• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki Twitter Q&A from 7PM PDT/3AM BST/10 EST on July 3rd #YouaskYu

Spaghetti

Q: Will there be official kickstarter/Shenmue 3 forums to discuss and give feedback throughout the development process?
A: I of course would like that and am looking into it.

Q: Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? or will budget constraints not allow 100% VO all the time?
A: Full voice will be possible if we have enough funding.

danwarb

I don't see how it would hurt the game. With Ryo now in the mountains, it makes sense to me.

As long as the don't go nuts modernizing the controls to the point where it's impossible to navigate confined areas, typical of Shenmue, with consistant animation. No strafing pls.

master15

Q: Will everything be voice acted the same way as 1 and 2? or will budget constraints not allow 100% VO all the time?
A: Full voice will be possible if we have enough funding.

It would be terrible if the games regress and we don't get full Voice Acting. I wonder what that threshold will be.

As long as the don't go nuts modernizing the controls to the point where it's impossible to navigate confined areas, typical of Shenmue, with consistant animation. No strafing pls.

I'm hoping it's similar to Zelda games where he just naturally hops over obstacles. I don't see how a dedicated jump button would really serve a purpose.

Spaghetti

It would be terrible if the games regress and we don't get full Voice Acting. I wonder what that threshold will be.
seeing how it isn't a stretch goal, it might be something determined by outside funding rather than the kickstarter funds

that's a good way of compartmentalising it actually.

Spaghetti

Q: also can we expect custom clothing for Ryo Hazuki it would be great feature to able to style Ryo Hazuki as we want
A: There's a feature on the $250 tier and up to change Ryo's jacket. Other customizing under consideration

well, ryo does need a change of clothes...

master15

Q: My question is why is not possible to use (Shenmue Passport) models for the Shenmue 3?

A:I'm considering about adding some functions from Shenmue Passport.

Passport models for reference:

51698-Shenmue_Passport_(PAL)-2.jpg

51698-Shenmue_Passport_(PAL)-3.jpg

benzy

Yeah, strafing would be weird, lol. I've always found Ninja Gaiden Black's movements/controls for Ryu to be a natural evolution of how Ryo would move in terms of walking, turning, running, attacking in a modern Shenmue, just at a slower pace.

The jumping could similarly be used for battling and add another layer to the attacks.

Spaghetti

Q: Where did Ryo got his band aid?
A: It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match

whoah! genuine shenmue mystery has been answered.

master15

Q: Where did Ryo got his band aid?
A: It didn't appear in Chp.1, but there was a martial arts event. The scar is from the final match

whoah! genuine shenmue mystery has been answered.

Very interesting reply. I love how there is all these backstories that were never featured in the games.

Spaghetti

Q: Shenmue's core plot is basically Hamlet - are you a Shakespeare fan & has that been an influence?
A: Sorry, but I have not read Hamlet. I know Hamtaro though.

Q: I always wondered how ryo , being Japanese, could communicate so easy in China. Can ryo speak Chinese?
A: Let's not go there...

LOL

Blunoise

Q: Shenmue's core plot is basically Hamlet - are you a Shakespeare fan & has that been an influence?
A: Sorry, but I have not read Hamlet. I know Hamtaro though.

Q: I always wondered how ryo , being Japanese, could communicate so easy in China. Can ryo speak Chinese?
A: Let's not go there...

LOL

Haha. Game logic

Flandy

I hope someone asks about re-releasing the first two games for those of us who missed the Dreamcast.
I asked but I doubt it'll be answered
https://twitter.com/theflandy/status/617159570306142208
Wording is a bit wonky because I could barely just fit it into the character limit

Its not up to them.
I imagine shenmue 3 wasn't up to them either but they managed to get it. Is there licensing issues or something preventing an hd remaster?

master15

Q: How was your day?

A: It is Shenmue Day, so on Twitter with everyone. So many participating, I couldn't be happier. Rewards sold out! Thanks all!!

Q: What did YU name the kitten?

A: I think I named her with dog names, like Pochi or Gontaro.

I imagine shenmue 3 wasn't up to them either but they managed to get it. Is there licensing issues or something preventing an hd remaster?

Supposedly the first two games licensed technology from a now defunct company and figuring out the patent holders would be costly. Add to that Sega's other remasters not selling especially well and it wasn't worth it.

Flandy

Supposedly the first two games licensed technology from a now defunct company and figuring out the patent owners would be costly. Add to that Sega's other remasters not selling especially well and it wasn't worth it.
Oh what a shame :( I've never played them but backed this anyway just because of how passionate the fan base about it is. Maybe I should look into emulating them I guess.

master15

Q: Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet?

A:The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower

(I thought their parents said that in flashback scene or am I misremembering?)

Q: Will Ryo learn the value of forgiveness in Shenmue 3?

A: Please play Shenmue 3 for that answer!

(Xuixing may get her wish)

master15

Q: Since relationships between characters will be more prominent, will we see something like a multiple choice conversation system?

A: I am thinking about a dialogue selection system

(Similar to Guilin conversations with Shenhua in Shenmue 2?)

Q: Why does Ryo have a Saturn under his tv in Shenmue 1 but no games? Was Iwao using the promise of a game for it to focus Ryo? :p

A: That sounds about right. Let's go with that

(Iwao was a real nazi. Forcing Ryo to eat carrots and taking away his videogame!)

Aki-at

Q: Hello Suzuki-san, do you have a rough idea how many people will be in the development team for Shenmue 3?
A: It will vary depending on the KS budget.

CURSES! I knew I should have been more specific when I asked that question :E

SUZUKI ACKNOWLEDGE ME! *Fangirl squeal*

miku

Q: Suzuki-san, can you please tell us some little info about Shenhua that the fans don't already know yet?

A:The Shenmue tree's flower is named Shenhua. She is named after that flower

Wow, he answered my question I tweeted about an hour ago :O

master15

I think that's it guys. Last message from Suzuki:

Thank you so much everyone! More happy announcements to come. Hope I can count on your continued support!

Edit: He never answered my questions :( I asked a few different questions but I wanted to know if Shenmue III ever started active development on Dreamcast? And if so how far did development progress.

J2 Cool

So cool of him. My only concern is the models he wont use so much. Ryo should have black hair in temp its an easy design choice

Erevador

Really good Q&A. Liked that he answered the questions he had answers too, and was open about the things he wasn't yet sure about.

Also FASCINATING to hear the back story on the band-aid. I don't think that's ever been spelled out before.

Maligna

Banned
Also FASCINATING to hear the back story on the band-aid. I don't think that's ever been spelled out before.

True. He said scar, so I'm going to assume now there are some stitches under that plaster. Take that thing off bro, let it breathe!

Top Bottom