• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

13ruce

Banned
Does anyone have tips on how to max the wolf link amiibo's hearts? I want to keep Wolf Link alive as long as possible when i have BotW, so i am gonna play through TPHD again get all 20 hearts first.

When is the best time to enter the cave of shadows ingame? I heard you can save your hearts before floor 40. Is this true?

brad-t

You actually cried?

lol I cry every time I watch this trailer and my girlfriend who's only ever played Wind Waker also did. I don't think it's necessarily due to the trailer's dramatic beats (although they're great); it's just clear, in every single one of this game's showings, how much love and care has gone into making it a great experience.

That's what makes it emotional, and it's what makes Nintendo special compared to other console manufacturers, too.

I've watched and read a lot of sci-fi involving branched timelines, but I don't think I've ever seen anything about timeline reunification, especially with THREE timelines. How does that even work? Does the character have to go back in time and stop the even that causes the split in the first place? And doesn't that just either 1) create more timelines or 2) create a paradox since the timeline the person is from gets overwritten, meaning they could have never gone back in time in the first place?

I know Fringe had different dimensions, but I think those play out differently than timelines. Unless it's semantics? Someone help I'm super interested in this but I don't understand how it works!

Cerium

I've watched and read a lot of sci-fi involving branched timelines, but I don't think I've ever seen anything about timeline reunification, especially with THREE timelines. How does that even work? Does the character have to go back in time and stop the even that causes the split in the first place? And doesn't that just either 1) create more timelines or 2) create a paradox since the timeline the person is from gets overwritten, meaning they could have never gone back in time in the first place?

I know Fringe had different dimensions, but I think those play out differently than timelines. Unless it's semantics? Someone help I'm super interested in this but I don't understand how it works!

This game will not be timeline reunification.

However, the idea is that Calamity Ganon does some multiversal shit and destroys the timelines causing them to bleed together.

oti

Banned

However, the idea is that Calamity Ganon does some multiversal shit and destroys the timelines causing them to bleed together.

How cool would it be of BoTW would do this and be the last Zelda game as we know it.

Next Zelda game is a completely new mythos. New timeline. New hero. No Triforce anymore.

still on the timeline convergence bandwagon, and will continue to be until I see otherwise

the idea of further complicating this timeline is about the worst idea since making an official timeline, converge/unify and simplify

Oh shiiiit Hyrule Warriors to become canon after Breath of the Wild

(I have not played Hyrule Warriors yet so I don't actually know what the plot is other than it's not canon)

Cerium

They only just got done using Skyward Sword to provide an origin story, they're not going to reboot the whole thing now.

I'd like to see them go back to the Wind Waker timeline or finally give us the third Hero of Time game.

Coffinhal

Just watched the video. Yeah the Japanese voice is hot garbage. Why the fuck she sounded like someone stabbed here?

Same in French, especially Zelda's voice, but others are mediocre too

Shoul've stayed muted, you don't always need words spoken, especially when you don't have the budget, time and ressources to do proper voice acting

So sad!

AniHawk

zelda's english voice, from what we've heard, sounds like she might be going for strong/royal. the japanese voice sounds like a teenage girl (especially the 'open your eyes' part). for the purposes of the trailer, the japanese voice works a lot better. as a trailer, it's trying to get you excited and elicit an emotional response. in-game, the english might be the better choice. i don't think there's going to be dramatic music swelling whenever zelda speaks.

also the english king/old man sounds pretty good the more i've heard. the great deku tree and the old lady/impa sound not so good.

How cool would it be of BoTW would do this and be the last Zelda game as we know it.

Next Zelda game is a completely new mythos. New timeline. New hero. No Triforce anymore.

What is the point? They can't get rid of everything besides the swords and sorcery theme, then it might as well not even be Zelda.

What you are suggesting is change for the sake of change.

xtianmarq

I could hang with that. I loved Majora's Mask - no Zelda, no Triforce and most importantly, no Ganon. It was still LOZ but with a twist. They need to change up the formula a bit - it's getting tiresome knowing who the final boss is ALWAYS gonna be before you've even started playing the game. I'm still hopeful that
Calamity Ganon
might not be the "final" boss of BOTW - we'll see.

Oh shiiiit Hyrule Warriors to become canon after Breath of the Wild

(I have not played Hyrule Warriors yet so I don't actually know what the plot is other than it's not canon)
I've only played a bit over half way, and Hyrule Warriors for sure seems canon to me. I know Anouma said its not...but it basically is so I view it as canon. It clearly takes place
after Twilight Princess and maybe FSA since I never played FSA. Three eras merge with the HW version of Hyrule, but they all say that these eras are from the past. So a game after TP means it makes sense because OoT is in all timelines aswell as SS since that was before the split. Its canon as canon can get so I will view it as canon.

People waiting for timeline convergence will be so disappointed...
Agreed. The different timelines are quit great at being different. Failed is sorta end of the world feeling (except Tri Force Heroes lol) Twilight timeline is sorta've weird/creepy games. (Majora's Mask, TP has wierd Wolf Link/twilight and has various creepy scenes, maybe not FSA since again I haven't played it yet. Hope for a VC release on NS.) and Wind Waker timeline is all cel shaded.

We need a another game in the Twilight timeline. Its so empty and been dead since 2006.

I'm repeating myself but it is the music that makes you so pumped watching the trailer.

Good lord, it's such a beautiful piece of music. Soothing at first, then ominous, and it ends heroic with a variation on the Zelda theme. And it's so grand. I wonder how big the orchestra used was.

Cerium

We need a another game in the Twilight timeline. Its so empty and been dead since 2006.

