• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Banned
I binged the first half yesterday and binging the 2nd have today starting in 30 minutes.

I also hope they kill Daryl off this season just for pure enjoyment of seeing the internet have a complete fucking meltdown. I know it won't happen but it would be fun to watch none the less. Also, is
Negan showing up this season?
It's a comic book character that was confirmed for the show but i know some people are sensitive but in case you are worried it's just a character name.

Daryl will die when Norman Reedus no longer wants to be attached to the show and AMC can't offset that by giving him enough money to stick around. Having fan armor in a show like this hurts the "no one is safe" mentality, but keeps viewers coming back.

oneils

I have a silly question. Last season, after the credits, they would sometimes have a little scene with Morgan. Did this happen in other seasons too? I've always wondered if I should go back and check it out.

DrStiles

So excited for this. Just started watching over the summer and finished about a week ago. Can't wait to finally be able to watch along live this season.

dustyherb

I binged the first half yesterday and binging the 2nd have today starting in 30 minutes.

I also hope they kill Daryl off this season just for pure enjoyment of seeing the internet have a complete fucking meltdown. I know it won't happen but it would be fun to watch none the less. Also, is
Negan showing up this season?
It's a comic book character that was confirmed for the show but i know some people are sensitive but in case you are worried it's just a character name.
the big rumor going around right now is that season 6 is going to end with his introduction, most likely his intro from issue 100.

The one disappointment I have recently is the reduction of time spent with Daryl, Glenn, and Carl. The original characters outside of Rick and Carol seem to have little evolution to them while I found their character arcs before Alexandria the best part of the show. Especially Carl.

Based on what I've seen of the graphic novels, Carl seems to be a much larger character in that then in the show. I wonder why they have de-emphasized him?

I thought Daryl had plenty to do in S5, especially after his huge S4. Glenn to a lesser extent but he still had a story-line. I do agree that Rick and Carol were more prevalent last season though, Rick is understandable.

I agree with Carl. Not sure what happened to him last season. His "pay-off" for doing nothing for the season was running the woods with a girl he just met. I will say though that Carl in the comics doesn't become a main, main focus until a certain story-beat that the show has yet to reach.

That story-beat is happening this season, so there will probably be more of him. If you want to know what it is, go read the TWD spoiler thread

I barely see any scenes with Carl in these trailers? I'm worried he's going to get forgotten again among the Alexandria Rick vs Morgan story.

Small spoiler regarding him in the first episode
According to previewers he apparently takes a big back-seat and Baby Judith has more air-time. However I can guarantee you that he'll have a lot more to do this season than last season.

Re: untouchable Daryl: I wonder if bringing in
Jesus
will change that.

Doubtful.

It's not so much other characters that change or remove Daryl... its Daryl that changes them. Look at Tyreese and Abraham for example... both at one time were the "badass" of the group as Rick's right hand man and we all know how that worked out on the show.

I do hope Daryl is axed soon though... I don't dislike him... it's more like I dislike the writers obvious bias for the character which ends up taking away from others.

neoism

Daryl will die when Norman Reedus no longer wants to be attached to the show and AMC can't offset that by giving him enough money to stick around. Having fan armor in a show like this hurts the "no one is safe" mentality, but keeps viewers coming back.

yeah it seems like he loves it though and the people he gets to work with..

neoism

Doubtful.

It's not so much other characters that change or remove Daryl... its Daryl that changes them. Look at Tyreese and Abraham for example... both at one time were the "badass" of the group as Rick's right hand man and we all know how that worked out on the show.

I do hope Daryl is axed soon though... I don't dislike him... it's more like I dislike the writers obvious bias for the character which ends up taking away from others.

100.gif

meh just because they live in a world like that doesnt mean it should be the shows shtick.. its not GoT.. and im dun with that show.. it shit on and shit on my fav characters.. and it just went to far at the end of s5 im tired of it.. having a few protected characters doesnt bother me at all..thankfully they know everyone loves daryl and will loose viewers over it.. me included.. same with rick for me... i have the view point like how sopranos did..
once the main, main goes, the show is no more
.. i do like other characters, but my favs better stay to the last ep...

100.gif

meh just because they live in a world like that doesnt mean it should be the shows shtick.. its not GoT.. and im dun with that show.. it shit on and shit on my fav characters.. and it just went to far at the end of s5 i tired of it.. having a few protected characters doesnt bother me at all..thankfully they know everyone loves daryl and will loose viewers over it.. me included.. same with rick for me... i have the view point like how sopranos did..
once the main, main goes the show is no more
.. i do like other characters, but my favs better stay to the last ep...

They'd lose viewers over it but I think the effect his death would have on the ratings is exaggerated beyond belief.

neoism

Sounds correct... although both 2 and 4 probably deserved weak reviews for their premieres and got soft-balled by the press.

yeah you know i was about the quit the show watching season 2.. some really stupid thing s the characters did.. the first few eps... it got better and better though.. at the end i was hooked.. i still hate season 3 the most... reallllllllllllly hated the governor storyline and that character, plus that women from the first season forgot her name my god what a shitting character...smfh.. then season 4 had the lame sick thang plus more governor.... but like i said before in the other thread this show is best when they go in discover/survivor mode... i hope they arent at the house community for long.... i guess the other way is more expenisve to film so they dont do it as much...

you know i wonder how it would have went if frank stayed on the show... feel wise season one was the best... real shame he got fucked over by amc..

Enco

The only two characters are 100% safe (at least until the series finale) are Rick and Carl.

Everyone else doesn't have much armour.

jerry113

Banned
Fan favourites tend to have armour.

Dary will likely survive until the finale.

I wish the show wasn't as popular - maybe just moderately popular. They might be less adverse to taking risks in favor of making a less predictable storyline if that were the case.

It's no fun if they kill off only the characters people don't like.

Setsuna

I wish the show wasn't as popular - maybe just moderately popular. They might be less adverse to taking risks in favor of making a less predictable storyline if that were the case.

It's no fun if they kill off only the characters people don't like.

Why would anyone watch a show that has no characters they like

jerry113

Banned

I'm not saying to kill off only the likable characters. I'm saying kill off likable and unlikable characters equally.

Characters with obvious plot armor remove all the suspense from what is supposedly a horror postapocalyptic show.

After watching Fear The Walking Dead I am pretty hyped for this. The side show is so bad that it made the previous seasons of Walking Dead look like Sopranos meets The Wire in retrospect.

The only two characters are 100% safe (at least until the series finale) are Rick and Carl.

There are a good number of characters with plot armor. Hell, they didn't even show how Glenn survived at the end of last season because they knew they'd have to defy all the laws of logic to make it happen, so they rightfully didn't even try and just had him show up later in the episode.

I'd say Rick, Carl, Judith, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn and Maggie are all pretty safe this season. Hopefully Morgan too. Comic spoilers:
With the intro of Negan at the end of this season I think Glenn will be out next season.
But maybe they'll twist it and do it with another character as they did with Hershel.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't wait for the Morgan vs Rick dynamic to start up. That ending cliff hanger earlier this year. PAINFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

jerry113

Banned
I'd say Rick, Carl, Judith, Michonne, Daryl, Glenn and Maggie are all pretty safe this season. Hopefully Morgan too. Comic spoilers:
With the intro of Negan at the end of this season I think Glenn will be out next season.
But maybe they'll twist it and do it with another character as they did with Hershel.

Daryl, come on. Do it.

RangerX

Banned

You don't have to kill all the popular characters but surely all tension is gone if practically all the popular characters are immune to death. I'd nearly bet my house that Daryl will never be killed which kinda ruins dampens his scenes.

I'm just glad the safest person on the show is also the best person on the show and that is Rick. Bless.

Maggie can stick around too. The rest I love but I could live without. Gabriel needs to die asap on the show. I like Sasha but if she's still acting a fool she gosta go.

I agree with this to an extent.

Daryl is definitely third on the list although the difference between him and the Grimes boys is that he's "safe" because of his popularity. Rick and Carl are safe because they're Rick and Carl. Anyone could of been popular in Daryl's place but there's only one Rick and one Carl.

I will say that if Daryl doesn't die in the season finale this season then I think he'll survive the rest of the series.

You don't have to kill all the popular characters but surely all tension is gone if practically all the popular characters are immune to death. I'd nearly bet my house that Daryl will never be killed which kinda ruins dampens his scenes.
Do people feel the same way about shows like Breaking Bad? A character dying is like the worst way to add drama IMO; sure it's a good shock OMG moment but then any possible drama or growth for that character is gone.

Rather have a character evolve like Carol than just kill a character off just because

I do think Daryl getting the
Lucille treatment
would not only be a great send-off but an amazing introduction to him.

I do like watching them evolve. I've enjoyed watching Carol and I do not want her to die. It's the ones who don't evolve, who repeat terrible patterns, that is like to see gone. See also: my issues with Rick. Sigh.

But in a show like this, you do need death and it can't always be extras and side folks. There's an argument that the main cast has learned to survive and is safer, but there's too much risk and chance for everyone to be totally safe.

Gorillaz

First year in awhile im hype for the entire season.

Im also in the group that feels daryl will take the L this season but obviously at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom