• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
We haven't seen the black hood since the Game Awards footage from 2014. I wonder if that's still in the game.

iFirez

We haven't seen the black hood since the Game Awards footage from 2014. I wonder if that's still in the game.
I can't remember the inventory screen off the top of my head but I think there's a head slot so I imagine it's an item you can get and equip there, maybe it increases stealth.

Those of you buying the japanese version of the game, is it confirmed that it includes all audios and it will change depending on the language configuration of your Switch console?

It's on an amiiibo

Seems to be maximum stealth if I had to guess

I could see it boosting your stealth but also helping you handle the hotter temperature areas in the game; of course then it should be a solid white hood to make sense in that context... hmmm

Anyway, at this point I think one of the things I want to see more than anything is plenty of cavernous areas in the game in which you get nearly pitch black scenarios necessitating a torch or possible using certain illuminating powers of the slate that slowly drain. Not just the nighttime overworld look that is well lit by moonlight. Theyve just put so much time in to the lighting engine of the game, and the fire tech/properties/mechanics. Would be a missed opportunity to achieve areas of unique additional tension. maybe gradually light little flammable pieces as you spelunk further. OOooo,also caves in the colder regions that have large pretty crystal formations

Xdrive05

Anyway, at this point I think one of the things I want to see more than anything is plenty of cavernous areas in the game in which you get nearly pitch black scenarios necessitating a torch or possible using certain illuminating powers of the slate that slowly drain. Not just the nighttime overworld look that is well lit by moonlight. Theyve just put so much time in to the lighting engine of the game, and the fire tech/properties/mechanics. Would be a missed opportunity to achieve areas of unique additional tension. maybe gradually light little flammable pieces as you spelunk further. OOooo,also caves in the colder regions that have large pretty crystal formations

Do we know yet if there will even be cavernous areas in the game? I don't remember seeing any screens or discussion about it. I'm hoping it's proper underground caves like Skyrim, and not just the Shrines stuff.

well we've already seen clear evidence of cavernous interiors that are very likely dug in to Death Mountain and thus well lit by lava flows, and you start the dang game in a cave type bit that isnt a shrine you load in to or out of. To think there wont be cave systems in the game is pretty silly given the subtitle and focus on the natural element. i just want some of them to be real dark

Do we know yet if there will even be cavernous areas in the game? I don't remember seeing any screens or discussion about it. I'm hoping it's proper underground caves like Skyrim, and not just the Shrines stuff.

The latest trailer showed some areas that appear to be inside caves (like the scene with the Lizalfos breathing fire at Link).

I thought that was inside a dungeon but interesting take on it.

If we're assuming the dungeons are inside
the divine beasts
then that doesn't really look like what you'd expect.

I really have no idea if that's the case though. I'm very, very hopeful for a variety of interior locations like caves, ruins, buildings sorta like Skyrim has, but so far I'm not sure this will have all that much of that. I was hoping that the 100 shrines would have different aesthetics so that they could take the place of some of those types of interiors, but it doesn't seem to be happening yet.

even if it is inside a 'dungeon' setting you'll almost definitely just be directly transitioning from greater overworld to dungeon through on screen text notification. that area will be just as much part of the greater overworld architecture as anything else. caves are caves

Im guessing most of the shrines will be quite similar with subtle color palette design shifts. they seem to be getting across very particular aesthetic used by the Shiekah centering around extremely smooth surfaces that cant be climbed

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized: if the joycon shell really doesn't do anything, I can just relive the Wii nunchuck days of sleazing on a couch with my arms hanging about wherever! Come to me, Zelda switch

I just realized: if the joycon shell really doesn't do anything, I can just relive the Wii nunchuck days of sleazing on a couch with my arms hanging about wherever! Come to me, Zelda switch

also very much looking forward to that, and now sans any sort of tether! Just need to know which joycon is measured for the gyro aiming (or if they both play in to that collectively) when the system recognizes that the joy con are removed from the switch and not in any sort of grip. For that matter will the system and software be able to tell when those controllers are being held freehand without the wrist strap spine add-ons or bound to a grip?

jonno394

It definitely won't. Most of the action takes place in the overworld or in the shrines. I don't think there will be a lot of other caves tbh.

I was thinking that, but then I started just comparing the caves in skyrim to the shrines in Zelda. Aren't there 100+ apparently.

I am slightly concerned about the size of the world map if i'm being honest.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It definitely won't. Most of the action takes place in the overworld or in the shrines. I don't think there will be a lot of other caves tbh.

Well I mean technically the Shrines are BotWs caves. It's very likely many will be combat focused and they all do seem to have at least a chest or two in them. And there are over 100 of them.

takriel

I was thinking that, but then I started just comparing the caves in skyrim to the shrines in Zelda. Aren't there 100+ apparently.

I am slightly concerned about the size of the world map if i'm being honest.

Well I mean technically the Shrines are BotWs caves. It's very likely many will be combat focused and they all do seem to have at least a chest or two in them. And there are over 100 of them.

Sure, the shrines are many and will be awesome. But we shouldn't expect many traditional caves, as the user I quoted seems to expect.

I'm sure there will be some caves, maybe even large ones, just not so many as in Skyrim.

Sure, the shrines are many and will be awesome. But we shouldn't expect many traditional caves, as the user I quoted seems to expect.

I'm sure there will be some caves, maybe even large ones, just not so many as in Skyrim.
I was using caves as a general term and was including shrines in the total I was hoping for. I should have been more clear haha. But a quick search tells me that Skyrim had around 350 discoverable locations including the DLC. 120 shrines only leaves 230 more places for Nintendo to stick in. This would actually be the perfect game to bring back the little hidden grottos and fairy fountains like OoT had.