I've been seriously hungry for a Majora's Mask followup for years and years and years. I want Link to find Navi dammit.

How would a timeline convergence even work?

As I mentioned earlier, the theory (which I do not subscribe to whatsoever) is that Calamity Ganon breaks down the barriers between timelines and everything starts bleeding together.

The only reason people believe this is because we've seen elements from all three timelines in the trailers.

That ignores the possibility that these elements might have arisen independently in the downfall timeline.

I've been seriously hungry for a Majora's Mask followup for years and years and years. I want Link to find Navi dammit.

As I mentioned earlier, the theory (which I do not subscribe to whatsoever) is that Calamity Ganon breaks down the barriers between timelines and everything starts bleeding together.

The only reason people believe this is because we've seen elements from all three timelines in the trailers.

That ignores the possibility that these elements might have arisen independently in the downfall timeline.

that's far from the only way it could happen, could be a dragon's break, could just be an even in parallel timelines that coincide across them all. people assume that the starting point in a timeline is the only shared portion, but events can happen across multiple or even all planes.

could be nintendo's way of admitting the split timeline itself was dumb, and there are no order of events other then the starting point (skyward sword) and end point, and what we knew as seperate timelines were really just isolated events through the years.

Cerium

that's far from the only way it could happen, could be a dragon's break, could just be an even in parallel timelines that coincide across them all. people assume that the starting point in a timeline is the only shared portion, but events can happen across multiple or even all planes.

Those other possibilities you mention seem impractical when Hyrule literally doesn't exist in the Wind Waker timeline anymore and everyone is on a different continent.

well the one thing we can all agree on is that the idea of a further timeline split at skyward sword was a gross idea that we are all happy faded into non topic correct?

Smellycat

Zelda was was walkin2 kakariko village wit her bf Link n they were crossin da bridge of Eldin. (Dis is so sad btw mak U cry in Japanese.)

she sed "bbz wil u luv me in 50 yers"

he said "NO.."

Zelda gurl cryed N ran and jumped into Lake Hulia

Link was cryin and went to pic up her body.

she was ded

he whsipered 2 her corpse

"I ment 2 sey I will luv u in 100 yers..." (dat mean he luv her evn mor)

I cry evertim cauze dat wat hopened 100 yers ago

The timeline is not even ultra complicated and nintendo knows that the fans love to discuss it. The biggest element from other timeline (if this is a follow up to AoL) are the koroks. The koroks aren't the be all end all of defining the timeline.

And i wouldn't want them to change the mythos, losing all the races for example would be sad. I think that after finally "defining" a timeline, it wouldn't make much sense to "converge" it or in the next game abandon everything now. But hey, i'm open to new ideas.

With 99% certainty, this is a straight up Zelda II sequel starring the original Link.

I'm pretty confident this is post AoL but I'm still not convinced it's the same Link. He has the sideburns and all, but I don't know if that timing really works out. Wasn't Hyrule kinda in shambles during Zelda 1 and 2? I don't even think we had evidence of a Hyrule castle existing then.

But I suppose they could be retconning that due to the NES technology.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm pretty confident this is post AoL but I'm still not convinced it's the same Link. He has the sideburns and all, but I don't know if that timing really works out. Wasn't Hyrule kinda in shambles during Zelda 1 and 2? I don't even think we had evidence of a Hyrule castle existing then.

But I suppose they could be retconning that due to the NES technology.

Not to mention there would also be two Princess Zeldas. At least the whole state of the Kingdom thing could be fudged since the NES games didn't exactly have a ton of detail to them on that. AoL certainly had no shortages of towns, so it couldn't have been all bad.

But I just don't see them having us play a previous Link. It's too messy and just unnecessary really beyond nostalgia's sake. Making it set a few generations or more after AoL just makes things easier.

Not to mention there would also be two Princess Zeldas. At least the whole state of the Kingdom thing could be fudged since the NES games didn't exactly have a ton of detail to them on that. AoL certainly had no shortages of towns, so it couldn't have been all bad.

But I just don't see them having us play a previous Link. It's too messy and just unnecessary really beyond nostalgia's sake. Making it set a few generations or more after AoL just makes things easier.

I think post AoL it's implied that sleeping Zelda and Link got it on, so it's possible that the BotW Link could be their descendent. I think non-sleeping Zelda was the actual princess at that point, so Link and Zelda 2's children wouldn't be considered royalty. So we get no messy incest notes with BotW Link and Zelda.

Assuming Hyrulean feudal succession works similarly to Medieval England's that is.

The biggest hint to me that the Koroks in this game are in no way tied to Wind Waker is the fact that when you converse with them, they're simply named "Korok" instead of having the names they did in Wind Waker (Irch, Oakin, Rown, Hollo, Linder and Olivio).

Cerium

The biggest hint to me that the Koroks in this game are in no way tied to Wind Waker is the fact that when you converse with them, they're simply named "Korok" instead of having the names they did in Wind Waker (Irch, Oakin, Rown, Hollo, Linder and Olivio).
Well, according to the guide, there's like 900 of them so naming them all was probably inconvenient.

Well there's 900 of them, you can't expect them to name them all.

Edit: Oh shit we posted at the same time!

Well, according to the guide, there's like 900 of them so naming them all was probably inconvenient.

Oh, that's true! 900 seems excessive to me, I'm hoping it's actually 90 and they just made a typo.

Edit: Unless it's similar to Skyward Sword's Gratitude Crystals where you can get a certain amount for different quests. 900 individual Koroks that just give you one seed each would be a little strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom