• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

budpikmin

Can I just confirm something? If I buy the Japanese copy of the game with the nice Ghibli style logo will it play in English on my English language system?

I live in Europe and don't like our cover..

13ruce

Banned
The problem isn't how he got her body, it's that her body is gone. It literally vanishes as she gives Midna her power. That's the type of thing you'd expect if a character is dying completely to save someone else.

Anyway, this thread isn't about TP. BotW seems to have a very big focus on the journey of Link and Zelda in the past, which is better than we typically get in these games. It would be nice if she wasn't sidelined for the majority of the present, but that sure seems like it will be the case.

I certainly agree with that it's very strange it even happened after the hyrule castle part was cleansed of twilight right? So it could not have been that. And yeah the thread is about BotW ofcourse:p

Rewatched the trailer again today and it still hits me in the feels it's the perfect trailer for a Zelda game.

Can I just confirm something? If I buy the Japanese copy of the game with the nice Ghibli style logo will it play in English on my English language system?

I live in Europe and don't like our cover..

I hate our cover compared to everyone else's. I emailed Nintendo to see if it's a reversible cover but they haven't replied yet.

If you guys remember from the Game Awards gameplay, Bill stopped playing right before he stepped near a shrine to the Goddess Hylia, as he didn't want to spoil us. There is also a similar shrine at the Temple of Time on the Great Plateau.

I think there might be a connection between these Hylia shrines (which are separate from the Shiekah shrine mini-dungeons) and the main dungeons of the game. I'm thinking that the instrument, be the Ocarina of Time or a Shiekah Rune or whatnot, might be the key to activating these true environmental dungeons, and that they might be associated with time travel.

We've counted five pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle, each of which might be connected to a true main dungeon. The four beasts might be mini-dungeons or separate dungeons that in reality, might just be really creative boss battles that you can enter and deactivate.

I'm betting the Hylia statues are more about recovering memories. Praying at one will either unlock Link's memory or actually send him back into the past to relive his memory. Hoping for the latter!!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm betting the Hylia statues are more about recovering memories. Praying at one will either unlock Link's memory or actually send him back into the past to relive his memory. Hoping for the latter!!

I wouldn't count on it from the Memories menu we've seen. Most likely they're just cutscenes, which we can then replay at our leisure. Would be very odd to have playable sections in the past in an open world game. They have to have AC style memory walls that reset us if we go too far off the path.

I wouldn't count on it from the Memories menu we've seen. Most likely they're just cutscenes, which we can then replay at our leisure. Would be very odd to have playable sections in the past in an open world game. They have to have AC style memory walls that reset us if we go too far off the path.

I still see them playing out like "Ciri's Story" segments from TW3. Very linear story-based segments that are sort of a break from the open world gameplay of the main game.

The game awards trailer which showed light shimmering around Link made me immediately suspect he was being "transported" to the past or future to witness these events, and that type of transportation would make more sense if you actually get to play through the events yourself.

Obviously there will be playable cutscenes that make up a large portion of the past events, but I still think it's possible there will be gameplay there too.

m051293

From Reddit, EngineeringHyrule's updated map and analysis (adding content and position estimates from last weekend).

1NSEG7Ph.jpg

Does this game have towns? I'm cool with open world games, but at least like in stuff like the Witcher 3, you have NPCs to talk to so it doesn't feel so lonely. They are making this games look a little too barren and lacking life like it's a Dark Souls game or something.

-Horizon-

Does this game have towns? I'm cool with open world games, but at least like in stuff like the Witcher 3, you have NPCs to talk to so it doesn't feel so lonely. They are making this games look a little too barren and lacking life like it's a Dark Souls game or something.

Yes, towns were shown in the switch trailer.

Rewatch the trailer in the OP. It shows at least two full towns and a large number of NPCs.

And we've seen two other towns in previous trailers.

I bet which statue you pray too doesn't matter and you only receive the memories in a certain order. I think that is what Aonuma and Miyamoto were talking about when they said they wanted to make sure each player experienced the story the same no matter where they were.

And region specific stories could be handled by the NPC's that live in the region by telling Link what happened to them specifically.

m4st4

I saw that, but wasn't sure if that was just showing the towns from the past and thought that Link ends up being like one of the last humans 100 years later.

That would be even worse than Destiny.

-I could show you the towns... but they do not exist in the present.

It's a postapocalyptic world, doesn't mean there are no towns, or people.

vareon

I saw that, but wasn't sure if that was just showing the towns from the past and thought that Link ends up being like one of the last humans 100 years later.

