• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma (Zero Escape 3) review thread

Ponn

Banned
Isn't it just about how the watched are delayed and people won't be getting them with the game on the 28th, but on the 18th of July instead?

So the watch edition is delayed till the 18th of July then? Wow, that sucks since the hardcore who want to play the game probably are the ones that ordered that watch edition, besides the scalpers of course.

DNAbro

I don't mind if the watch is delayed as long as we get the game on time! Or give the people who pre-ordered the watch edition a free digital download code for the game ;) I don't think they'll go that far though!

I would be 1000% okay with that, but it's probably not going to happen.

icecream

Public Health Threat
So the watch edition is delayed till the 18th of July then? Wow, that sucks since the hardcore who want to play the game probably are the ones that ordered that watch edition, besides the scalpers of course.
No, the game is still releasing normally, you just won't get the actual watch with the game but later on the 18th instead.

No, the game is still releasing normally, you just won't get the actual watch with the game but later on the 18th instead.

I feel like this is gonna be a nightmare with Amazon and their tracking. Unless Aksys personally gets a list of all the people who ordered the watch edition and mails it out to them at a later date.

Ponn

Banned

Uh, whos eating those shipping costs? I'm going to wait on official word then, that sounds like a nightmare for retail to keep track of costing them money for a preorder bonus.

DNAbro

Saw this on reddit, said it was from Gamestop
ZEIuPWX.png

so yeah watch is delayed

takoyaki

Saw this on reddit, said it was from Gamestop
ZEIuPWX.png

so yeah watch is delayed

At least they are shipping the game itself on time and it doesn't sound like you'll be charged twice for shipping. But this really sucks for Aksys, considering that a good number of pre-orders must be from international customers which makes shipping costs a lot higher for them.

takoyaki

gamingbolt 8/10
Zero Time Dilemma is an immensely satisfying conclusion to what might be one of the best, best told stories in the history of the medium.

THE GOOD: Some of the best puzzles in the series, the return of the tense atmosphere from 999, a great story with some sharp writing, a genius use of literary ergodism

THE BAD: Terrible presentation and production values, with choppy cutscenes, poor voice acting, and low budget cinematics; some very poor puzzles; impossible to follow for newcomers to the series; the story can sometimes get far too clever for its own good

gamers-haven 87/100
Now I should mention that Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma is the first Spike Chunsoft title I have ever played and so with that statement let it be known. I am really enjoying myself so let’s jump right into the review now shall we?

[...]In conclusion though the game offers a unique and varying experience and is definitely one of the more unique titles we have had the privilege of playing. Which I can only really say I hope you pick up a copy upon its release as it is really good despite its few flaws that I mentioned.

ps3blog.net 100/100
Zero Time Dilemma is a masterpiece and a must play game for Vita owners. I would love to see more from the series, but think this might be swansong on it, but we shall see. As stated earlier this game is awesome, and you should be playing it. People will be talking about this game for years to come. If this Zero Time Dilemma review hasn’t made it extremely clear, you should rush out to buy this game.

Pros: Challenging puzzles, Excellent Cell Shaded graphics, Mindbending Story that you do not see in games usually
Cons: This is potentially last in the series

novacav

Is anyone else having trouble believing the voice acting is *that* horrible? Especially the Gaming Bolt review. I'm not saying I don't believe the reviewer, but VLR's dub was so phenomenal. Not sure what exactly could've changed so drastically in the recording/directing of actors process. I know they have fewer stud VAs this time, but I feel like that's not it. Something's odd.

Is anyone else having trouble believing the voice acting is *that* horrible? Especially the Gaming Bolt review. I'm not saying I don't believe the reviewer, but VLR's dub was so phenomenal. Not sure what exactly could've changed so drastically in the recording/directing of actors process. I know they have fewer stud VAs this time, but I feel like that's not it. Something's odd.

I think it's a combination of the voice director for VLR not returning for ZTD, as well as the smaller budget for English VAs leading to a less, as you said, stud cast.

I don't know, though. A few reviews praised the voice acting, and the voice acting in the leaked footage sounded pretty great.

novacav

I think it's a combination of the voice director for VLR not returning for ZTD, as well as the smaller budget for English VAs leading to a less, as you said, stud cast.

I don't know, though. A few reviews praised the voice acting, and the voice acting in the leaked footage sounded pretty great.

Glad to hear it was good in the leaked footage. Like really glad. I haven't watched it and will probably just hold out at this point.

