• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom DLC spotted at the Official Website

Draugoth

Gold Member
zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-dlc-details-insider-gaming.jpg

Nintendo has yet to officially announce whether the highly anticipated sequel to Breath of the Wild will receive any downloadable content, but the game’s official website certainly seems to indicate so.

Included in the small text at the bottom of the Tears of the Kingdom website is the message: “Full version of game required to use DLC. Sold separately.”

No details about DLC plans are included, which is no real surprise given how much Nintendo has kept hidden about The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom ahead of the game’s release date.

No surprise at all. The first one had 2 substantial DLC packs, no doubt they sold really really well. If they’re as good or better than the first game’s DLC, I’ll bite

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Hopefully it’s not another case of locking hard-mode behind DLC like with BotW.

I did enjoy the second wave (Champions Ballad) a lot though, so hopefully they’ll do something more similar to that.

Hopefully it’s not another case of locking hard-mode behind DLC like with BotW.

I did enjoy the second wave (Champions Ballad) a lot though, so hopefully they’ll do something more similar to that.
I'm not sure the distinction of being a specific mode or not means it shouldn't be allowed to cost extra? It's content that otherwise likely wouldn't exist without the model planned of continued work on the game post-release, which is what the DLC was. The first pack was June, and the game came out in March. Also, being a 200+ hour game, a bit silly to make the suggestion that the game wasn't a good enough value without Master Mode. Imho. It had a lot more to it than just a higher difficulty level. They had to create new tiers of enemies, and it also had the 30-level Master Trial, which was like Eventide Island on steroids, etc.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Damn. Some guys told me that Tears of the Kingdom was BotW DLC. >_>

So playable Princess Zelda DLC when? Don't fail me now Nintendo.

I'm expecting the TotK DLC to become the third full Zelda game with the same BotW map again. Gotta milk that cow.

If it's anything like the BoTW DLC, I'll pass.

I never bought it, what didn't you fancy about it?

The Champions' Ballad questline where you get the bike was alright. I really enjoyed the mechanics of the last dungeon. Rest is garb.

Seeing that bike killed my interest in the DLC. I want Zelda to be in its own time and universe. A bike kills what little medieval fantasy there was left. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to in TotK. Frickin' tractors, man!

AJUMP23

Nintendo loves DLC and I think most of their DLC is pretty good, so when I finish the new game I don't mind getting more game.

They can do whatever they want of course, I just think it’s crappy to lock a difficulty setting behind DLC.
Yeah, I guess I'm 100% with you if it was like, a paid add-on DLC that was available like the same day the game came out. When they could've just included it in the game. That'd have been scummy, for sure. I hope this DLC is more story-focused like Champions Ballad, as I found the Master Trial pack fun only because they added the floating octo platforms in Master Mode. And it was like a whole new reason to play the entire game again.

I'm expecting the TotK DLC to become the third full Zelda game with the same BotW map again. Gotta milk that cow.

I never bought it, what didn't you fancy about it?

Seeing that bike killed my interest in the DLC. I want Zelda to be in its own time and universe. A bike kills what little medieval fantasy there was left. That's one thing I'm not looking forward to in TotK. Frickin' tractors, man!
Apparently the director Fujibayashi (Minish Cap, Skyward, BotW, TotK, etc) is a huge fan of vehicles, according to Kit and Krysta. And he was originally wanting the bike in the base game, but wasn't allowed. It's Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts BotW :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Apparently the director Fujibayashi (Minish Cap, Skyward, BotW, TotK, etc) is a huge fan of vehicles, according to Kit and Krysta. And he was originally wanting the bike in the base game, but wasn't allowed. It's Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts BotW :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I also heard he wanted to include the Minish people, which could be very cool to have a tiny town somewhere and you just couldn't see it before.

jaysius

Banned
Nintendo's DLC is the fucking worse, for BoTW it was basically cut features that could have been in the game. This is truly the darkest timeline.

Variahunter

Considering the BotW scam worked the first time, it's no surprise they're trying to do it again.
Great base game, but the amount of MTX (Amiibo) / DLC was baffling. Lot of armors, equipment, and even NPC (Wolf Link) were locked behind paid DLC and nobody even flinched. And let's not talk about the fucking hard mode locked behind a 30€ DLC !

I will gladly pay for TotK, even if we could argue that THIS is the real DLC... anyway I bought it for 37€.
But I will pirate everything else this time without regrets. But first I'll have to hack my Switch...

hacker GIF

Radio silence has got to end soon, right? Any week now? It comes out in 8 weeks, and it seems like they still have yet to do like a full-on, proper unveiling of the game, gameplay demonstation, talk about the arm weapons/ vehicle building, etc. How do you guys see them doing this, maybe a Treehouse Live event? Or will they do a big in-person media event and coincide it with a Treehouse Live? It's gotta be real soon, here.

It seems like a shame that this game never got a full showing at an E3 like the previous big Zeldas. So in lieu of that, I imagine there is something big planned, but we are 8 weeks out so something's gotta be happening. I'm just surprised there haven't been any whispers from media about being invited to anything, etc. Surely that has to be like any day now?

Last edited:
I like dlc to me it compliments the main game!
Agreed! It's there if you want it. I especially like that at least with Nintendo games, it seems DLC tends to be begun after the game releases, rather than content from the game being carved out and held back as DLC, or carved out and sold as DLC when it was all in the game already.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Radio silence has got to end soon, right? Any week now? It comes out in 8 weeks, and it seems like they still have yet to do like a full-on, proper unveiling of the game, gameplay demonstation, talk about the arm weapons/ vehicle building, etc. How do you guys see them doing this, maybe a Treehouse Live event? Or will they do a big in-person media event and coincide it with a Treehouse Live? It's gotta be real soon, here.

It seems like a shame that this game never got a full showing at an E3 like the previous big Zeldas. So in lieu of that, I imagine there is something big planned, but we are 8 weeks out so something's gotta be happening. I'm just surprised there haven't been any whispers from media about being invited to anything, etc. Surely that has to be like any day now?
According to fromer Nintendo Minute people who worked in the marketing for Nintendo, the Zelda team never wants to reveal too much on the games, they want to surprise players. I know it'll be tough, but there could be just a launch trailer and that's it.

According to fromer Nintendo Minute people who worked in the marketing for Nintendo, the Zelda team never wants to reveal too much on the games, they want to surprise players. I know it'll be tough, but there could be just a launch trailer and that's it.
That would seemingly go against how they've always marketed Zelda games, though. Obviously they are light on spoilers and whatnot, but basic game features have yet to be properly introduced. BotW's E3 unveiling was their entire booth and we got hours of footage, yet we only saw 2% of the game, for example. So there are ways to do what you are saying. And we all know they don't want to spoil anything, that's typical Nintendo.

Having said that, I am sure there is more planned for their biggest game in the last 6 years than just a launch trailer. LOL

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That would seemingly go against how they've always marketed Zelda games, though. Obviously they are light on spoilers and whatnot, but basic game features have yet to be properly introduced. BotW's E3 unveiling was their entire booth and we got hours of footage, yet we only saw 2% of the game, for example.

I am sure there is more planned for their biggest game in the last 6 years than just a launch trailer. LOL
They already revealed the collector's edition. I'm not expecting a lot else honestly. They're probably able to market less since it's a direct sequel and is highly sought after already.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That would seemingly go against how they've always marketed Zelda games, though. Obviously they are light on spoilers and whatnot, but basic game features have yet to be properly introduced. BotW's E3 unveiling was their entire booth and we got hours of footage, yet we only saw 2% of the game, for example. So there are ways to do what you are saying. And we all know they don't want to spoil anything, that's typical Nintendo.

I am sure there is more planned for their biggest game in the last 6 years than just a launch trailer. LOL
I wish, I wanna see more. We have a seen a lot of stuff, it's just seconds of all of it.

I wish, I wanna see more. We have a seen a lot of stuff, it's just seconds of all of it.
Oh, I feel it! It's in the air!

I think they probably also understand part of the challenge with this being the first 3D Zelda that is a direct sequel, that with what they've shown so far, they probably want to make special note of how this is different than the first. So highlighting the vehicle stuff, the arm weapon/ cannon thing, the ground tattoos, even coming out and saying "yes there are several traditional dungeons that will satisfy you if you loved OoT, MM, WW, TP, don't worry we heard your feedback". Maybe you are right that they are going to go light on the marketing with this one, given it will be guaranteed to sell 15 million copies. But still part of me thinks they are planning an E3-like media event either later this month or in April to hype everyone up and highlight some of the key features. That as you've pointed out, we've seen tiny glimpses of, but that is all.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Radio silence has got to end soon, right? Any week now?
My guess would be a Direct sometime mid April. We know they have this DLC as well as a Zelda themed Switch coming so there’s definitely something happening to announce all this stuff.

My guess would be a Direct sometime mid April. We know they have this DLC as well as a Zelda themed Switch coming so there’s definitely something happening to announce all this stuff.
I think February was their big shot for first half this year, and we won't get another Direct til late summer, since no E3. They strategically have not confirmed any games past Pikmin in July. I think their big focus between now and May is Zelda, and they'll do something big for it, but it seems like a Treehouse Live to coincide with a media event would make more sense than a themed Direct. But since it's Nintendo, who knows what they are up to.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Oh, I feel it! It's in the air!

I think they probably also understand part of the challenge with this being the first 3D Zelda that is a direct sequel, that with what they've shown so far, they probably want to make special note of how this is different than the first. So highlighting the vehicle stuff, the arm weapon/ cannon thing, the ground tattoos, even coming out and saying "yes there are several traditional dungeons that will satisfy you if you loved OoT, MM, WW, TP, don't worry we heard your feedback". Maybe you are right that they are going to go light on the marketing with this one, given it will be guaranteed to sell 15 million copies. But still part of me thinks they are planning an E3-like media event either later this month or in April to hype everyone up and highlight some of the key features. That as you've pointed out, we've seen tiny glimpses of, but that is all.
They haven't really done light marketing, this is how they market most of their games. They think their Directs are enough, and they are ok with that.

Nintendo is also pretty shitty in understanding how to capitalize, they are not like the Pokemon company who has an entire company for that. Look at the Mario movie, no new game, shitty bundle. Animal Crossing, biggest thing since sliced bread, there was like 1 DLC and moving on.

They are just bad at marketing, and they think the games sell themselves.

Robb

Gold Member
but it seems like a Treehouse Live to coincide with a media event would make more sense than a themed Direct.
Could be, I guess it depends on how much they want to show. I’d love some extended treehouse gameplay of the new mechanics though.

I think a direct would be more fitting to announce stuff like a special edition system and DLC packs, but I guess they could also just announce that stuff whenever.

Top Bottom