• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Tears Of The Kingdom Is Japan's 7th Biggest Game Launch Of All Time

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
And I still had to hear some zoomer claim that FF8 was not popular and FF9 was "overrated".

But you see, if Sony wants to be big in Japan again, they really need big budget traditional turn-based JRPGs.
Not those abominations like FF7R, FF15 and 16, and low effort games like Octopffft Traveller and similar that Squeenix craps out.

Last edited:
I'm not quite as big on TotK as some, although I still think it's very good, but it definitely deserves to be above each of those games above it.

Fbh

Damn I was aware Japan liked Splatoon but I didn't know it was THAT much.

Though I guess it does have young girls AND tentacles, so I guess it makes sense.

Astral Dog

And I still had to hear some zoomer claim that FF8 was not popular and FF9 was "overrated".

But you see, if Sony wants to be big in Japan again, they really need big budget traditional turn-based JRPGs.
Not those abominations like FF7R, FF15 and 16, and low effort games like Octopffft Traveller and similar that Squeenix craps out.
Final Fantasy XVI is gonna be awesome 🙌

Codes 208

I forgot how big splatoon 3 was, well deserved.
Pokemon scarlet is the biggest???!!
pokemon + botw sandbox + absolute pre-launch hype for a handheld console, in japan, is a recipe for instant success.

Im not surprised that like half the list consists of pokemon in general

Pokemon arceus is the best switch pokemon game but i digress

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
I feel Nintendo dominating that list is a story. The fact Zelda is up there with the more ocean crowd games is pretty awesome for gamers.

Muffdraul

It's not. Those sales were people wanting the sequel to FFVII, just like why RE5 sold so much out of the gate.
Exactly. FFVIII pre-orders were through the roof based on FFVII's success, then when it released hundreds of thousands of newbie fans who'd never played an FF prior to VII said, "Wtf is this shit? Where's Cloud?!?!?!"

Don't get me wrong, I love FFVIII, but I'll never forget the hilarious mega-backlash that started the day it released.

Even though I prefer the classic 3D Zelda’s over these open world versions I am REALLY EXCITED what all this success means for the Zelda franchise. I’m expecting movies , more funding for remakes of the ones I love, just more Zelda with higher budgets. Exciting times.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Having fun playing my legally purchased copy on my Yuzu emulator.

Nintendo needs a more powerful system. Gamers shouldn't have to resort to emulation to get the best game experience.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It looks great on Switch OLEDS which is why Nintendos so selling so many of them with TOTK

This game made for Switch OLED screen

Nautilus

Banned

I agree with most of what you said, but then you lost me at the end. Both AA games, and big budget turn based JRPGs can co exist

Top Bottom