• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Launch trailer, JP boxart, March 3, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoit

Does nudity count as sexual content? If so I'm sure the Great Fairy design or some of the Zoras could make it reach that rating, but it'd still be weird for Nintendo to let that happen...

Well, I mean there was also the scene of Zelda bathing in the trailer

RagnarokX

Well, I mean there was also the scene of Zelda bathing in the trailer

She's wearing clothes.

Twilight Princess got away with this:
ZYqKw7F.png

ReyVGM

Nintendo replied to my email asking about a reversible EU box-art with the usual "no official announcement at this time" nonsense.

What did you expect? They are not going to reveal any info to an unknown person that hasn't been announced yet.

I feel for EU Zelda fans, because that cover is awful. That pose and come hither look Link has makes him seem like he's thinking of sex or something.

So theory

That giant hallow tree, is the great deku tree of old, and the deku tree in the trailer is new tree post wind waker

The top of the old tree is the large tree we see over towards death mountain, it's there to lure unknowing adventurers into the trap of

Gohma

What did you expect? They are not going to reveal any info to an unknown person that hasn't been announced yet.

I feel for EU Zelda fans, because that cover is awful. That pose and come hither look Link has makes him seem like he's thinking of sex or something.

Not sure tbh. But I don't see it as a massive revelation if the cover is reversible or not, so an answer would've been nice.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one getting that vibe from the EU cover. It just feels so weird.

New concept artwork.

C3NNr_IXAAEQUro.jpg

Source.

I really wish we were getting an art-book with one of the special editions.

Not sure tbh. But I don't see it as a massive revelation if the cover is reversible or not, so an answer would've been nice.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one getting that vibe from the EU cover. It just feels so weird.

I really wish we were getting an art-book with one of the special editions.

It seems like the back cover is a "manual" style of the game. https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/824941060438708225

Of course this is the jp version, and i think it's the only one that has bonus cover art in the collector's edition, but i would expect that the EU and NA boxes to be similar.

aonuma re-confirmed that you can fight ganon from the get-go,but you will probably die.
that "probably" makes me hope that it's actually possible,just really hard,instead of straight impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n7vqDy6mqE

I mean, of course you'll probably be technically able to do it without ever getting hit, and if you have gear that won't break in the first five seconds of the fight without doing any substantial damage.

What I really want to know is how much craziness is it going to take to even get to the final boss? Will we just be able to waltz up to the ending from the start? It is going to be really difficult to get past the enemies and traps in the final area to reach the boss? Or will we have to know some obscure way to get there without going through the "proper way"?

Is it some Myst-like thing where the final boss was in the Shrine of Resurrection the whole time?

Also I continue to be impressed with how crazy fast you can use the menus in this game. The menu might be bland visually but they went for total functionality and speed here so major mechanics like Holding and dropping items wouldn't be tedious.

Roughly:

- Open world idea came from feedback after Skyward Sword.
- Filling the world with stuff was done in an organic way, going manually through the world instead of looking at a 2D map. He says Miyamoto did the same thing with Zelda 1.
- Previous Zelda games under his supervision featured more hand holding because not knowing what to do is the worst thing that can happen, but with this game they tried to feature a new kind of way of "feeling lost". A positive one. Says the heart of the game is the loop of climbing, looking around, and paragliding.
- Says it's funny because he played Last Guardian and some of the gameplay elements reminded him of things they tried to do in BOTW too.
- Never played Dark Souls.
- Is aware that adding numbers and stats isn't always a good thing and he tried to avoid that in the past, but it was necessary for this game, especially with the loot system and exploration.
- Always argued with Miyamoto what the essence of a Zelda game was. Finally came to the conclusion with BOTW that it was a strong sense of place in a world, and the feeling of growing stronger as you play.
- What delayed the game wasn't creating the physics engine, but tweaking it for it to make sense everywhere. It was hard and required great coordination between teams.
- Lot of external playtests where they would watch where everyone go, and ask why they wanted to go to certain places. Tweaked the game accordingly.
- Monolith only worked on assets with Skyward Sword because their open world philosophy wasn't the same at the time. Now with BOTW they worked on the world too.
- Twilight Princess transitioning from GC to Wii helped them port the game to the Switch. It went a lot smoother.
- All cutscenes have voice acting. Wasn't always going to be like that, but they went for it.
- Has lot of ideas for other games, but always end up using them in Zelda games. Now he has specific ideas he refuses to put in Zelda games because he wants to do them elsewhere, but he's so busy with BOTW that he doesn't know when it'll happen.

Overall I thought it was an excellent interview, a bit different in tone than the usual PR speak.

Holy shit, really is starting to sound like the GOAT Zelda (o___O)

Is there any chance there are many different outfits? I feel we've mainly seen the blue outfit and the very basic grey one that is reminiscent of TP's beginning outfit, the suit of armor from the E3 trailer and then one or two other ones. I'm hoping there are tons of different outfits (like 20+ with a green tunic being a reward for a big side quest) but I'm worried there may just be a handful

Is there any chance there are many different outfits? I feel we've mainly seen the blue outfit and the very basic grey one that is reminiscent of TP's beginning outfit, the suit of armor from the E3 trailer and then one or two other ones. I'm hoping there are tons of different outfits (like 20+ with a green tunic being a reward for a big side quest) but I'm worried there may just be a handful

If you get outfits and the majority of them do something different from each other then I don't think would be an issue. The Game seems to be primarily balanced around the Champion's Shirt's and the Hylian Trousers' defenses and every other armor likely modifies from that range.

We've seen 6 sets so far. I wouldn't doubt it will be a fairly significant selection. I wouldn't expect anything insane, but 15-20 sets is totally doable.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
We've seen 6 sets so far. I wouldn't doubt it will be a fairly significant selection. I wouldn't expect anything insane, but 15-20 sets is totally doable.

It's also likely that we will upgrade them. The quilted shirt art shows it with crumby shoes providing poor leg coverage, and we even see that in game too in one of the screen shots, but there is also a version with proper boots that we've seen. Most likely will be able to increase is protection both from attacks and from the cold weather which might be colder in different regions compared to the snowy sections of the Great Plateau.

It's also likely that we will upgrade them. The quilted shirt art shows it with crumby shoes providing poor leg coverage, and we even see that in game too in one of the screen shots, but there is also a version with proper boots that we've seen. Most likely will be able to increase is protection both from attacks and from the cold weather which might be colder in different regions compared to the snowy sections of the Great Plateau.

Like the blue tunic with the cloak. Could be an upgrade, but it might just be a variation, or both!

Hats would make sense to be attached to the shirt, so we'll probably see variations/upgrades like that on several sets.

Also I continue to be impressed with how crazy fast you can use the menus in this game. The menu might be bland visually but they went for total functionality and speed here so major mechanics like Holding and dropping items wouldn't be tedious.

It makes me REALLY disappointed that the Scrollder Button patent for the JoyCons didn't pan out. That would have been a flawless victory for BotW, it looks like it was tailor made for them and then for whatever reason they had to ditch them at the last minute.

So theory

That giant hallow tree, is the great deku tree of old, and the deku tree in the trailer is new tree post wind waker

The top of the old tree is the large tree we see over towards death mountain, it's there to lure unknowing adventurers into the trap of

Gohma
This reminds me, I hope BotW still has OoT-style boss introductions. Those are the epitome of style.

Cuningas de Häme;229242406 said:
Is Zelda really bathing? To me it looks more like she's hugging herself, kneeled down in front of something important to her. Sad memories and all that.

To be fair, don't we all do that while bathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom