• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most disappointing game of 2023

Most disappointing game of 2023

• Total voters

amigastar

Probably starfield but there are so many disappointing games this year. Starting from red fall, age of wonders 4, cities skylines 2, payday 3, to hogwarts legacy, ff 16, forza, wolong. Many more I don’t even want to list.
Why was Age of Wonders 4 disappointing to you? I still have to play it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
From a strict Final Fantasy perspective the utter lack of RPG elements, quick 100 to 0 story and how flawed it's systems are all contribute to it being poor in every regard except artistic setpieces and possibly music?

Not to mention it is essentially the tattered remains of a Garlemald XIV expansion I think a lot of FF fans have every right to be divided on how they feel.

Also Jill was here.

It's an ok Action game but is a bad FF game.
story goes to 0 ? sure, it drags on a bit in the middle but it's rather interesting overall
whats wrong with Jill?

bender

What time is it?
Diablo IV and Remnant 2. Diablo is just monotonous. Remnant 2 has the opposite problem of the original and starts of strong and then just drags on afterwards.

Beechos

Redfall by a country mile. I considered arcane a top tier dev with all their output since the start of last gen. For redfall to be the trash that it is, is very disappointing.

2nd place would be ff16. Summon battles, got influence, mature themes, nice art direction. Game started out 🔥and completely fell apart after the prologue/1st act. Dull world, dull gameplay, lame story. It was like msg 5 all over again after the prologue, at least that had god tier sandbox gameplay to keep me playing.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
ff16 hate is strong here.
Yeah, they could cut out 10 hours of mmo bloat shit... but overall it was a fantastic experience..
I really had a great time with it. It's basically dragon ball final fantasy. 7 remake is way better. Even XV is better post mortem... but 16 is really great. Fantastic music, graphics and jaw dropping scenes/combat in some parts. The prologue alone deserves to save the game. It's the best prologue ever. I fucking cried on the demo.
edit: It's definitely the most I've gasped playing a game this year. Either due to amazing music, crazy action or cgi like graphics in some parts. Disappointing my ass... ok maybe a little bit

The main story is engrossing and has great visuals. Almost all of the side quests are simple fetch quests and look like the devs never finished the visuals. The characters, the animations, the bakckgrounds, it looks like they were originally meant for a PS3 game and were added to a nextgen PS5 game to make the game longer. That part of the game looks laughably bad and soured me on the game.

Final Fantasy XVI - due to the amount of hope I had that this was going to be the return to its former self, but it feels they doubled down on what they started with FFXIII.

Really hope one day we can all witness the comeback of Square Soft with high budget J-RPGs 🙏

Side note: I know this is a spread issue with modern gaming, but I was randomly browsing GameFAQs for old time sakes and found the page for FFXVI and... a single guide: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps5/300958-final-fantasy-xvi/faqs and when you browse through it is kind of obvious why, there is nothing to guide for this game, there are no complex sidequests, intricate weapons or even some boss where you need some strategy. Compare this to: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs

Last edited:

DeVeAn

Didn’t get to play Alan Wake 2. My fear with that game was, you would end up playing as the new character from most the game. From what I hear that seems to be the case.

I would say from what I’ve played this year Starfield has to be it. I can’t believe they would let you create a ship that could take you hours or acquiring all kinds of items for hours just to basically have it erased with a new game plus. Let alone, not feeling even as good as Fallout 4.

I logged about 60 hours into Starfield and it never got any better.

recursive

Definitely Starfield. Was super hyped and for the first 10 hours I really enjoyed it. Then all the quests that sent me across the galaxy to deliver a letter that could have been an email started to wear on me. Coupled with lack of space exploration, repetitive POIs, terrible NPC AI that stands in the corner staring at a wall destroying all immersion and crap inventory system I decided to shelve it for games that are more engaging.

Valt7786

Yeah in hindsight it's gotta be FF16. I enjoyed it while I was playing it, looking forward to the next big Eikon fight, but tbh I think they blew their load at Titan, the rest after were kinda wet farts comparably. Story was hit and miss, again, especially towards the end. Only being able to control Clive sucked, Jill gets completely sidelined after a certain point too which sucked.
It should have been so much better with guys like Yoshi-P at the helm, but they just took a little bit too much inspiration from FF14 in it's quest design and that dropped its score big time for me. MMO quests just don't work in Action RPG's like this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The main story is engrossing and has great visuals. Almost all of the side quests are simple fetch quests and look like the devs never finished the visuals. The characters, the animations, the bakckgrounds, it looks like they were originally meant for a PS3 game and were added to a nextgen PS5 game to make the game longer. That part of the game looks laughably bad and soured me on the game.
Don’t get me wrong. Side quests are dog shit aside from maybe 5. This should’ve been 10 hours smaller game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Spider-Man 2. I prefer to have more Spider-Man in my Spider-Man game.
For me spider man is Peter Parker. Anything else is dilution of the character and I don’t even know if that’s a real English word and I will not check.
Like if we have 10 batmans then he really isn’t special

Zelda TotK and FF16, which I skipped after trying the demo. Both were my favorite series back in the day.

With Zelda I was expecting that Nintendo would address the most critical flaws of BotW, but they amplified them. Imo, the worst main line Zelda. At least BotW was original and impressed at its time.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Don’t forget the totally pointless crafting system where there’s barely anything to craft. And all the sidequests rewarding you with useless crafting materials that you literally have thousands of. And the exploration zones that don’t have shit to find except shiny blue dots that give you 15 Gil or something.

Or the combat where enemies don’t even fight back, they just stand there like training dummies while you rotate through your skills on cooldown and slowly chip away at their health.

Everything about XVI’s gameplay loop feels so pointless and boring. It literally put me to sleep multiple times. Not gonna suffer through that just to see some flashy cutscenes and experience the “we have Game of Thrones at home” storyline

Laieon

Tears of the Kingdom. I like it but don't love it, but it's ultimately the most disappointing for me because after BOTW and TOTK, it's pretty clear that this series has pivoted significantly away from a lot of the aspects that used to make it my favorite.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Starfield

Bethesda games are among my favorites (Morrowind being my favorite RPG ever) and after forcing myself to the 20 hr mark I gave up. My single most disappointing game of all time.

Same brother, same.

Game is a blown out toilet

poop-pooping.gif

Here is my quick review I did a few days back: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/starfield-review-thread.1660424/page-130#post-268653630

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2. I prefer to have more Spider-Man in my Spider-Man game.
For me spider man is Peter Parker. Anything else is dilution of the character and I don’t even know if that’s a real English word and I will not check.
Like if we have 10 batmans then he really isn’t special
Peter fans and Miles fans:

duck-season-rabbit-season.gif

They should just scrap it all and move far ahead to Spiderman 2099 so that both sides lose.

I've had a similar take about Batman and Batman Beyond. Instead we keep getting Arkham-universe adjacent games starring characters that some people care about and some don't.

I ended up skipping Fire Emblem Engage since it sounded so horrible. So probably that? If I can only pick a game I actually played, it'd be Tears of the Kingdom. I appreciate that the building mechanic is impressive, but it did nothing for me, and the rest of the game lacks meaningful or interesting new content.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I ended up skipping Fire Emblem Engage since it sounded so horrible. So probably that?
I'm not the biggest Fire Emblem fan by any stretch. I couldn't stand the Three Houses one, but really liked Engage.

In fact, it'd be right up there with my most "pleasantly surprised" game of the year. Along with Hi-Fi Rush.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Which game came out this year that you were the most let down by? Something that you were totally hyped for, and it fell flat on its face? What's the one game you wish you could go back to January 1 2023, and tell yourself not to bother playing?
ToTK. First LoZ game my wife & I picked up on a launch day. We usually wait a little longer but this was super hyped. It's fun for her as she never played the games which it 'borrows' from and it's fun if you see it as less of a LoZ game. It burned me out enough not even to go back to BotW for a few years. Probably end up replaying Wind waker GC version to get the taste out or Ocarina of Time Master Quest again.

