• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite spooky action games?

brian0057

Banned
Systemshock2box.jpg
Banger.

chixdiggit

F.E.A.R. is so damn good. 85% off for the entire collection too.

The entire Thief trilogy is available on GOG (and Steam, but I recommend the former) and they're often on sale for dirt cheap.
And they're worth playing even today. Unrivalled masterpieces.

For more info on how to get the definitive experience out these absolute bangers, go here: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150989
Oh shit thanks. So much info. Should I start with the first game?

brian0057

Banned
Oh shit thanks. So much info. Should I start with the first game?
You can start wherever you want, my dude.
While the games have an overall connection from 1st to 3rd, they're mostly self-contained stories.
In my opinion, Thief II might be the best entry since it's the more consistent title of the trilogy.
But for spooky season, Deadly Shadows is your go to.

Drizzlehell

Banned
F.E.A.R, duh! Though to be honest, I'm in the camp who thinks F.E.A.R. 2 is even better.
I do not approve of this message.

The only thing that Fear 2 did objectively better was to have more variety in the environments. But otherwise it was an inferior game in every other aspect.

Now, clearly it's still an enjoyable shooter and do like to replay it every now and then. But better than the original?
200w.gif

I do not approve of this message.

The only thing that Fear 2 did objectively better was to have more variety in the environments. But otherwise it was an inferior game in every other aspect.

Now, clearly it's still an enjoyable shooter and do like to replay it every now and then. But better than the original?
200w.gif
Eh, I knew my take would ruffle jimmies. But can we at least agree that apart from F.E.A.R., another game that nailed the balance of action and horror was Midway's best non-MK game, The Suffering?
EDIT: Like seriously, I consider The Suffering one of the best horror games ever made with fantastic shooter gameplay, frightening monster design by STAN WINSTON, and some genuinely scary atmosphere and moments. If you haven't played The Suffering, get on it!

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Eh, I knew my take would ruffle jimmies. But can we at least agree that apart from F.E.A.R., another game that nailed the balance of action and horror was Midway's best non-MK game, The Suffering?
EDIT: Like seriously, I consider The Suffering one of the best horror games ever made with fantastic shooter gameplay, frightening monster design by STAN WINSTON, and some genuinely scary atmosphere and moments. If you haven't played The Suffering, get on it!
Oh hell yeah. The Suffering is easily one of my favourite horror games of all time. I can't remember much about the second one but I do recall that the monster designs were even better and it had some really fucked up boss characters, like that pimp guy with a bunch of hookers impaled under his coat.

Oh hell yeah. The Suffering is easily one of my favourite horror games of all time. I can't remember much about the second one but I do recall that the monster designs were even better and it had some really fucked up boss characters, like that pimp guy with a bunch of hookers impaled under his coat.
The Suffering also has in my opinion, one of the best shotguns in horror game history, right up there with the Custom Shotgun from Resident Evil 2 Classic, any from both versions of Resident Evil 4, the Pump Action from Condemned: Criminal Origins and the VK12 from F.E.A.R. 1! Seriously, that shotgun winds up becoming your primary weapon of choice for a good deal of the game. It has good spread, deals tons of damage and can reduce ANY unsuspecting Prison-Monster into giblets. And hearing about the impaled pimp monster boss in Ties That Bind, the sequel, also has me itching for a playthrough after I decided to install it on my system because it sounds just as messed up and terrifying.

And as for my stance on F.E.A.R. 2... Eh, I can understand why people don't like it as it does things differently from the original. YouTuber DXFan619, before he became a total shill for shite like post-2018 Rainbow Six Siege and summed it up in a livestream when he described F.E.A.R. as the Japanese original (unbeatable), F.E.A.R. 2 as the American remake (lesser, but still fun) and F.E.A.R. 3 as the American Sequel to the American remake (hella whack, yo). I find myself preferring it to the original though because not only is the Goal Oriented Action Planning AI system back meaning firefights are still fun, unlike F.E.A.R. 3, but to me, it has some of the best frights and one of the best, bleakest stories in any horror game. Objectively though, the first F.E.A.R. is still the best.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The Suffering also has in my opinion, one of the best shotguns in horror game history, right up there with the Custom Shotgun from Resident Evil 2 Classic, any from both versions of Resident Evil 4, the Pump Action from Condemned: Criminal Origins and the VK12 from F.E.A.R. 1! Seriously, that shotgun winds up becoming your primary weapon of choice for a good deal of the game. It has good spread, deals tons of damage and can reduce ANY unsuspecting Prison-Monster into giblets. And hearing about the impaled pimp monster boss in Ties That Bind, the sequel, also has me itching for a playthrough after I decided to install it on my system because it sounds just as messed up and terrifying.