There are stables in various locations where you can interact with NPCs, and Beedle is even in the game. It's not going to be a very lonely game.

At the risk of being overly-analytical, here are the animals we've seen so far.

Deer
Boars
Goats (presumably remain from the ‘14 trailers)
Horses (including specific quest-related ones)
Dogs
Sand-Walruses
Hyrule Bass
Squirrels
Ducks
Herons
Doves
Seagulls
Hawks
Sparrows
Foxes (in red and white)
Fireflies
”Restless Crickets"
Bees
Frogs
Cuccos (can assume)

I assume you'll be able to eat most of the non-domestic ones, Horses can die, but it remains to be seen if you can actively hurt them. You can't collect bees themselves, just the honeycomb.

At the risk of being overly-analytical, here are the animals we've seen so far.

Deer
Boars
Goats (presumably remain from the ‘14 trailers)
Horses (including specific quest-related ones)
Dogs
Sand-Walruses
Hyrule Bass
Squirrels
Ducks
Herons
Doves
Seagulls
Hawks
Sparrows
Foxes (in red and white)
Fireflies
“Restless Crickets”
Bees
Frogs
Cuccos (can assume)

I assume you'll be able to eat most of the non-domestic ones, Horses can die, but it remains to be seen if you can actively hurt them. You can't collect bees themselves, just the honeycomb.
This makes me what a bestiary. Each time we kill an animal we get a short little blurb on there tendencies and their preferred homes. Since they spent four years coding the animals I hope someone chimed in and said including a bestiary would put a little more emphasis on hunting and show appreciation for the work put in by the employees.

This makes me what a bestiary. Each time we kill an animal we get a short little blurb on there tendencies and their preferred homes. Since they spent four years coding the animals I hope someone chimed in and said including a bestiary would put a little more emphasis on hunting and show appreciation for the work put in by the employees.

Add little 3D models of the animals (and add monster enemies altogether) and that's a fantastic idea.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
1NSEG7Ph.jpg

Posted the wrong image earlier.

Rather self evident, but not noted on this map, but the location in this scene seems to be nestled right on the southern bank of the river just north of Hyrule Castle. Making it likely that Link and Zelda set forth from there to the Great Deku Tree, whereupon we see the other scenes in the trailer with them fighting off Guardians and running through the woods. So their proximity makes a lot of sense.

m051293

Rather self evident, but not noted on this map, but the location in this scene seems to be nestled right on the southern bank of the river just north of Hyrule Castle. Making it likely that Link and Zelda set forth from there to the Great Deku Tree, whereupon we see the other scenes in the trailer with them fighting off Guardians and running through the woods. So their proximity makes a lot of sense.

But that wouldn't quite match up, given the positioning of the sun in the following frames (right behind the castle). It would have to be either east pr west of the castle. Cabt really tell if there are any buildings that would match the positioning of that shot though.

Unless the light is not meant to be taken literally.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
But that wouldn't quite match up, given the positioning of the sun in the following frames (right behind the castle). It would have to be either east pr west of the castle. Cabt really tell if there are any buildings that would match the positioning of that shot though.

Unless the light is not meant to be taken literally.

Yeah I'm not sure that's the Sun itself. The silhouette of the castle doesn't seem to be a side view either. Looks pretty much the same as the outline Link sees from due south as you can see through the same windows and there are the two same smaller roof peaks on the left and right sides of the main tower.

PrimeBeef

the cut of the trailer even supports this. you never see zelda until the old man tells link he is ready to know what happened 100 years ago. then all the cutscenes with zelda (cut with gameplay too for good measure), bookended with 'open your eyes', implying that all her stuff was in the past.

if you can beat the game in a matter of minutes, then not having to wade through cutscenes would make sense.

There are 11 scenes with Zelda prior to the old man saying you must save her. Plus she speaks and cries before then too. Not saying you are wrong about Zelda being mainly in flashbacks. But you see more of here before we are asked to save her than after.

m051293

A lot more detail to notice now. Building slightly hidden in the background, might be a pond against the xliff wall at the back of the town. Spot a couple of lamposts and what looks like a mailbox on the main street.
LeVRZL1.png

Wonder if we'll be able to enter every building.

There's a surprising lack of aliasing in those images!

if you talk about the screenshots with Zelda in them, yes because they are likely pre-rendered.

However, you can see some aliasing in the gameplay and enviroment screenshots. Not much, thankfully. I think it just might look fine on the TV.

Going to look fantastic on the handheld anyway.

I found two screenshots especially interesting, because artifacts were removed you can see a lot more details

That

Li5kIPy.png

and this one

K7jsblp.jpg

Nr.1 may take place in some kind of fortress, while Nr. 2 may be in that Desert guardian. If you look closely at the background, you can see the same structures from the Shiekah Tech, but corrupted by the Calamity Ganon

13ruce

Banned
Sligtly off topic but the tattoo parlor where i got my imp midna tattoo just called me and i can go there next week for my wolf link tattoo^^ I am so happy. First the appointment was in the end of march:)

Currently busy playing through TP haha. to max out the wolf link amiibo for Breath of the Wild i want wolf link at my side for most of the time in the game:p

BotW is my most anticipated game ever honestly i can't wait lol. It's just 39 days away...omg.

Pastry

Banned
I don't really get the desire for timeline convergence. Timelines staying split means that Nintendo can do crazy shit in one timeline and experiment without affecting the other ones.

A lot more detail to notice now. Building slightly hidden in the background, might be a pond against the xliff wall at the back of the town. Spot a couple of lamposts and what looks like a mailbox on the main street.
LeVRZL1.png

Loving the towns in the game so far.

RagnarokX

This is probably the worst screen of the game so far, imo. Man, it looks really bland. They really did a number on these interior areas.

But anyway, interesting catch, none the less.

I find it surprising people look at that scene and it makes them think "Yep, that's one of the game's main dungeons."

I find it surprising people look at that scene and it makes them think "Yep, that's one of the game's main dungeons."

Was the corrupted sheikah technology saw inside shrines? For me that's the main takeaway to indicate that this is a dungeon, or at least different than the shrines.

RagnarokX

Was the corrupted sheikah technology saw inside shrines? For me that's the main takeaway to indicate that this is a dungeon, or at least different than the shrines.

That's the inside of a divine beast guardian for sure, but it looks too small to be a dungeon and looks the same as the shrines. That would be super disappointing.

Although there are definitely dungeons in the game, I have a feeling they're going to disappoint a lot of people. There's only so much a development team can put into a game and only so much time in a day. The overworld is clearly the main focus here, much more so than most other entries.

And yes, I'm clearly speculating, as I obviously haven't played the game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's the inside of a divine beast guardian for sure, but it looks too small to be a dungeon and looks the same as the shrines. That would be super disappointing.

I have a feeling access the Divine Beast will involve a somewhat more traditional dungeon as well as their interiors. We saw that one scene which looked like it was inside Death Mountain, or at least in a lava filled interior, where Link is fighting off a fire breathing Lizalfos. I could definitely see them having us go through a sort of traditional dungeon to then gain access to the Divine Beasts.

So you'll start out with the traditional dungeon and then end it with the big boy Shrine inside the beast.

LeVRZL1.png

The building in the background close to the bottom right corner of the picture has what looks like three glass tubes filled with green blue and red liquid. That might be a potion shop.

Well, it`s two rooms, that seems to rotate and twist in new ways. We saw what looks like interiors in the lizalfos fire breathing scene and the sheikah warrior. At least it seems like a buildup to the beasts.

I have a feeling access the Divine Beast will involve a somewhat more traditional dungeon as well as their interiors. We saw that one scene which looked like it was inside Death Mountain, or at least in a lava filled interior, where Link is fighting off a fire breathing Lizalfos. I could definitely see them having us go through a sort of traditional dungeon to then gain access to the Divine Beasts.

So you'll start out with the traditional dungeon and then end it with the big boy Shrine inside the beast.

I'm hoping it is the other way around. Going through a more interesting and unique environment just to be faced with another shrine is kinda weak, Imo. It makes more sense in my mind at least, the guardians guard things, so you would need to defeat them to access a sacred or special area.

I'm hoping it is the other way around. Going through a more interesting and unique environment just to be faced with another shrine is kinda weak, Imo. It makes more sense in my mind at least, the guardians guard things, so you would need to defeat them to access a sacred or special area.

This is what I was thinking, but then I thought about the destroyed/deactivated camel guardian from the trailer. It sure looked like you were supposed to go "into" it from that scene. Maybe I misread it though.

Xdrive05

Well, it`s two rooms, that seems to rotate and twist in new ways. We saw what looks like interiors in the lizalfos fire breathing scene and the sheikah warrior. At least it seems like a buildup to the beasts.

I'm really hoping those large "guardians" are just one phase of a proper dungeon, like maybe you have to beat the guardian first, to get access to that area's proper dungeon. Or maybe the other way around, where the guardian is the part that you do last, as in the guardian IS the dungeon boss that you have to beat Shadow of the Colossus style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom