• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most disappointing game of 2023

Most disappointing game of 2023

• Total voters

Robb

Gold Member
Probably Diablo 4 I think.

Redfall as well, although I was mainly excited for that one due to the pedigree of the developer. It sucks seeing them fall from the heights of Dishonored to something like RedFall.

bbeach123

I dont really mind all of the annoying shit starfield does . But the execution was terrible, the characters was terrible , the quest was terrible , the story was terrible . Some of the quest started out interesting but the execution and the choice so fucking dumb , the npcs so fucking dumb too. Who write this shit , why they all have an IQ of a fcking 6 years old .

And the world design just kill my hope for modder to mod it into a space sims .

Tg89

Diablo IV I guess, or Starfield. Disappointing is probably the wrong word for both though as they were mostly in line with what I expected, washed devs giving me games on par with their recent output/trajectory. I guess I had a small part of me that believed they could deliver again.

Otherwise nothing too disappointing this year that I actually bothered buying/playing.

Codes 208

Diablo 4 and budokai tenkaichi 4

Or more specific the fact BT4 was randomly revealed back in february and WE HAVENT HEARD ABOUT IT SINCE, WTF BAMCO

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The Last of Us. Haven't even had any technical issues but was expecting something special and it's just ok and also a bit of a slog. The constant busy work, fetching ladders, fetching planks, fetching floating pallets - just feels like needless padding.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Starfield is the most disappointing game of the decade.

Resident Evil 4 remake.
I will just ignore it's existence, as the Original has the right pace and atmosphere. Can't be matched imo.
This one was pretty bad but only because the original is top 5 of all time material. I'm cool with all the story/presentation changes but they acted like the gameplay needed fixing and it absolutely did not. They took it from a 10 to a 7. Now a 7 isn't bad for a game but it is when you're looking for RE4 taken to the next level.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

TotK.

With games like Diablo 4 and Starfield, I went in with low expectations. D4 my expectation was OK launch, rough patch and will be much better over time. With season 2, it's trending that way. Starfield I got on gamepass because I haven't cared much for FO4 or FO76, so went in with the expectation I'd be "meh" about it.

TotK I went in with high hopes and ended up with a worse BotW DLC that bored me and I'll never finish.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It was a surprise to me but The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom, one of my least liked Zelda games

not because its a 'bad' game,far from it but i simply didn't like most of the gameplay mechanics(like the vehicle building thing ),i didn't find them "fun" to last such a massive game,don't care for open world games either, and found the combat clumsy and boring

Its still a Zelda game, so it has plenty of clever puzzles and cool gimmicks, like the Ascend ,there were moments i thought"neat" but not much else,a lot of it we already seen in Breath of the Wild

The plot is better than the previous entry but kinda boring, it reuses a lot of elements we seen before in the 3D games without adding anything new or its own twist(except for one thing 🐉)

Last edited:

MirageMew2

It’s Starfield. I bought a Series S and three months of GPU for early access and I hadn’t played longer than that launch week. Aside from the usual complaints I found it dreadfully sterile and ultimately boring as a result. The ship-building alone would’ve been great stand-alone but the complete package is just disorienting.

Blindy

Atomic Heart. I can live with jank but man this game just looked so freaking cool with the trailers and gunplay but then you play the game and it just has such a long intro in the factory and the open world felt so unnecessary. Not enough Mick Gordon tracks and the developer's obsession with putting what may be the worst enemy of 2023(Plush or whatever it was called) as not only a mandatory boss fight but then it's put in the way a couple more times, both in the open world and in a lab area so literal I had to face this thing four times! What makes this boss so annoying is it's gun immune so you have to get in front of it and use melee which basically became rock em sock em robots where I had to run around the damn thing and swing and heal like I am drunk.

There was some good elements in this game like the final boss fight but they were so far and between. Game looked pretty cool too but this was a 7/10 at best when I thought it'd scratch my itch much more.

