• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
wiiu on the left, switch on the right?

Yup. Easy way to tell with any HUD-having screenshot is with the d-pad in the top left. Traditional plus vs split buttons.

Repostin for new page:

61pcy--ehpl._sl1280_j8su2.jpg
71bbb9gksbl._sl1500_vbsbe.jpg

The difference between the first two screen shots is huge. The field in the distance has much more detail and the river being lit by the setting sun is nice.

This top is in a few of the shots but here it looks the most green. Definitely different from the usual one we're used to seeing in promo for the game but perhaps not THE tunic?

This is called the Quilted Shirt, I believe? Anyways Link gets in on the plateau. It grants him frost resistance.

PtM

Banned
So Switch version renders in two different resolutions, right?
Does WiiU do the same, meaning 480p on the GamePad?

That's in the game. Gimme' a second to find a video.

Edit - Here you go It's at the 18 minute mark.

I didn't notice it before but they confirm Octorocks in this video, around 17:30. I couldn't get a good look at it but you can see the rocks being shot at Link and one of the Treehouse staff mentioning a nearby Octorock.

Not surprising that they're in, but I still haven't seen this mentioned.

WadeitOut

So Switch version renders in two different resolutions, right?
Does WiiU do the same, meaning 480p on the GamePad?

No. The Wii U displays the same as it's just streamed. Everything on the GP is 480 though because that's the resolution of the display.

EhoaVash

in the new zelda trailer theres a giant creature with some weird looking legs, it instantly reminded me of the Zou island elephant from One piece. its feet are very similar to the giant creature.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Question GAF, should I hook up my Switch dock to my 42 inch 1080 LED or my 27 inch 1440 monitor?

42 inch 1080p LED. Game will be 900p and deserves a big screen. You're not losing definition by using a 1080p TV instead of that monitor. It would just upscale.

m051293

Anyone else spot the stadium/Colosseum-like structure immediately northwest of the Great Plateau? If you follow the Great Plateau's northern border, you're faced with a large mountain/cliff on the right of the road. On the north side of this cliff, lies a large stadium in partial ruins. This stadium lies on a kind of mini peninsula surrounded by water on three sides.

It is briefly visible in the 1/13 Treehouse footage, when Nate jumps off of the Great Plateau Tower.

BBToLXP.png

I've marked Nate's flight path and circled this stadium in red.

UxyUubk.png

We get a better shot of this in one of Polygon's videos. They're a little bit further up north at a Bokoblin outpost (this is marked with a light blue dot on the above map) during the day time. We catch a glimpse of the bridge that splits the body of water and provides access to the stadium's front entrance from Hyrule Field.

OJVbJRS.png

4zDeDYh.png

Seems of substantial size, but its a fair bit off from the castle and castle town. If EngineeringHyrule's measurement estimates are correct, this is just under 2KM away from the castle. Be interesting to imagine what purpose this may have served in a pre-calamity Hyrule. I cannot think of any similar structure in a previous game off the top of my head.

EDIT: On second thought, it is similar to Arbiter's Grounds but is clearly nowhere near the desert.

So what do you guys think? Will there be a day/night cycle while in towns?

without a doubt yes, and NPC schedules/shop closures/potential enemy spawns along with that. i really only see those cycles being suspended in shrines. too lazy to check gameplay examples, but does the clock keep ticking in shrines?

edit: just checked, the clock indicator disappears but time passes as usual... interesting (Nate's recent treehouse video, enters shrine at 11:40, exits and it's 1:25)

Cerium

With day/night and weather cycles being so important, and knowing that we are able to teleport around, I cannot imagine that there is no instrument in this game. And I think we would've seen that instrument if it weren't a spoiler. I'm convinced the return of the Ocarina is neigh.

Kevin

without a doubt yes, and NPC schedules/shop closures/potential enemy spawns along with that. i really only see those cycles being suspended in shrines. too lazy to check gameplay examples, but does the clock keep ticking in shrines?

If this is indeed the case then this has me specially excited. It was one of the things I loved most about Majora's Mask and then I think they dropped Day/Night cycles in towns for the rest of the Zelda series (correct me if I am wrong).

If this is indeed the case then this has me specially excited. It was one of the things I loved most about Majora's Mask and then I think they dropped Day/Night cycles in towns for the rest of the Zelda series (correct me if I am wrong).

Twilight Princess i remember having full cycle, at least in hyrule castle. Skyward didn't have a day/night cycle and wind waker stopped time when you landed in an island.

Kevin

Twilight Princess i remember having full cycle, at least in hyrule castle. Skyward didn't have a day/night cycle and wind waker stopped time when you landed in an island.

It would be pretty neat if the entire game has a day and night cycle no matter where you go.

spoilers regarding the game that i just read in an interview with ign portugal:
You can find epona in the game, but aonuma said that he wouldn't say how or the reason for her being in it.

Cerium

spoilers regarding the game that i just read in an interview with ign portugal:
You can find epona in the game, but aonuma said that he wouldn't say how or the reason for her being in it.

As far as I'm concerned that confirms the
Hero of Time
theories.

I've missed you buddy.

Cerium

What are the theories?

This is the Hero of Time from the downfall timeline, and the instrument of the game is the Ocarina of Time. It will tie in directly with how Link's defeat created a third timeline branch off of OOT.

It's worth remembering that Ganon only exists in the downfall timeline; in every other timeline he is still Ganondorf. In the child timeline he was executed before he ever became Ganon, and in the adult timeline he was sealed away as Ganondorf and presently lies at the bottom of the ocean with the Master Sword lodged in his forehead.

It would be pretty neat if the entire game has a day and night cycle no matter where you go.

i am almost 100% sure that this will be the case, the game is much more dynamic and seamless than past zelda titles. I just wonder what will happen if it's raining and lightning strikes the towns.

I mean thats the entire crux of this game's world and all the interconnected systems of flora and fauna and weather. You're never really loading in to and out of areas (cept for the shrines, but even then time is passing as normal). The only way we've seen so far to jump around in time is by resting at bonfires.

watershed

Banned
Anyone else spot the stadium/Colosseum-like structure immediately northwest of the Great Plateau? If you follow the Great Plateau's northern border, you're faced with a large mountain/cliff on the right of the road. On the north side of this cliff, lies a large stadium in partial ruins. This stadium lies on a kind of mini peninsula surrounded by water on three sides.

It is briefly visible in the 1/13 Treehouse footage, when Nate jumps off of the Great Plateau Tower.

BBToLXP.png

I've marked Nate's flight path and circled this stadium in red.

UxyUubk.png

We get a better shot of this in one of Polygon's videos. They're a little bit further up north at a Bokoblin outpost (this is marked with a light blue dot on the above map) during the day time. We catch a glimpse of the bridge that splits the body of water and provides access to the stadium's front entrance from Hyrule Field.

OJVbJRS.png

4zDeDYh.png

Seems of substantial size, but its a fair bit off from the castle and castle town. If EngineeringHyrule's measurement estimates are correct, this is just under 2KM away from the castle. Be interesting to imagine what purpose this may have served in a pre-calamity Hyrule. I cannot think of any similar structure in a previous game off the top of my head.

EDIT: On second thought, it is similar to Arbiter's Grounds but is clearly nowhere near the desert.
Nice find. I'm so glad that this Hyrule seems to be populated with little touches of ancient architecture and really cool geological features like the giant hollow husk of a huge tree in one of the new screenshots. Exploring is going to be amazing.

I know I personally won't find the world too empty as I loved exploring every nook and cranny of the world in SOTC and that is probably literally the most empty "open world" of all time. But man was that forbidden land absolutely fascinating to explore.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man the thread comparing the final versions of both systems is going to be crazy. That being said, I'm thinking about keeping my Switch preorder so far. Combined there seem to be a lot of small improvements that make a difference combined (loading, resolution, detail). Also glad to hear it's got the new rumble. I keep going back and forth, but I would probably keep thinking I'm playing the inferior version if I went with WiiU. Probably not going to buy a pro controller yet though. Reports say that the gripped joycons feel very similar.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I noticed that, unlike in the E3 demo, whenever they go through a Shrine, they never actually finish it. Like they don't want to show us the Sheikah Monk and what they give you, even tho we know what it is.

I wonder if something changed.

doop_

Banned
I noticed that, unlike in the E3 demo, whenever they go through a Shrine, they never actually finish it. Like they don't want to show us the Sheikah Monk and what they give you, even tho we know what it is.

I wonder if something changed.
Maybe something to do with the spirit orbs. At E3 they said that they have a different purpose, like maybe unlocking Link's memories ?

Vash63

Man the thread comparing the final versions of both systems is going to be crazy. That being said, I'm thinking about keeping my Switch preorder so far. Combined there seem to be a lot of small improvements that make a difference combined (loading, resolution, detail). Also glad to hear it's got the new rumble. I keep going back and forth, but I would probably keep thinking I'm playing the inferior version if I went with WiiU. Probably not going to buy a pro controller yet though. Reports say that the gripped joycons feel very similar.

That's my hope. If the gripped joycons are close enough I can just buy another set and have 4 player, won't need to worry about having a pro controller at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom