• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zenith: The Last City - VR MMO (Crossplay)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Featured-Zenith-The-Last-City-Is-Zenith-The-Last-City-crossplay.jpg

Release Date: 01/27/2022
Developer: Ramen VR
**PSVR requires dual Move controllers**

This just released to all available VR headsets. One-time fee MMO and cross platform.

It's on sale right now for $27 with PS+. Normal price is $30. Developer says there's currently 100 hours of content.

Is anyone getting this game? Want to hang out in the VR world? lol. I've never played an MMO but figured this is worth checking out. I watched a few minutes of footage, and it seems entertaining enough and the music was good.

Seems like a somewhat barebones experience right now, just basic kill X amount of enemies, gather X amount of items type quests. Crafting buffs is utilized via a cooking mechanic.

Sounds like you can explore pretty much anything too, there's a zipline mechanic (I think)

If anyone is planning on getting this, or already has it. Let's try to team up. It's downloading for me right now, I'll probably check it out if I can play it before it gets too late. I'll post some initial thoughts and all that.

MMO immediately made me cautious. Cant play that long in vr still without discomfort. It looks good though but seems ahead of its time.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Game is awesome, despite some major criticisms. The climbing feels amazing too. I went with a support mage.

I should note that I generally don't enjoy MMOs too much, but this being VR has made it that much more fun for me.

EDIT: Also I didn't get any nausea while playing despite flying all over the place.

Last edited:

nikos

Definitely want to check this out, just need to decide which version to get.

Steam - better visuals/performance (unless it's capped).
Quest 2 - no cables or having to use link.

Hawk269

Definitely want to check this out, just need to decide which version to get.

Steam - better visuals/performance (unless it's capped).
Quest 2 - no cables or having to use link.
Worth noting that if you buy the Quest 2 version, you also get the PC Quest 2 version. So you can play the game native Quest 2 or Air Link, Virtual PC or Link Cable the PCVR version.

fart town usa

Gold Member
At this point, at least for me. The game is an unplayable mess.

I'm literally stuck in water in the very first part of the game.

There's like 3 of us running around the PS server, aimlessly, cause there was no clue on where to go and no way to pull up any kind of menu. My arms were just going insane, just moving erratically. Managed to grab my gun and killed some Chimera's and then thought I'd jump over some water. Mind you, there's a fence alongside this area of water, but there's a break in the fence on both sides in one section. I figure I'll jump it to try and master the controls. I fall in the water and I literally can't get out. No ladders or anything and you apparently can breath underwater cause I'm not dying. It's like purgatory.

I closed out of the game, loaded it back up. Spawned me in the water. This game is a complete mess right now.

The character creation/registration music is awesome though. Major PSO vibes but good grief, the game itself is an unplayable nightmare for me.

I'll try it again tomorrow but seriously, it's not playable even if I wasn't stuck in the water. The tracking on the Move controllers is just shit and it seems to just be this game, Skyrim and other VR games are just fine.

edit- Watching a video on YouTube, it looks like you can free climb on things. I'll have to try that. Really though? It would have been nice if I could just see a control list or have some kind of indication. This isn't a beta, just bad gameplay design so far.

Last edited:

nikos

Worth noting that if you buy the Quest 2 version, you also get the PC Quest 2 version. So you can play the game native Quest 2 or Air Link, Virtual PC or Link Cable the PCVR version.

Perfect, that pretty much settles it. Thank you!

Hawk269

I have been enjoying the game. Yeah, it is not the greatest thing, but it works. The game has just been pure fun. I play a mix of Virtual Desktop to my Quest 2 and at times just the native Quest 2 version. There are some jank, which is expected, but overall the game is fun and has been holding my interest. I have played it daily since launch.

R6Rider

Gold Member
At this point, at least for me. The game is an unplayable mess.

I'm literally stuck in water in the very first part of the game.

There's like 3 of us running around the PS server, aimlessly, cause there was no clue on where to go and no way to pull up any kind of menu. My arms were just going insane, just moving erratically. Managed to grab my gun and killed some Chimera's and then thought I'd jump over some water. Mind you, there's a fence alongside this area of water, but there's a break in the fence on both sides in one section. I figure I'll jump it to try and master the controls. I fall in the water and I literally can't get out. No ladders or anything and you apparently can breath underwater cause I'm not dying. It's like purgatory.

I closed out of the game, loaded it back up. Spawned me in the water. This game is a complete mess right now.

The character creation/registration music is awesome though. Major PSO vibes but good grief, the game itself is an unplayable nightmare for me.

I'll try it again tomorrow but seriously, it's not playable even if I wasn't stuck in the water. The tracking on the Move controllers is just shit and it seems to just be this game, Skyrim and other VR games are just fine.

edit- Watching a video on YouTube, it looks like you can free climb on things. I'll have to try that. Really though? It would have been nice if I could just see a control list or have some kind of indication. This isn't a beta, just bad gameplay design so far.
I had no issues getting stuck yet, but I was overwhelmed at the start too. It took me a LONG time to realize the left Move controller Options button is your menu. If you are stuck somewhere try climbing out by using the triggers to grab and release on basically anything.

As for tracking, I actually have had too many issues and all of them had to deal with gliding while trying to grab things in the air. I have my camera up really high angled down, and play in a pretty dark room as well.

I also suggest changing the gliding option to Strafe as that's generally what the community (and myself) has found to be the best. Also in the options is the ability to toggle on Move controller as analog stick so it controls more like Skyrim VR.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I had no issues getting stuck yet, but I was overwhelmed at the start too. It took me a LONG time to realize the left Move controller Options button is your menu. If you are stuck somewhere try climbing out by using the triggers to grab and release on basically anything.

As for tracking, I actually have had too many issues and all of them had to deal with gliding while trying to grab things in the air. I have my camera up really high angled down, and play in a pretty dark room as well.

I also suggest changing the gliding option to Strafe as that's generally what the community (and myself) has found to be the best. Also in the options is the ability to toggle on Move controller as analog stick so it controls more like Skyrim VR.
Do you mean the PS button on the Move controller? I was hitting each button except for that cause I figured it'd just bring up the home screen.

edit, lol. I see now, I forgot that there are buttons on the sides of the move controllers. I've never used them for anything before.

Last edited:

Meave

Neo Member
I’m not an MMO person but this game has me hooked. Forget what it looks like in videos, once your in this world it changes everything. From hearing casual conversations between people as you walk by, to climbing anything and soaring off into the distance, it’s an amazing experience. Sure, it has issues, but for the price and what you are getting (the map is huge) it’’s definitely worth jumping in to check out.

I’m playing on the Quest 2 BTW and beside the 1st day server issues, I haven‘t had any problems at all.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Forget what it looks like in videos, once your in this world it changes everything.
I find this is true with basically every VR game. They don't translate well to flat videos and trailers.

I'll be hopping on tonight to do more early quests. So far I've mostly been exploring.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, this game is unplayable for me. My left hand in it just moves all over the place. Managed to grab my left gun but it literally is just pointed sideways, lol. I tested other dual move games, Rush of Blood and Skyrim, no issues whatsoever in those.

edit- I found an old Move controller from the PS3 gen that I forgot I had, used it in place of one of the other controllers and that solved the issue. It's so weird cause Zenith was the only game that was having issues.

It's pretty fun, I don't see myself getting hooked on it but it definitely has a lot of potential and will probably grow into something pretty epic and cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom