• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your GOTY so far?

What is your Game of the Year so far?

• Total voters

Luipadre

For sp games its probably FF7 rebirth but man im still having a lots of fun in helldivers 2 and recently bought no rest for the wicked and hades 2 and both of those games are fucking bangers

Cynexius

Neo Member
In an unprecedented feat, I predict that by the end of the year, FF7:Rebirth will be the consensus winner of both 'Game of the Year' and 'Most Disappointing Game of the Year.'

cormack12

Gold Member
How does the demo compare to the full version? I've played the demo, reeeeally liked the visuals, but combat was so easy I got bored after ten minutes already. How's the story and gameplay loop of the full version?

I'm currently playing Stellar Blade and having a blast. Is it comparable to any degree?
The campaign is reasonably short with two rather large DPS checks before you can finish the campaign. But that's more about time really, levelling up and getting mats.

The endgame scales exponentially but online matchmaking makes a lot of it trivial. However, it does turn into grinding on the very high levels. Grinding for sigils, mats and RNG etc. I still like it, but read about grinding for supplementary damage v+ sigil and get a feel for the experience

stn

I voted Ronin, since that's the only game I've beaten so far. Based on how things are going, FF Rebirth, Stellar Blade, or Dragon's Dogma 2, may take it. I'd also put Tekken 8 in my top 5 for the year so far.

John Bilbo

The best games I've played this year have been Monster Hunter: World, Batman: Arkham City, Sifu, Counter-Strike 2, MGSV and Halls of Torment.

The 2024 releases I've bought have all been so buggy they are not worth mentioning yet.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Stellar fucking blade !!!!!!!!!!! It delivers on everything I was hoping from that first 2021 trailer.
Not a single downgrade. It's exactly as I imagined even before the game was known since this trailer was not wide spread

ff7 rebirth was ok but was a major disappointment. Mini games, mini games mini games. open world activities and repat that 100x over. They also fucked with the story to the point of kingdom hearting it. Nothing makes emotional impact anymore.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
TOTK was having its moment this time last year, 2024 is going to need a healthy open world AAA game to save it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
2024 is going to need a healthy open world AAA game to save it.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

april6e

No game has really pushed through. It's a complete toss up so far. A game like Stalker 2 or Kingdom Come 2 could come out and easily steal it.

Persona 3 Reload and FF7 Remake 2 were incredible but it don't count as a remakes. Helldivers 2 is the leading pick but the game is not a clear frontrunner with the constant issues the game has. Balatro is the dark horse that might sweep every indie category.

Last edited:
Prince of Persia and Balatro are my favorites so far. Neither is a run-away like Zelda was though, so definitely room for other games to sneak in through the rest of the year.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Going with Helldivers for now, but I haven't gotten a chance to play some of the other heavy hitters yet.

GymWolf

ff7 rebirth was ok but was a major disappointment. Mini games, mini games mini games. open world activities and repat that 100x over. They also fucked with the story to the point of kingdom hearting it. Nothing makes emotional impact anymore.
How the fuck are you surprised by that after playing the remilk part 1?

Last edited:

GymWolf

I never played original ff7 but I knew the story. Remake was still impactful and more straightforward aside from the ending. Rebirth went crazy
Ok that explain a lot if you think remilk part 1 doesn't get fucking stupid crazy since the beginning compared to the og game.

Hudo

Nominees of Hudo's Game of the Fucking Year Awards 2024 so far:

Unicorn Overlord
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Persona 3 Reload

The awards also covers 3 additional side awards:

Soundtrack / Audio design of the year
Surprise of the year
Disappointment of the year (which has as much weight as Game of the Fucking Year)

But I haven' thought about nominees for these yet.

I am also interested in games that are confirmed to come out in 2024:

Metaphor ReFantazio
Homeworld 3
MechWarrior 5: Clans
Space Marine II
Age of Mythology: Retold
Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance
Visions of Mana
Indiana Jones and the Great Circle
Sins of a Solar Empire II (Coming to Steam this year)
Ara: History Untold
Kingdom Come II
Songs of Silence

Orbital2060

Unicorn Overlord and Infinite Wealth most likely candidates so far. But its too early to say. Japanese developers, in general, seem to be lit.

Can I vote for Stalker Gamma? A modpack of 443 modes over the top of the standalone mod Stalker Anomaly? It's not out this year but it's been the most fun I've had gaming aside from Escape from Tarkov.

rofif

Banned
I know the story of the original.
Nothing in Remake was hard to understand aside from new ending that was a mystery to everyone.
Rebirth is the same deal. All the impactful moments are kingdom hearted into oblivion and bombastified with idiotic timelines and multiverses.

There is nothing I didin't understand about rebirth story in the sense of comparison to original game.
Besides I was tehre when the game released but I never played it. I tried few years ago but I couldn't get more than few hours into it without nostalgia.
But Remake was fantastic. Truly. And yet, NOW after understanding how they butchered all of it in remake and rebirth with multiverse crap, I wish it was a real remake/rebirth. Not a sequel

Last edited:
Top Bottom