Pimpbaa

I was going to say Spider-Man 2 but then I remembered diablo 4. I tried season 2 of Diablo 4, but I would just rather play diablo 3 or wait for Diablo 2 Resurrected to come to game pass. Maybe if they allowed your eternal realm characters to experience the content of each season I’d be more interested, but I hate the idea of rerolling a new character every time. Leveling up a character AGAIN, getting new gear AGAIN, and then poof your character gets transfered to the useless list of eternal realm characters you have. Fuck that.

drotahorror

Game I didn't buy:

UFC 5 - After a 3 year hiatus, EA were finally bringing UFC to next gen only consoles on a new engine to boot. Garbage. It's UFC 4 with doctor stoppages. Worst of all, the stoppages are a hindrance and detrimental to the gameplay. No one likes them and during the hype up to the release, EA was touting this as some great feature. It's shit. The new grappling system is ok and the blood/cuts are nice but wtf were these fools doing for 3 years?

Game I did buy:

Diablo 4 - Not a really bad game or anything just disappointed in what it should have been. I'll still probably check it out for a week or so every season. Maybe eventually they'll fix the game. We need a Loot 2.0, Itemization 2.0, Skills 2.0, like the core game elements need to be completely reworked and taken a good look at. I'd say it's one of my most played games this year despite my disappointment.

Hogwarts Legacy, was super duper looking forward it alongside WoLong, FFXVI, Spider-Man 2, Dead Space Remake and Jedi Survivor. While all of those games were superb, Hogwarts (besides the stunning audio visual fidelity) felt disappointing from ridiculous UI choices and terrible inventory management system. Every few minutes, I'd have to go to inventory to remove some stupid piece of item I might have picked up along the way because my inventory is full. The whole mouse movement for a console game to open menus was painstakingly slow. Also the main story was mid AF.

pqueue

FF16 - just.. ugh.

SM2 - gameplay was fine, but story, missions, characterizations, characters were all just dreck. and we even have to play as shitty character girlfriends.

have not played Starfield yet (that is on the to do list for December), but it may end up on the list as well.

Fbh

Easily FFXVI.

Still enjoyed it but it was painfully average, a 7/10 (at most) game when I was expecting so much more.

At this point I feel like I'm part of the cycle of disappointment meme. Each time a new mainline FF is close I get hyped and convince myself that "this is the one".
You'd think I learned my lesson after XIII and XV but nope.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

FF16, I know it's not a terrible game by any stretch. But I was expecting so much more from a main line FF fame, more freedom of exploration, air ship and an actual party. Not a fan of the single action player game. So I expected a lot and was disappointed. Once you stripped away the graphics, it was just a game with criminal pacing.

Yoshi-P let me down.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

FE Engage.

Mainly because I wanted to enjoy it, it has visual style I like and all, but that localization is horrible.

Marvel14

Banned
Zelda TOTK.

Not because the game is bad or anything, but because the hardware is so dated it really compromises the experience. I can't stand how it looks and I despise how it runs.
Baldurs Gate 3.

Not because the game is bad or anything.

But because it's only on hardware I haven't bought yet. It really compromises the experience not to be able to play a decent version on PS 4 or Xbox Series S. I despise the exclusivity.

Last edited:

Hestar69

FF16

Easily the Worst ff game by far.I've enjoyed everyone. Yes even 13 1,2,3.

Boring characters and story that tried too hard to be like game of thrones and failed just like the show did..

Add in terrible frame rate that gave me motion sickness and you get the second worst game of the year for me (redfall #1)

freefornow

Gold Member
Forza Motorsport for me (because I love racing games)
The progress saving bug and the upgrading parts bug (infinite loading screen) really killed my "just one more race" vibe that i always got with previous outings. Got so tired of completing the set races per cup only for game to crash/infinite load, resulting in console shutdown to correct, only to find all the races completed were not saved. Rinse and repeat.
Fixed now (but it took far too long for a flagship first party title). Regardless of "gamepass", I just havent felt like "jumping" back in. I suck at multiplayer, so thats always a hard pass for me.

Top Bottom