• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is there any good youtube video to spoil me on current story/lore theories? Reading through this thread I'm realizing I'm way out of the loop :p

I would recommend ZeldaPodSmashers channel, he's a GAF member if I'm not mistaken, there are certainly no shortage of other youtube people posting videos analysing and theorizing about every little detail. Zeltik, HMK, GameoverJesse, CommonwealthRealm, etc etc, but they are all prone to some wild speculation and faulty logic and conclusions. PodSmashers is much more even keeled and straight to the point with actually interesting insights and discoveries. He is though staying away from serious spoilers now that we are close to the game, but has a lot of different vids from prior to this latest trailer exploring things in great detail.

I can't wait to see what Aonuma is able to do after Zelda. I'm not sure if there's a person he can hand the series of to, but this has me excited that there is an "after Zelda" for him

Remember that Aonuma hasn't been the director of these games for a couple years. If Breath of the Wild is as well-regarded as it looks like it's going to be, I could see Hidemaro Fujibayashi (the director of this title, as well as Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, FSA, and the Oracle games) stepping into his position at some point.

Remember that Aonuma hasn't been the director of these games for a couple years. If Breath of the Wild is as well-regarded as it looks like it's going to be, I could see Hidemaro Fujibayashi (the director of this title, as well as Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, FSA, and the Oracle games) stepping into his position at some point.

I think aonuma will remain the series producer, but it doesn't mean that he wouldn't be able to manage two teams.

correojon

A really great interview with very precise and interesting questions for a change.

The playtesting part is very interesting. They modified the topography of the places the players were visiting less to make them more appealing.
I wonder if other open-world studios are doing something similar.

I think this is a very good example of Nintendo´s approach to design. I like how they are tremendously conscious they are making a game and that the game should play well, so instead of coming up with automated testing tools (which surely they use also) or sticking to design guidelines they just sit down and play the game.

CaVaYeRo

Found out more on the whole Link's "Recovered Memories" system:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...s+coleccionables+en+Zelda+Breath+of+the+Wild/

Speculation, but ofc a bit spoilerish if you want full blackout.

So it seems memories are actual collectibles (as in playable cutscenes) in the open world, so that every adventurer gets to unfold his or her own version of the past by solving the bigger puzzle. I guess that was discussed here already. Now, Memories list is part of the Adventure Log menu, next to Main Quest and a couple of still blacked-out logs for what look like Shrines and Dialogues. I don't think there's 100+ Memories, sounds like too many and it seems like Shrines have their own todo list (though I guess completing both of them unlocks the alternative ending).

Also noteworthy is the background artwork for the Recovered Memories screen, which is the exact same flower that was prominently shown both at game's logo next to the Master Sword and during the latest story trailer, coincidentally right when Great Deku Tree and King of Hyrule refer to Link's 100 years slumber and the memory loss. So the flower seems really linked to the memories - perhaps it actually makes Link remember by its scent?

Finally, I see it's the Master Sword of Resurrection in English, and the Master Sword of Life (Espada Maestra de la Vida) in Spanish, which looks more and more like you bring life back to the world by using the sword.

legendzelda_1988513.png

legendzelda_1978593.png

It would be very neat to see the charts of the different playtester paths. I hope a group of people sets up something similar when they play the game for the first time. It would be interesting to see what the most attention-grabbing routes are, even in the final balanced game.

iFirez

So it seems memories are actual collectibles (as in playable cutscenes) in the open world, so that every adventurer gets to unfold his or her own version of the past by solving the bigger puzzle. I guess that was discussed here already. Now, Memories list is part of the Adventure Log menu, next to Main Quest and a couple of still blacked-out logs for what look like Shrines and Dialogues. I don't think there's 100+ Memories, sounds like too many and it seems like Shrines have their own todo list (though I guess completing both of them unlocks the alternative ending).

First icon is Main Quest(s), Second is Shrines, Third is Side Quests, Fourth is Memories.

