• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube is a cess pit of scumbags, example 256: hbomberguy's new video about plagiarism.

Youtube died when it became a resource of opinionated videos instead of how-tos and random clips.
Those still exist. Like many here, your algorithm is what’s screwed.

The good news is that it’s not too late to fix it. It will take a lot of personal restraint and ‘do not recommend’ selections to do so.

Those still exist. Like many here, your algorithm is what’s screwed.

The good news is that it’s not too late to fix it. It will take a lot of personal restraint and ‘do not recommend’ selections to do so.
No there were direct moves by youtube to promote this type of content and change their algos. It didnt matter your watch history. I know those videos still exist because thats what i choose to search for and watch but theres a definite noticeable time period when youtube began pushing the influencer/dedicated content creator agenda funneling users toward certain content

No there were direct moves by youtube to promote this type of content and change their algos. It didnt matter your watch history. I know those videos still exist because thats what i choose to search for and watch but theres a definite noticeable time period when youtube began pushing the influencer/dedicated content creator agenda funneling users toward certain content
They pushed it because the silent majority enjoys watching other people do more than just how-to’s and funny vids…and the majority is where the money is(YouTube wants them to stay on the site). It’s the same reason they’re pushing YouTube shorts(TikTok competitor).

However, YouTube is so massive at this point that you can spend years never interacting with that section and still having a ton of content to scour without issue.

I guess what I’m saying is that this is like complaining about pop music on the front page of Spotify when you’re a jazz fan. There’s no reason for Spotify to promote jazz when it’s not making them as much money, but it’s still there for anyone to enjoy.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Haven't attempted to watch the video yet, but did that sniperwolf whatsherface succubus get kicked in the nuts by YouTube yet?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Reminds me of this GAF wallpaper I did in the early 00s. So long ago that screens were 4:3

zR9dsgs.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Great for them… what about all the people who send money to IH who didn‘t know what he was doing?

Did you repost this because you think it’s okay for people to plagiarise? I guess you’re anti-hbomberguy? Why?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Watched a lot of the start, then skipped to a later section.

I'm glad this James Somerton guy has had his comeuppance, from the clips I've seen his MO seems to be to steal other people's work, with the non-stolen parts being angry gay rants about how women and non-gays are bad. He criticised a book about being gay because it felt hollow for being written by a straight person - the author just wasn't out of the closet.

Probably won't watch it all, but it's funny to see that.

Overall I don't get the hte HBG gets. Even if I don't fully agree with the opinions, I've enjoyed his videos on games before and he presents his points well. He's earned more respect than a lot of other YouTubers from what I have seen.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’d say that people who send money to content creators deserve this.

So, basically, who cares about people effectively committing fraud, because anyone who ever gave them money is an idiot anyway?

Wow. Let's hope you never get tricked by anybody, eh?

GymWolf

Lmao yt just removed one of my comments where i said that ariel helwani is a sleazy shit stirrer cunt :lollipop_squinting:

SaintALia

He points out Mystery Recapped, which I like, and the bunch of other movie recap channels. They're content mills for sure....but how the fuck are they still up??? They 'summarise' the entire movie and and blatantly use clips from the film. You'd think it'd just be obscure Asian films or older content, but no, a lot are pretty recent.

All they seem to do is use titles which dodge which movie they're about, 'Mysterious Force knocks the moon from it's orbit, ending life as we know it'(Moonfall). And they're a ton of these channels to boot. How is Youtube not copyright striking this content, but someone puts a 10 second clip of something in, their channel gets slammed? Super weird, and it's not like the recap channels heavily edit the movies either.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This video in its entirety is probably longer than every single Tiktok video that's been uploaded twice over. You wanna torture a tiktok user, tie them to a chair and force them to watch this entire thing without getting distracted

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm glad this James Somerton guy has had his comeuppance, from the clips I've seen his MO seems to be to steal other people's work, with the non-stolen parts being angry gay rants about how women and non-gays are bad. He criticised a book about being gay because it felt hollow for being written by a straight person - the author just wasn't out of the closet.
The only video i remember watching from him was on this manhwa called Killing Stalking, thought it was a pretty good analysis. insane to see that this guy's now been ass blasted off the internet for being a copying scumbag.