I'm not the biggest Fire Emblem fan by any stretch. I couldn't stand the Three Houses one, but really liked Engage.

In fact, it'd be right up there with my most "pleasantly surprised" game of the year. Along with Hi-Fi Rush.
I am the biggest FE fan (not really) but I thought the opposite: FE: TH is probably the best one, and Engage had some of the worst characters and va ever.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

I'm a big FE fan but hated Persona Three Houses. Engage has some elements I'd change but the battles felt like a return to form for the series and was a ton of fun. I really enjoyed it.

King Dazzar

I wasn't badly surprised by anything released this year. If anything I was pleasantly surprised. Of the bad releases I did play, I already knew they were likely to be poor so didnt go in with any hype.

But I did finally get around to a couple of highly rated games that just didn't do it for me. First one was FFVII Remake. I tried and tried but gave up half way through. And the other was A Plague Tale Requiem, which despite liking the original, found the sequel to be a disappointment.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Interesting with the disdain for FFXVI. I thought it was well regarded here - what little I know. Tried the demo, but avoided buying due to the 60fps performance issues. Sounds like it was flawed beyond that.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Don’t forget the totally pointless crafting system where there’s barely anything to craft. And all the sidequests rewarding you with useless crafting materials that you literally have thousands of.

There's no point in crafting anything, because the game will reward you with stronger swords and outfits when you play the main quest.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Payday 3 and Starfield.

Payday 3 took everything special and unique and amazing about Payday 2 and threw it in the garbage. The userbase abandoned it shortly afterwards, and Starbreeze are fumbling their PR to get the train back on the tracks. It's a real moment of Volition-esque hubris.

And Starfield was like a game from 2010. BGS hasn't evolved, hasn't modernised - and I'm stuck on some stupid mission where I need to win a space battle against overwhelming numbers, and I can't. I just keep getting blown to smithereens. The design is just appallingly bad.

Hero_Select

Two things come to mind. Spider-Man 2 and Diablo 4

The bigger surprise was Spider-Man 2 seeing as I fucking loved the first one.. this one didnt really pull me in as much.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
story goes to 0 ? sure, it drags on a bit in the middle but it's rather interesting overall
whats wrong with Jill?

Take Jill entirely out of the game and tell me how it changes in any meaningful way.

FFXVI was disappointing precisely because there were so many amazing elements that were ultimately squandered on a quarter of a Final Fantasy game. If they had finished it - if the whole thing lived up to the promise of the prologue - it had the potential to be an absolutely sublime gaming experience.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Definitely FF16. I absolutely LOVED 15. I loved the combat, I loved the campy dialog, I loved the locales, I even enjoyed most of the characters. I thought for sure 16 would be just as good or better, but it’s just
SOOOOOOOOOO BORRRIIIINNNNNNG

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Baldur's Gate 3. It's a wonderful game and amazing, but it was released in a really shitty buggy state. I can't say I've ever been more frustrated by a game's technical issues. I played it entirely in split screen multiplayer, so maybe that had something to do with it. But everything from graphical glitches, to quest-breaking glitches, to full game crashes. I don't play many western games, but if this is normal in 2023, that's pretty sad we collectively are okay with that.

Still one of my favorite games of the year. It's an achievement. But the fact I beat it is a testament of how good it is. If it was a lesser game, design wise, I probably would have bailed.

Laptop1991

Starfield, i was really disappointed, it's not a bad game, but not what i was expecting or wanted from Bethesda in a new SP game.

If there was a poll, it looks like Starfield would walk it!

Last edited:

Shakka43

Spider-Man 2 and Alan Wake 2(haven't finished it yet).

Both games suffer from sluggish story pacing, more so Spider-Man with the constant non-superhero character gameplay sections that do nothing a simple cutscene couldn't achieve better. Slowly walking around talking shit was cool back in the Uncharted games, it has long lost its appeal by now.

Top Bottom