Additional thoughts:
  • Main Quest is likely to update once you get to every nav point/marker starting with the first Shiekah Tower.
  • Shrines is an interesting one, maybe once you've completed one it will show its name and in a completed state/lit up. Maybe the spirit orbs collected/total on this screen too?
  • Side Quests will likely give you a run down of what the NPC said to you such as location and task; as there is no marker or location on your map you have to figure where the side quest is your self.
  • Memories will be a place to rewatch flashbacks that reveal what happened 100 years ago, it'l be interesting to see how long each of these are and if story is delivered in other ways than just these memories. (We've already seen the short cutscene once you activate the first Shiekah Tower).

Found out more on the whole Link's "Recovered Memories" system:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...s+coleccionables+en+Zelda+Breath+of+the+Wild/

Speculation, but ofc a bit spoilerish if you want full blackout.

Also noteworthy is the background artwork for the Recovered Memories screen, which is the exact same flower that was prominently shown both at game's logo next to the Master Sword and during the latest story trailer, coincidentally right when Great Deku Tree and King of Hyrule refer to Link's 100 years slumber and the memory loss. So the flower seems really linked to the memories - perhaps it actually makes Link remember by its scent?

Finally, I see it's the Master Sword of Resurrection in English, and the Master Sword of Life (Espada Maestra de la Vida) in Spanish, which looks more and more like you bring life back to the world by using the sword.
in the gameinformer video, it indicates that there are
18 videos
. During the treehouse stream, nate said that the flower has an important aspect in the story.

Roughly:

- Open world idea came from feedback after Skyward Sword.
- Filling the world with stuff was done in an organic way, going manually through the world instead of looking at a 2D map. He says Miyamoto did the same thing with Zelda 1.
- Previous Zelda games under his supervision featured more hand holding because not knowing what to do is the worst thing that can happen, but with this game they tried to feature a new kind of way of "feeling lost". A positive one. Says the heart of the game is the loop of climbing, looking around, and paragliding.
- Says it's funny because he played Last Guardian and some of the gameplay elements reminded him of things they tried to do in BOTW too.
- Never played Dark Souls.
- Is aware that adding numbers and stats isn't always a good thing and he tried to avoid that in the past, but it was necessary for this game, especially with the loot system and exploration.
- Always argued with Miyamoto what the essence of a Zelda game was. Finally came to the conclusion with BOTW that it was a strong sense of place in a world, and the feeling of growing stronger as you play.
- What delayed the game wasn't creating the physics engine, but tweaking it for it to make sense everywhere. It was hard and required great coordination between teams.
- Lot of external playtests where they would watch where everyone go, and ask why they wanted to go to certain places. Tweaked the game accordingly.
- Monolith only worked on assets with Skyward Sword because their open world philosophy wasn't the same at the time. Now with BOTW they worked on the world too.
- Twilight Princess transitioning from GC to Wii helped them port the game to the Switch. It went a lot smoother.
- All cutscenes have voice acting. Wasn't always going to be like that, but they went for it.
- Has lot of ideas for other games, but always end up using them in Zelda games. Now he has specific ideas he refuses to put in Zelda games because he wants to do them elsewhere, but he's so busy with BOTW that he doesn't know when it'll happen.

Overall I thought it was an excellent interview, a bit different in tone than the usual PR speak.

Yessssssssss.

Now take that experience and use it on Xenoblade 2. BoTW is going to have some scenic vistas for sure.

I don't know if this has been answered, but is it confirmed that there are only 6-7 runes in the game?

No, this hasn't been confirmed.

Don't think it's been explicitly confirmed but seems like they want to give people most stuff early on, but they get upgraded as you progress.

Actually I'd be surprised if there aren't some late game runes or items we get in this one. One of the "screens" on the Sheikah Slate is titled "runes" and two of these similar screens have 12 and 24 slots for items. This obviously doesn't tell us how many rune slots there are but having a whole "screen" dedicated to them should suggest that there are likely more than 4 we know about. I'm betting the energy arrow will actually be a rune too.

Also, remember that the inventory screens in E3 only had ~10 slots for materials, armor, etc. And now with this new footage we see many more slots. I would imagine the same would go for the 6 rune slots we saw (one of which was occupied by Amiibo) at E3.

Actually I'd be surprised if there aren't some late game runes or items we get in this one. One of the "screens" on the Sheikah Slate is titled "runes" and two of these similar screens have 12 and 24 slots for items. This obviously doesn't tell us how many rune slots there are but having a whole "screen" dedicated to them should suggest that there are likely more than 4 we know about. I'm betting the energy arrow will actually be a rune too.

Also, remember that the inventory screens in E3 only had ~10 slots for materials, armor, etc. And now with this new footage we see many more slots. I would imagine the same would go for the 6 rune slots we saw (one of which was occupied by Amiibo) at E3.

In the game awards footage, the energy arrow is in the bow&arrow section.

There’s 5 including the box bombs. I think 3 major items for puzzle solving is about normal for a Zelda game, once you strip away all the ones that can be given in non runic ways, whether they're indestructable weapons or temporary ones you can find somewhere near where they're useful, or others that expand your controls like paraglider or maybe flippers.

The only major regular I can think of that hasn't been represented is hookshot, but that doesn't need to be runic unless it's a teleport item, could be a special bow or arrow. Interested to see how they do boomerangs, regular breakable boomerangs with enemies that use them might be fun.

They didn't use it per see, but it was in the inventory screen.

Ah I must have missed the GameXplain analysis of this video... that was hard to find! But yeah you can see the head of the energy arrow in the inventory with x0 next to it (meaning they don't have any). Good call!

There's 5 including the box bombs. I think 3 major items for puzzle solving is about normal for a Zelda game, once you strip away all the ones that can be given in non runic ways, whether they're indestructable weapons or temporary ones you can find somewhere near where they're useful, or others that expand your controls like paraglider or maybe flippers.

The only major regular I can think of that hasn't been represented is hookshot, but that doesn't need to be runic unless it's a teleport item, could be a special bow or arrow. Interested to see how they do boomerangs, regular breakable boomerangs with enemies that use them might be fun.

I mostly am saying that this isn't confirmed. They added new slots for the inventory, so we could be seeing new slots for runes too, since the E3 demo. It would get kinda boring going through 120 different shrines with only 4 actual runes (I'm counting cube bombs as bombs). I'm expecting at least 2-3 more.

Dr.Hadji

Of the 5 powers shown thus far, the ice-make out of water power seems the most limited. 1. You have to be around water. 2. It makes a boring ole platform! I try to come up with neat uses in my head but I'm coming up blank.

As a side note, I hope the game has the classic Zelda water play. Raising, lowering and altering flows to water. Combine that with the ice power and we might be onto something.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Of the 5 powers shown thus far, the ice-make out of water power seems the most limited. 1. You have to be around water. 2. It makes a boring ole platform! I try to come up with neat uses in my head but I'm coming up blank.

As a side note, I hope the game has the classic Zelda water play. Raising, lowering and altering flows to water. Combine that with the ice power and we might be onto something.

They specifically use it to lift things in the Shrine you acquire it in, gates, platforms, etc. It's definitely limited in usage compared to the others, but I'm sure they'll have plenty of use cases.

The bomb rune got an upgrade, so I wouldn't be surprised to see cryonis get an upgrade too which can extend its uses. Maybe even the final upgrade can make ice pillars on solid ground?

iFirez

Random thought that just pinged around in my brain:
The Switch UI has the 4 buttons for runes in the top left while the Wii U has a d-pad instead (as they are the controls for those on each console). HOWEVER, I wonder if you use the Switch Pro Controller it will change those icons to the same d-pad UI icon from the Wii U version.

- Has lot of ideas for other games, but always end up using them in Zelda games. Now he has specific ideas he refuses to put in Zelda games because he wants to do them elsewhere, but he's so busy with BOTW that he doesn't know when it'll happen.

This quote has me interested and... a bit excited, honestly. I love The Legend of Zelda, but perhaps it's time for a break, yeah? Aonuma has talked about wanting to make a game starring a thief, yea? Maybe it's time to give this guy some legroom for new ideas. I wouldn't mind a 10+ year break til the next Zelda if it means getting some fresh ideas and inspiration to make the next game even better than the last :)

It's legit they're using this as the system's killer app and selling point... not that they have much else, lol. It's nice to see Zelda all around the world tho as a huge release and THE REASON to get the latest system

cool af. cannot wait for this. I kinda wanna jump on the Switch hype and get this day 1 on the console, but I can wait. It'll be just as good on Wii U :) Knowing my dumb loyal ass I'll buy this again on Switch when I eventually pick one up when Mario comes out, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom