• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "Tweak" Wish List

ctfg23

Increase weapon durability
Option to upgrade durability/repair weapons
Don't damage weapons when hitting objects in stasis puzzles
Button remapping
Decrease stamina use while sprinting
Decrease either chance of slipping or slipping distance while climbing in rain
Discard shields/bows without going into inventory
Increase maximum number of stamps on map/add new icons

Most of these i pointed out back at E3 2016, it is amusing to see how on point they were now that i see some of the complains:
  • Rune Menu Mapped to L button. Pressing and holding the L button brings up a real time circular Rune menu. This will allow to equip Runes withouth Link losing movement and save time wasted moving the left thumb between Dpad and Left Stick.
  • Insert the whistle command in this circular Rune Menu.
  • With the revamped Rune Menu Dpad Up and Dpad down are now free to be used, so Nintendo can map the Consumable Menu and Wearables menu to these 2 directions.
  • Press and holding "A" over an item on the floor instantly swaps the equiped item with this new one. Press and holding A over a consumable on the floor instantly uses it.
  • Dropping items from the quick menu. Pressing the right thumbstick in the quick menu drops items.
  • Pressing X over an item in the Wearables Screen instantly equips the armor set.
  • When an item shatters in Link's hand, entering the Quick Menu sets the selector to the center of the row instead of the far left unequipped icon. This would save time.
  • Swapping between Sheika Scope and camera with a button press. When Clicking the Right Stick for the Scope an extra button press shifts to the camera. This will cut the time wasted in equipping a rune to take a picture.
  • Revamp Magnesis Controls. When motion controls are enabled, up and down on the R Thumbstick should control moving the object forward/backward which is asigned to Dpad as of now. This would go with an increased sensitivity whem moving the object up/down when tilting the controller and the Dpad controlling altitude just in case recentering is needed. With this change the player doesn't need to move the left hand from the L stick.
  • Boost Bomb Damage but increase cooling times. Rune bombs should be powerful and increasing the cooldown will make players use them more carefully and spam them less during combat.
  • Looting decayed guardians shouldn't pause the game with a pop up if the acquired ancient part is not new.
  • Cut repeated NPC dialog during commerce. Cut Beedle whining dialogue for a day after he gets rejected when the player doesn't want to trade a bug.
  • Switching to girls clothes in front of the Gerudo Guards should cause Link to get cut. If Nintendo had this check 10 years ago with Twilight Princes, it should take this detail into account here.
  • DO NOT REGENERATE GUARDIANS after a blood moon. Make it a finite resource, if the player wants to craft items that use guardian parts and they can't find any to fight, then resort to sellers instead for the needed parts.
  • DO NOT OFFER WATER PROOF MOUNT CLIMBING ARMOR. Since the game already balances this when the player aquires the full set of mountain climbing armor, gets stamina bar enhancements, have the option to cook stamina elixirs and one of the Heroes blessing let's Link gain altitude quickly.
  • Expand Picture Limit Storage. This way people that want a cook book at least have an alternative that doesn't require a lot of extra programing and development time.
  • Horse Highjacking. And option that pops when aproaching a mounted Bokoblin with the paraglider that prompts a button press that allows Link to kick the Bokobling out of the horse and instantly take control over it. More convenient and cooler than doing a bow shot.
  • Increase Tree Damage to enemies. When a cuted tree falls over an enemy the damage should be more significant.
  • INCREASE TOOL DURABILITY. i know this is alreaddy in the game but it should be increased further. When an item is used for it's intended work for example an axe to cut trees or the Goron hammer for mining.
  • Increase the variety of food offerings to obtain Deku Seeds. i think it's too sided in favor of apples, making the repetition of the task more apparent.
  • Decrease the effectiveness of foods. Some recepies are too easy to cook yet give too much health.
  • A final Stamina Bar? Allow a final stamina bar with the catch that it requires double amount of spirits orbs. However, to be honest i haven't given much tought about how much it would affect the game balance. The reason i suggest this is to allow more customization fredom to players.
  • Tone down Weapon Degradation during Stasis. Don't remove the degradation entirely but take it down a notch and only for objects not when hitting enemies under stasis influence.
  • Pushing Objects. Make it so that Link initiates the pushing animation when the stick is held half way and only transition to climbing animation when is pushed all the way up. This is should be adressed specially when pushing trees since Link tends to transition to moving over the object when the user is actually trying to push the tree.
  • Pro Mode HUD adjustments. Only display the heart bar when in combat, taking damage or Z targetting.
  • Disable agression towards unarmed NPCs. When in proximity to an NPC in towns for example, run a check that doesn't allow Link to swing a sword, fire an arrow or detonate a bomb when the NPC is in the damage range of the weapon since it's inmersion braking and doesn't make sense. Guards like the Gerudos are ok since they have shields.
  • [NEW] Perfect Guard always causes enemy to drop weapon. This is to encourage it's use in some situations instead of Perfect Dodge.
  • {NEW}Throw weapon during Flury Rush. Would be nice to take some swings at an enemy while time slows down and then aim and throw the weapon to finish of.
  • {NEW}Ability to aim when throwing an object. For example, when picking an explosive barrel pressing and holding R should let the player change the direction with the R Thumbstick.
  • {NEW}Big enemies agression toward minor ones. For example, a Modulga or Stone Talus should agro any nearby enemies just the same way they do to Link. Remember luring some Lizalfos in the dessert and a Modulga just downright ignored them even tought they were runing around making noise.
  • NEW Yiga Clan Riders. It feels lacking that the only opposition on horses are Bokoblins only. Or put some Yiga clan members using sand seals in the dessert.
  • [NEW] Transparent Foliage when ontop of big trees. The game does have a camera trick that makes object transparent when they cover the camera. However, when on top of wide trees the foliage gets transparent half way sacrificing both visibility and realism.
  • Maybe upgrade weapon durability by collecting Dragon Parts. For example, visit one of the smith in a town, he will request random dragon parts an extra materials. However, each smith enhances an specific elemental weapon and does so for one at a time. So the player needs the parts of an specific dragon to enhance an electric sword for example and can only have 1 enhanced weapon for each element and for one type only. This would increase durability for 50% tops.
For the hard difficulty DLC:

Eventide Island Game Mode:
  • Amount of visibility at night changes with moon phase. So a new moon gives pitch black nights and a full one normal clarity.
  • Need to consume food. If the player gets famish, he loses more health with each hit, drains stamina faster, it's more susceptible to temperature changes, does less damage per hit. To prevent this Link should eat something related to the stat that he loses performance on. For example, arnored carp prevents that he takes more damge per hit than normal.
  • Limit the amount of consecutive consumables Link can take.
  • Need to sleep often at a confy bed. Or else Link gets a general stat downgrade.[/b]
  • Sleeping at camp fires doesnt restore hearts, instead takes hearts from him.
  • Sleeping at an Inn, maintains the heart count. Sleeping with the expensive option restores hearts.
  • Player needs to give food to the horse to maintain it's spur level or take it to an stable.
  • Limit the inventory size in general: Materials, Cooked Dishes and equipment.
  • Enemies drop less loot.
  • Enemies are stronger at night and specially strong during the nights of blood moon.
  • Dragons only appear at night.
  • Quick travel only to towers.
  • Instant GAMEOVER. Drowning, falling into lava, swallowed by a bog or dropping from great heights causes a default GameOver.
  • [NEW] Remix all Shrines with new puzzles and all Blessing Shrines have either a puzzle or combat trial.
  • Bring Darknuts back. Their abscence was clearly felt when exploring
    Hyrule Castle.

During my earlier hours playing I had a list of things like repairing weapons or climbing in the rain. Now I don't. I think weapon durability is fine and I don't care about repairing anything, and climbing is so trivial now, I'd rather it be more restrictive as it encourages people to skip all of the neat paths in the world in favor of just going straight up a cliff face. Heck, figuring out how far I can get my horse is more entertaining.

In short, I would change nothing. Okay, I'd change one thing. I really would like to have a cooking pot in my inventory as a key item.

Brannon

The ability to use the menu as it was intended when using the Switch in handheld mode or the Wii U with the tablet. There is no reason not to. The game's inventory UI was clearly intended for touch controls, and it would be a nice bonus for those using it off the dock. Every one with BotW has a touchscreen. There is no reason not to.

"But what about those playing on the big screen?" Well then they can't touch it, just like Wii U players that use the the Wii U Pro Controller can't use touch either. Giving more options is never a bad thing. There is no reason not to. Can you imagine it? Divide the screen into four quadrants with a catch-all zone in the middle. Touch one of the zones to bring up what you want, touch to select, touch to confirm then press a button to get back in the game, and it would be so much fucking faster than what we have now. Because the inventory UI was built for speed WHEN TOUCHING. There is no reason not to.

There is precedent; Pikmin 3 lets you play with either the Wii U Tablet or the Wiimote, and it plays much better with Wiimote, but the Wii U doesn't even come with it. On the other hand, every official system that can play BotW has touch capabilities right out of the box, it just depends on which mode/peripheral you decide to use. There is no reason not to.

Everyone wins. Those that want to play on the big screen when on the Switch or with the Pro Controller when on the Wii U know they will have to stick with the standard controller input, and those who want to use the Switch in handheld mode or with the Tablet on Wii U will get to use the inventory UI in the way it was intended. Anyone who gets mad at this in the slightest is probably the same type of person that took issue with blue/black/purple shadows in Street Fighter way back when. They will never be reasoned with so just ignore them. What are they going to do, not buy Zelda retroactively?

There is no reason not to.

Zelda games have not felt 'dangerous' in a really long time. Probably not since Adventure of Link. Weapon durability brings a sense of danger that forces you to think about each encounter and choose your shots wisely. Yes, I do wish my 60-strength Royal Broadsword lasted longer because it fucks those silver moblins up with the quickness, but if it didn't wear down, there would be no danger. He'd just take a few more hits than a red moblin.

[*]Maybe upgrade weapon durability by collecting Dragon Parts. For example, visit one of the smith in a town, he will request random dragon parts an extra materials. However, each smith enhances an specific elemental weapon and does so for one at a time. So the player needs the parts of an specific dragon to enhance an electric sword for example and can only have 1 enhanced weapon for each element and for one type only. This would increase durability for 50% tops. [/list]

This, however, is a pretty cool idea. I'd tweak it though. Use a scale to buff a shield, use a fang to buff a short sword, use a claw to buff a spear, use a horn to buff a greatsword. Just kinda arbitrarily chose those; need to add bows to the mix too.

I'd make the elemental bit optional because it feels like a trade-off. Maybe use a diamond for a hardened weapon, but a sapphire/topaz/ruby for an elemental?

• In game Korok seed checklist
  • It rains too damn much.
  • If you're going to make it rain that much, allow the climbing gear armor set to climb wet walls
  • UI improvements, overall
  • Recipe book that keeps track of the recipes you've made in the past
  • I like the weapon durability system. But I'd also like a Fallout 4-esque weapon crafting/improvement system.
  • More stamp variety - colors, shapes, etc.

Takat

I want a better story to unfold, not memory fetching, but actual story.
I would have liked the feel of imminent danger, that every day more and more monsters appear, tougher monsters, that as long as I don't go and kill it as the source, towns will be destroyed.

Arttemis

Zelda games have not felt 'dangerous' in a really long time. Probably not since Adventure of Link. Weapon durability brings a sense of danger that forces you to think about each encounter and choose your shots wisely. Yes, I do wish my 60-strength Royal Broadsword lasted longer because it fucks those silver moblins up with the quickness, but if it didn't wear down, there would be no danger. He'd just take a few more hits than a red moblin.

This, however, is a pretty cool idea. I'd tweak it though. Use a scale to buff a shield, use a fang to buff a short sword, use a claw to buff a spear, use a horn to buff a greatsword. Just kinda arbitrarily chose those; need to add bows to the mix too.

I'd make the elemental bit optional because it feels like a trade-off. Maybe use a diamond for a hardened weapon, but a sapphire/topaz/ruby for an elemental?

Fuck, this sounds awesome. Add a blacksmith to the game to choose any particular weapon you want, and then add these potions. End game combat would actually be a highlight of an experience.

My reason for wanting a durability potion in't so I can hoard the strongest weapons - it's quite the opposite. I want to choose the specific weapons I want, most often for aesthetic reasons. Right now, the game punishes you for taking any time to find any particular weapon that isn't Royal-quality because it's too weak for Silver Bokoblins and it'll break after a single fight. That's no good.
My fully detailed reasons can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233438810#post233438810

Fuck, this sounds awesome. Add a blacksmith to the game to choose any particular weapon you want, and then add these potions. End game combat would actually be a highlight of an experience.

My reason for wanting a durability potion in't so I can hoard the strongest weapons - it's quite the opposite. I want to choose the specific weapons I want, most often for aesthetic reasons. Right now, the game punishes you for taking any time to find any particular weapon that isn't Royal-quality because it's too weak for Silver Bokoblins and it'll break after a single fight. That's no good.
My fully detailed reasons can be found here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=233438810#post233438810

Agreed. The way I played through the game, I never encountered Zora weapons until I was regularly finding Knight weapons. The Zora sword and shield were obsolete before I ever found them, but they look awesome! I wish I could buff them somehow so they can be usable. Plus it doesn't feel so good to have missed out on an entire tier of weapons because I backdoored myself into the Zora story.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
A title screen that isn't awful.
You knoe, this. I was expecting a xenoblade level title screen that is beautiful yet minamilist with great music, instead we got a art slideshow, now the art is fantastic but I really wanted more

Make rain less annoying. Slipping while climbing at least shouldn't take stamina.

7) Rain shouldn't make climbing impossible.

Yes! That's the killer part - climbing in the rain would be difficult, but not near-impossible if the slipping part didn't take almost as much stamina as each jump. Seems like a fair ask.
The game already has the means to balance climbing under rainy conditions:
  • Climbing gear and the full set bonus.
  • Stamina elixirs and foods.
  • Stamina Upgrades.
  • Rivali's (sp?) Gale.
  • Link can take 6 steps and then a hop between slips.
If you remove that then you end up with a less interesting game with a completlely trivialized climbing system specially several hours in when the player has various upgrades.

Move Run to left thumbstick click.
This gets suggested a lot and it's something with not much thought put into it. This wouldn't work because how Stamina management and running is implemented. The thumbstick click for runing works in games in which the that action works as a toggle. In Zelda it works a "press and hold" input.

Enemies that aren't caged inside invisible zones.

In the original HALO, hunters could chase you all across a map.

Make me fear being seen by a Lynel by knowing that if I can't find a creative escape, I know it's going to be able to chase after me.
In the original Halo most enemies were indeed "caged in to zones". The hunters did chase you.

However, i have run into mounted Bokoblin that chased me across grids.

Myriadis

I have this house in the game, various objects inside and the magnesis rune. It would be nice if I could move that stuff around.

Unicorn

Instead of the "legendary" items breaking, have them do less damage and need monster materials you can use in menu to sharpen back to full damage. Wearable gear is way more valuable because it isn't temporary.

Piers

This, or lower it drastically. I like shield surfing, but I never risk it because I don't want to burn out a shield unnecessarily.

Shield Surfing breaking shields didn't seem so bad for me because I rarely even get the chance to use shields — there are two weapon varieties (out of three) that take up both hands and throughout the game I constantly find my weapon slots taken up by stuff (that I naturally stumble upon) that can't use a shield. It's a bit frustrating.

There is the argument to specifically seek out one-handed weapons but with the durability system it feels a bit pointless imo.

I still think this game needs handholding to 100% the game. Optional of course. I'd like a quest and achievement system like most MMOs so I can finish the game bit by bit.

KingBroly

Banned
I wish you could repair and/or improve items. Like the Master Sword in Link to the Past. I'd love to take its' strength up to 150 or something.

Somnid

One new tweak I think would have helped balance a bit would be to only allow heart increasing food to take effect if it would naturally put you over your current cap. As it stands I just have pages of these from creating minimal recipes because they are so much more effective because they always full restore.

Along with this actual recipes need to be more powerful since you need multiple ingredients and need to discover them. They should give multiple buffs or something you can't ordinarily get. Meanwhile as soon as you get certain armors whole classes of items become useless since you don't need the cold/hot/fire buffs. Maybe they need some status effects enemies can inflict like poison or heart/stamina sealing.

Comandr

Weapon durability really killed this game for me. I love BotW don't get me wrong, but the fact that you can literally RUN OUT of weapons is inexcusable to me.

For the longest time, any time I encountered a "world boss" type enemy, I'd go in with a full bag of weapons that I've found, and due to some of their extreme sponginess (I'm looking at you Lynel.) I blow through all my melee and bow weapons. This is outrageous.

I propose that instead of DESTROYING the weapon/shield/bow, it becomes worn, and the damage drops significantly. Maybe an 80% or 90% effectiveness drop. I'm still encouraged to get new weapons, but at least I have something to defend myself with. This would also counter the relative pointlessness to shield surfing. There is currently in my mind no point to waste durability on surfing when you can paraglide down the same hill for free.

Maybe speed up stamina use during rain, instead of constantly slipping.

LaNaranja

A quick select wheel would be much better than the left to right scrolling for weapons.

A Fallout style weapon repair system would be great if they absolutely insist on having durability. Also legendary weapons should not break. No wonder Ganon beat the shit out of everyone so easily.

It's probably been mentioned, but an option to auto-switch to the next shield/weapon/bow if it breaks. Just have it auto-switch to the next in the cue. So many times I'm going ham in the middle of a flury rush and I lose a couple of seconds realizing my item is broken.
Auto Switch wouldn't work because there's a chance the player ends up with the wrong tool for the job.

In the post i made there's a suggestion that adresses this. After a weapon brakes either move the selector to the center of the line when the quick weapon menu is entered or move the unequip option to the center instead of the far left.

1. I kinda wish bombs were another item type like bows and shields like in TP. That way, they could bump up the damage since spam would be less viable.

Just make the horse teleport. They are only really useful for traveling the main roads because you're always jumping off cliffs or warping.

2. When pressing R to throw a weapon, you should be able to press a button like a or y to drop the weapon at your feet. This would greatly help inventory juggling.

3. Auto weapon cycle on break at least as a config option. This is especially problematic for bows as you can't quick select unless you are holding one.
1. Regarding bombs, there's no need to make them consumables to achieve what you want here. They could increase damage and cool downs while maintaining the present system. Something like this would be rather trivial to implement without much work.

2. Remember that R is used to aim certain weapon without throwing them like Rods or the Deku Leaf and "A" is always the cancel action button. "Y" is always the transition to combat button from other actions like using Runes.

i like many others think that drop items from quick menu would be decent enough.

3. Auto weapon cycle, read above about the potential shortcumings. Imagine the game auto switches to an elemental weapon of equal aligment to the enemy you are battling.

The horse system in BOTW sucks, and it doesn't make sense that this is where Nintendo goes for realism in the game considering we play as a character who can conjure up massive heavy weapons out of thin air. Usually horses in games are provided to enhance the gameplay, to provide a faster way to traverse the map. In this game it's the opposite.
This is a very system/simulation intensive game so extra care on balance and the interdependency of such systems should be considered, moving a thing on one end can affect another, like a domino effect. With this in mind i think Nontendo handled the horses well.

Doing what you suggest would trvialize numerous game systems after the player gathers 5 good mounts:
  • Remember that there are various plains in the game and these tend to host wild horses.
  • There are also horse riders that Link can take a mount from.
  • There's also various other animals that can be mounted. Doing what you suggest will minimize the incentive for players to try these things. The taming system would be used even less.
  • Player can equip special armor that enhances movement.
  • Cooking elixirs.
These system are implace to enhance movement and complement rather well how horses work in the game.

Top Bottom