emergent reward structure, and the only time i've ever seen a community consistently try and fight over objectives without being forced into it by the devs, because the reward for doing so was more than winning. the term the community came up with for this was base raping lmao another thing that you'd never see allowed today.

while this was happening, you could do stuff like sneak around the battlefield, hide in their spawn, steal their vehicles, snipe them until they caught you, etc.

most of the time the teams were evenly matched enough that even a team losing badly would still hang onto one flag, but in around 1/10 games your side would pull it off and it was bliss.

and if you didn't want such gameplay to be possible, you had server side controls that the server operators could use to prevent it, so everyone won.

Last edited:

lordrand11

SP games can be played offline without any patches. If Steam goes down indefinitely, you lose everything (not just the patches).

Cost was never an issue for me and PC gaming saddened me when it migrated from DVD to Steam instead of BD-ROM.

There are also GOTY editions with all patches/DLC embedded into the disc if you're willing to be patient.

E4PYQ-1XEAM2ib9

But hey, if you want digital-only gaming to become the norm, I'm willing to discuss a decentralized blockchain solution to host video games and protect IP rights. Something even better than GOG.

Lot of big ifs in there. If an EMP were to take out the locally operated area where the servers are hosting at, yes I'd be screwed, but then so would anyone within that radius who's operating electronics, be it computer/console. Yeah the GOTY editions do come with all the DLC but necessarily all the patches as those also need their own, so again back at square one and not every game that comes out for a console receives one so you'd be limited by your selection.

I don't see digital as something bad considering all the new laws that are going into effect over ownership (which I do have Gamepass but I use it as a try before I buy platform for the games I want to get at a later date and the same with PS's Plus Ultra Premium Midoriya edition but with most of their games coming to PC alongside my other favorite Pubby Square I don't really see a reason to keep on paying for online service/extras), with Nintendo I do still purchase physical though so you got me there even though I have the ability to emulate, I like supporting the devs.

tommib

Gold Member
There is no reason to own an Xbox Series X or a PS5 as PC has and will always surpass those in terms of output, power, availability, games, and is getting damn near every game that's timed exclusive for those consoles. (i.e. swap to a better platform entirely)
Reading everyone complaining about crashes and stutters with the Elden Ring DLC on pc made me kiss my PS5. I grew up as a pc gamer and can’t think of a worse platform to play on.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Crying about Wokeness in games is often as bad as Wokeness itself.

The concept of GaaS is a blessing for gaming and people whining about it are boomers facing extinction.
1st one: you're correct and people have lost sight of fun games. Wokeness this wokeness that. You can't make the gameplay woke and that's what matters most

For this second sentence, I have it screenshotted. When this whole GaaS initiative is done you better hold the same opinion you shill

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nintendo gets too much good graces for what they do here. I can understand that they're one of the few big publishers that can publish games in a timely, yearly manner, but to act like that their games are the only fun ones and every other game is some unfun walking simulator is just ridiculous. It's a really corny opinion reeking of someone who really hasn't played enough non-Nintendo games, the industry is good outside of them too!

Sony also gets way too much defense here. I feel like Xbox discussion has clouded people to the fact that Sony isn't much better at the moment. It's a prime example of gaf bubble in action, you'd think Sony is about as much of a trendsetting trailblazing company as they were between 2015-2020, but really look outside of here- Twitter, Discord, Youtube, etc, and it's the same comment from the gaming majority- PS5 got no games! Especially Twitter where you hear the same damn joke about "Notice how they're doing x with the PS5 instead of playing games on it LOLOLOLOLOL" It's annoying but a great reflection on how the gaming community outside GAF feels about the Playstation.
Dog on Xbox all you want because it rightfully deserves it, but also make sure to criticize Sony when appropriate.

Wokespotting is annoying and really dumb- it detracts from actually enjoying the game and playing it happily. But others have said so in this thread so that's for another time

Nothing can fix Xbox's issues right now because it's a fundamental issue with Microsoft as a company- they're too damn rich to put their all into it like Nintendo does so they try to conquer the industry instead and fails- Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. The brand fundamentally died and lost all identity when the execs got their hands on it back in 2010. Let them go third party.

Rockstar gets way too much hate for the controls in their modern games. They are a bit delayed, yeah. But the character still moves as they should. What fucking maneuvers are you guys trying to perform that make the modern controls so slow and clunky, especially in RDR2? They are a realistic ragdoll simulation with a great deal of immersion to the world, lack of weird and immersion breaking clipping, and they help the game feel grounded and realistic at its core- which is good because it's meant to be a realistic crime simulator- hence why GTAIV (the best game IMO) gets so much praise, the physics and world are incredibly detailed and a good chunk of everything is simulated instead of animated

Finally, I stand by what I said in my previous thread a while ago. If gaming is this bad for you that you can't stand what it is today, genuinely, quit. Retro games will simply remind you of the modern gaming that you hate so much. If you don't love this hobby enough to stick through the rough times or even care enough to find what might be your niche, you are weak and will not survive the winter. There are thousands of other hobbies to get into that you will probably be happier in- try a creative one like art, or music. Hard for things to go bad then when you have control over what you make. We don't need so many negative fucking losers clogging up the forum with wokespotting, complaints and anger- there's times when you should complain, yes, but also times where you should be HAPPY and ENJOY THE GAMES.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
To be clear, by controversial gaming opinions, I mean controversial by NeoGAF standards.

Saying something like "Sweet Baby Inc is destroying gaming" or "Woke games are killing the industry" is not controversial.

My controversial opinion:
Hi-Fi Rush flopped because it targeted too much of the boomer gamer crowd. And the boomer gamer crowd spends the least on games and are deal hunters. They will vouch for wacky indie games while never buying them or buying them at the lowest possible cost.
Controversial opinion (in your eyes), Hi-Fi Rush flopped because it’s trash and not a good game at all 🤷‍♂️

multiplayer shooters, particularly talking about the battlefield games, became overly curated and sanitised experiences, doing everything in the world to funnel you to the supposedly fun objectives (that most people instinctively want to ignore, which is why the funneling needs to exist), while getting rid of spawn camping, griefing, etc., and this ultimately led to their downfall as a genre.

this is what made bad company 2 the last great multiplayer fps. basically the entire reason people worked on the objectives was for the opportunity to corral the enemy into only being able to spawn in their main base, closing ranks on it, and obliterating them without ever letting them get out. massive kill totals/experience were gained. was an organic, emergent reward structure, and the only time i've ever seen a community consistently try and fight over objectives without being forced into it by the devs, because the reward for doing so was more than winning. the term the community came up with for this was base raping lmao another thing that you'd never see allowed today.

while this was happening, you could do stuff like sneak around the battlefield, hide in their spawn, steal their vehicles, snipe them until they caught you, etc.

most of the time the teams were evenly matched enough that even a team losing badly would still hang onto one flag, but in around 1/10 games your side would pull it off and it was bliss.

and if you didn't want such gameplay to be possible, you had server side controls that the server operators could use to prevent it, so everyone won.
Another controversial opinion:

The game industry needs more remasters! Yes, you heard that right.

Not just SP (games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, MGS), but also MP remasters.

Bring back old school Battlefield, Uncharted, Killzone etc.

You guys have no idea how many old school gamers feel disengaged.

"But there's Fortnite for you to play, it's the most popular MP game!"

Nah, Fortnite is a mix of shooting + Minecraft (building) mechanics. Not my cup of tea.

So yeah, do us a favor and bring back old school MP games!

Engagement would go through the roof and there's tons of potential revenue for companies.

How come they don't realize this?

Western devs are lagging behind culture which is tired of woke ideology and ready to get back to basics.

Renting subs are stupid unless you just get a month to play a certain game for cheap. Otherwise you’re just paying for games on a virtual shelf monthly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Western devs are lagging behind culture which is tired of woke ideology and ready to get back to basics.

Renting subs are stupid unless you just get a month to play a certain game for cheap. Otherwise you’re just paying for games on a virtual shelf monthly.

Well, many of these racists who follow this ideology actively want the death of classics. Of course our culture is lagging behind with these regressive mongrels at the helm.

Killjoy-NL

1st one: you're correct and people have lost sight of fun games. Wokeness this wokeness that. You can't make the gameplay woke and that's what matters most

For this second sentence, I have it screenshotted. When this whole GaaS initiative is done you better hold the same opinion you shill
I really don't get the hate for continuous support for games.

Sure, there's a lot of shitty business practices, but when you look at games like FFXIV and NMS, it's easy to see how the concept of GaaS can be a good thing.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I kind of like pay to win options in some single player games, and I honestly wish gamers would shut their fat fucking mouths about it already.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

John Candy No GIF by Laff

One has you pay for a complete expansion. The other has you pay for an unfinished game.
They still classify as live service, whether you like it or not.

They get continuous support to keep you playing as long as possible.
How the business model is implemented does not change that.

Last edited:

lordrand11

Reading everyone complaining about crashes and stutters with the Elden Ring DLC on pc made me kiss my PS5. I grew up as a pc gamer and can’t think of a worse platform to play on.
I haven't had that problem, but I'm not in love with my computer like you are Sony and the fix will be put out shortly for those suffering from it. If you grew up as a PC gamer what was the last game you played on computer?

Sure, there's a lot of shitty business practices, but when you look at games like FFXIV and NMS, it's easy to see how the concept of GaaS can be a good thing.
When you love a game, you do want continuous support, don't you?

Your heart breaks a little bit when developers abandon it and never fulfill their true vision (I'm looking at you UC2-3-4/TLOU1 MP).

Killjoy-NL

When you love a game, you do want continuous support, don't you?

Your heart breaks a little bit when developers abandon it and never fulfill their true vision (I'm looking at you UC2-3-4/TLOU1 MP).
That's what I mean.
Imo there is no logical reason not to want continuous support for a game you love.

Online mp in particular.

Last edited:
Current gen consoles looked better on the 20 year old plasma TV than on my 4k oled.

AAA games are way too safe these days. In general generic dull and boring.

I enjoy reading about next gen specs but probably won't buy a PS6. I'm on the fence about buying a switch 2.

Online multiplayer games in general are boring. I haven't enjoy it since HL2, CS, TF etc.

Also yo mama...

tommib

Gold Member
I haven't had that problem, but I'm not in love with my computer like you are Sony and the fix will be put out shortly for those suffering from it. If you grew up as a PC gamer what was the last game you played on computer?
Bioshock. It made my computer crash constantly. I was having some Radeon and motherboard issue that I couldn’t solve and I said fuck it. Got a PS3 to play Bioshock. And that was it.

I did play Disco Elysium on a MacBook when it came out.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Shouldn't be a controversial opinion, but seems to be here as goes against what many GAF users believe.

PC gaming isn't expensive, in fact its one of the first choices for budget gaming. Whoever believes its expensive is just too used to the idea of treating gaming PCs as pro consoles with extra steps, instead for what they really are and what most people see it as: multipurpose machines.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

It's not your opinions on GaaS I have an issue with. It's the fact that I'm 99.999% sure you are expressing this as a response to Sony's recent GaaS initiative. When you have been this much of a documented shill for Sony I find it hard to believe this is a genuine opinion you've held.

Buying games day one or at least close to launch is essential for having a healthy industry.
Then developers are obligated to make sure the game is functioning and priced fairly on day one.

Killjoy-NL

It's not your opinions on GaaS I have an issue with. It's the fact that I'm 99.999% sure you are expressing this as a response to Sony's recent GaaS initiative. When you have been this much of a documented shill for Sony I find it hard to believe this is a genuine opinion you've held.
I really touched a couple of sensitive nerves, huh?

You need help.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Also, stop treating gaming like its the 90s. We live in the era of media by demand, not supply. You're not gonna find what you want reading a magazine or watching summer games fest or randomly browsing stores.

Fabieter

Then developers are obligated to make sure the game is functioning and priced fairly on day one.

What's fair pricing? We had dozens of games failing and the studios closing because people didn't buy those games enough day one.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
What's fair pricing? We had dozens of games failing and the studios closing because people didn't buy those games enough day one.
only studio that's happen to recently is Tango Gameworks and that's because of Microsoft's incompetence and insistence on Gamepass.

Last edited:

Fabieter

only studio that's happen to recently is Tango Gameworks and that's because of Microsoft's incompetence and insistence on Gamepass.

Yea I meant historically like with the sleeping dogs devs for example. Super good game, it also was a complete experience but people just bought it on a sale. If day one sales suck pubs won't wait for games to pick up through sales. They will just end the IP.

So if you have the funds and like what they offer don't wait for sales, support what you like.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Yea I meant historically like with the sleeping dogs devs for example. Super good game, it also was a complete experience but people just bought it on a sale. If day one sales suck pubs won't wait for games to pick up through sales. They will just end the IP.

So if you have the funds and like what they offer don't wait for sales, support what you like.
Sleeping Dogs was also a new japanese IP in a time people had decreased faith in JP games. It came out full of bugs and glitches, employing practices of chopping off the game and selling the rest as DLC day 1 before that was even a thing, releasing even more overpriced micro-dlcs later on.

Whenever people speak fondly of Sleeping Dogs, how it was a hidden gen, an underappreciated game and how evil the industry and players were for ignoring it, 90% chance they've played the definitive edition years later.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Buying games day one or at least close to launch is essential for having a healthy industry.
Normally I would agree but then you have studios like Atlus who seem to screw over launch day buyers by providing a better version later on that you have to pay full price for even if you bought the first game. (Japanese games need to stop doing this). There is little incentive on the consumer side to buy day one since most of the games go on a massive sale months later. With games getting longer and longer and backlogs growing, some people just wait.

I would want there to be incentive to buy games day one. There used to be really good preorder bonuses that included merch, artbooks, steel cases, and soundtrack for base price.

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member
Women don't play games outside a few selective genres. Certainly not in significant numbers. Its all make believe. In order to appeal more to women, attempts to feminize IP in male dominated genres will only ever result in the alienation of the existing fanbase, ultimately destroying it.

cortadew

Growing up, there was a big culture of watching friends and older brothers (sometimes even uncles) play videogames. We'd all even crowd around the original GameBoy, somehow. Modern YouTube streamers is just an extension of that.
I understand it's just that I don't really care to watch a dude play a game I want to play, the intended idea of the devs was not that 1 dude bought a game and the rest would watch him play it, but that people PLAY the game.

Top Bottom