The Cinemassacre segment is super depressing too. I love AVGN from the classic to the modern and it's a shame to see that his team plagarizes the ever loving fuck out of other people's work, and he doesn't even notice it/care enough to call them out.

Drew1440

For me the bigger issue is reaction steamers 'reacting' to content without giving full credit. Especially those that walk off mid stream and leave the content running.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The only video i remember watching from him was on this manhwa called Killing Stalking, thought it was a pretty good analysis. insane to see that this guy's now been ass blasted off the internet for being a copying scumbag.

The Cinemassacre segment is super depressing too. I love AVGN from the classic to the modern and it's a shame to see that his team plagarizes the ever loving fuck out of other people's work, and he doesn't even notice it/care enough to call them out.
People are saying AVGN is at fault, and they are right that he is ultimately responsible for it, but I get the impression that he tied himself into a situation that he couldn't get out of and the soulless readings of grammatical error-ridden scripts is the result of him having given up. I'm not an AVGN fan and I could be wrong, but it seems more like the scummy company took advantage of him than anything else. There's no way he can be happy with that stuff.

Shouta

People are saying AVGN is at fault, and they are right that he is ultimately responsible for it, but I get the impression that he tied himself into a situation that he couldn't get out of and the soulless readings of grammatical error-ridden scripts is the result of him having given up. I'm not an AVGN fan and I could be wrong, but it seems more like the scummy company took advantage of him than anything else. There's no way he can be happy with that stuff.

That's definitely the case, IMO. It's cleaned up since then. The channel is back to mostly him now and occasionally a new guy that sits on the couch and plays a game with him.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You have to wonder if this will spark off a whole load of YouTube detectives going through people's work looking for plagiarism. I do hope so.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Your malcontent could be applied to just about anything. We visit a forum called NeoGAF, which means our interests are inherently out of lockstep with most of society. The Playstation Store pushes FIFA constantly and I have never purchased a FIFA game in my life. When I get to the cash register at Walmart there’s shitloads of candy and other junk strategically placed to take advantage of soccer moms towing their loud children, and I never buy any of it. When I watch Pluto TV, I’m inundated with corny Peloton and Etsy commercials that are clearly intended for people that are not me.

Separating wheat from chaff is just a fact of life. Youtube is a fantastic resource, especially since it’s insanely easy to just subscribe to the channels you enjoy and to adjust recommendations to lock out entire channels producing horseshit.

bender

What time is it?
Also, Dark Souls 2 is a great game worth defending.

I'd have agreed with you if it weren't for a recent playthrough. That aside, I like hbomb's videos but the arguments presented in his DS2 video are pretty weak.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Overall I don't get the hte HBG gets. Even if I don't fully agree with the opinions, I've enjoyed his videos on games before and he presents his points well. He's earned more respect than a lot of other YouTubers from what I have seen.
Update: I confused hbomberguy for several other gaming video essay creators. hbomberguy hates Fallout 3 and prefers Dark Souls 2 to 1 so he can get fucked, I'm going to go rewatch long videos about MGS games.

The video on plagiarism is still good though.

Delphisage

Why? What’s hbomberguy done?
Don't want to enable a pile-on for other people to gain upvotes, but he's had a bunch of behavioral fall-throughs and a multiple opinions that are flat-out stupid and justified through backwards logic (One example: He thinks Star Trek: Into Darkness is a metacommentary). Also he's got a huge case of Troll's Remorse, and nobody likes a turncoat.

Me personally, I don't like his Never Speak Ill Of The Dead behavior in his RWBY video, or how he seems to treat the entire concept of fandom as equivalent to vandalism and patricide.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I had a feeling this luke stephens guy is full of shit.
He briefly mentions it in Filip part of the video in the beginning.
Turns out Luke stole his bb review and made comparisons to souls games while in fact he only ever played bloodborne.... and there are accusations that he stole, or rather "was heavily inspired" by other creators too.