I think the rest of your analysis makes sense... just a mix of things I suppose. Was Ben Bateman the former VA director? He came up with the name "Virtue's Last Reward" too I think. What an absolute boss. Shame he left.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Sad to hear. The VLR rabbit's voice is probably one of my favorite English VA performances in a game.

Two Words

I gotta say, judging from the trailers, Zero Jr. was a much better game master than Zero in this game. I hate the whole Jigsaw voice thing. Makes listening to Zero speak really annoying.

takoyaki

Is anyone else having trouble believing the voice acting is *that* horrible? Especially the Gaming Bolt review.

Reviewers really seem to be split when it comes to the English voice acting (I think the majority liked it though). Here's another review that basically says the exact opposite of the Gaming Bolt review:

sega-addicts [Spoiler-Free Review]

[…]For the first time in the series, this game is having a worldwide release, so all copies of the game will feature both English and Japanese audio tracks. I played this game with the English voice track, and I was really blown away by how high the quality was. It was always nice to switch to the Japanese track on occasion (which can now easily be done at any time with no load screens), but I found myself loving the English voice cast. There can be the rare awkward line, but Zero Time Dilemma features an absolutely amazing dub and I vastly prefer it to the Japanese voice track. The Japanese voice track is still fine, but I for the most part I think the characters just sound better in English.

[…] I don’t think I’ll ever forget what I experienced in my time playing the Decision Game, and I’ll never regret the memories I’ve made with this magnificent series.

[…]A better name of this game would be: Zero Escape: Ain’t Life A Bitch?

Gvitor

The voice acting is great. Zero's VA in particular is fantastic.

The problem, again, hangs on the animations. Scenes that should be emotional, or impactful, lose that importance because the voice acting seems off when the models and animations don't correspond to it. For example, someone crying. It's hard to take the VA's cry serious when the face doesn't match the acting.

They use some nice camera play and angles to make up for it, but that doesn't happen everytime. I talk about this on my review, but since it's not in english I won't be posting it here. I gave it a 9, btw.

takoyaki

clarification on the status of the Watch Edition on twitter:

screenshot2016-06-25ax5y69.png

more info in this GAF thread

wii-brasil 9/10 [Portuguese review]
A vida é simplesmente injusta, você não acha?

None of its problems can take away Zero Time Dilemma's brilliance. They're annoying hiccups soon forgotten when the game goes back into surreal events and puzzle-filled enclosures. Zero Escape 3 is, much like the previous games in the series, hard to leave, with its misteries lingering over players' heads even after closing the 3DS. It's the long awaited final episode, that resurged after many had lost hope. Sometimes, yes, life can be fair.
Plaudite, acta est fabula.
(Applaud, the play is over)

novacav

Reviewers really seem to be split when it comes to the English voice acting (I think the majority liked it though). Here's another review that basically says the exact opposite of the Gaming Bolt review:

sega-addicts [Spoiler-Free Review]

Thanks for linking that! I feel reassured. That person's experience sounds more like what I'd expect out of a sequel to VLR.

SilentRob

So it's very likely I'll work on a video about the game (and its predecessors...in german) in the future, but I just wanted to stop by here to say this:

I'm very close to the end of the game. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of 999 and VLR, just played through both of them a few days ago again in preparation for this game and I was pretty much stumped how Kotaro Uchikoshi would ever be able to really give me a satisfying conclusion to this mindfuck of a storyline.

But oh dear, does he ever. Again, I'm not done yet but even if the last hour falls completely flat, the rest of the game, the answers I got and the nature of this game's story have already blown my expectations out of the water. This is everything you guys wish for and more. It's amazing.

novacav

So it's very likely I'll work on a video about the game (and its predecessors...in german) in the future, but I just wanted to stop by here to say this:

I'm very close to the end of the game. I'm a huge, HUGE fan of 999 and VLR, just played through both of them a few days ago again in preparation for this game and I was pretty much stumped how Kotaro Uchikoshi would ever be able to really give me a satisfying conclusion to this mindfuck of a storyline.

But oh dear, does he ever. Again, I'm not done yet but even if the last hour falls completely flat, the rest of the game, the answers I got and the nature of this game's story have already blown my expectations out of the water. This is everything you guys wish for and more. It's amazing.

Sweet, sweet music to my ears :'D

Gvitor

wii-brasil 9/10 [Portuguese review]

Hahaha, you're right about that one, but that's a direct translation of Zero's line. (and the first line in the review)

I guess I can translate the last paragraph, since it's the quote going to Metacritic... eventually.

None of its problems can take away Zero Time Dilemma's brilliance. They're annoying hiccups soon forgotten when the game goes back into surreal events and puzzle-filled enclosures. Zero Escape 3 is, much like the previous games in the series, hard to leave, with its misteries lingering over players' heads even after closing the 3DS. It's the long awaited final episode, that resurged after many had lost hope. Sometimes, yes, life can be fair.
Plaudite, acta est fabula.
(Applaud, the play is over)

Hylian7

I just talked to Amazon customer service. If you ordered the watch edition there, you got screwed. They told me I'm not getting the game or the watch until August 19. That's absolute fucking horseshit and I tried again and again to explain to the manager than the other retailers were shipping the game anyway and the watch later.

I'm planning on hitting up Amazon's social media about this, because this is unacceptable. I preordered a year ago and this is the thanks I get?

Nachos

For those curious, someone posted the voice credits (with no characters attached to the names), but I'm pretty sure I've got this straight. Just going to spoiler it just in case someone might connect something to one of the remaining actors:

Main Cast:
Carlos - ???
Eric - Keith Silverstein (Credited as David Roach)
Phi - Karen Strassman
Q - Jonquil Goode (Credited as Joni Goode)
Junpei - ???
Akane - Rena Strober
Diana - Eden Riegel (Uncredited)
Mira - Rachel Kimsey (Nozomi in Persona 4: Dancing All Night)
Sigma - Matt Mercer
Zero - DC Douglas (Uncredited)

Remaining VOs:
Kirk Thornton (Definitely not one of the nine)
Evan Smith (Not listed; may or may not be in)
Julia Arem
Kyle Arem
Valerie Arem

Other stuff:
None of the Arems are listed on Voice Bank, which means they don't have agents. Kyle and Julia could've been brought in through the family, since Keith and Valerie Arem own the studio where the game was recorded.

SexyFish

Banned
I just talked to Amazon customer service. If you ordered the watch edition there, you got screwed. They told me I'm not getting the game or the watch until August 19. That's absolute fucking horseshit and I tried again and again to explain to the manager than the other retailers were shipping the game anyway and the watch later.

I'm planning on hitting up Amazon's social media about this, because this is unacceptable. I preordered a year ago and this is the thanks I get?

I'd wait for more information. Customer service doesn't know everything instantly.

Eusis

I'd wait for more information. Customer service doesn't know everything instantly.
This. I'd think at worst we'd get the game July 19th rather than August 19th (how random!) with the computer saying it's August 19th to be on the safe side.

DrCullenPHD

Neo Member
Thanks for linking that! I feel reassured. That person's experience sounds more like what I'd expect out of a sequel to VLR.

I was linked to this thread by a friend, glad to see my review was able to reassure you! (I usually don't go on neogaf ever, but I've had an account for about a year.)

takoyaki

Meh, I just found a glitch/error?

Zero's Voice is really REALLY low. I have headphone and I can barely hear him.

Yeah, at least one review mentioned sound issues with the 3DS version.

Gimme a sec...

edit: www.reviews2go.com/zero-escape-zero-time-dilemma-review

Then we have the volume issue on the 3DS. When you play the game on the Vita, there is an obvious difference in how Zero’s voice is compared to everything else. It’s not as loud and sometimes you need to tweak the voice volume to hear him correctly. Along with this, the voice is strangely low in the 3DS version compared to the Vita version. Even with the voice volume all the way up and the system volume cranked all the way up, I had a hard time hearing what he was saying even when I was in a silent room.

divine punishment? :p

Gvitor

3DS version's sound is indeed low. Set bgm and sfx to 4 and voice to 10. Use headphones and play in a quiet environment. That's what I did. It's not perfect, but it works. I can't speak for the vita version.

DrCullenPHD

Neo Member
3DS version's sound is indeed low. Set bgm and sfx to 4 and voice to 10. Use headphones and play in a quiet environment. That's what I did. It's not perfect, but it works. I can't speak for the vita version.

I was able to set voices to 10 and BGM to 6 on vita and it worked pretty well. Kept SFX to 8. I guess they were just lower on 3ds? Didn't play too much of that one except to see how the graphics and puzzle segments looked.

Top Bottom