And as for my stance on F.E.A.R. 2... Eh, I can understand why people don't like it as it does things differently from the original. YouTuber DXFan619, before he became a total shill for shite like post-2018 Rainbow Six Siege and summed it up in a livestream when he described F.E.A.R. as the Japanese original (unbeatable), F.E.A.R. 2 as the American remake (lesser, but still fun) and F.E.A.R. 3 as the American Sequel to the American remake (hella whack, yo). I find myself preferring it to the original though because not only is the Goal Oriented Action Planning AI system back meaning firefights are still fun, unlike F.E.A.R. 3, but to me, it has some of the best frights and one of the best, bleakest stories in any horror game. Objectively though, the first F.E.A.R. is still the best.
To be honest, one of the things that I found missing from Fear 2 was the AI. Im guessing it was down to the level design which was much more linear and had fewer corridors that looped in on each other, which resulted in enemies mostly just being disposable fodder instead of formidable opponents.

I also disliked the overly colourful art style and shift towards the Call of Duty style action. The first game still managed to build up this oppressive atmosphere despite the fact that you played as a super soldier with superhuman abilities. But the sequel completely missed the mark for me because instead of exploring creepy abandoned office buildings and condemned apartment blocs, the game had you running around these bombed out battlefields and constantly exchanging fire with solders or piloting mechs, and whatever spooky set pieces remained looked more like something out of a crappy mid-2000s action horror movie (so pretty much like you said - an American remake, lol).

Aside from the generally solid gameplay, the only idea about Fear 2 that I liked and found to be pretty disturbing was the finale. I also like the little details that are sprinkled throughout the campaign, like the fact that if you pay attention to the team member who gets brainwashed and attacks you towards the end of the game, you'll notice that he was clearly hallucinating and giving you the stink eye since the very first scene of the game. I like the little touches like these.

Neon Xenon

Cultic is a very easy recommendation for Action Horror. Besides fitting the season, it's a damn fine FPS taking a few cues from Blood, but also Resident Evil 4. The level design is entertaining to play and replay through, the weapons feel good to use (you can tell special care was put into weapon feedback), and the music is always pleasing to hear.

(Not my gameplay, but I wanted to post something besides a trailer)

Cultic also very recently got a free update called Interlude, that adds a new level acting as a prelude to Chapter Two.

Last edited:
There are quite a few that come to mind:

Ghosts 'n Goblins
2410a71b43d06c9f2444474498e414b4.gif

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
a1cc7bbb77ac1bb7ca427090ec4c69e9.gif

Dead Rising
giphy.gif

Psychonauts
763.gif

Under Night In-Birth
tumblr_inline_p6m7jeRf0j1rlic76_540.gif

Resident Evil 3 Remake
giphy.gif

Darkstalkers
anakaris-darkstalkers-transform-gif4.gif

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Chase.gif

Last edited:
Cultic is a very easy recommendation for Action Horror. Besides fitting the season, it's a damn fine FPS taking a few cues from Blood, but also Resident Evil 4. The level design is entertaining to play and replay through, the weapons feel good to use (you can tell special care was put into weapon feedback), and the music is always pleasing to hear.

Cultic also very recently got a free update called Interlude, that adds a new level acting as a prelude to Chapter Two.

Can confirm: I played a bit of Cultic and still play a bit of it here and there and it's a much better Blood sequel than Blood II: The Chosen.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Can confirm, I just finished the currently available episodes a couple of weeks ago. Great game.

I wish I could get The Suffering to run on my deck. I've owned them on GoG forever but haven't revisited them since I played them on the OG Xbox.
Yeah, unfortunately, the PC version doesn't have any gamepad or joystick support so that sucks. It's possible to emulate the PS2 version in a very nice HD resolution and 60 FPS but I don't know how much work would it take to get running on Deck.

Top Bottom