Anyway - I am still watching this vid. It's pretty crazy

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Update: I confused hbomberguy for several other gaming video essay creators. hbomberguy hates Fallout 3 and prefers Dark Souls 2 to 1 so he can get fucked, I'm going to go rewatch long videos about MGS games.

Dark Souls 2 is my fav souls... but I couldn't say that it's better than 1 or 3 lol. Rather that's a different topic.
And Fallout 3 was great. Flawed but I loved it so much. but I can see why some people would really dislike fallout 3. Especially in retrospective now.

Wildebeest

You just can't be good at that sort of content and have middle of the road opinions. "Ooh, you would never guess, but Bloodborne is my favourite game, it's just so deep and profound the way they go on about blood and old ones and shit, but you know what! I really think the Last Of Us games have some really amazing set pieces and the story really hits you in the guts if you are a sad dad!" Yaaaawn. He can fuck off talking about boring shite like board games and pathologic like being into that toss makes a better person though.

bender

What time is it?

At least he is right half of the time.

Delphisage

This is so internet.

Man bad.
Man reforms.

Internet: “Man was bad!”
The internet never forgives.
And like I said, nobody likes a turncoat. You can never tell if it's an honest reform or a cynical ploy to join the perceived stronger side.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
And like I said, nobody likes a turncoat. You can never tell if it's an honest reform or a cynical ploy to join the perceived stronger side.
Yes it is a problem, and it actually disincentivizes reform.

China 209 BC two generals were going to be late which was punishable by death. They realized that the punish for rebellion was the same as the one for being late, so they decided to rebel and created an uprising.​

Soodanim

Gold Member
Healthy scepticism has its limits. If everyone that was an idiot in their younger days never got credit for maturing then many people would be fucked, and that's the sort of thinking that gets people cancelled for tweets they made a decade ago.

hbomberguy's oldest video is 10 years old, and he's been making what appear to be researched and cited videos ever since. If that's not enough to atone for for the sin of being an...
SA Goon who was hungry for Internet fame and attention. Used to associate with a troll squad and do other mildly degenerate internet shit
...then that says more about the paranoid cynicism of the person holding the grudge, not the person who has by all measurements moved on and done something more productive with his time. You don't have to like his content, his style definitely isn't for everyone. But let's not think like paranoid children here; Occam's Razor.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Don't want to enable a pile-on for other people to gain upvotes, but he's had a bunch of behavioral fall-throughs and a multiple opinions that are flat-out stupid and justified through backwards logic (One example: He thinks Star Trek: Into Darkness is a metacommentary). Also he's got a huge case of Troll's Remorse, and nobody likes a turncoat.

Me personally, I don't like his Never Speak Ill Of The Dead behavior in his RWBY video, or how he seems to treat the entire concept of fandom as equivalent to vandalism and patricide.

The only actual thing you’ve quoted is… him liking Star Trek Into Darkness?

Can you actually link to the things that make him a scumbag, like James Somerton? Or are you literally trying to say the guy is a scumbag for having opinions about things you don’t like?

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
So, absolutely nothing that would mark him out as a scumbag, like the people he’s outing in his latest video then?

Or can you actually point towards something actually bad that backs up what increasingly sounds like a very dumb opinion?
I know stuff he's doing with Mr Metokur but I'm not sure if it's 100% truth. But he ran with him for a while.

Delphisage

Can you actually link to the things that make him a scumbag, like James Somerton? Or are you literally trying to say the guy is a scumbag for having opinions about things you don’t like?
I don't actually think he's scum, and I'm not who called him such. I'm trying to rationalize why Horatius would say he is...
...which is probably stupid because I'm trying to argue on behalf of someone I don't agree with. Maybe we should wait until Horatius clarifies their argument.

hbomberguy's oldest video is 10 years old
His oldest still-public video. He used to have several other older videos that he took down in like 2019.

Last edited:
Top Bottom