KooopaKid

Banned
I was using caves as a general term and was including shrines in the total I was hoping for. I should have been more clear haha. But a quick search tells me that Skyrim had around 350 discoverable locations including the DLC. 120 shrines only leaves 230 more places for Nintendo to stick in. This would actually be the perfect game to bring back the little hidden grottos and fairy fountains like OoT had.

Skyrim caves are randomly generated tier.

Didn't we see it in that small clip that accompanied TPHD in November 2015?

2965039-2016.jpg

Knowing there's a bunch of different outfits in the game, I'm not sure we can say how important the hood is, but at the same time, they've shown him wearing it multiple times, so you would think it was more than just a random pick-up.

Yeah. Aesthetically, Skyrim's Caves and similar structures are supposed to make the world more convincing. But gameplay wise they are completely devoid of any sort of goal that isn't the generic clear out the area. At least with shrines, they try to teach important mechanics, or have more varied situations to beat.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
How's that? A cave is a landscape feature. I'd be a bit disappointed if we don't end up doing some light spelunking while exploring Hyrule.

In that they perform a similar function. An interior for the player to explore and find a moderate challenge for some kind of reward. Skyrim's caves were mostly just tunnels to a chest, with some requiring a pretty straight forward puzzle or two and plenty of enemies. BotW's Shrines will be much more puzzle based, but some will be combat focused. The end goal though is to provide a more confined and refined experience compared to the exterior open world.

You also have to consider the fact that BotW will likely have a lot more exterior locations to interact with than Skyrim had due to the greater freedom and mobility of Link. Being able to actually climb any surface should allow them a lot more freedom to create interesting locations in the world and not just with interiors. Raw numbers isn't likely a good metric to judge things.

takriel

Seriously, Breath of the Wild is the next evolution in open-world game design, after Skyrim (or arguably Witcher 3). I don't think it will be beat for a long time in that regard.

Yeah a lot of them were poo but it's nice to have different options. Exploring in Zelda will be great and the shrines will be leagues beyond Skyrim caves (most of them, I still enjoy the Dwemer ruins) but if I ever get tired of exploring I wouldn't mind having the option of popping into a linear cave with Link and hunting for a chest. If we can revisit shrines (especially combat ones) after a short cool down then I will be happy.

Seriously, Breath of the Wild is the next evolution in open-world game design, after Skyrim (or arguably Witcher 3). I don't think it will be beat for a long time in that regard.

I don't think it's a evolution as much as it's a refinement and streamlining of the open-world design concept put forth by classic PC RPGs much like how Zelda 1 did the same decades back.

We should play the game first.

I think we have enough info to understand what they're going for, execution is another thing, but the concept of what they're trying to do here is simply not following trends blindly but actually looking at other parts of the industry taking what works and putting them together in a way that hasn't been done previously. When was the last time you saw a AAA Open world game designing its quests around the lack of Quest markers?

Well I think we can all agree that it will be better than Horizon.

only joking but I do love watching those comparison threads fall apart.

I think we have enough info to understand what they're going for, execution is another thing, but the concept of what they're trying to do here is simply not following trends blindly but actually looking at other parts of the industry taking what works and putting them together in a way that hasn't been done previously. When was the last time you saw a AAA Open world game designing its quests around the lack of Quest markers?

Morrowind. I see SO much of Morrowind in BotW and it's making me giddy.

How's your feature compilation thread coming?

Jedi2016

I don't know about revolutionizing anything... It's not really doing anything new, it's just doing all the things that we really like.

The more I see of it, the more I get kind of a Dark Souls vibe from it, in that it encourages and rewards exploration and going off the beaten path, and that all of the lore appears to come from item descriptions.. lol. Seeing all the videos actually makes me want to go back and play more DS3.

Morrowind. I see SO much of Morrowind in BotW and it's making me giddy.

How's your feature compilation thread coming?

Not Great to say the least. Honestly, I feel like Gamexplain pouring over the details in videos and developer commentaries. Plus, reality is kinda hitting me hard right now so I've got a lot on my plate and the thread just takes less priority right now.

I don't know about revolutionizing anything... It's not really doing anything new, it's just doing all the things that we really like.

The more I see of it, the more I get kind of a Dark Souls vibe from it, in that it encourages and rewards exploration and going off the beaten path, and that all of the lore appears to come from item descriptions.. lol. Seeing all the videos actually makes me want to go back and play more DS3.

It's funny, I see it like Morrowind in how the world and quest system is structured, and like Dark Souls in the way equipment and combat is structured.

Morrowind x Dark Souls would probably be the greatest combination game for my tastes.

Not Great to say the least. Honestly, I feel like Gamexplain pouring over the details in videos and developer commentaries. Plus, reality is kinda hitting me hard right now so I've got a lot on my plate and the thread just takes less priority right now.

No rush, I was just curious since there is indeed SO much going on in this game.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I can't stand Soulsborne at all, it takes the worst aspects of gaming and throws them in a blender imo.

The further Zelda is from Souls, the better. Love me some Elder Scrolls-esque elements, though.

Ser Booty

If there's something I've learned through my unhealthy consumption of BOTW trailer reaction videos, its how much people seem to love Zelda. Don't get me wrong, I love her too, but seeing as she's only come into focus in more recent Zelda games, I'm surprised at her popularity. Nintendo should really consider putting her more in the forefront in terms of their mascots and their brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom