• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Favorite Video Games of the '80s

I'm sick of all the dumb negativity around next-gen and concern trolling, let's be positive and talk about the past and how cherished it is. I will be making subsequent threads for different eras, as well.

Here's my favorite '80s games...

sogxjFb.jpg
aeUroya.jpg
UZWtmQf.jpg
nj48AjV.jpg
glLSrCN.jpg
FkwClXc.jpg

GBE6gNt.jpg
XIazRQA.jpg
szUDu4o.png
K1rlp6m.png
emrnWHQ.png
Xt2Hyue.jpg

ShoxcsA.png
XlPpJjZ.jpg
i7KB3Wz.jpg
kaHbADT.jpg
rPJPV7n.jpg
wKwZZfa.jpg

caX0yiS.jpg
FKllXvn.png
FCkZNxd.jpg
DdTRoCT.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
I still remember when my dear aunt got me Ninja Gaiden for Christmas. I didn’t ask for it and I don’t know how the hell she picked it out over all the shit on that system. Bu I remember loading it up and it was like my face got splattered against the wall because of the total Chad game emanating out of my television .

teezzy

Banned
E Explosive Zombie Awesome thread, brother. I know these games better than most modern stuff.

I was born in early 1991 and wasn't gifted a console until Christmas of 1993... so I was nearly 3. For all I know, it could've been Christmas of 1994, but I know the NES Toploader was released in 1993 and that's the model I had. Either way, the Super Nintendo was already 2 or 3 years into being a thing by the point I got my console. So I'm always trying to guesstimate the exact age I became obsessed. My first games were Super Mario Bros 3, Kirby's Adventure, Battletoads and Double Dragon (the one where they fight together), and I have a visual memory of going to Funco Land and picking out the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for myself and my dad explaining what 'used' meant lmao and how it was the 'same thing' (just like the dollar theater was always the 'same thing' and eating hot dogs on bread rather than buns).

The age if of the NES actually worked to my advantage though because the games were super cheap, and often just given away to me by people who didn't want 'em. I remember finding a cardboard box full of NES carts on the side of the curb as a kid - scored the rare Bucky O'Hare that way, which I eventually sold for $90 as much older adult. So - cool! I didn't get and N64 until 1997, and even then I played the crap out of my NES alongside the 64. I'm actually really proud to have grown up with the NES and SNES because a lot of people my age can't cite much earlier than PS1/N64/Pokemon... some even started with PS2.

With that said, I didn't realize until fairly recently just how many of my NES favorites were actually from the 90s. That's a unique subject on its own tbh.

I'll share some videos of 80s favorites though. Just looking at the Youtube video for Championship Bowling makes me a little teary eyed. My mother, who will likely pass before this year's end was always very mentally ill my whole life. I remember, though, the one game I was able to teach her how to play as a kid was Championship Bowling. We passed the NES Advantage joystick back and forth because it had that 1p/2p switch, and always had a blast! Even if I had to set the game up for her up for her. She knew how to use the power meter and aim. So awesome.

Good times, man. If I only knew.

Anywho, looks like I had a strong lenience towards SHMUPs and Sports games as a kid. Just examining this list further. Gun.Smoke was another game I found in that box, I think Ice Hockey and Air Fortress too.

Tuff McNutt

My first gaming was on Apple II and Commodore 64 computers:

Bard's Tale
Gemstone Warrior
Choplifter
Inflitrator
Lode Runner
Karateka
Ultima
Aliens
Barbarian
Summer Games
Hacker
Hard Hat Harry
Miner 2049er
Castle Wolfenstein
Bruce Lee
David's Midnight Magic
Hardball
Impossible Mission
Police Quest
Space Quest
One on One
Phantasie
Prince of Persia

SirTerry-T

Say what you like about the modern day Activision but back then, in the glory years before Kotick, those box designs were gorgeous. In fact all the games produced for the Atari line had beautiful packaging, whether it was produced by Atari or a third party.

Top Bottom